Start by marking “The Return Of Jonah Gray” as Want to Read:
The Return Of Jonah Gray

The Return Of Jonah Gray

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Despite being attractive, intelligent and friendly, Sasha Gardner knows no man wants a phone call from her. Because Sasha is a tax auditor for the IRS. Every job has its downside. Auditing may interfere with her social life, but it's orderly. It makes sense. And she's very, very good at it. But when unexpected complaints draw her into the tax return of a man she's never me ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Mira (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Return Of Jonah Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return Of Jonah Gray

Chy
This is difficult to rate.

I bought the book because I love the name Jonah. Yes, that was the sole basis for my purchase---that and the fact that it was on sale.

I almost put it down after the first few pages. I appreciated the characterization Cochran was going for in Sasha, but it was forced and that made it painful to read. But I kept going because I liked the idea, and I figured I'd give it a chance to settle down, to see if it became more natural---and it did.

Since Sasha is our narrator, it f
Linda
THE RETURN OF JONAH GRAY is a gentle love story, a visit with a dysfunctional family and seeing how much a career affects your personality all rolled into one. A play on words, Jonah is the recipient of an audit by Sasha Gardner. Jonah left his high profile job in Virginia as a journalist to work for a small-town paper in California. Add to this mystery he now blogs on the internet about gardening. Loved by all his followers, there has to be something wrong with him, right?

Sasha has a career wor
Christi
I really wanted to like this book. I enjoyed Cochran's first novel, Mean Season, very much. But this book was lacking the charm and character development that was found Mean Season, which was very disheartening.

The Return of Jonah Gray claims to be about a woman, Sasha, who works for the IRS, falling for a man, Jonah Gray, that she is auditing--falling for him on paper, that is. However, this story seems to take a back seat to the main focus of the story, which is Sasha's family: most notably, h
Damecatoe
I like the wordplay of the Return of Jonah Gray being his tax return. The book is supposedly a tale of "love at first audit." But really, much more of the book is devoted to the main character's family.

Tell me I'm going into a book that's a love story and I wait for that to take place. On that level, this book is a letdown.

Go in with no assumptions? I'd have enjoyed it much more.

SPOILER AHEAD

See, I'm the kind of person who feels cheated by movies like "Sleepless in Seattle" or "'Til There Was
Just - The romance reader
I enjoyed the story, but I didn't love it. No threats were made to stop reading before I reached the end, and at no point did I get bored with the story. It clipped along at a nice even pace.

I found the ending to be appropriate, and cute even, yet at the same time a little abrupt. I would have liked the last scene to have carried on a little longer, but on the other hand, it was fitting to end as it did.
Emily
Mar 27, 2014 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: would-read-again
I expected this book to be cheesy (hello, read the title) but I was immediately drawn in, at first by the subtitle (yes I actually just admitted that) and then by the book itself. It's a wonderful story of coming to understand who you are and what you want out of life. The characters are all extremely realistic (this was a welcome change because I recently went on a super-cheesy-unrealistic romance binge) and a handful a downright charming. I highly recommend this book to EVERYONE. No exceptions ...more
Rachel Held
The Return of Jonah Gray is one of the worst books that I've read all year. It was not only boring, but I oftentimes found myself falling aslee in the middle of a sentence. Cochran's obsessive talk of people honing in on Sasha Gardner's supposedly strange name was not only irritating, but unrealistic; she would make it seem as though everyone knew that Sasha was commonly a boy's name in Europe, and everyone would think that somebody whose last name is Gardner would be a gardener. Cochran's writi ...more
Dawn Tutt
Talk about a back cover description that does not really tell you what the story is actually about...
The main character is a tax auditor and Jonah Gray is an audit that she finds herself becoming romantically obsessed with even having never met him.

But the real story is about the character herself and her family, a truly complicated bunch. I liked the way the family interactions were written, they were honest, saying the things that a sister would actually say to a brother when he is being an a
Mom2nine
Pleasant, easy to read story, with a bit of humor- who would want to have a relationship with an IRS tax auditor, also about the messiness that is family
Lonnie
The depth of this book surprised me...I found a kindred spirit in Sasha Gardner, who believes that no information is useless--"It just depends what you need it for." (If I knew half the information she spouts off, I'd be the best Reference Librarian in Louisiana!)

