Start by marking “The Beachcomber” as Want to Read:
The Beachcomber

The Beachcomber

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The country's bestselling saga writer joins HarperCollins with another page-turning drama about struggle and triumph over adversity. The Beachcomber is the story of two people, each with a dream, each lonely in different ways, and just when everything seems to be coming right for them, fate steps in to turn their worlds upside down.
Published October 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Beachcomber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beachcomber

JJ
This was so bad I have no excuse for finishing it except my strange compulsion to finish every book I start no matter how bad. Writing was terrible. Story worse than a soap opera. Really, I can't think of a worse book I've read in a really long time.
Jacqueline
Really enjoyed it,never heard of josephine cox but i'll definitely be looking for more by her,i expected a sort of love story but this book had mystery and genuinely disturbing characters as well as loveable ones!
Margaret
This is the best book of Josephine Cox out of all her books. Lots of mystery, romance and adventure. Highly recommended.
Maria

Tom é um homem desesperado. Numa noite em que seguia de carro com a sua família, alguém abalroou o carro onde seguiam e o aparatoso acidente acabaria por resultar na morte da mulher e dos filhos sendo ele o único sobrevivente.
Kathy é uma rapariga completamente só. Agora que o seu pai se foi, sente-se completamente abandonada pela família (mãe e irmã) que a desprezam completamente. Depois das partilhas terem sido feitas e de ter descoberto que o pai lhe deixou como herança Barden House, o seu ref
zoe
I found this book on the half off shelf at Barnes and Noble when on a last minute "books to read on the 14-hour-long plane to japan" quest. It happened to be this book or Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Slayer , and this one looked longer... superficial, right? :)

At any rate, I'm glad I chose this one, because it wasn't what I expected at all. The blurb advertised it as a love story, the typical man and woman in different tragic situations seek refuge in the same place, and fall in love... blah...bla
Bonnie Tharp
Ah, families. Quite messy aren't they, and even in the UK. I enjoyed the story and the characters. I was rooting for Kathy and also for Tom. They both deserved to be happy. The village of West Bay sounded beautiful and made me want to visit. I admit I had to look up a couple of words that aren't used in the US, but it was fun learning a new phrase or two. I recommend you read this, especially if you like happy endings.
Sue
If I could have given 4 and a half stars I would have, for the simple reason of the over use of 'gal' at the end of every sentence Maggie used when talking to Kathy! This was the first Josephine Cox book I have read and really enjoyed it. I shall certainly be reading more of her work in future.
Linda
A bit of mystery, romance, plot twist (but I did call it early) and lots of tea. Some likeable characters but not the wow that the jacket cover leads one to believe. Okay beach read.
Jen
The Beachcomber is a lovely book. I like this kind of story, with romance and mystery and plenty of tea. This one is really well done.

Two people looking for a change end up in the same seaside village. They have instant chemistry, but both need closure from their old lives before they can commit to new ones.

I got this book a while ago from a friend. The blurb and the title didn't really grab me. I was just about to pass it along to someone else when I looked it up on Goodreads. I'm so glad I di
Ally Harradine
The story line was ok, but the writing was terrible! I was so irritated by it at times that I swore that I wouldn't finish reading it. I only pushed through because I hate starting a book and not finishing it. Do yourselves a favour and skip this book
Jessie Jellick
Nice story but a bit obvious at times and a bit slow in others but I came to really like the characters, they were really well built up...the story was good too but everyone was a bit too pleasant considering how much murder was involved! Ha ha! I've been reading lots of easy novels of late and this was another..good easy summer beach reading!
Breanna
I stumbled upon this book on accident (I was originally looking for the book Beachcombers). It took me a little while to get into this story, but once I did it was good. I never expected some of the crazy things that happened. Due to this author being british and having the story based in the London area, there was some jargon I didnt understand. It didnt take away from the story though.
Claire
This book seemed so old fashioned--not just the era in which it was set, but the writing itself. I was planning on writing in my review that it just didn't age well, didn't stand the test of time. But then I found out it was published in 2003!

Ugh, I just didn't get it. The story was interesting enough, but the writing was just...not good.
Sharon Reeves
This I felt was one of Josephine Cox's best books. It was the first of her books that I ever read, but after compairing with her others, I think it was different from her other stories, but in a good way.

If you only read a few of Josephine Cox's books, make sure this one is on your list!
Lyn
I did like the story, and it had so much potential, but I feel that it fell short with setting up the story.... There are so many books with action, that really suck you in, but this book just kind of grazed the surface. But overall a good story!
Grace
This was a very easy book to read and I finished in a few days. One of the things that I love about this author is even when you think that you have predicted how the story will unfold she still manages to surprise you.
Becca
"Stars for enjoyability, but a little 'fluff'-y maybe. Very British, lots of tea, gardens, pints, etc. so that is fun. A bit of a love story and mystery combined. A few loose ends I found frustrating, but compelling nonetheless."
Charlea Lyn Grieco
This was a really good summer read that had me intrigued from the very first page....there were definitely some parts that I did not see coming. There were just all kinds of crazy going on though....scary.
Sabine Tramaseur
nice, easy read. Nothing too challenging though. Perfect book to take with you on a holiday or on a plane. Sweet and tame love story with a bit of mystery rolled into it.
Emma
A pleasant read, with 2 people who have in common death of family members discovering they weren't the people they thought they were. A romance come thriller. Easy listening.
Amy Abdelmaksoud
enjoyed readin this novel a lot, it's bcz of Cox's talent as a storyteller but el 7kaya nafshaa 3amla zy el film el 3araby el adeem :D ---->> suck at book reviews!
Sidney
I really enjoyed this book. It was both a love story and a mystery. The characters were easy to relate to and the plot was both disturbing and heartwarming.
Cindy
this was a yard sale find. the title caught my eye . it was a pleasant read, a mixture of mystery and romance.
Annette McIntyre
Dec 17, 2011 Annette McIntyre rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Annette by: Ray McIntyre
Two lonely people move from 1960's London after life altering events to a small village on the coast of England.
Linds
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It started off sad and not what I expected but was an uplifting story.
Nikki Jessop
I really liked this book, started the story really quickly so I was hooked straight away. well worth a read
Margaret
I have read this book twice. I thought i had read it but carried on
reading it. very good.
Jus
One of her best. Not what you'd expect - quite a few twists in this and some evil characters!
Janet Randon
Really enjoyed this book. A good mystery and did not know till very end who did it.
Melanie
Good story, easy read. A bit of thrill but felt like it draged at times.
  • By Summer's End
  • Warning Signs (Angels of Mercy, #2)
  • Tapestry
  • Respect
  • Payback
  • Echoes of Titanic
  • Stolen in the Night
  • My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester, #4)
  • Night of a Thousand Stars
  • The Journey Home
  • The Shadow Queen: A Novel of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
  • The Wrangler  (Jackson Hole, #5)
  • Go Down to Silence