Start by marking “A Patriot's Handbook: Songs, Poems, Stories, and Speeches Celebrating the Land We Love” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Now available in paperback, the New York Times bestseller. When John F. Kennedy called America "the land we love" more than 42 years ago, he was reminding us of the lofty ideals on which our country was founded. But what are those ideals, and how have Americans defined them Is America the land of George Washington and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who rallied the country's sp ...more
Published April 13th 2005 by Hachette Books (first published 2003)

I Am Malala by Malala YousafzaiIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingLean In by Sheryl SandbergThe Reason I Jump by Naoki HigashidaThe Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
Books Rec'd By The Daily Show
114th out of 364 books — 221 voters
Gospel According to RFK by Robert F. KennedyFrost/Nixon by David FrostThe Walking Dead, Vol. 03 by Robert KirkmanLive from Baghdad by Robert WienerThe Walking Dead, Vol. 02 by Robert Kirkman
Carl's Favorite Books
11th out of 30 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Evelyn
Jun 23, 2010 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
A Patriot's Handbook: Poems, Stories, and Speeches Celebrating the Land We Love. Selected and Introduced by Caroline Kennedy.

This is a 600+ page book. One of those books, in my opinion, that you pick up and read for a while, then think about what you have read for days to come afterwards.

It is a joy to read albeit some of the stories and speeches are not easy to take i.e freedom, slavery and the plight of women. But they are enlightening just the same.

I am nowhere near finished reading this b
Denise Bradshaw
Dec 07, 2015 Denise Bradshaw rated it really liked it
This book was written because she felt the term 'Patriotic Act' (laws that were created post 9/11) was improperly used, and kept people from voting against the act, because they were worried they would not be viewed as a 'patriot'.
Regardless of a Kennedy's political viewpoint, this is a great book - filled with stories I never knew of, and I considered myself as a strong American historian.
I would like to recommend to Caroline that she continue to create these types of books - where so many peop
Amy
Jul 12, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
I am not a fan of the Kennedys, but I actually liked Caroline's intro, and the bulk of the book consists of actual "poems, stories and speeches celebrating the land we love". We are listening to this on cd-it is great!!! Archival recordings of wonderful historic speeches as well as selections read by those such as James Earl Jones, Martha Plimpton and John McCain. I bought it new, from a private vendor on Amazon for less than 6 bucks INCLUDING shipping. It is perfect for getting us into the spir ...more
Kerry Trombley
Oct 15, 2015 Kerry Trombley rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book, 2015
Pretty cool collection of poems, stories, and speeches. I only read it for the Frontier Thesis by Fredrick Jackson Turner, but I enjoyed most of the rest too, especially because you got the read the entirety of famous poems and speeches. You got a lot more context than just reading the famous soundbite.
Beverly Rousch
Jul 04, 2015 Beverly Rousch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
My favorite read every year on July 4th. You cry and are inspired and it's everything this day should be.
Stephanie
Nov 26, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-faves
LOVE this book and the whole idea of it. Borrowed it from a friend just to read a few lines here and there and ended up spending the better part of a Saturday just reading the whole dang thing! Caroline Kennedy hand selected the best of the best events, stories, poems and passages having to do with America and freedom and put them all in one great book. Brilliant idea! I love the way she categorizes the passages and adds her own introduction to each of them. It is a book I always want to have on ...more
Jason
Mar 02, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it
Great collection of patriotic works. Highly recommend audio version of book.
Linda Chudej
Jul 20, 2013 Linda Chudej rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kennedy
If you are a patriot of the U.S.A. this is the book for you! I love my country and really enjoy reading the stories, poems and speeches collected by Caroline Kenney for this book. Ms. Kennedy's recollections of why these selections are included in the book are excellent and moving. On special holidays I read the applicable story, speech and/or poem to "celebrate" or "recognize" the special day. It would be an enriching book for an English teacher, History teacher, Government teacher or any teach ...more
Brian
Jun 29, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: students, politicians
A fantastic collection of poems, songs and speeches that help define what America is all about. The selections are so diverse. Having the Bill of Rights and songs by Bruce Springsteen in the same collection seems strange but both so clearly reflect America. Every time I pick it up I find a new favorite.
Caroline Kennedy is a personal hero of mine and this collection is one reason why.
Krista
Jul 07, 2011 Krista rated it it was amazing
This is one of those "every family should have it" books. Mine is actually autographed by Caroline Kennedy!! Filled with an assortment of poems, speeches, and more about our nation's heritage. Rich, rich, rich! I've owned it for years and occasionally (usually 4th of July) I take it off the shelf to find a few different essays or poems to read.
Lesle
Jan 18, 2016 Lesle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Anyone who loves our Country and all the little things that make it such a great place to be, will really enjoy Caroline Kennedy's well thought out gathering of songs, salutes, poems, stories, great books and wonderful pictures all related to the history of our Nation.
Philip
Nov 14, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing
One of the most important books in my library. This collection is the basis of freedom and liberty in American political history. You won't find these in one spot like this!!! I bought ten copies of the first edition and gave them to my favorite rural libraries.
Christa
Jan 04, 2011 Christa rated it it was amazing

