Start by marking “World Atlas of Wine” as Want to Read:
World Atlas of Wine

World Atlas of Wine

One of the most popular wine references ever written! This book as sold over 4 million copies and is described by critics worldwide as extraordinary and irreplaceable. 400 pages of thorough maps and descriptions of wine regions found no where else.
Published October 1st 2007 by Mitchell Beazley (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about World Atlas of Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Atlas of Wine

Evan Hansen
Jun 30, 2008 Evan Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arguably the most indispensible wine book published in recent years. Wine has always been a product of a place: There are good reasons that Michigan is known for cherries and Maryland is known for crabs, good reasons that New England is known for shellfish and Florida is known for citrus. These are places that naturally are able to grow the very best of these things, and there are entire cuisines and cultures and events built around them.

So it is with wine. Particular grapes grow better in parti
Curlyfoodie
Oct 30, 2016 Curlyfoodie rated it it was amazing
The big boy of wine books. You can spend hours gazing at the maps and picturing yourself strolling through vineyards from Burgundy to Napa.
Babette
Mar 01, 2009 Babette rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I saw a reference to The World Atlas of Wine recently (my memory fails me again) and thought I would investigate. It seems a most comprehensive and relatively up-to-date volume. It certainly can give me infomation that will increase my enjoyment of the frequent tastings at my favorite wine store.
As I read it, I realized that one of the aspects of places I visit that is important to me is what people eat and drink. Wine is important in almost every part of the world, and people make trips specifi
Adrian
Mar 25, 2007 Adrian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodstuffs
This book offers a good introduction to the world of wine. It charts all the major wine regions of the world and offers a nonprofessional’s account of the way that soil, climate and grapes interact to produce the sweet nectar of the gods that we all know and love. The areas covered range from France to China. The author goes into incredible detail for the most important wine regions such as Bordeaux and the Mosel, showing maps of individual villages. The most helpful aspect of the atlas is the i ...more
Jacopo
Non è possibile parlare di vino senza anche una solida base geografica. È in questo senso che due tra i critici del vino più famosi al mondo – entrambi inglesi – hanno ormai tantissimi anni fa redatto un volumone (aggiornato da poco) che offre una panoramica sulle caratteristiche di tutte le maggiori regioni produttive. Un atlante molto anglosassone per impostazione, forse un filo didascalico in alcuni passaggi ma capace di riportare uno sguardo particolarmente completo al mondo del vino. Sempli ...more
Mark
Jan 06, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing
I've recently finished, for the second time around, the 7th edition. On my book shelves I've most of the other editions going back to the first, which I read in the 1970's, when I first became interested in wine. Little did I know then, that I'd end up making a career out of commercial wine buying! Tasting Notes Of all the books that I've read on wine, this remains my favourite general reference work. Brilliant maps, charmingly written, beautifully presented.
Matthew
Apr 11, 2008 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
For anyone who has an interest in wine and is looking to deepen their knowledge, I highly recomend this book. The book contains wonderful maps of all the worlds wine regions, recommends the quintesential wineries in each region, and does a good job explaining the physical and cultural aspects of each area which contribute the uniqueness of that areas wines. I never travel without first consulting this atlas!
lenaireen
Aug 29, 2016 lenaireen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-novels-nf
Der wohl beste Weinatlas unter allen Weinatlanten!
Durch meine Berufsausbildung und mein Interesse an Wein, kam ich wohl nicht um ein Buch dieser Art herum. Detaillierte Beschreibungen verschiedenster Anbauregionen weltweit, deren Besonderheiten und weltbekannte Weingüter mit ihren Spitzenweinen. Nur zu Empfehlen!
Seit neustem ist Auflage sieben erhältlich ;-)
Flávio Sousa
Nov 08, 2014 Flávio Sousa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beer-and-wine
Jancis Robinson's The World Atlas of Wine remains unsurpassed as the encyclopedia for oenophiles. It includes everything you'd need to know on the top-league wine regions while boasting stunning, pioneering cartography as applied to wine. The wealth of information and the manner in which it is delivered ensures its place as a perennial classic.
H L
Aug 31, 2008 H L rated it it was amazing
