Start by marking “Ollie's Halloween” as Want to Read:
Ollie's Halloween

Ollie's Halloween (Gossie and Friends)

This Halloween,Gossie is a wizard and Gertie is a chicken. Peedie is a dragon and BooBoo is a bunny. Ollie is a mummy who thinks sharing is more fun than scaring. Join the goslings as they hoot, howl, and haunt the night away. Goslings are on the prowl! ...more
Published September 6th 2010 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ollie's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ollie's Halloween

gina
Aug 10, 2011 gina rated it really liked it
I love nothing better than Halloween and Autumn. This book captures the feel of Fall with its words and imagery. I love the Goslings :) Looking forward to one day reading this to a wee Robertson Lass (Or lad?) and sharing the spooky joy we call Halloween!
Taddow
Oct 01, 2015 Taddow rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my son and really enjoyed it (he enjoyed it as well and we have read it several times. What a cute little story to celebrate upcoming Halloween!
Amberly
Aug 03, 2011 Amberly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweetly spooky Halloween tale appropriate for young trick or treaters.
Kaethe
Nov 15, 2016 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Ollie's Halloween - Olivier Dunrea When the daughters were wee things we all enjoyed the Dunrea series of Gossie and friends books. So cute. They’re also a go-to for baby/toddler gifts, because really, seriously cute. I haven’t kept up though. And oh, my, have I missed a few. One word review for all of them in advance: adorable.

Library copy

Katie Fitzgerald
We are big fans of the Gossie books, and especially of Ollie, in my family, and somehow we had not yet read this one. I liked it pretty well, but the story and writing are a bit more generic than in the original Gossie. My three year old liked that Ollie was dressed as a mummy.
Karen
Oct 26, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, seasonal
Not sure if it's because I'm new to this franchise, but I found the large number of characters for such a short book a bit confusing and unnecessary. Nice festive book for the Halloween season though.
Alexandra
This book was super adorable, it was short and sweet. Well, bittersweet. It was a board book so it took a minute, maybe two, to read. It kind of made me sad, because Ollie is such an adorable little bird but he is always alone. When all the other animals are off playing or eating Halloween treats together, Ollie is staring at a ghost "in the open barn door." LMAO but oh no so sad:(
The end is happy but like...sudden and still kind of sad. Idk. I wouldn't want my kids to have this book. If I had
Jordan
Oct 27, 2014 Jordan rated it it was ok
I read the digital version of this available on curiousgeorge.com. The nice thing about this digital text is that the reader is able to turn the pages back and forth on their own as he/she chooses to do so. The text is read to the reader and is words being read are highlighted for young readers. However, the text is read so quickly and the page is turned shortly after the text is reader that there is no time for the reader to look at the words and the pictures, you have to pick one or the other. ...more
Ina
Oct 16, 2012 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
All of our favorite Dunrea characters, Gossie and Gertie, Peedie, Boo Boo, and Ollie, are costumed and ready for a big Halloween adventure. We follow them through the night barnyard with all of its scary sounds and images. It is, after all, "Halloween night. A night to betware. A night to scare." The text is simple and the illustrations are captivating being sweet and scary and funny all at the same time. The kids at my storytime loved this book and had some fun counting jack-o-lanterns and whoo ...more
Heidi
Aug 25, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read/repeat (again & again) at the moment for my little lady. She's currently into the Halloween books all on her own... I love it. Gossie, Gertie & friends are favorites of ours. We started collecting them because we ran out of new Duck & Goose stories. Great pictures, simple sentences, and a good themes (sharing here) make these nice and simple reads that the kids enjoy AND encourage good manners and ideas.
Tricia
Jan 18, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Gentle Halloween title for the younger set (meaning late toddler-early preschool). Adorable goslings experience the holiday by dressing up and having adventures. Safe bet for an all ages storytime for the holiday that includes this age in the audience due to brief text, sweet illustations and lack of anything too scary (save a ghost hanging in the barn door and a bolt of lightning).
Dolly
Oct 14, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Cute Halloween story featuring Gossie and her friends. These stories are probably a bit young for our girls, but the adorable illustrations were too cute to pass by. The narrative is short and simple, with a few rhymes and a lot of alliteration. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Michelle
The only thing I really don't like about this book is one of the illustrations of a ghost hanging on a noose.
Seems a little extreme for a pre school book; my daughter doesn't seem to mind but that page just bugs me.