This is an excellent collection of quotes, songs, poems, speeches that are the stuff that make us proud to be Americans. It is a joy to read through casually, as it allows me to be reminded that I am indeed lucky to live here in the U.S.
Dionne
Jul 25, 2008 Dionne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I was a little skeptical of this book because it was compiled by Caroline Kennedy but it is a great resource book. For the ones that were put on the Cd only 2 of them irritated me. Otherwise, it is a great collection of Patriotic works.
Judy
May 05, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it
So many ways to learn about our country here - the best compilation of words about our democracy and how we should protect it. We gave this book to all of my sisters' families one Christmas.
Julie
Sep 14, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
An excellent reference book of all things American. Songs, famous speeches, quotes, etc. from presidents of the USA and Americans. Very patriotic and inspiring. Beautiful book.
Teri
Sep 17, 2007 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
If you like American history this is definitely a book you would like to read. It's full of all of the stories, poems, documents and songs we've all heard of over the years.
Wynn
Nov 21, 2015 Wynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something for everyone. Songs, poems and inspirational speeches. I especially liked the POW story about Mike Christian told by John McCain.
Macey
Feb 24, 2008 Macey rated it it was amazing
I don't care for the Kennedy's but this book is full of anything to do with our courntry. Full of Songs, Poems, Stories and Speeches. Great book!
Christie
Jul 06, 2012 Christie rated it it was amazing
This book is a must have for a wonderful celebration of our country. I love this book and pick it up once a month to devour a different section.
Khinna
Dec 20, 2012 Khinna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry

I finally bought this whole shuffling through my Goodwill. I really enjoy Caroline's compilations of poetry.
Kitty
Jun 17, 2010 Kitty rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I read this a few years ago but just found it as I am moving books to paint a room. I liked it a lot. So helpful.
Liann McCreery
Jan 10, 2008 Liann McCreery rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Excellent resource for teachers from "Sweet Caroline." (Did anyone else find that Neil Diamond admission to be creepy?)
Tobi
Apr 10, 2008 Tobi rated it it was amazing
Everyone should have this on their shelf. Full of speechs made by important figures in history.
Kellyann
Jan 26, 2008 Kellyann rated it liked it
this has my copy of the constiution and bill or rights which i read each year in July.
Barbara
May 23, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing
One of those "open it to any page and find something good" books. Highly recommend this one.
Mary
Apr 24, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Inspiring.
brittney
Apr 17, 2007 brittney rated it liked it
I enjoyed this!
Jomcmullen
Jomcmullen marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Jenifer Yvette
Jenifer Yvette marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
  • Jacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years: Selections from the John F. Kennedy Library & Museum
  • Our Sacred Honor: The Stories, Letters, Songs, Poems, Speeches, and Hymns that Gave Birth to Our Nation
  • Letters of the Century: America 1900-1999
  • Victory
  • Demon of the Waters: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Whaleship Globe
  • Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present
  • The Mighty and the Almighty: Reflections on America, God, and World Affairs

Caroline Bouvier Kennedy is an American author and attorney. She is the daughter and only surviving child of U.S. President John F. Kennedy and his wife, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis. An older sister, Arabella, died shortly after her birth in 1956. Brother John F. Kennedy, Jr. died in a plane crash in 19
More about Caroline Kennedy...