Start by marking “Kids in the Syndrome Mix” as Want to Read:
Kids in the Syndrome Mix

Kids in the Syndrome Mix

This book is a concise, informal, all-in-one guide for parents, teachers, and other professionals to a range of often co-existing neuro-behavioural disorders in children.
Published September 12th 2005 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Kids in the Syndrome Mix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kids in the Syndrome Mix

Lillian Angelovic
Jan 16, 2012 Lillian Angelovic rated it really liked it
This is a very helpful starting point for learning if someone you know, work with, or live with - or even yourself - has been diagnosed with any one of the many conditions in the "syndrome mix". The author offers a useful assortment of information that can serve as a guide to recognizing possible additions to a single diagnosis, as well as better-understanding the differences between neurological conditions that can be confusingly similar. It's also a good reference for going back and reviewing ...more
Donna Parker
Sep 08, 2014 Donna Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an interesting read on many levels.
It takes an extremely complicated mixture of syndromes and attempts to explain them in an updated, professional, and considerate manner. In some ways this is a good thing, they definitely need explaining. I've actually heard people say and even seen memes on the internet talking about ADHD, for example, I'll paraphrase, but they all go something like this, Back when I was in school kids were just hyper, now they all have ADHD. Sigh, yes, nothing i
Lydia
Nov 20, 2014 Lydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book rather interesting and quite informative about the neuropsychiatric disorders listed in the title. What I found most intriguing were the authors descriptions of what multiple disorders in children would look like and how parents, teachers, and doctors can identify which ones are being displayed in their children. From their keen observations, they can work out a plan together as a team to assist the child(ren) with some helpful learning adaptations in the classroom and at home. ...more
As both an advocate and a parent for my special needs children, I am constantly in search of the latest information on diagnostics and regulations. With upcoming IEP meetings and constant doctor appointments, it is vital to have the latest information. This book is an excellent source of information that really breaks down the latest changes in the DSM. It is well written so both teachers and parents can use this book in and out of the classroom. The authors have broken down various disorders su ...more
Susan
Apr 26, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related
As a social worker for developmentally disabled kids, I thought this did quite a good job hitting broad introductions to a wide variety of childhood disorders, including how they mimic each other, where they overlap, and how their treatments help and hinder each other.

My only fault with this is that Chapter 2 ("Read this Chapter! General Principles of Treatment") is a 25 page long list of "techniques for adjusting your own mindset, mov(ing) on to understanding the child's mindset, and then discu
Linda Schell
Feb 01, 2015 Linda Schell rated it really liked it
The front cover of Kids in the Syndrome Mix states it is "the one stop guide for parents, teachers, and other professionals." I agree. Although this book is a fast read, it is informative. I especially liked the chapter that gave suggestions to parents and teachers on how to help a child with ADHD get organized and finish his homework. This book is a good starting place for the parents of children with bi-polar disorder.

