Start by marking “Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)

Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  5,260 ratings  ·  262 reviews
17 years ago Stenwold witnessed the Wasp Empire storming the city of Myna in a brutal war of conquest. Since then he has preached vainly against this threat in his home city of Collegium, but now the Empire is on the march, with its spies and its armies everywhere, and the Lowlands lie directly in its path.
Published December 1st 2008 by Tor Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Empire in Black and Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire in Black and Gold

Joe Moley
I'm in a very small minority here as most reviewers on Goodreads and Amazon simply love this book. While it may not be a 1 star book, I'm stuck without an applicable rating to give it. There really needs to a be a "can't finish it" rating. I tried to like this book but about of a third into it, I realized what I just couldn't stand anymore. There is simply no description of ANYTHING.

You really have no idea what the cities are like nor what the world scape consists of. If you look at the map pro
Search
It was a very fine book with an original idea and well executed too. Solid world building, even pacing and impeccable characterization, plenty of action as well.
But I've been reading exceptionally great books in the recent past with Paul Kearney, Steven Erikson, and K.J Parker's books so it fell a prey to involuntary comparisons, although I did try very hard to not let that happen and enjoy this book on its own merits which are considerable.

One thing I missed was epic battles which I am rather
edifanob
Empire in Black and Gold is the first volume of the fantasy series Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

My impressions:

There is a wise man, a threat, a "party", a travel, betrayal, fights. Hmmh, sounds familiar. But there are no elves, dwarfs, hobbits or trolls. Instead we find steampunk elements and most unsual: insect-kinden.
Insect-kinden? There are several human races who long ago adapted to prehistoric insects. Examples: mantis-kinden are warriors, beetle-kinden like mechanics, wasp-kind
Liviu

Excellent debut fantasy set in a quite unusual world of various human races that have some specific insect adaptation and are called insect-kinden, e.g. beetle-kinden squat, mechanically inclined, mantis-kinden fast deadly warriors, spider-kinden masters of intrigue in whose society women dominate, moth-kindeb mystical former rulers until the mechanically inclined kinden, beetle, ants and flies overthrew them and built an early industrial society of city states - Lowlands - loosely allied and h
Matthew
Solid.. but didn't blow me away.. full review in a few days.
Leon Aldrich
As other reviewers have mentioned, this series is premised on a completely original world building idea, in which the different races ("kinden") are based on different types of insect, with appropriate powers. I started the first book reluctantly because it sounded campy, but soon found I couldn't put it down.
Moira
Začneme něčím jednodušším, abych měla čas si srovnat myšlenky. Česká obálka je dechberoucí. Roman Kýbus je nadaný grafik a jeho nádherné ilustrace doprovází i celý děj knihy. Málo, malinko jich je, a přesto jsou nádherné. x))

A k samotné knize: WOW! Ráda bych řekla, že jsem se už dlouho nesetkala s tak skvěle propracovaným příběhem, bohužel jsem ale ani ne před měsícem četla Sandersonovu trilogii Mistborn. Ale kdyby nebylo tohoto skvělého dílka, řekla bych to bez zaváhání. Zdá se mi skoro nemožné
sologdin
So, initially, I thought it was going to be The Lord of the Rings, but with Bug-People. We read that Gandalf sends four young hobbits from the Shire to Bree, where they are to meet Strider. Strider is scary. They are attacked by the roving agents of the Enemy. Some escape, and some don't. The captured ones are taken deep into Enemy territory. They are rescued, with the aid of new allies, and the rescue even involves tangentially a haunted forest. It's all set in the context of an invasion by an ...more
Jeffrey
Jul 07, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy who like fighting and science fiction
The idea of this novel, human beings who are descended or who take talents from insects is a great conceit borne of a superior imagination. Like the Wasps who are the enemy in this technological fantasy sf mix, the author gives it wings and we fly along pulled inexorably skyward. The Mantis are great warriors, the spider kindin schemers, the Beetle Kindin makers and the Butterfly kindin are dancers, but all are endowed with their heritage, and their ancestor art.

The story is a good one too. Ste
Daniel
Months after reading through Steph Swainston's excellent Castle series, I gradually developed the urge to return to the fantasy genre. So when I read a positive review of the seventh Apt book, by Tchaikovsky, I considered giving the series a shot (for, in fact, the umpteenth time--really, I should probably spend more time actually reading, as opposed to looking up things that I might like to read). A subsequent Amazon search revealed that the first three books were on sale for six smacks a piece ...more
Freya
This book was lent to me so I had no idea what it was going to be like - I find heavily military fantasy can be a bit of a hit and miss, but I found that I really enjoyed this one!

It's got fantasy, magic, steampunk and a fascinating insect ancestry origins of which are hinted at but not fully explained (at least in this book). Each race has its pros and cons which is interesting to see as well as how each race views each other, the histories and prejudices they have.

This book doesn't mess around
Paul Weimer
It's an audacious idea that you might laugh at if I describe it in print. Here goes.

