Junie B., First Grader: Shipwrecked (Junie B. Jones, #23)

Junie B., First Grader: Shipwrecked (Junie B. Jones #23)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,725 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Meet the World's Funniest First Grader—Junie B. Jones!

Ship Ahoy! With over 50 million books in print, Barbara Park's New York Times bestselling chapter book series, Junie B. Jones, is a classroom favorite and has been keeping kids laughing—and reading—for over 20 years! In the 23rd Junie B. Jones book, Room One is putting on a play. And guess what? It's about explorers loo...more
Published May 24th 2005 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published May 25th 2004)

Philip
Another Eleanor Review:

Me: Ok, Eleanor, when you review a book, you should start out by telling what the book is about... So what was the book Junie B. First Grader:Shipwrecked about?

Eleanor: Um. It was about the SPLATO! It was about when Roger threw up on the floor! That's what it was about. So you should give it that one, ok dad?

Me: What do you mean I should, "give it that one?"

E: Well, in chapter one it happened, so you should put it in the review.

Me: Ok, it's there. What else was the book ab...more
Samuel
I read the book "Junie B., First Grader: Shipwrecked," by Barbara Park and I thought this was a very entertaining book. I enjoyed reading this book because of the humor found as well as the characters and plot go well togther. This is a great book for anyone looking for a laugh.

The plot starts out in Junie's school, where a lot of her classmates have come down with illnesses, and Roger, one of her classmates, throws up in class. Then the janitor comes in and cleans up the vomit, and everyone plu...more
Kristin
Disclaimer: I was stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours leaving a NASCAR race without a book, thus the reason a 28 year-old is reading elementary school chapter books.

Junie didn't annoy me as much in this book as she did in the first JBJ book I read this afternoon, perhaps a sign of maturity in going from kindergarten to 1st grade, but I still found her to be a bit of a brat. In 'Shipwrecked', her class is putting on a play about Columbus, even though Junie would rather do one about mice like the only...more
Maxzine Rossler
If you are looking for a good classroom laugh Junie B. Jones Shipwrecked is a good book to go with. In Junie B. Jones Shipwrecked, Room one is putting on a play that is about explorers looking for the New World. As we all know Junie B. Jones is getting excited for the play, and choosing her part. Since she did well on her homework she gets to choose her role, but then she realized that maybe she chose it for the wrong reasons. As time goes on the students keep getting sick which could cause the...more
Nancy Kotkin
Shipwrecked
by Barbara Park

This is an awful book! The children are inconsiderate and rude to one another. The main character, Junie B. Jones, is the worst of the lot. What is supposed to be humor is actually taunting and laughing at the expense of others.

Even the black-and-white pictures are goofy looking.
Bonnie
The Junie B. Jones are adored by girls and boys alike. At the beginning of the series, Junie B. is only in kindergarten, but the books are written on a first- to second-grade level. Usually kids prefer to read about kids older than themselves, but this rule does not hold true for this series. Kids as old as third and fourth grade really enjoy them. As I read Junie B. books to my girls, even my husband laughs out loud.

I have heard some parents express the concern that Junie B. is often naughty a...more
Cari Williams
Junie B., Fist Grader: Shipwrecked is about a play Junie B. and her classmates of room nine will be performing a program about Columbus day. Junie B. wanted to be the star of the play and have the role of Christopher Columbus but ends up being a ship in the background. Of course Junie B. was very unhappy about this. The day that the play comes around a lot of her classmates that play a main role in the play get sick. When Junie B. encourages them to go on stage anyway, the play becomes a disaste...more
Miri
Junie B is in first grade and parents night is coming up, her class is going to do a play about Christopher Columbus, even though half the class has been out sick with a stomach virus and everyone is scared about the germs. Whoever brings the most facts about Columbus to school gets to choose their part in the play first and Junie B is determined to have the most so she can be the star!
Rachel
As a parent, I don't especially like Junie B. Jones. She's obnoxious, has poor grammar, and uses words like stupid - a bad word in our house. These are all the same reasons my first grader loves her! He's a bit of a reluctant reader so if Junie B. gets him excited about reading, then I'm willing to tolerate her.

Shipwrecked sneaks in quite a few facts about Christopher Columbus and his voyage to America. Children won't have any idea that they are actually learning because the story is entertainin...more
Juliette
It all started when Jose and Junie B. got to pick their parts in the Parents' Night Christopher Columbus play. May bumped into Junie B.'s ship. I really, really, really liked the book because it was silly.
Vivian
Dear Readers,
This books was fantastc!Room 1 was having a play!!!!!!!Junie B. wants to be the star off the play but her rival got it. and there are lots of conflict was happening in this play so the play didn't went well.at the end of the playthere was a surprise that solve the main prpblem.