Cute Halloween story.
K.E.
Jul 08, 2011 K.E. rated it really liked it
The illustrations are really great and I generally have a huge weakness for children's Halloween books. The story wasn't particularly interesting (it's a picture book, not really supposed to be) but it was cute.
Jackie
Oct 12, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ollie and his friends, Peedie, BooBoo, Gertie, and Gossie dress up in costumes for Halloween night and enjoy all the tricks and treats the holiday has to offer. Wonderfully inspired watercolor illustrations just oh-so-spooky enough for the littlest of readers.
Nbkyouth
E Dunrea
Would make a cute read-aloud for a two-year-old storytime. Very simple storyline about little goslings dressed for halloween, going "on the prowl" and creeping, scaring, shouting "boo," etc. Clean drawings, atmospheric falling leaves.
Heather Jo
Oct 26, 2016 Heather Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meggie-list
megan fall reading 2015, megan fall reading 2016, children's book, picture book, holiday book, halloween, series, gossie and gertie, prek, kindergarten, first grade, second grade,
The Library Lady
Oct 19, 2010 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I'm a fan of Dunrea's other Ollie/Gossie books, but though the pictures are as nice as usual, the story just doesn't work well in this one.
Peacegal
Apr 25, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
This is a big improvement of most of the (too) minimalist Ollie books. Nicely detailed backgrounds.
Meredith
Oct 21, 2011 Meredith rated it really liked it
Ollie -- the super cute brown gosling -- and his gosling friends celebrate Halloween on the farm. This would be an excellent non-scary Halloween selection.
Miri
Jul 01, 2016 Miri rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Nothing special, but fun to read if you like the Gossie and friends books. Those little goslings are cute.
Jocelin
Sep 08, 2013 Jocelin rated it it was ok
I have read another one of this author's books and I liked it a little better. Super simple story. Not a lot of fun, the illustrations are cute.
jacky
Oct 10, 2014 jacky rated it liked it
Not my favorite in the series. The text was not structured the same way, and I missed that. It was cute seeing the goslings in their costumes, but the conflict was a little too subtle.
Kim
Nov 11, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The goslings go trick-or-treating.

themes: costumes, farms, goslings, Halloween, trick-or-treating
Ashley
Oct 06, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
Not as good as Ollie's Easter Eggs and a bit creepy. The language is all harder for Alice to memorize and it's less of a fun story. Still, she loves every page that includes Ollie!
Traci Bold
Aug 22, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
Five little goslings just want to scare up some fun on Halloween.

Written and illustrated by Olivier Dunrea. Published by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children.

#Halloween #goslings #costumes #PB
Michael
Nov 13, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
We love Ollie! Not as poignant as Ollie's simple board book tales, but it's Halloween, so that was fun.
Tiffany
Nov 14, 2013 Tiffany rated it liked it
This book is probably most appropriate for toddlers and younger preschool students. It is a cute read for little ones.
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ghosts in the House!
  • A Kiss Like This
  • Moonlight: The Halloween Cat
  • Only a Witch Can Fly
  • Five Little Monkeys Trick-or-Treat
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Pumpkin Moonshine
  • Happy Halloween, Curious George tabbed board book
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • Dinosaur vs. the Potty
  • 10 Trick-or-Treaters
  • Cat Dreams
  • Pumpkin Eye
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Minerva Louise on Halloween
Since his debut in 1983, author and illustrator Olivier Dunrea has created a steady stream of picture books, including concept books, stories of family life—modern and ancient—and stories about artists. Many of Dunrea's picture books testify to his love of animals and his interest in archaeology and folklore of the British Isles, and several—including Ravena, The Trow-Wife's Treasure, and Bear Noe ...more
More about Olivier Dunrea...

Gossie and Friends (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Gossie
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • Ollie
  • Ollie the Stomper
  • BooBoo
  • Peedie
  • Hop! Plop!
  • Merry Christmas, Ollie!
  • Ollie's Easter Eggs (Gossie and Friends)
  • Gideon