On a parallel world, giant insects grew to enormous size, threatening mammals, reptiles, and primitive humans in the process. In order to adapt to this threat, tribes of humans form mystical alliances with these giant insects, taking on their traits and abilities even while remaining human.

Thus is Shadows of the Apt, the start of a new series by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

This world is moving slowly into an age of scien
Mikko Karvonen
Sep 06, 2009 Mikko Karvonen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: for people looking an enjoyable, light, adventurous distraction
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Adrian Tchaikovsky's Empire in Black and Gold has been praised a lot, but for it me it was a very mixed bag. On the other hand, it had some very glaring and irritating problems, on the other hand, once I got past those, it was a very enjoyable read.

The main strengths of the book are its characters and writing. An unusually varied - although at times somewhat stereotypical - cast with surprisingly complex relationships and motivations do a good work carrying the somewhat run-of-the-mill story, ma
Ranting Dragon

Empire in Black and Gold is the first book of the Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Czajkowski (he has it spelled Tchaikovsky on his books to make his name easier to pronounce for his American and English readers). It is currently eight books long, with the promise of ten books in all.

The kinden
In Tchaikovsky’s world, instead of races or nationalities, we see a people somehow descended from/connected to/inspired by insects. These people are known as kind
Alytha
Short summary:

The population of the world is divided into kinden, which each carry the name of, and display some characteristics of certain insects or arachnids, like flies, wasps, mantises, beetles, scorpions etc. (I wonder if there are Ladybird kinden?)
In the east, there lies the Wasp Empire, threatening to engulf the Lowland citystates.
In the City of Collegium, the centre of learning in the Lowlands, a quartet of friends, students and aspiring duellists, get recruited as spies by Stenwold Mak
Patremagne
I'm sure every reader knows the feeling of starting a book you're skeptical about and being pleasantly surprised. Empire in Black and Gold was that and so much more. I had continually pushed it down on my TBR list because the whole insect idea just didn't click with me. Eventually I caved thinking that what if it ended up being a gem? Tchaikovsky writes pretty damn fast for a new-ish (I know '08 isn't that new but still) author whom not a ton of people know about.

The human race is divided into s
Jared Millet
This was an amazing debut, and I in no way expected to enjoy it as much as I did. It was certainly the most fun fantasy novel I've read in a long time. It's a comparison not many will make, but this book made me feel the same as when I first read Weis & Hickman's DragonLance novels back in the 80s, before elves, dwarves, and D&D character classes became worn out cliches. The world of Shadows of the Apt does have the feel of a gaming universe, complete with its own races and classes, but ...more
Jason
I really enjoyed this debut novel from Tchaikovsky. The unusual races of insect kinden give this novel a very unique and intriguing feel. The story is the typical bad guy's empire is taking over the world and many people/countries still do not believe it. The characters are interesting and the writing style is quite detailed. His action scenes are depicted in the vain of RA Salvatore where you often are told where each step, flip, and swing of the sword is. This novel reminded me of Star Wars a ...more
Lege
3,5 stars

A month ago, I stumbled upon blog post Adrian Tchaikovsky wrote for A Dribble of Ink about insects; or to be specific, why he chose to write about them. In it he wrote something that made me think:
Insects are not rare occurrence in fantasy, but their portrayal is predominately negative.
And he is totally right; I couldn't remember one example to defy that statement.
But that's just one thing that makes world building of Shadows of the Apt series unique.

The world of Kinden
Kinden are human
Kettricken
Empire in Black and Gold was a bit of a mixed-bag for me.

Tchaikovsky creates a fascinating world, with steampunk elements like steam trains and air ships. In addition to this, there is magic and mysterious old races. Most striking in this book are the people in this world; insect-kinden, who've inherited traits of different kinds of insects. Every race has got different traits: Beetle kinden for example, are hard workers with a preference for technological knowledge, Spider-kinden are charismati
Rachel Cotterill
I love well-developed fantasy worlds with political intrigue and subterfuge, and Empire in Black and Gold has these qualities in spades. There historical and current relationships between the different races (each with its own insect-inspired talents) are fraught, and the menacing new force of the Wasp Empire is underestimated by leaders who are more focused on ancient enmities.

The main characters are a resistance group gathered around a scholar and accidental spymaster called Stenwold, who has
There is nothing incredibly unique about the plot of this book. There is a bad empire, and one man knows about them. No one will believe that man, so it's a "one man against the world" type thing. He has his lovable sidekicks which start out ignorant and age throughout the novel because they endured some horrible events and fights and all that.

You don't read this book for the plot. You read it because Tchaikovsky has succeeded in creating one of the most unique worlds I've ever read. Ever.

There
Forrest
Empire in Black and Gold is very hard to pin down, as my failure to assess its profile should indicate. It is a piece of epic fantasy, complete with clashing kingdoms, valiant warriors and good versus evil. It is also a story of spies and political intrigue. And the world is a strange and wonderful hybrid of classic medieval kingdoms, post-renaissance sensibility and industrial age technology. The mash-up of setting tropes is jarring at first, but becomes endearing as more of the world and the s ...more
Amanda
Empire in Black and Gold is an interesting little discovery. Adrian Tchaikovsky has been quietly churning out this series, which receives lots of solid but not glowing book reviews, for the past few years and now is the first time I've felt inclined to pick it up.

