Start by marking “Becoming Joe DiMaggio” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

"With ineffable tenderness and absolute clarity, Testa tells a tale in blank verse. . . . Powerfully moving as it braids together baseball, family, and the Italian-American experience." —BOOKLIST (starred review)

It's 1936, and the Yankees have just hired a star center fielder whose name sounds like music. What could be a better time for Papa-Angelo's grandson to be born? C

Published February 1st 2002 by Candlewick (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Joe DiMaggio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Joe DiMaggio

Isaiah Anthony
Isaiah Anthony
10/6/14
Becoming Joe DiMaggio
I am reading a book called Becoming Joe DiMaggio. This story is about a kid who loves to listen to baseball on the radio with his grandfather. The two main characters are named Joseph Paul which is the kid and Papa Angelo who is the grandfather. The plot of this story is Joseph's childhood centered around his experiences with the Yankees, but particularly Joe DiMaggio.
Is this book the author did a great job because he explains how Joseph Paul's childh
Clarissa
I asked my Methods students to read a few Novels in Verse, so, I read a few myself... I had seen this one mentioned, and the library had it, so I grabbed it. Short, sweet, gentle, set in the past; I really liked it. I learned a few things, about Joe Dimaggio - who I really just know from the Simon and Garfunkel song (where did you go, Joe Dimaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you...). Learned a bit about the book, Gray's Anatomy, which is most significant since we are watching the TV ser ...more
Bailey Longnecker
Becoming Joe DiMaggio is about a little boy who watches baseball with his grandfather. All of his life he has wanting to be this famous baseball player ever since he was little. At the end after something had had happened to Joe, the little boy realized that he wanted to be a doctor in the footsteps of his role model, his grandfather. I liked this book because I like sports and sports book unlike some people might not. I thought it was kind of confusing and vague at times but otherwise, I liked ...more
Donna Casas
Papa-Angelo makes a little chair for Joseph to listen to the baseball games together. Life has not been easy for Papa-Angelo or for his grandson, Joseph Paul. Joseph’s father was taken away by the police. Mama cried and Joseph wondered who he was going to play catch with. Papa-Angelo also gave Joseph a bat and ball, which he was very proud of. Joseph and Papa-Angelo love listening to the Yankee’s games. Their favorite player is Joe DiMaggio. War breaks out and Joseph’s father is released from pr ...more
Autumn
Apr 21, 2015 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
This little book contains so much. It tells the story of a little boy and his family. I cried tears of sorrow and tears of joy while reading it. Becoming Joe DiMaggio touched me deeply. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in history, baseball, immigrants, and Italians.
Ryan Palmer
Feb 22, 2012 Ryan Palmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-420
POETRY
This book, written in free verse looks at an Italian immigrants family. The young boy and his grandpa love listening to the Yankees on the radio. Especially when Joe Dimaggio, also an Italian immigrant, joins the team. They love listening to him and he is a representation of the possibilities that exist. The book isn't without it's troubles though as world war II hits, and Joe has to go to war. The boys dad also has run ins with the law, and is essentially non existent in his life. At the
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
Feb 29, 2016 Mz. Diana Gagliardi rated it liked it
Short and sweet, using the time of DiMaggio's career and the pieces of history it intersects to show the story of a family.
Brian
Nov 18, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oblock
It is a good book with a sports hook for middle school boys.
Karen
Another excellent novel in verse.
Keith
Feb 11, 2016 Keith rated it it was ok
Not much action
Lupe
Sep 16, 2013 Lupe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is short but you cannot believe how it will move you. A young boy growing up in the 1940's and 1950's sees his life unfolding while Joe DiMaggio's career ascends. While his respect for DiMaggio grows, his respect for his own father shrinks. I like the book for boys because the poetry is short and easily decoded. The sports metaphor is an interesting hook for teen boys, too. Plus, the book is based on a true story. What a great one!
Maria Caplin
Apr 24, 2008 Maria Caplin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read that is organized with many short poems that are linked together to create a wonderful story. I love the relationship of the grandpa and his grandson. Great book about culture and family. One ethnic word would need to be read prior to see how to handle it in a classroom. It was the only fault that I had with it-and it me because my husband is Italian.
Sue
Sep 12, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a sweet verse novel, it's meant to be biographical since it is told from the perspective of maria's father and his life growing up with his grandfather. i enjoyed it quite a bit.
GraceAnne
Feb 11, 2008 GraceAnne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rebecca Schosha
this is so gorgeous in the purity of its emotions and its baseball and family tropes. For an Italian-American especially, it will be as warmly familiar as the kitchen of nonna's.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Poems about how an Italian-American grandfather helps his grandson get through his father's being in jail. Takes place around 1940.
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 25, 2016
Emily Patterson
Emily Patterson rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Mo
Mo rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Kimberly Biddlecom
Kimberly Biddlecom marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Elbie Love
Elbie Love rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Lesley Roessing
Lesley Roessing rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Maggie Lawrence
Maggie Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
E Murray
E Murray rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Teddy Murray
Teddy Murray marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Edgar
Edgar marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
"My father was not a storyteller," says Maria Testa, author of the critically acclaimed poetic novels SOMETHING ABOUT AMERICA, ALMOST FOREVER and BECOMING JOE DIMAGGIO. "Our family was not the kind that sat on the front porch, sipping lemonade and listening to the elders reminisce. We were doers and did not spend a lot of time on verbal reflection."

How then, did Maria Testa come to write three de
More about Maria Testa...

“Look how we have made our broken hearts soar.” 1 likes