Start by marking “The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe” as Want to Read:
The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe

The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  636 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
With explosive new revelations concerning the "National Security Matter" that led to the cover-up of her murder, The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe is a page-turning account of one of the most shocking crimes of the century. Donald H. Wolfe meticulously chronicles her final days, names the killer, documents the mode of death, and identifies those who orchestrated the cover-up ...more
Published October 21st 1998 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe

Ilze
May 10, 2008 Ilze rated it really liked it
If ever there has been a death in history about which more questions have been asked than answered, it must be that of Marilyn Monroe. Donald H. Wolfe has written another book since this 1998 edition called The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe (1999) , so there is no question where his sentiments lie. The evidence he brings to the fore in the 450 pages of The Last Days, is mind-boggling. Clearly actors or actresses that have made their way to the top go and see a psychiatrist at some point or an ...more
Sara
Aug 26, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
Wow. Fascinating book. After reading this I truly believe she was murdered, and I think the murderers were correctly named. So sad that she was just breaking out of her shell and becoming independent when she was silenced.
Greg Z
Jul 05, 2015 Greg Z rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Part One of this book is entitled "Decades of Deception" and to me this would serve as a perfectly fine title for the book in its entirety. Much speculation, and a good read, but nothing definite or particularly revealing.
Zoe
Apr 04, 2014 Zoe rated it liked it
Recommended to Zoe by: Library Kindle Book
I thought that the book was very interesting. I didn't gain any insight into Miss Monroe, her comings and goings other than she seemed to be (at least by the representation of the author) to be very sad but trying to overcome what got her to that point. I have always been interested in Marilyn Monroe but more because of the fact that behind the studio publicity of her lovely face and body there was a brain there and she was really truly intellectual. I was hoping to gain more insight into that b ...more
Carol Lynn Scherling
Dec 08, 2011 Carol Lynn Scherling rated it it was amazing
From the first page to the very last, Donald H.Wolfe entertains the reader with a thoroughly researched book that intertwines Hollywood, politics and national security into one. In the middle of all this is a beautiful, but too trusting woman who today still is an Hollywood icon, long after her mysterious death. You might not agreed with his final conclusion, but of all the thoeries on Marilyn Monroe's death I have heard over the years,it's the one that fits the puzzle the best. Although I have ...more
Carolyn
Oct 13, 2012 Carolyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: true crime buffs, Kennedy buffs
Feeding my fascination with JFK and RFK and all the mysterious deaths associated with them. I think Marilyn was very likely murdered on Kennedy orders because she threatened to spill the beans about her affairs with the brothers. The book is mistitled, though - it's not just the last days, but a full bio of Marilyn that covers her whole childhood and career.
Shannon Shenaniganz
Aug 07, 2012 Shannon Shenaniganz rated it it was amazing
This was a very good read. It reinforced my belief that Marilyn was murdered. Very well researched information, given in this book. It's sad, disheartening.....but it's about time that truth gets out. Although, she will never have justice, as her killer/killers are long gone, at least the truth will be heard. RIP Marilyn
George Presley
Jul 13, 2013 George Presley rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Perhaps "enjoyed" is the wrong word. It was a heartbreaker. It took me forever to read through it because I wanted to fully understand what made Marilyn "tick". This beautiful woman with the fragile smile conveyed all her vulnerability in it. I think this was much of her appeal. It made men want to come to her rescue and protect her. Fantasize that they could be the one, her "Knight in shining armour". To be the one to show her the love that would secure her. Perh ...more
Adelle
A page turner.

I spent the weekend compulsively reading it.

The reporting actually seemed well-documented to me...through interviews with people who were there or the phone records...official government documnts-- even though parts are redacted.

(1)The long gap of time between MM's time of death and the time when the police were called and (2) the information concerning the autopsy and the subsequent coverups or deflections from further investigation scream out: This was not a self-administered ove
Caroline
Oct 26, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it
Despite the fact-filled nature of this book, Wolfe managed to keep the book moving with a novel-like writing style. I began it quite skeptical, but in the end couldn't help being convinced of the conspiracy against poor Norma Jean--a victim her entire life, unable to escape her own naivete and the abuse of it by those she trusted.
Karabina
Jul 29, 2009 Karabina rated it it was amazing
Great book for any Marilyn Monroe fan! It starts out with the night in question and dives right into all of the conspiracy theories (hint..JFK).
Janne Varvára
Hm. This was a strange book. It's a most intriguing and engaging account of Marilyn Monroe's life, mostly centered on her last days.

However... Some warning bells go off in my head. So much is written on the life and death of Marilyn, and so much of it is either incorrect, bad research or plain imagination, a fact that she herself contributed to, by lying about or exaggerating events in her life.

This book mostly deals with the conspiracy theory of assassination by the government following the sup
Richard Jespers
Dec 16, 2014 Richard Jespers rated it really liked it
The book seems to be well researched and objective. Wolfe all but says RFK was responsible for MM’s death. Very compelling argument. And it is now obvious why.

[Sad but it is in some ways fair to say that the K brothers got what was coming to them (Karma-wise), not just for MM’s death but for an entire panoply of arrogant misdeeds (and yet as a Democrat I’ve loved them and always will). Ultimately, there is no reason for any of these parties to have died anything but a natural death.]
Aileen
Jan 10, 2013 Aileen rated it it was amazing
Wow! Extremely detailed fascinating account of the life and suspicions surrounding the death of MM. Her childhood was heartbreaking, given away by her mother she spent her early years being passed around relatives, friends and orphanages, she never really knew any love or stability. The account of her life was a real fairytale rags-to-riches journey, little Norma Jeane (the true spelling) desperately wanting to find happiness and creating the MM persona that was switched on every morning. But sh ...more
Valerie
Jun 17, 2014 Valerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
Maybe this should have been called Rambling Related to Marilyn Monroe. Very little of the book actually discusses Marilyn's last days.

The first part of the book keeps repeating vague insinuations based on the author's speculation. It was tedious to get through this part.

Then the author flashes back and starts the beginning of Marilyn's life, and JFK's, and her psychiastrist, and some other random people.

When the author finally did arrive at Marilyn's last days and his conclusion on who killed h
Rachael Ullinskey
Dec 27, 2014 Rachael Ullinskey rated it it was amazing
The information revealed in this book is mind-blowing and it is all supported by hard evidence. The depths that people went to cover up the truth behind her death is astounding. This is a page turner.
Lilly de Vries
Jun 12, 2015 Lilly de Vries rated it really liked it
Even at the risk of sounding like on of those people who where an aluminum hat, I'll say that I've always had my doubts about Marilyn Monroe's "suicide". It wasn't until I read this book, that I actually had something solid to use in my anti-suicide argument.
I enjoyed reading this book, but it left me wanting more. Perhaps because the suicide-story has been around so long. I think I have unanswered questions... mainly why was it so easy for everyone to cover up?
On more than one occasion, I had
Amie
Jan 15, 2008 Amie rated it liked it
Interesting...some pretty compelling evidence mixed with some very dubious theories based on single person accounts of what happened the day Marilyn died. Wolfe's writing style vascillates between half decent and pretty friggin' awful, so, there's that to contend with.

Whether you believe with his ultimate theory or not, there's definitely enough intrigue here to hold your interest. No matter what happened to Marilyn Monroe, it's a tragedy that someone so loved and adored by the public was prett
Stephanie Borders
May 01, 2015 Stephanie Borders rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies, 2015
This started off at an amazing pace, opening with Marilyn's death. The author then wound back and started from her birth, laying the groundwork for Marilyn's ultimate demise. I personally found her life pretty boring, and this is where the author lost me a little bit. Marilyn took a lot of pills and had a lot of sex. It just got old. Her marriages were alarming and heartbreaking. I did really enjoy the portions where she was on set though and the book started picking back up for me when she was ...more
Nicole Javvaji
Jan 23, 2012 Nicole Javvaji rated it really liked it
This is a must-read for a Marilyn fan. She was just becoming the person she wanted to be, finding her voice in the world, breaking out of the sex symbol role. Her life ended too soon and this book provides tons of evidence to support the theory that she did not commit suicide. I am definitely looking at the government and specifically the Kennedy family in a new light now, as well as Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack. Its disturbing to know what men in power are capable of, and get away with.
Julie
Sep 08, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating book even if the murder theory is not correct. I like how Wolfe took information from previous researchers and biographers to create a solid account of her life and death. I found the description of her death and its aftermath to be more interesting than the biographical section.

I'd rank this with the top few books on Marilyn Monroe, like Anthony Summers' "Goddess," Donald Spoto's "Marilyn Monroe: A Biography," and Fred Guiles' book.
Cheryl
Mar 23, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Very well researched, this is a detailed account of the life and death of Marilyn Monroe. The lurid looking book jacket belittles the quality of this book. The author has done his homework and reveals a portrait of a woman who was talented, bright, and a victim of her times. It reads like a novel, but you come away with a pretty good idea of what really happened to this bright and intelligent woman.
Carol
Oct 02, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
This is an extremely comprehensive study of the lies surrounding MM's life and death. What a sad story of an insecure, rejected girl who had a great talent for mesmerizing her audience. One again, it confirms for me that money talks, and we should not believe everything we are fed by the press. I found it very interesting and engrossing.
Jay
Aug 15, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it
Amzing! Was so shocked by what I read, and yet the book is so well researched that there really isn't any way to argue with it. The hardest part to keep track of is the inter-relationships the people around her had but by the end of the book, it all made sense. I would definitely recommend this book!
Shannon
Jan 07, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: bios-and-memoirs
The first half was great. Thoroughly investigated, well written, and well supported. But it fizzles as he moves more into the biographical section. He casts tremendous doubt on the suicide theory but never fully supports the motivation for murder. Overall though, very good, very interesting.
Krista Buccellato
Nov 01, 2012 Krista Buccellato rated it it was amazing
I had no idea the extent of the controversy surrounding Marilyn Monroe's death. Nor did I know just what a special and talented soul she was. This book was simultaneously enlightening and deeply moving. Beautifully written. A must read that definitely sparked my interest in more biographies.
Helen
Apr 01, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked all the detail that I was able to learn. The books goes into the detail about Hollywood in the 1930's and later. I also like how the author is able to carry the reader to understand Marilyn and her struggles though out her life. I enjoyed reading it very much so.
Paula
Aug 03, 2008 Paula rated it really liked it
This book is really 2 books in 1: a crime investigation, and a biography. Both are done equally well. Wolfe, who is a screenwriter, writes this book like a novel, and the reader just rips along from chapter to chapter. A fascinating woman, a great biography.
Marci -  Serendipitous Readings
with the amount of research this author has done, it is really quite clear that Marilyn was murdered by the Kennedys. if you want to read an account that has been detailed to the last bit, then this book is your best bet to date.
Valerie's Mega Aw...: The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe - June 2014 10 9 Jun 26, 2014 07:04AM
List of players.... 1 3 Jan 11, 2013 10:02PM