A spectacular, beautiful work - equally compelling for wine lovers, for cartographers and map freaks, and really, for anyone who simply loves a well-executed reference work. Just a magnificent achievement that deserves a place in most everyone's library. I love this book almost as much as I love its subject.
Andrew
Feb 07, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides a good understanding of the history of wine, its marketing biases based on the French term terroir. It does not provide too much in terms of practicalities of the process of wine production.
Kortney
Jun 17, 2016 Kortney rated it it was amazing
Very informative! I find myself returning to this book weekly. The book itself is "pretty" enough for a coffee table. A MUST for wine lovers!
Patrick
Jan 29, 2016 Patrick rated it really liked it
Love the detail in this book. You can look across the world to see the very plot or field that the grapes grew to make the wine you are currently drinking.
Tgaylord
Feb 13, 2010 Tgaylord rated it really liked it
This is a great reference work. The 4 stars reflects the fact that while I like the style of many of the maps, some leave a little to be desired as far as readibility is concerned.
Gabriele
Jan 12, 2009 Gabriele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have 3 editions of this atlas, incl the 1971 first edition. It has been reviewed 5 times and is the most comprehensive summary on wines around the world. Love it!
pjr8888
Mar 03, 2013 pjr8888 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Andreas W. Acker
Shelves: anthropology, history
OMG!!! i will never assimilate all this wine information, even if i drink every bottle of wine recommended. But i am willing to give it a try!!!
Byrd Alyssa
Aug 25, 2007 Byrd Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wine geeks
This is one of those books I find myself pulling out every time I find a new varietal or region I like and need to know more about. A good one to have onhand if you are a wine geek
Kirsten Karlen
Jul 29, 2007 Kirsten Karlen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kitchen
Diving thru this book right now - just an obscene amount of information about wines, wine tasting, etc. Good reference book.
Stuart
Mar 02, 2008 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-cooking
I have the first edition of this book. It was quite useful in laying the foundation for my understanding of wine.
Katy Hayes
Mar 14, 2007 Katy Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
amazing to read as well as a beautiful coffee table book for the wine enthusiast. A beautiful and useful gift!
Shane Perry
Dec 09, 2013 Shane Perry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Fantastic maps and photographs along with detailed explanation of the geographic variations in wine.
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2008
Will Pennell
Will Pennell rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Walter
Walter rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Theo Pollack
Theo Pollack rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Ian Benjamin
Ian Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2013
Camilla
Camilla rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Paulo Prado
Paulo Prado rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Scott Campbell
Scott Campbell rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Meg
Meg rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2008
  • The Oxford Companion to Wine
  • Windows on the World Complete Wine Course: 2007 Edition
  • Vino Italiano: The Regional Wines of Italy
  • The Wine Bible
  • What to Drink with What You Eat: The Definitive Guide to Pairing Food with Wine, Beer, Spirits, Coffee, Tea - Even Water - Based on Expert Advice from America's Best Sommeliers
  • The New Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia
  • Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer’s Tour of France
  • Judgment of Paris:  California vs. France and the Historic 1976 Paris Tasting That Revolutionized Wine
  • A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine
  • Secrets of the Sommeliers: How to Think and Drink Like the World's Top Wine Professionals
  • Drink This: Wine Made Simple
  • Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass
  • Wine for Dummies
  • Reading between the Wines
  • The Accidental Connoisseur: An Irreverent Journey Through the Wine World
  • Oldman's Guide to Outsmarting Wine: 108 Ingenious Shortcuts to Navigate the World of Wine with Confidence and Style
  • Champagne: How the World's Most Glamorous Wine Triumphed Over War and Hard Times
  • Cheese Primer
Hugh Johnson, younger son of a London lawyer, began his life-long passion for wine in all its variety as a member of the Wine & Food Society at Cambridge University, where he gained an Honours Degree in English literature. When he left King's College in 1961 he became a feature writer for Vogue and House & Garden, writing, among other articles, travel and wine columns for both magazines an ...more
More about Hugh Johnson...