Transhuman

Transhuman

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Jonathan Hickman and JM Ringuet present a mockumentary about the future, where genetically engineered humans are created by rival companies in an attempt to corner the market under the guise of bettering the world. Transhuman is an irreverent view of the origin of a new technology, the starting of rival companies, the piles of cash made from taking them public, and the mar...more
Published February 10th 2009 by Image Comics (first published August 29th 2008)

Thom Dunn
This book uses gorgeous artwork to tell an original story about the rise of Transhumanism as a corporate pissing match, and it embodies everything that is wrong with Jonathan Hickman as a writer.

Don't get me wrong, Hickman is incredibly creative and kind of a mad genius — he's just a terrible storyteller. I've come to accept this fact. TRANSHUMAN is told as a "documentary" about the rise of the 3 largest Transhumanist corporations, which I guess is a clever conceit, except (1) why make a fiction...more
Paul W.
This was entertaining but a little too wink and nod for me. Hickman tries to mix some humor with an interesting subject, but instead ends up with less of both. He does some X-men analogues and but it doesn't show his usual cleverness and verve. Without any clear heroes or villains, it just seems somewhat flat. It could have and should have been better.
James
An early work by Jonathan Hickman, taking us through a tongue-in-cheek tour of a post-human future. Humanity has been transformed by robotic implants and genetic engineering, and "Transhuman" takes on a "behind-the-music" journey through the corporate misconduct and mutated super-monkeys it took to get there.

It's a decent idea, but the execution doesn't quite work. The story here is too slapdash to serve as a serious exploration of the concept, but there aren't enough laughs for it to serve as a...more
Mike
This book starts off with a catchy hook: documentary style storytelling, talking to the audience as if they already knew all the salient details of the story about to unfold. It's damned addictive, because Hickman tantalises the reader with hints and tidbits of massive changes to human history that he's deliberately withholding from us.

This book also surprised me with something I'm not used to from Hickman: emotional undercurrents and "dirty" art. Hickman has an ear for smarm and other passive-a...more
Anna
Issue 1 - Interesting way to write this - in a documentary style. I'm feeling an underlying "badness" leaking through the pages that I'm sure will come up eventually.

Issue 2 - Losing interest here. All the money talk and business stuff is boring to me. Though I was a bit amused by the We3 reference...

Issue 3 - Still rather bored with the business jargon, even to the point where the story itself is getting boring. I don't much care about the monkeys. I care about the genetic enhancement stuff, bu...more
Artur Coelho
Esta obra saída da interessante mente de Hickman promete mais do que fornece. Pelo título e temática esperaríamos uma reflexão visceral sobre genética, cibernética e transhumanismo com a acutilância similar à de The Nightly News teve para com a manipulação dos media. Mas Hickman não vai por esse caminho. Constrói um divertido falso documentário sobre capitalismo desenfreado aplicado ao transhumanismo que mistura experiências com genética aumentativa ou cibernética. A crítica aos gigantes da info...more
Eloisa
I loved this.
It is part of a series yet each volume has an independent story, so you don't miss out anything background-wise on some characters if you only read one of them, like I did.

I love this.
You pick it. Open it and start checking out the pages and the first thing that crosses your mind is: "webdesign". This comic looks like a website! Indeed, not only the design of the covers of the chapters calls out for the web user in me, but along the story there's little details that keep evoking the...more
Wendy
Hmm. Documentary style story telling the age of genetic manipulation, or the beginning of the next phase of human evolution. There were moments of boredom, and the art wasn't really likeable, but the ending was interesting. I did like applying an analysis similar to writeups of Apple to something that hasn't happened yet. Predictably, even when we have the options of improving humanity, we are still selfish, greedy mammals.
David Maine
Jonathan Hickman came to my attention three years ago, when he was writing independent comics and publishing them through Image. his debut The Nightly News was fantastic, blending a strong visual/graphic arts sense with a fractured storyline. Transhuman is his follow-up and it's not quite as good. Although entertaining, it's short (four issues, or chapters, as compared to six), and it feels a little thin. It's still entertaining and the art is okay, but it's neither as good as The Nightly News n...more
Daniel Edelman
An absolute insult to the medium of comics. You are given the privilege of doing ANYTHING by Image and the best you can come up with is a bunch of people talking to camera. And the art is horrible. This has taken the top/bottom spot as my least favorite comic of all time
I liked the premise of the story but I can't say the book grabbed me. This story is imagining a future, a time when it's easy for people to purchase enhancements that let them live longer, healthier lives, or to purchase cybernetic limbs. The two different approaches to improving humanity had led to corporate warfare, and that's what the story focuses on, the leaders of the various companies responsible for the new technology.