My character Junie B. has certain traits to describe her.
Funny:The teachers said not to put your hands on your face but May was doing that so Junie B. said "That means you, nose squeeser," and evrey one laugh...more
Dolly
Jul 12, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This was a fun and educational entry in the Junie B. Jones series. Her class is putting together a play about Christopher Columbus for the Parents' Open House, so there's lots of facts to learn about that part of our history. And there's also a virus being spread throughout school, so there was some emphasis about hygiene and how you catch colds. Overall, it was a good book to read aloud, although I think our girls are starting to lose interest in this series. They still like the stories, but th...more
Holly Letson
Junie B.'s class is putting on a Columbus Day play for Parents' Night. But, Junie and May cannot put aside their differences, and end up crashing into each other, causing Columbus to have to "swim" all the way to "America". Hilarity ensues.
Kathy
Read together with Jacqueline for her school reading log.
Kaylee
I liked this so much I read it twice!
Jennifer Entwistle
These books are really great to read to kids because they stay at a relatable level. Not really about what I thought it would be by the cover, but then, I didn't read the jacket. Good to read around Columbus Day.
Mr. Craig
An enjoyable read which I believe would appeal to ky reluctant readers!
Erica
Junie B. in first grade. I must say that I don't really like Junie B. I find her to be annoying, but I can see the appeal to young elementary students. In this story, one of her classmates vomits in the classroom igniting a class of germophobes. The other storyline in the book is about the class creating and doing play about Christopher Columbus. I would rec to K-3rd graders who already like Junie B. or want a good laugh.
Autumn Bruere
This book is hilarious. The slap stick comedy portrayed in the book kept my daughter engaged and entertained!
Tamra
I think I'm going to read all the Junie B. Jones books. Cause I love Junie B.

Miciah, my 7-year-old, read it a few days before I did and she read aloud to me the part where these 3 kids name off their sailor names and the names are Sinbad, Popeye, and Captain Hook. She thought those names were hilarious.

These are fantastic books. Even if you don't have a 1st grader, I think you'd like them.
Ethan
Aliza
My daughter brought this home for her class daily reading homework. We read one page and that was it. She didn't like the book talking about throwing up, and then in the next sentance the title character was saying rude things about other people. She put it down and said that she wouldn't read it because it wasn't a nice book.
Lauren B
its about junie b wanting to be in a play. and her not so good friend wanting to be in it to. but at the end they both get to be on the play. I learned that when you want to do something that someone else also wants to do.... don't fight over it just work it out. in the end every thing will work its self out!
Anne Louise
It's funny because May thinks it's all about her because Columbus sailed on her ship. And Lucille thinks she really wants to be the queen, but then Mr. Scary, their teacher, showed her a picture of the queen and she says, "Oh my! She doesn't even look pretty!" And, I think it's one of the best books I've ever read.
Mathew White
Read it in 25 minutes.
1. Girl 2. First day 3. 1st grade 4. nervous 5. classmates 6. nice 7. happy

1. Junie has to keep diary for her teacher. What would you write in your diary about this summer? My anw

Junie B. is only in first grade, so she makes lots of grammar mistakes. If you read this, don't copy her!
Amy Murray
Junie B. is far less obnoxious as a first grader than she was as a kindergartner! I feel like I had to use my 'yelling voice' far less in this story than I did in all the stories from Junie B's kindergarten adventures. Will try to steer my daughter to the 'First Grader' books at the library from now on!
Jamie Leeper
These Junie B Books are a hoot, I tell you! She is the funniest girl I know, probably! When I read them, my face looks happy. So good for me. Cause these books are great! And I think everyone should run speedy quick to the library and get one to read!
Isabella Kuo
This book is about how Junie B Jones acts in a class play with her arch enemy, May. How Barbara Park describes this is really good and it makes the reader feel so excited and wonder what happens next. I recommend this book to everyone, old or young.
Mary
Junie B. with the help of her mother finds 18 facts about Christopher Columbus and she allowed to choose the part she wants in her class play. But she and May cannot put their animosity aside so they both ruin the play for their classmates.
Cindy
Junie B. Jones is one of my favorite series'. She made me laugh with very little effort.
I owned so many Junie B. Jones books, if only I could remember where I put them...

I read this as a teenager and still found it entertaining.
  • Judy Moody Gets Famous! (Judy Moody, #2)
  • Amber Brown Goes Fourth
  • Season of the Sandstorms (Magic Tree House, #34)
  • Holly the Christmas Fairy
  • Stanley, Flat Again! (Flat Stanley, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy and Bean, #4)
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for...more
More about Barbara Park...
Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1) Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2) Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3) Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones, #14) Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5)

“A little glitter can turn your whole day around.” 95 likes