Start by marking “The Boomer Burden: Dealing with Your Parents' Lifetime Accumulation of Stuff” as Want to Read:
The Boomer Burden: Dealing with Your Parents' Lifetime Accumulation of Stuff

The Boomer Burden: Dealing with Your Parents' Lifetime Accumulation of Stuff

A practical guide to advise Baby Boomers how to deal with the daunting task of facing a parents' eventual passing as it relates to residential contents, heirlooms, and the often difficult family interactions and feuds that accompany them.

With fascinating stories and comprehensive checklists, professional estate liquidator Julie Hall walks Baby Boomers through the often pai
Published June 1st 2008 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Boomer Burden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boomer Burden

Charlene Intriago
Feb 02, 2014 Charlene Intriago rated it really liked it
I thought this was a pretty good book for anybody needing to clean out their parents accumulation of stuff or just wanting to clean out their own so no one else has to do it for them! The author provides suggestions and clear-cut steps for not only getting rid of material possessions but also what to do when parents get older, need additional help, dealing with siblings, what to do if you are the executor of a will, etc.
Julie (jjmachshev)
Nov 03, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008-reads
A book that should be required reading for anyone over twenty! "the Boomer Burden", while targeted towards the baby boomer generation, is an excellent how-to handbook for dealing with aging parents and the eventual burden of settling their estate. The book is written with the children in mind, but also includes sections targeted to the parents with open and clear advice on everything from: when and how to suggest additional home help, when and how to suggest and find alternate living facilities, ...more
Sherry
Jul 28, 2009 Sherry rated it it was amazing
If you have parents who are still living or are a parent yourself, I cannot recommend this book to you strongly enough.

PLEASE GO BUY THIS BOOK TODAY!

(I'll wait while you order it on Amazon. It's only $10.19 and qualifies for free shipping. Buy a bunch. Send them to everyone. You'll thank me for it someday. Go ahead. Do it now. Buy one for yourself, one for your parents, one for your in-laws, one for each of your siblings, one for each of your children. Then buy a couple more just for good measu
Diane
Feb 22, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
Interesting with a lot of cautionary tales of scams & problems of settling an estate! But the majority of the emphasis is on sibling conflicts. Understandably a big problem but as an "only" it didn't offer as much as help on the physical aspects of clearing for me.
Diane
Sep 08, 2008 Diane rated it it was amazing
lots of good info and tips. Author's big stressing point: keep the lines of communication with family members open. Not always easy to do but it's not always about you.
Helynne
Mar 10, 2015 Helynne rated it really liked it
In this straightforward, informative manual on how to prepare for he inevitable, Julie Hall, “the estate lady,” targets those of us born between 1946 and 1964—a group that is dealing with aging parents . . . . for the time at hand. But I think this book should be required reading for everyone regardless of his/her current age. Aren’t we all eventually going to have to deal with liquidating our parents’ estates, emptying the houses they no longer inhabit, and dividing up the possessions they may ...more
Laurie
Sep 11, 2008 Laurie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: eldest children; those who are executors of their parents' estates. Robin!
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I had intended just to skim through this book to get some tips on how to deal with my in-laws' clutter, but I ended up reading it cover-to-cover. Actually, now that I've read the library's copy, I intend to buy a copy for my husband.

This book has wonderful advice on planning ahead for the inevitable, what happens when there is no will, how to deal with junk mail (go to www.greendimes.com), and where to start when emptying out an entire house. The author, known as "The Estate Lady", shows compass
Bernadette
Apr 21, 2010 Bernadette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I must hand it to Julie Hall for addressing the very emotionally-charged subject of getting rid of a parent’s “things” when they pass away. Especially since she specifically addresses the generation of Baby Boomers whose parents grew up during the depression and, for one reason or another, accumulated belongings that have now become a burden on their surviving children.