This book was a journey of laughter and tears, learning about the amazing complexity of life along the way. There's so much I want to say about this book, but I don't want to ruin it for other readers. Let's just say I'm happy that Sash
C Pistolis
Love, love this book. I read it in two days.
Eleni
This is a fun read about the fine art of cyber-stalking from an author who cleverly balances Chick and Lit. The protagonist is an IRS agent who likes what she sees in a guy's tax returns and becomes mildly obsessed, even using her nephew as a pawn to get near said auditee. I have been audited by the IRS (no change) and it was nowhere near as pleasant. I also liked Cochran's first book, Mean Season, when a friend who knows her brought it to my attention. (See, that was full disclosure, but I woul ...more
Heather
This story was easy enough to digest during a plane trip, though to call it "engrossing" or even "interesting" would be an overstatement.

Following the family dramas and dating disasters of an IRS auditor, "The Return of Jonah Gray" is full of predictable plot points, run-of-the-mill characters and not-so-surprising twists. Serviceable, at best.
Suzanne Graham
I'm a huge fan of romance and the subtitle on this caught my eye - 'an unconventional tale of love at first audit'. Unfortunately, the romance was a minor subplot. I found myself pushing to the end to get through the family drama to find the romance. Not a bad read as long as you're not looking for romance.
Nancy
lightweight family drama/romance. would probably make a decent movie, it's kind of formula like that; good dialog and one liner jokes. fun if you don't think about it too much. it helped that i identified with the over-logical accountant heroine. :) touches a bit on the concept of web community.
Arlene
Light quick summer read with a good number of laughing moments until the book got bogged down in Sasha'a father's illness. A bit far fetched but fun and I even learned something about the IRS. (Did you know that the start of your social security number identifies where you were born?
Jessica
I think I liked the title more than the book itself. It was well-written, and the characters were interesting. It's just that not much happened in an emotionally charged way. Almost all the characters in the book are reticent, and that doesn't make for compelling reading.
Amy
This novel was ok but not great. The story was fun but the writing was clunky. I noticed several times when the writer had made mistakes in writing the plot. Some things just didn't make sense.

This book would be good for anyone who has dated a mailman or been audited.
Lea
This book was really fun. I enjoyed and actually thought a lot about it during tax season and wished I'd hung on to it to reread it during that time. Plus who can't relate to a job that sucks or at you're not right for?!
Tracie
I thought the tax return angle was new and different. The story however was painfully boring. This was my first book by this author, and I am not anxious to read another one by her.
Crystal-Rain Love
This is the second book I've read by this author and she has a fan in me. For the second time, I find myself sad to have finished a book by her, sad to leave the world she created...

Brandi Barnes
Good easy read. I was wanting something light. I enjoyed the family dynamics in this book. Goes along with my theory that all families are dysfunctional. :-) Good for a beach read.
Kathy
I feel like such a dork reading about the romances of an IRS agent!

This book was really cute, heartwarming and unconventional. I really enjoyed it.
Alex
This was really well written. I enjoyed it because it took some deep issues and managed to put them into a pretty quirky, light-hearted story.
Kristie
This is an example of why you don't read books simply because the title suggests something having to do with the degree you're seeking.
Erin
Great book! Not as slapstick funny as I've been reading lately, but witty and touching. I love that 'Return' meant his tax return!
Melissa
This wasn't the most exciting book I've ever read. But it was a sweet story. I'm glad I stuck with it.
claire
please, someone, stop me from buying crappy chick-lit in airports, it makes me feel dirty.
Erin
Better than average chick lit. And the perfect Tax Season Widow read.
Jamie
Cute, but nothing to write home about.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Getting Warmer
  • Last Summer
  • Five Things I Can't Live Without
  • September Moon
  • Lost Highways (Valentine, #1)
  • Elizabeth in Love (Sweet Valley University, #59)
  • A Basket Of Wishes
  • This Is Chick-lit
  • Windfalls
  • The Big Beautiful
  • Let's Misbehave
  • The Romance Readers' Book Club
  • Catch of the Day (Misty Harbor, #1)
Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels) The Return of Jonah Gray Nashville: City of Note

“Repotting a plant gives it space to grow. Repotting ourselves means taking leave of our everyday environments and walking into unfamiliar territory—of the heart, of the mind and of the spirit. It isn’t easy. The older we get, the more likely we are to have remained in the same place for some time. We stay because it’s secure. We know the boundaries and, inside of them, we feel safe. Our roots cling to the walls we have long known. But remaining inside can keep us from thriving. Indeed, without new experiences or ideas, we slowly grow more and more tightly bound, eventually turning into less vibrant versions of who we might have been.
Repotting means accepting that the way is forward, not back. It means realizing that we won’t again fit into our old shells. But that’s not failure. That’s living.”
15 likes
“i know they say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. but sometimes, absence can also reveal the waning of once fond feelings. time passes and it's a surprise to realize that you haven't missed him, or her, or the place or the job that once felt like a match. ” 3 likes