I say an interesting, rather than brilliant, discovery because Empire in Black and Gold is a mixed experience.

On the one hand, the worldbuilding premise that Tchaikovsky utilises is truly brilliant and unique. The concept of kinden - di
Kahawihson
Christina
So back in 2009 I bought three books by Adrian Tchaikovsky because they sounded very interesting ... and I thought it was a trilogy. After they arrived, I realized these were the first three books in a series supposed to be 10 books. Finally, I got around to starting on this series - and I'm really impressed. This first book in the series is also apparently Tchaikovsky's first novel and although the plot line is somewhat familiar from other fantasy series - and also, from some real life circumst ...more
Traci
Abandoned at 20%

This just isn't something I'm going to like and it's too long to continue just so I can "finish" it.

The good is it's unique. If you're tired of clichés and fantasy tropes maybe you should give this a whirl.

It's about a nation of bug people, beetles, spiders, ants, and others, and a new type of invading bug men that are wasps. This was a part of my problem. Are they men with the attributes of these bugs? Are they men with some of the features of these bugs? Or are they bugs with m
Jamie Gibbs
"Empire in Black and Gold is a fantastic start to the series, and I am definitely going to do a catch-up read of the rest of his Shadows of the Apt series. Thoroughly enjoyable."

Read the full review at Mithril Wisdom
Abby Goldsmith
There's a lot to like about this book. Epic scope, lots of action and romance and adventure. It captivated me. The idea of people who can fly, categorized by bug properties, was innovative and cool. Since readers know about bugs, we can guess at the properties of each kinden, which alleviates the need for a ton of fantasy jargon. I especially loved the dialogue, eloquent and otherworldly and really well written.

But ... I'm probably not going to read ten books in this series. I never fully immer
Benjamin Newland
Dear Kenny,

You are going to love this one, man. I know you’re all about the epic fantasy, when you can’t have military space opera, so Adrian Tchaikovsky’s Empire in Black and Gold, filled with fantasy combat both individual and at the army level, is right up your alley. Up you alley and out onto your main street even.

I mentioned in my last letter that this one was loaned to me by Matt in the condo next door. Not sure where he found this guy, but he’s a British writer, though not nearly so odd o
What does 'Masters of the Grey, Servants of the Green' mean? 1 3 May 16, 2015 10:34AM
Is Stenwald a useless old Beetle? 7 39 May 05, 2014 12:13PM
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand (The Macht #1)
  • The Red Wolf Conspiracy (The Chathrand Voyage, #1)
  • The Folding Knife
  • The Adamantine Palace (The Memory of Flames, #1)
  • Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
  • The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)
  • Among Thieves (Tales of the Kin, #1)
  • Farlander
  • Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak, #1)
  • Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1)
  • Shadow's Son (Shadow Saga, #1)
  • Spellwright (Spellwright, #1)
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
  • The Unremembered (The Vault of Heaven, #1)
  • Tome of the Undergates (Aeons' Gate, #1)
  • The Conqueror's Shadow
  • The King's Bastard (King Rolen's Kin, #1)
ADRIAN TCHAIKOVSKY was born in Lincolnshire and studied zoology and psychology at Reading, before practising law in Leeds. He is a keen live role-player and occasional amateur actor and is trained in stage-fighting. His literary influences include Gene Wolfe, Mervyn Peake, China Miéville, Mary Gently, Steven Erikson, Naomi Novak, Scott Lynch and Alan Campbell.
More about Adrian Tchaikovsky...

Shadows of the Apt (10 books)
  • Dragonfly Falling (Shadows of the Apt, #2)
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt, #4)
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)
  • Heirs of the Blade (Shadows of the Apt, #7)
  • The Air War (Shadows of the Apt, #8)
  • War Master's Gate (Shadows of the Apt, #9)
  • Seal of the Worm (Shadows of the Apt, #10)
Dragonfly Falling (Shadows of the Apt, #2) Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3) Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt, #4) The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5) The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)

“You're not like other Wasps."
"Aren't I?" Aagen smiled, but it was a painful smile. "No doubt you've killed my kinsmen by the score."
"A few," Salma allowed.
"Well, next time you shed my kinden's blood, think on this: we are but men, no less nor more than other men, and we strive and feel joy and fail as men have always done. We live in the darkness that is the birthright of us all, that of hurt and ignorance, only sometimes... sometimes there comes the sun." He let the bowl fall from his fingers to the floor, watching it spin and settle, unbroken.”
7 likes
“And then it dropped lower, and her eyes caught it in all its pale majesty. It was a moth, no more, no less, but as it circled down towards them she saw that its furry body was larger than that of a horse, its wingspan awesome, each wing as long as six men laid end to end. It had a small head, eyes glittering amongst the glossy fur behind frond-like antennae that extended forward in delicate furls. As it landed, the sweep of its wings extinguished most of their little fires.” 3 likes