Start by marking “Dogtown: A Sanctuary for Rescued Dogs” as Want to Read:
Dogtown: A Sanctuary for Rescued Dogs

Dogtown: A Sanctuary for Rescued Dogs

This inspiring new book gives readers an inside look at the dogs who are rescued and rehabilitated by Best Friends Animal Society at Dogtown, part of the largest no-kill animal haven in the United States. This sanctuary hosts hundreds of dogs from around the world (including 22 pit bulls who were rescued from their painful lives with Michael Vick), as well as cats, horses, ...more
Published June 17th 2008 by Sellers Publishing Inc.

JoAnn/QuAppelle
Jan 29, 2010 JoAnn/QuAppelle rated it it was amazing
This was the first Dogtown book that I read and I found it so uplifting and engaging. Great stories and photos. I had been watching the show for quite a while when I found this book --- a wonderful companion to the show. The book is a beautiful testament to the great people who live and work there and take care of these animals every day. Dogtown is a sanctuary in the truest sense of the word - it is a place of refuge or safety.
Jill
Mar 26, 2009 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
I absolutely love the show "Dogtown" and I love this book! Dogtown is part of a unique shelter in Utah called Best Friends. Best Friends is a no kill shelter that takes animals from all over the country that are considered unadoptable. They've taken some of the Michael Vick pit bulls and have successfully rehabilitated a few of the dogs. One is a therapy dog. The book as well as the show will pull at your heart strings!
Janet
May 13, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
Aw…there are so many adorable dogs pictured in this book. I was particularly intrigued to read that several people have made the sanctuary a stop on their vacation itinerary. You can volunteer for a day, a week, or even longer. Missing your own pets? Stop by and invite your favorite animals to join you for a sleepover in one of the guest trailers onsite.
Mary (BookHounds)
Mar 10, 2009 Mary (BookHounds) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
This is a lovey book about rescue dogs and has sections that cover the rehabilitation of MIchael Vick's pit bulls and the rescue of dogs from New Orleans after Katrina. The pictures are gorgeous and the work this rescue group does is amazing
Diana
Mar 13, 2010 Diana rated it it was amazing
I love almost any book about dogs (almost, but not all) and this one is right up there. If you're unfamiliar with Best Friends Animal Society, I recommend you familiarize yourself with them. They do wonderful work for our furry friends.
Melissa Bennett
Jul 27, 2010 Melissa Bennett rated it it was amazing
I love all the heartwarming stories and photos that are in this book. There is a section on the pitbulls rescued from Michael Vick as well. It was nice to see an update on them. This book inspired me to go to the sanctuary itself. It was a wonderful place to visit if you ever have time.
MJ
Jan 22, 2009 MJ rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was written and illustrated with many pics of once abused dogs in the main to raise money for Dog Town.
Erika
Oct 13, 2009 Erika rated it liked it
Sad and uplifting at the same time. Makes me realize there is more I need to do to help this passionate cause of mine.
sara frances
Aug 23, 2010 sara frances rated it it was amazing
I was so close to crying while reading this book. The photographs are beautiful and I love they way they talk about all the different dogs that have called Dogtown their home at one point.
Joanne
Nov 24, 2008 Joanne rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Read with Kittyville. Great pictures and stories of how dogs have been rescued from deplorable conditions - even the dogs of Michael Vick.
Susan
Apr 10, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Susan by: Sharon
www.bestfriends.org
What a rewarding vacation this would be!!
Michelle
Nov 26, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This fast read was everything I'd hoped it would be. It had heart and passion and clearly described that elusive magic that is Best Friends.
Zann
Jul 29, 2016 Zann rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-welfare
A great introduction to Best Friends Animal Society, their sanctuary in Utah and Dogtown specifically. The dog on the cover looks so much like my dog, Mollie :)
Christine Abanto
Christine Abanto rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
Maxine
Maxine rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
Maggie Dugan
Maggie Dugan rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Marina Dawson
Marina Dawson rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Kortney Collins
Kortney Collins rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Anastasia
Anastasia rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2010
Jena
Jena rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Dale
Dale rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2011
Jena
Jena rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2010
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2008
Caitlyn
Caitlyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2014
Tanya
Tanya rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2010
Jan
Jan rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2008
Ashley Wilkinson
Ashley Wilkinson rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2013