It's set up as a documentary, told years after the events in question...more
Catfish Dogfight
A graphic novel with mediocre art, slapstick plot between long stretches of talking heads, and a sophomoric attempt at a twist ending. Meh.
M0rningstar
Ho-hum story, weak writing, ugly and sloppy art. Wished I had skipped this one.
Rain
gave so high rating cause had shitload of time to waste
Joe Young
Jonathan Hickman - Writer
Jim Ringuet - Illustrator

A very interesting story told as a documentary examing the rise, competition and decline of two companies responsible for the development of technology that led humans to the next level of evolution - hence the title "transhumans."

Gripping writing and fascinating ideas by Hickman carry this story. The art by Mr. Ringuet is mediocre and rather static. Still, if you're in the mood for a wordy, idea-rich comic this is right up your alley.

Recommended...more
Daniel Parks
Genetically engineered super intelligent and super horny chimps brutally anger raping genitically engineered superheros? Sign me up! Extra kudos for the blatant shout out to Grant Morrison in the form of a panel showing the dog and cat from We3. Only 4 stars because it's not so much an in depth, fully formed story as it is just a series of twisted jokes riffing on an interesting sci-fi concept. He's done much better work (see The Nightly News), but this is still top notch insanity from one of th...more
Jason Alvey
Nice work by Hickman, with the pseudo-documentary style and the social commentary with just-satirical-enough bite. JM Ringuet's art balanced the televisual approach and the fantastical content well - in all it's a pretty compelling read. Ostensibly a story about evolution, I was most intrigued by what Hickman had to say about business and innovation. A great example of what comics can be.
Blake Petit
Really clever sci-fi story. It's a semi-thriller about a pair of tech companies racing each other to change the world with enhanced humans. The story is told in the form of a documentary after the race is over. The conceit works well and nicely hides a clever twist at the end. Some funny bits and some great science fiction make this one of my favorite works by Hickman.
Malcolm Ross
I picked up this because it said transhuman and I am a total sucker for that, I admit it.
But Hickman didn't disappoint. The comic reads like a documentary about the history of some future transhuman culture, playing prototypical but well fleshed out and interesting characters against each other. And the art is good too!!!!
Jeff Raymond
A strange, well-done story. Not really sure what to make of it - it's a satire of sorts, not always successful but not a failure either, but quick and interesting enough to be worth my time. Closer to a 3.5, I suppose, but I can't really figure out what I liked or disliked about it, if that makes any sense.
Anoop Menon
Starts off interestingly enough;as a mockumentary of the cutthroat pharmaceutical/cosmetics industry & how it exploits basic human nature,for profit.Yet the story/art/characters remain unimpressive.Hickman's best work? Nope,not by a long shot.
Campbell Matthew
a bit of a trifle compared to a lot of hickman's other work but enjoyable, well-written, especially for a series more about the politics of venture capitalism and the tech industry rather than the 'what-if' science fiction implied by its title.
Nick Kives
This was an odd book, but the last chapter brought it all together and made it great. It was kind slow since it was setup as if you were watching a documentary with a narrator who is doing interviews throughout to tell the story.
X
maybe 3.5 the book was enjoyable enough i suppose but like the story mostly goes nowhere. there's a lot of talk and not a lot of doing? i don't know but i do know this book had so few women but they were treated like shit so yeah.
Chad
a solid idea that just wasn't executed to the fullest potential. Mostly I'm disappointed that Hickman didn't do the art for this himself. His infographic-heavy style seems like it would have been a perfect fit for a faux documentary.
Chris Comerford
A confronting, stark portrayal of humanity's self-destructive quest for perfection, evoking a mashup of Gattaca, Planet of the Apes and the real-life machinations of companies like Apple and Microsoft. Bloody good stuff.
Matt Piechocinski
Nice commentary on big science/big medicine. I think it's pretty ironic that Hickman is apparently against corporations of any type, and yet writes Fantastic Four.
Lyric
This is one of the best books I have ever read! Everyone needs to read this book. Go get a copy! Right now! Before the apes take over.
Trae Brookins
Really, it shouldn't have been so boing and pat. The story was flat, the characters interchangeable. The illustrations were adequate to good.
Anwar Vázquez
Escrita en un estilo documental, entretiene pero no cumple las expectativas. Como a la mitad ya sabes o imaginas como acabará.
Goodreads Librari...: Is "comixology" a valid book format 5 83 Mar 20, 2012 04:47AM
  • Casanova, Vol. 1: Luxuria
  • DMZ, Vol. 10: Collective Punishment
  • Fear Agent, Volume 2: My War
  • Scalped, Volume 5: High Lonesome
  • Prophet Volume 1: Remission
  • Supergod
  • Secret Warriors, Vol. 1: Nick Fury, Agent Of Nothing
  • Sleeper, Vol. 2: All False Moves
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at...more
More about Jonathan Hickman...
The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science, Bad The Nightly News East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise Fantastic Four Volume 1 The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 2: They Rule