In The Boomer Burden: Dealing with Your Parents’ Lifetime Accumulation of Stuff, Hall starts by talking about how the idea for t
Jun 03, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Seeing as I am not a Baby Boomer and I have the great fortune that both of my parents are healthy and well, it's a bit odd that I picked up this book, but the title grabbed me. The book is intended for readers who have recently lost parents and are trying to deal with their estate or are preparing their elderly parents for moving to assisted living facilities. The author does a great job explaining how to handle the situation, what professionals to call (and when to call a professional) and how ...more
Carrie McKoy
Jun 01, 2016 Carrie McKoy rated it it was amazing
This is a MUST READ for anyone who basically is a parent or has a parent. Julie Hall shares stories of ways families have dealt with finalizing a parent's estate, and unfortunately many of them are ugly! How awful to follow a parent's death with greed and bickering and strife. I highly recommend this to those whose parents are boomers, entering retirement years, or moving into a nursing home, as well as any parents who accumulate lots of "stuff". Julie teaches you how to deal with all you've ...more
Denise
Jan 20, 2015 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Supportive advice from an estate clearance professional. Strong on the emotional and practical side (don't try to do it alone, start with a meeting of the heirs without spouses, change the locks, set off a bug bomb before you tackle the attic), somewhat weak on the financial side though she does encourage contacting an attorney. Points out that boomers need to make our wills and get rid of our stuff so we don't put our kids through what we are going through with our parents.
Jan
Jan 30, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Needing some education on how to help sort out my parent's estate, I found this book and have juiced it for all it's worth. My sister and I have the dubious duty of settling my dad's estate when he dies, and I feel indebted to him for helping us understand his finances and having a will. But I am still in way over my head and glad for soome guidance. I reccommended that my brothers and sister read it.
Heather
Apr 05, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
The Appendix B is loaded with all kinds of resources. Will be looking up so of those to use with my parents. Great ideas for how to approach the conversation with living parents and what to do after both parents are gone if no will existed. And over all definitely see the need for eliminating the extra stuff & downsizing now, not late.
Ann Hall
Oct 30, 2010 Ann Hall rated it really liked it
The subtitle says it all: Dealing with your Parents' Lifetime Accumulation of Stuff. Another great chapter title, "The Hearse Doesn't Come with a Trailer Hitch." The author, no relation, is a bit compulsive about details, offering lots of tabs, dividers, and plastic thingys to keep stuff in--definitely pre-IPhone--but the advice is great: get a will, POA, and living will.
Liz De Coster
Sep 28, 2008 Liz De Coster rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book, ultimately, is quite sad. I found it very, very helpful, but I imagine easier to think about in the abstract than the specific. I lent it to my mother, as we are dealing with a volume of items from my grandparents' estate(s), and she found it helpful as well.
Robin Chalk
Mar 17, 2015 Robin Chalk rated it liked it
Full of horror stories to motivate you to deal with stuff now rather than leaving it for your kids. Practical how-to information for dispersing of an estate. I didn't enjoy reading it, and actually returned it before I read every word, but it is very motivating!
Amy
Nov 16, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
This book has been a very valuable resource to us and helped us smoothly navigate through the process of clearning out our parents' house. It also includes quite a bit of information on how to start a dialogue with aging parents while they are still independent.
Stephanie
Started this last summer and had to put away when my class started...great info for helping families think through/plan to help with aging parents. Will be picking it up again soon.
Jean Mejerle
Jan 24, 2014 Jean Mejerle is currently reading it
Excellent book about clearing your parents belongings but also tips and encouragement for downsizing your own house. Very timely and helpful book!
Andrea
Apr 18, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A depressing reality check - makes me want to go upstairs and clean out my attic, then call my parents and go clear out their attic, too.
Barbara
Oct 12, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I read about this book on the unclutterer blog. It has lots of practical advice for avoiding pitfalls when settling a family estate.
Jack
Jack rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Tricia
Jan 31, 2016 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Provides vital information and valuable suggestions.
Ariel
Sep 29, 2015 Ariel added it
Shelves: didntfinish
Nope, don't need to read a book about my parents dying. Not capable of that.
Shirley Whitecotton
Shirley Whitecotton rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Melamom
Melamom rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2009
hy
hy rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2014
Michele Bernal
Michele Bernal rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014
BJ Whitson
BJ Whitson rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Ollie
Ollie rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2009