Start by marking “Tears of the Maasai” as Want to Read:
Tears of the Maasai

Tears of the Maasai

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  9 reviews
After a disastrous affair, Jack Morgan is at an emotional crossroads. When he's offered a UN posting in Kenya he grabs it, believing time spent on foreign soil will help him forget and move on. But Africa is a land of danger, adventure and temptation, and within weeks of arriving Jack is seduced - by the spectacular Serengeti National Park, the rich Kenyan culture, and a b ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 532 pages
Published December 15th 2004 by Harper Collins Publishers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tears of the Maasai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tears of the Maasai

Megan
This book could commit a lot of sins but the fact that it's set in Kenya allows it to get away with occasional annoyances (like hello, how many times do we have to reiterate that she's an exotic, black, sleek African princess?). It basically comes down to what appears to be a eager effort on the part of the author to create really compelling, noble, tragic characters, who fall a bit outside the realm of believability as a result. I did think the ending was crap as well.

That being said I was inte
Leah Cripps
This book could have been so much better. Some of the writing was cliched, implausible and cringe worthy. I nearly did not finish this and feel that I still do not know very much about the Maasai.
Karen
This was great read, a bit boy meets girls etc, but still engaging. Ended in the air, let open could have a sequel. I will read more of this Aussie author. Coates has reseached well, and brought forward to colour of Africa, the myth, the culture, the troubles and challenges. Enjoyable.
Samantha
I had mixed feelings about this book. The setting was great, many of the characters interesting, some good pace and conflict -but some parts just skipped around and got confusing, and some parts of the plot were a bit too unbelievable.
Felicity
The only thing I got out of this book was the Maasai proverb: "An elephant makes but a small hole in the jungle" (ie; seemingly important events may in time prove to be of little consequence).
John Polson
Had never heard of Coates - picked up the book because of the subject matter - and enjoyed it. Very well researched. I once spent a few months in Kenya - but discovered much from this book.
Elana
Readable, interesting and adventurous... Yet not a favourite.
Liz
Liz added it
Jan 28, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Mar 29, 2015
Mark Pomeroy
Mark Pomeroy marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Sanjana
Sanjana is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Ebb Amanda
Ebb Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Marley
Marley marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Frank Coates was born in Melbourne, ran away to Africa in 1989 at the age of 45, joined a UN team in Nairobi as a technical expert and a year later, on the shores of Lake Victoria, married a Tanzanian of the Nyamwezi tribe.

It was a life-changing experience for the ex-Telecom Australia engineer who had earlier worked in Malaysia and Papua New Guinea. The UN contract ended, but Frank was now hooked
More about Frank Coates...
In Search of Africa Beyond Mombasa The Last Maasai Warrior Softly Calls the Serengeti Echoes from a Distant Land