I wish corporate America and mangers would take into consideration the probl
Tracy
Sep 25, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autism
I think this was very readable, often humorous, and made good analogies. I did not have time to try any of the referred to online comparisons to having the disorder myself, but it sounds like a great idea! I got bogged down on occasion in the medical sections from the volume of information, but it was still presented in as clear a manner as possible. i'm certain that it would have meant more to me were I currently the parent of a special needs child. I was reading this for my own information, an ...more
Jennifer Hughes
This is the only book I've found that helps parents and teachers look at symptoms or traits and be able to see where their child could fit in to one or more diagnoses. (With mental or emotional issues, most kids have more than diagnosis.) I copied the chapter on Asperger's for my son's teacher at the beginning of the school year and she found it immensely helpful. If you have a child who is struggling and you don't know how to help, I would start with this book. It's a great jumping off point wh ...more
Danielle Masellis
Jul 12, 2016 Danielle Masellis rated it it was amazing
As a teacher in special education, I am constantly looking for new books which offer new information on different diagnoses and are engaging and easy to follow. This book does all of these things and more. Using humour and straight forward language, this author is able to delve into the particulars of each diagnosis while also looking at comorbid diagnoses and laying out practical strategies for the classroom and home. He draws on strategies and the research of others in the discipline to streng ...more
Jenn S.
Jul 07, 2014 Jenn S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clearly written with a wealth of information. Even if you don't have a child with a diagnosis this book is an excellent resource to have on hand. With the growing number of cases, everyone needs some familiarity and I found this book to be perfect for learning without being overwhelmed with medical words. I have two children in the Autism Spectrum; one with PDD and one with Aspergers. I would recommend this to everyone. I received a free copy through NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Melissa
Jun 23, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was such an amazing resource for me. I have a son who was diagnosed with ADHD and Asperger's. This book has a lot of useful information and it is easy to read and understand. Definitely going to be a book that I will be going back to!
Linda Quirk
Jun 30, 2014 Linda Quirk rated it it was amazing
Wow, I can't give this book 10 stars? So happy to read a book from an MD that suggests accepting your child where he is in his brain based disability is where it's at. This book needs to be in every parent and school library. It is not an in depth book about any of the brain based diagnoses (ASD, ADHD, Tourettes and more).
Tabetha
Mar 05, 2013 Tabetha rated it really liked it
This is a great resource book for any teacher or parent that has concerns about knowing what all of these terms and labels related to syndromes and disabilities. Although written a few years ago, the book is generally unbiased, and offers age-less advice to those that know, work with, or have a child that may have any of these concerns.
Liberty
Sep 28, 2014 Liberty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book explained so much in a not-too-hard-to-understand way. it helped me understand my children's minds better and clarify techniques in helping them function through life better. I would suggest this as a great tool for beginning to understand newly diagnosed children.
Terry
Mar 15, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, considering the author is covering numerous complicated topics in one small book. Even already having a lot of info on ADHD, it was really helpful to refresh on this more recent (well...2005) information, especially as children get older.
Deanna
Oct 27, 2008 Deanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology, health
Psychology isn't the most interesting topic for me to read, but I found it direct and interesting to read. This was just basic information on various subjects. I have more questions and books I want to read now.
Angela
Jan 22, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Thinking outside of the box & not just labeled ADHD. Mood Disorder came into play. Always possibility of Bipolar but unable to diagnose at an early age. Genetics huge (from father's side). I learned to reach out to the top specialists here in Austin to rule out other diagnosis.
Karen
Jan 20, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book was great in explaining the difference in the many confusing "syndromes" of children today. Many books I've read talk about the difficulties of ADHD, etc without any real positive tools--this was the exception. Lots of hands-on great ideas.
Nikki Cotton
Jul 23, 2011 Nikki Cotton rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to many of the parents I work with. It breaks down a great number of disabilities, explains (in layman's turns) how they manifest in children, and offers helpful accommodation strategies. Medication related info is also included. Truly, a wonderful resource.
Inspired Kathy
Apr 15, 2011 Inspired Kathy rated it liked it
As a parent who has already read much on these subjects I didn't glean much from this book. It's mainly just an overview of the different diorders and how they can overlap with no treatment information.
May 09, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a well-written book giving information to several different diagnosis of mental illness. I am glad my hair stylist recommended this to me.

While I still don't fully understand my childs illness, I can understand more fully all symptoms it has.
Lindsay
This is an informative book for parents. Clearly describes the disorders and gives good tips (not sure if they are research-based though). In my opinion it is not suitable for researchers/professionals.
Brittany
Apr 13, 2009 Brittany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
The book was pretty informative and interesting. There was not very much information on treatment and actual scenarios though which I think would have made the book better.
Carol Carlson
Aug 07, 2008 Carol Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The BEST book I have found, thus far, on the subject--helped immensely with understanding Scott's challenges.
Misty N.
Jul 14, 2008 Misty N. rated it it was amazing
Very informative and helpful for someone who is working with this population but does not have a lot of previous experience.
Apr 12, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I only read the parts that interested me, but I liked that it spelled everything out in laymen's terms so I could understand what I was reading. I'd say this is a good resource.
Nicole
Jun 19, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
A great overview and jumping off point for researching syndromes in more detail. Also provides practical techniques for support in the classroom and at home.
Rachael
May 14, 2011 Rachael rated it it was ok
Shelves: special-needs
I was hoping that this would really address how various diagnosis overlap and interact, but it's impossible to cover EVERY potential combination and ours just wasn't really covered in this book.
MellyK
Feb 27, 2014 MellyK rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, well-written and extremely informative book. A must-have resource for education support professionals and those with children's best interests at heart!
Joy
Apr 12, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
A nice overview of the various issues out there, with information on how to differentiate them from each other. Pretty high level though, each section is very short and not very comprehensive.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success
  • You're Going to Love This Kid!: Teaching Children with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom
  • The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • Children With Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • The ADHD-Autism Connection: A Step Toward More Accurate Diagnoses and Effective Treatments
  • Different Minds: Gifted Children with AD/HD, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Ten Things Your Student with Autism Wishes You Knew
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • Teaching Hope: Stories from the Freedom Writer Teachers and Erin Gruwell
  • Neurodiversity: Discovering the Extraordinary Gifts of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Brain Differences
  • 101 Games and Activities for Children with Autism, Asperger's and Sensory Processing Disorders
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism