Start by marking “Parnassus on Wheels” as Want to Read:
Parnassus on Wheels

Parnassus on Wheels

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  3,342 Ratings  ·  682 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published May 29th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about Parnassus on Wheels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parnassus on Wheels

Petra Eggs
Jan 02, 2013 Petra Eggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petra Eggs by: 3131238-judy
This is a pilot for a new feel-good tv series:

Opening Credits:

It is a glorious morning on a deserted track somewhere in the rural Midwest. Rolling on the lane is a long gypsy-type wagon being pulled by a great big horse. On the open seat up front holding the reins is a cheery man of middle years with kind brown eyes who is laughing gently in a conversational kind of way with a fat, rather plain but very jolly lady. They are wearing clothes of the era when cars and wagons shared the roads, 1917.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This is an old-fashioned, sweet novella published in 1917, about a self-described "fat old woman" (she's 39) who's never done anything but work as a governess and, later, cook and keep house for her bachelor brother, Andrew. Helen is content with her existence until her brother decides to start writing books about the joys of country life (he calls his first book Paradise Regained) and unexpectedly becomes a celebrity author. Suddenly he's a big "literary man," traveling around looking for inspi ...more
Dorcas
Jul 08, 2015 Dorcas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is a good book?

".…A good book ought to have something simple about it. And, like Eve, it ought to come from somewhere near the third rib; there ought to be a heart beating in it."

Check, check and check.

This is a simple, sweet story (160 pages) about a bookstore on wheels called Parnassus, the woman who buys it, and the man who can't quite give it up.

I love the heart in this story. The woman is described as a fat, middle aged spinster who has spent her youth as housekeeper to her bachelor br
Gregory
Oct 24, 2010 Gregory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit to being sort of torn on how many stars to give this story. At times I feel like I'm a little too liberal with how I fling 5 stars around at book reviews. In this case, the story wasn't anything so complex. It was just a short, simple adventure vaguely reminiscent of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer if Tom Sawyer had really, really loved books. And been a woman. But I had so much fun reading it that I couldn't put the story down. It was short, sweet, and didn't try to be anything other th ...more
DeB MaRtEnS
Without Goodreads friends I would never have been introduced to this utterly charming novella, written in 1917.

Perhaps it is less known than other books which we classify as "classics" because Parnassus on Wheels does not bridge adult and children's fiction, as do "Treasure Island" or "Huckleberry Finn". And it certainly isn't a windswept anguished romance, peopled by lovely young women as do the Brönte sisters' ilk. But it certainly stands the test of time, and for that alone, I must award it
Miriam
May 30, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, travel

Not as smooth or clever as Morley's later writing, but very sweet and fun!

Come on, what book lover could hate a short novel about driving around in a horse-drawn wagon bringing books to the bookless?
Mikki
"What absurd victims of contrary desires we are! If a man is settled in one place he yearns to wander; when he wanders he yearns to have a home. And yet how bestial is content—all the great things in life are done by discontented people."

-- Roger Mifflin of Mifflin's Travelling Parnassus

This is a tale of adventure, and although actual mileage is accrued and county lines are crossed, it's really more a personal journey -- one woman's mission to travel outside her comfort borders.

For the past 15
Hannah
Ah, delightful story! I read it through in one sitting (it isn't very long) and loved every bit of the tale of Helen, Roger, and Parnassus the bookmobile. Helen is growing deeply tired of tending her brother's affairs when she meets Roger Mifflin, who wants to sell Parnassus so he can go to Brooklyn and write his book in peace. Helen, in a streak of adventure, buys the mobile and sets off to become a bookseller.

I loved the descriptions—Helen is thirty-nine and "heavy" but shows plenty of sense
Melissa Veras
description

Anatoly
Aug 23, 2016 Anatoly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
There isn't much I can say about this book other then that it was a great read. Brilliantly written, while still kept quiet simple and above all else, lovely.
Julie  Durnell
Apr 23, 2017 Julie Durnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful little treasure! Miss Helen McGill, spinster of 39 years, did not realize how tired she was of keeping house for her brother, until the offer was made to buy the book wagon, Parnassus, and she began to count how many loaves of bread she had made over the years! How Mr. Morley wrote such an early "feminist" book is beyond me but it was well worth the read.
Parnassus according to the dictionary: a collection of poems or of elegant literature. Miss McGill and Mr. Mifflin are w
Olga Godim
Dec 08, 2013 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Olga by: Nikki
Shelves: mainstream
Charming, simply charming! I don’t believe in all my readings over the years I missed this author. I’m totally in love with this short and sweet gem of a novella, published in 1917, almost a hundred years ago. I’m going to read more of Morley. I’m definitely reading the sequel – The Haunted Bookshop – as my 1947 edition of this book has both under one cover.
Despite its low page count, Parnassus on Wheels incorporates two interweaved love stories: a short, poignant romance of two middle-aged, lon
Orsolya
Much can be said of our (a collective ‘our’ for those on this site) love for books. Especially when, we even read books on the topic of books. That is precisely a theme in the well-known novella penned by Christopher Morley, “Parnassus on Wheels”.

“Parnassus on Wheels” follows the interaction between a wagon bookseller Roger Mifflin (Houghton-Mifflin, anyone?) and country spinster Helen McGill. Tired of being tied to the farmstead under her brother’s eye (and hoping to prevent her author-brother
Phrynne
Sep 27, 2014 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered that this book was a prequel to The Haunted Bookshop so I just had to read it and it lived up to all my expectations. It is a short but utterly charming tale of how the bookshop came to be and I enjoyed it totally! I always like books about books and Christopher Morley is very good at writing them.
Chris
May 24, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might be the most fun I've had with a book in a long time! "Professor" Mifflin is a book salesman and Parnassus is his book caravan that he takes from farm to farm, spouting the goodness that can be found in books. A sprite little man, I imagined a leprechaun, quick on his feet with a twinkle in his eye and a love for the written word. One day he happens upon Sabine Farm, where he finds Helen McGill, an overweight, nearly 40-year-old woman who cooks and keeps the farm up for her brother And ...more
Sue
Feb 01, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: booklovers
What fun. I wasn't sure what to expect except that several people whose opinions I respect have enjoyed this book so much. Sometimes it's difficult to believe that I'm reading words written so long ago, I guess because there is a more modern sensibility rising. I love this early 20th century time period more and more.

I encourage all readers and booklovers to come and read about Parnassus on Wheels, the liberation of Miss McGill, the romance of life on the road.
Chari
Oct 26, 2016 Chari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
4,5/5 Me ha encantado! Me gusta mucho la metaliteratura y este clásico norteamericano con las divertidas peripecias de sus entrañables protagonistas lo he disfrutado. Una historia bonita y dulce, de estas que te dejan buen sabor de boca, la segunda que leo del autor y que he devorado del tirón.
Maria  (Mhemnoch)
Le doy la puntuación estándar. Hay lecturas mucho mejores, pero cumple su cometido de entretener. Además como es cortito....
Lectura rápida, corta, fácil y tierna. Sin florituras en el lenguaje ni mensajes filosóficos intensos.
Con pequeños toques revolucionarios para una mujer de la época.
Su personajes predican con su amor por los libros y te anima a leer más.
Los personajes inspiran mucha ternura por su inocencia y por su espíritu aventurero.
En el blog en el que colaboro hemos hecho una lectura
Kath
Jul 09, 2016 Kath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro me sorprendio bastante, no me esperaba lo que encontre.

(view spoiler)

Me encanto el personaje de Roger, una persona que ama los libros y anda por ahi educando a la gente sobre ellos ya no tiene que hacer nada mas para agradarme jajaja.

Me gusto que Helen sea decidida y valiente, pero me enojaba que ella recalcara tanto lo de que era vieja y gorda, me enojo eso.

En general, el libr
Nancy
I might have enjoyed this more had I read rather than listened to it. Much as I love Nadia May, and she does a credible Yankee accent, narration weighed heavily on the book's rather evanescent charms. Just the same, I'll get to the sequel eventually, even though I see it's not nearly so well-liked.
Connie
This heartwarming little book about an itinerant bookseller is sure to put a smile on your face. Delightful!
Cassandra
Apr 14, 2017 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helen McGill, liebt das Farmleben. Ihr Bruder, mit dem sie den Hof, bewirtschaftet schreibt Erfolgsromane und ist leicht von der Arbeit im Stall und auf den Feldern abzulenken. Ihr wird eiskalt ums Herz, als plötzlich Roger Mifflin mit seiner fahrenden Buchhandlung auftaucht und das Gefährt samt Hund und Pferd an ihren Bruder verkaufen will. Kurzentschlossen, kauft sie den Wagen und begibt sich in das Abenteuer ihres Lebens.
Ich habe das Buch sehr gerne gelesen. Der Charakter der Helen ist mir sc
Carolyn
May 10, 2014 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was amazed to learn that this delightful novella was written as long ago as 1917. The heroine and narrator, Helen McGill, could be any thoroughly modern woman who becomes fed up keeping house for her brother and takes off on adventures of her own. Helen was 'rescued' by her brother Andrew from a life as a governess to settle down with him on his farm. She is a placid soul who happily washes, tends the chickens, cleans and cooks for 15 years (she calculates that she has baked 6000 loaves of bre ...more
Bev
Sep 05, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Actually finished this one late last night, so it counts for the last of my Classic Bribe Challenge Reads. Parnassus on Wheels (1917) is the first novel by Christopher Morley. It tells the story of Helen McGill who is getting tired of taking care of her older brother Andrew who has recently become a famous "homespun" author and who is spending less and less time doing the farm chores that are supposed to be his end of the bargain. One day Roger Mifflin, owner of the Parnassus on Wheels traveling ...more
Iblena
Mar 23, 2014 Iblena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Helen McGill lleva una existencia monótona dedicada al cuidado de su hermano Andrew y a los quehaceres de su granja hasta que se convierte en la propietaria de una librería ambulante, junto con el Profesor Roger Mifflin, antiguo dueño del negocio emprende una peculiar travesía por los senderos rurales del medio oeste norteamericano que se convertirá en una aventura inolvidable para ambos.. Divertida, entretenida, reflexiva y deliciosa historia que habla del poder de los libros y su influencia en ...more
Dahiana
Jul 14, 2016 Dahiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-otro-bc
3.5

Esta historia me gustó mucho. Me pareció más bien cute. El profesor Mifflin, no era un simple vendedor de libros, le apasionaba la lectura y todo lo relacionado a eso, más que vender le interesaba que la gente conociera los libros, porque el que no lee se pierde de muchas cosas y de vivir muchas vidas. Solo ésto se lleva la mayor parte de la puntuación.

Helen Mcgill me pareció un personaje interesante. Una Bridget Jones en una granja. Lo de su quejadera de la gordura lo encontré repetitivo. An
SpookySoto
Jun 02, 2015 SpookySoto rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clasico
Una historia linda, ligera con toques de humor. Lo que más me gustó fue la personalidad de Helen, ese sí es un personaje femenino fuerte sin ser malcriada, maleducada o temeraria. Helen es femenina, audaz, inteligente, espontánea, valiente y decidida.
(view spoiler)
En todo el transcurso de la historia nos mencionan libros y autores célebres. Es un libro bien pintoresco y admiro mucho que el sr. Morley haya escrit
Yani
Jul 05, 2016 Yani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
LOL.... Lo último que yo esperaba encontrar en un libro llamado " la librería Ambulante " era un (view spoiler).
El cuento es corto y entretiene por la jocosidad de los personajes, sobre todo Helen, la mujer tiene unos cuantos fusibles quemados.

Yendo a la parte sería de la historia, mi mente siempre estuvo en la Yegua,
Carina Rosas
3, sweetest instaLove ever ♥ XD

description

Jaja me rei varies veces en voz alta, se me hizo bastante tierna la historia, ademas de que cita muchos versos padrisimos. Lo lei rapidísimo, y sinceramente no me aburrí nunca. Vale la pena leerlo. Totalmente.

Really easy reading, fun and smart. It was great to read, very easy and short. I enjoy it very much. It worth your time.
Jana
Jun 20, 2014 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful in every way. It's a love story. With books.

A traveling "Parnassus" (wagon) full of books. What fun! Written in 1917. I love that they're "old" at 39 & 41.

And I'm going to guess that I can use this as my BOTNS Bingo square for "By A Small Press": Melville House. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Spring Valley Pub...: Ex Libris 1/17 : Parnassus on Wheels 1 3 Dec 26, 2016 10:59AM
Amor y letras : La librería ambulante 20 25 Jul 31, 2016 07:24PM
  • The Duel
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century
  • Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books
  • The Country of the Pointed Firs
  • May Day
  • The Salon.com Reader's Guide to Contemporary Authors
  • The Beach of Falesá
Christopher Morley was born in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania while his father was a mathematics professor at Haverford College. Morley graduated from this same school in 1910 as valedictorian. He then went to New College, Oxford University for three years on a Rhodes Scholarship, studying modern history. Arriving home, he headed out to Garden City to begin his life of letters at Doubleday, where he work ...more
More about Christopher Morley...

“The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets.” 38 likes
“When you sell a man a book you don’t sell him just twelve ounces of paper and ink and glue - you sell him a whole new life. Love and friendship and humour and ships at sea by night - there’s all heaven and earth in a book, a real book I mean.” 30 likes