Start by marking “The Association” as Want to Read:
The Association

The Association

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,063 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Thriller by the Bram Stoker Award-winning author of The Walking. "Follow the rules. Don't say a word. And lock your doors." Those were the rules of the homeowners' association Barry and Maureen joined when they moved to Colorado. They didn't know the association might kill them.
Hardcover
Published January 1st 2001 by A Signet Book

To ask other readers questions about The Association, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Association

Adam Light
Bentley Little's The Association is one wild and crazy book. I read this really fast. It was almost impossible to put down actually. This is one I would recommend to any horror fan. I really enjoyed it.
Barry and Maureen are tired of California. They get a great deal on an ideal home in the mountains of Utah. Hell, they even get the seller to come down 15 thousand on the price. They have to join join a homeowner's association, but that's no big deal. They figure it can't be all that bad.
Turns out
Jeremy Bates
Barry and Maureen have just been approved as tenants by the Association. Pity they never read the fine print on the lease. It could be the death of them...

That's the blurb of The Association, and if you live in a gated community and hate your local homeowners association, this is the book for you!

I read the novel about ten years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I found it at my parent's place while visiting for Christmas and decided to give it another go--and I still found it an engrossing, fun read.
Chris
This is, and I don't want to mince words here, a profoundly dumb book.

Some plot points include indentured servitude, an armless, legless character named "Stumpy," and the hero is at one point saved by virture of another character wearing a bathrobe. There are times while I was reading this book that I simply had to laugh out loud at the implausability of the damn thing.

The Association isn't going to take home any literary honors... and yet... it's a damn fine horror novel.

Horror as a genre work
Maya Ivers
I worship at the altar of Bentley Little's twisted mind. In my opinion, he defines the horror genre. His ability to twist the most mundane, "normal" things into terrifying circumstances is genius. Reading his books leave you disturbed long after turning the last page, and that is what I look for in a good horror author. This book, in particular, is a social commentary that is very relevant right now. Home owner's associations are definitely pushing the boundaries these days, and every time I see ...more
Bill
The Association is my first Bentley Little. I don’t know what took me so long to get to him. I have stockpiling his stuff for a while.

Welcome to the Bonita Vista Homeowners Association. The dues are killer. This is one HOA that you do not want to cross. This was a pretty good tongue-in-cheek horror romp thru your everyday, quiet, upscale gated community. A quaint 3 bedroom / 2 bath, complete with an evil organization that landscapes your yard and paints your house for you. Nice.

Hey, No pets! Bel
Tee Jay
Well I'm done. With about 80% of this novel finished, I just can't stomach it any longer. I've thrown in the towel and I'm putting it away for good. It's that bad.
The premise, from beginning to end, is ridiculous and totally unbelievable. More, the characters are flat, two-dimensional, and void of any redeeming qualities whatsoever. What a dud! The dialogue is also forced, contrived, and overly used as a plot advancement technique. Way too much.
In the end, I'm equally disappointed with myself
Kelly
I've read this book twice now, and the second time through was even better the first. Creepy, enthralling, and downright freaky, this book has a way of making you want to stay awake all night and keep reading. It certainly makes me never want to live in a home owner's association!
Lindsey
If you love horror and hate homeowner's associations this book is for you. Very entertaining. I saw someone say this is a very dumb book, which it probably is, but it's one of those horror books that makes you laugh at the same time. Who doesn't love an armless, legless man named Stumpy?
Kim Smiley
Helen
Very gratifying escapist horror.
I really enjoy Little because he has perfected the art of slow-build, get-under-your-skin horror, so that even the most outlandish premise is arrived at with you absolutely believing in the story.
The gated community of Bonita Vista and the surrounding town of Corban are so wonderfully described they felt utterly real to me, which is what makes the ensuing horror all the more effective.
Characterisations were good, and I could imagine only too easily how our main m
Cher
Little enjoys asserting poorly thought-out social commentary into his books. While The Policy was a warning about the evils of the insurance industries, this book is a commentary on the evils of gated communities. Too bad he doesn't bother to do much sociopolical research or make much of an effort to end his books in a different way than any of his others. What he lacks in plot substance, however, he makes up for in endless repetition of the same phrases. I will always fondly remember and giggle ...more
Stephanie Griffin
Just about the silliest book I've ever read.
Summer
In all honestly, more like a 2.5 but I'm rounding up because I sincerely did enjoy reading it. I don't think it is Little's best though which is unfortunate because it has such and interesting premise and elements to it. This book suffers from just being too long with too many unimportant elements. The middle of the book REALLY drags; most of which are just supposed to add to the atmosphere but instead, it made me want to yell 'Get on with it already!' - I think the fact that it does drag for so ...more
Dave Pope
This is a good page turner and I did enjoy it. What kept this at a three star rating for me was the fact that any reasonable thinking person would have left the area about a quarter into the story at least - long before he had no choice but to stay. Also, the reaction of the main character relating to what was going on was kind of unbelievably weak for most of the story.
The horror starts off close to the beginning of the story and just keeps escalating page after page onward - there is no let u
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Go ahead and give the bastards a little bit of authority. And keep telling yourself "As long as I'm not doing anything wrong, I should have nothing to worry about." Repeat over and over and over...

Little's at his best when he's angry.
Nancy
Scary, addictive, and a great read. The story is over the top, and the ending was ridiculous, but it does examine the dangers of a society becoming too complacent and allowing its freedoms to be eroded.
Chris Bowsman
This is the first Bentley Little book I've read. His sense of humor is fantastic, and this certainly won't be the last one I read.

