Start by marking “An American Love Story” as Want to Read:
An American Love Story

An American Love Story

Four smart women . . . and their foolish choice. In love with the same man. The wrong man.

Women found him so easy to love. Clay Bowen had it all—charisma, good looks, and power in the glamorous world of television. Laura, the delicate dancer, gave up her dazzling career to marry him and have his child. Nina excelled at everything—except capturing her father’s complete att
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published May 4th 1991 by Dell (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about An American Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An American Love Story

Mary
Aug 31, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Clay Bowen is a successful Hollywood television producer with several cleverly disguised rehashes of established hits to his credit. He is also a self-centered, womanizing schemer who has been married to former prima ballerina, Laura Hays, for almost twenty years - although they have been separated for most of that time. Laura had retired from the dance world to have her daughter - the elusive and secretive Nina - then turned to drugs and developed an eating disorder. Clay, having been totally a ...more
Roberta
Jun 19, 2015 Roberta rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, 2013
Rona Jaffe negli ultimi anni è tornata alla ribalta grazie ad una citazione in Mad Men (telefilm che non ho ancora visto, ma che sicuramente spero di recuperare presto) del suo The Best of Everything, già letto nel 2010. Proprio a seguito di questa lettura a febbraio 2011 ho trovato su Bookmooch questo L'amore com'è (bruttissima traduzione del non molto più bello titolo originale An American Love Story). Devo dire che mi sono abbastanza vergognata di andarmene in giro con una copertina così smac ...more
Cheryl
May 21, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I have read so many Rona Jaffe books. I love them all. The women in these books are always vulnerable but have some inner reserve of strength. They have regrets, they have crummy relationships, and they have great friendships. I love this author!
Melanie
Jul 14, 2015 Melanie rated it did not like it
meh not the best rona jaffe, but i still love her and this book was sort of entertaining... im still determined to read all her others.
Ashley
This was a long drawn out book that was tedious to read. I wasn't expecting Chick-Lit when I got it, but I wasn't expecting such a complicated web of nothingness that had me wishing I was doing laundry instead.
I could not relate to a single character and I did not feel bad for any of them, regardless of what someone else put them through. I guess I had the mindset of "you made your bed, now lay in it", or "what you allow... will continue"
Forgive me for not being impressed when this was my second
Tracy
Aug 06, 2016 Tracy rated it liked it
The book was good, but the ending was anti-climactic. Somewhat disappointed to spend time reading the book for such a dull ending.
Lauren
Jun 11, 2013 Lauren rated it did not like it
Worst. Rona. Jaffe. Book. Ever.

Throughout this book, i rolled my eyes, I groaned, I winced...

Rona Jaffe usually writes strong women and asshat men. Usually the women each have a POV in alternating chapters and the women, while flawed and not always likable, are strong and interesting.

These women are whiny, weak, and codependant

I hated them and I hated this book...with that said, I still love Rona Jaffe.
Alena
Apr 15, 2008 Alena rated it liked it
For a sex-and-shopping novel, this one isn't bad. It follows an amoral, self-centered jerk and the 4 women who love him, over the span of the 70s and 80s. There are some interesting insights into why intelligent women would shackle themselves to such a creep, but in the end the main character is just too obnoxious and grated on my nerves. However, it's a breezy, light read.
Bridget Moore
Dec 01, 2010 Bridget Moore rated it it was amazing
It is not a romance novel, contrary to what the title may lead you to believe. Great story.
Chamie
Sep 30, 2012 Chamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I would rate this a 3 1/2 but it upgrades to a 4 on Goodreads.
Ruth Keenoy
May 01, 2013 Ruth Keenoy rated it really liked it
True Rona - I loved it!
Leslie Daniels
Leslie Daniels marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Rebecca Joy
Rebecca Joy marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Kalie
Kalie rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
George
George marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Jerrie
Jerrie rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Lois
Lois added it
Jun 25, 2016
Christine Mathieu
Christine Mathieu rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Zasha
Zasha marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Linda Borgström
Linda Borgström rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Linda Kramer
Linda Kramer rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Brigitte
Brigitte marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
M V
M V rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Rona Jaffe established The Rona Jaffe Foundation Writers’ Awards program in 1995. It is the only national literary awards program of its kind dedicated to supporting women writers exclusively. Since the program began, the Foundation has awarded more than $850,000 to a total of 92 women.

Ms. Jaffe was the author of sixteen books, including Class Reunion, Family Secrets, The Road Taken, and The Room-
More about Rona Jaffe...