In short, I absolutely loved it.
Pamela
Ok what the heck?
Rolling right along on this bumpy, stressful, twilight zone tail of owning a home within a home owners association from hell. Then all of a sudden the ending fizzles out to this?!?! The ending was stupid, and left more than one loose end. (I HATE loose ends). It may be just me, but it seems like Mr. Little got up and left for a while and someone else with a hiked up imagination came in and finished the book for him. I mean I have some questions here!!
I gave it 2 stars because
George Harting
Pretty good and fast read, but I gave it three instead of four stars because I thought the ending could have been better.
Lori
I am a big fan of Bentley Little. His books taken a very simple premise and turn that premise on its ear and with very chilling results. I expected no less from The Association . . . and was disappointed.

The premise for The Association is fantastic, especially if you have ever had to deal with a homeowners' association, nosy neighbors and the strange peccadilloes you may find in certain neighborhoods. What if the homeowners' association didn't just meddle with regards to your landscaping but you
Christopher Fulbright
In order to truly appreciate the full awesomeness of this novel, it really helps to have lived, or currently live, in a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association. Since I despise our own HOA, when I came across this title by Bentley Little, I just had to read it. From the moment I started reading this book until the moment I turned the last page, I was looking for every spare moment to get back to it.

The basic setup: Successful horror writer Barry Welch and his wife Maureen move from Californi
Eric
May 22, 2008 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HOA haters
So, do you think the homeowner's association in your neighborhood is bad? Try living in the Bonita Vista gated community, where the HOA can (and does) enter your home at any time to enforce their precious C, C, and Rs and any homeowner who resists ends up dead or disappeared. Or worse.

Barry Welch and his lovely wife Maureen think they've found urban paradise in Bonita Vista, but they failed to read the HOA's rules and regulations before moving in. For example, there's the rule that says no pets
Steve Isaak
The first quarter of The Association is good, well-written, character solid, with smart, semi-satirical touches of humor thrown into the mix. Somewhere between that first quarter and midway through, it becomes ridiculous - pet murders, and mutilated homeless people pop up, and everyone pretends like that's normal. Then, home invasions, audio and visual surveillance inside and outside the homes, "mysterious" disappearances and murders of residents and visitors, as well as overt threats of rape an ...more
Kevin Groosalugg
I've read 'The Store' and I think this greatly affected my feeling towards this book. It was a fun, fast paced read that was truly scary (esp since I will be joining a homeowners association in a few months). But it was pretty much the same book, an organization that seems a little odd at first gets creepier and more intrusive, it happens so slow that no ones puts up much resistance, and eventually the protagonists are faced with an immense evil that has taken over their lives. Had I not read an ...more
Rebekkila
Apr 07, 2012 Rebekkila rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have had run ins with their HOA
Someone was mad at thaeir home owner's Association when they wrote this. Barry and Maureen move into a nice gated community without reading the home owner's assoc. guidelines and it turnd inot a night mare and an invasion of privacy of the worst kind. The lengths that the assoc. go to in the book are crazy, they dictate everything down to how many walls have to be left blank and how many feminine hygiene products you have on town. Since no kids are allowed if you become pregnant they can termina ...more
Jessica B
This book...wow. It has an interesting premise, and I've been told that there is a movie based in it somewhere, but the way it goes about certain events is just unbelievable; the ending is also pretty ridiculous. It starts out with this couple who move from the city to the "perfect" community out in the middle of nowhere. The view is beautiful, the house is lovely, and it seems like a good place to set roots. However, all is not well when the Homeowners Association shows their authority. They ha ...more
Jeff
This book can be highly entertaining as long as one accepts that it is more of a satire than a horror novel. The main criticism seems to be that the plot becomes ridiculous at a certain point, and that the characters are dumb and complacent for staying in the situation as long as they do. However, I see this as commentary on just how much people are willing to put up with in order to maintain the illusion of an upper-middle class lifestyle as long as things continue to look perfect on the surfac ...more
DeSchornak
This book is an overall good book. There is a slow start at the beginning, but it's only because there is a complicated storyline. A lot of information is needed for is later to come in the story. There are many things in this novel that catch you off guard at the times you least expect it to. Some of the events in the story are explained with great detail and it gives an exact image to what the author wants. I chose this book because description on the back of the book caught my attention when ...more
Jj
This book was a alright read, but to me out of all his writings this one was the best.
In the fictional town of Corban Utah there is a gated community known as Bonita Vista. If one chooses to live there, they do so with the understanding that they must adhere to the rules and regulations of the Home Owners Association. The house and the panoramic views on the property are enough enticement for Barry and Maureen to purchase their new house for a song. Now starts the horror. The Home Owners Assoc
J. Sharp
I loved this book. Blazed through it. I couldn't put it down.
Barry and Maureen find a home in a perfect Utah neighborhood. It is perfect or is it? There is something wrong with this place...at first subtle...and then more disturbing. Everything points to the Homeowner's Association..are they really behind the heinous acts that keep occuring in the neighborhood and in,the surrounding town?
Great characters..though I did find that Maureen and Barry's reactions were a bit implausible or out of chara
  • After Midnight
  • Castaways (Leisure Fiction)
  • Dark Mountain
  • Chasm
  • Stranger
  • The Freakshow
Bentley Little is an American author of numerous horror novels. He was discovered by Dean Koontz.

Little was born one month after his mother attended the world premiere of Psycho. He published his first novel, The Revelation, with St. Martin's Press in 1990. After reading it, Stephen King became a vocal fan of Little's work, and Little won the Bram Stoker Award for "Best First Novel" in 1990. He mo
More about Bentley Little...
The Store The House The Collection The Haunted The Resort