Start by marking “Visser (Animorphs Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Visser (Animorphs Chronicles, #3)

Visser (Animorphs #35.5)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,919 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
In an hour or so, once I was out of sight of land, I would lower my sails and wait for a Bug fighter to come lift me off the deck. The engine backwash of the Bug fighter would capsize the boat. Or I might put the Taxxon pilot to the test and see if he could ram the low-slung boat. That would puzzle the humans.

Either way, my body would never be found...

My time of lying low
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Scholastic Inc.

Nemo (Young Adult At Heart)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

Visser chronicles the life of Edriss 562 before she becomes Visser One. It focuses on the silent invasion of Earth and is told mostly through speaking narration and a memory dump – which means that most of the novel happened way in the past. The Yeerk Edriss 562 stole a ship and went off on an unauthorised mission to find the only rumoured Class Five species yet discovered; the vulnerable, numerous, clever and dexterous humans of Earth.

Visser is one of my
Adam
Nov 24, 2009 Adam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids, Kids at heart, Young Sci-fi fans
Shelves: animorphs
Like with the Ellimist Chronicles, the cover completely throws me, because the book is about Visser 1, not Visser 3. Visser 1 is not an Andalite...

A dynamic and fast-paced novel about one of the most interesting Villains I've read about.

Edriss-five-six-two is a wonderful addition to Applegate's expansive, rich, and quite believable universe. Her struggles give humanity to the enemy, and though her transformation is not complete, her story, and that of Essam, are indicative of Applegate's foray i
Jen
Jul 29, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it
SOLID.

I really appreciated this being told through the eyes/mind/memory of Visser One so that it has the same feel of the regular Animorphs books but all of the Animorphs themselves are seen from the outside. Especially this far into the series, it was great to have the perspective of pulling back and seeing how much these are not kids anymore as well as how they've become an incredible team with different strengths and understandings of things. I loved trying to see which was which when they we
Stephanie
I know I read this once before, but I didn’t realize how completely I had forgotten what happens in it. There is just so much!

Seeing Vissers One and Three go at each other in this very dangerous situation is also, to put it mildly, thrilling. They turn the tables on each other so many times, and there are so many pitfalls and sudden inspirations, that I couldn’t help but read it slowly and savor the subtleties along the way. Especially when you also consider that Visser One is cherry-picking th
Julie
The cover is so misleading, y'all. This isn't about Visser Three, but about Visser One -- but I guess having the cover showcase a random Latina woman, or a slug, wouldn't be quite so thrilling...

Either way, I love this weird little book. Like, a lot. The narratorial techniques woven into each of the Chronicles are so interesting: in Andalite, it's Elfangor's last memory-dump before death. In Hork-Bajir, it's a generational memory passed on as oral history through Dak's descendants and Toby.

Now,
Leon RE
Apr 25, 2013 Leon RE rated it it was amazing
One of the best books of the Animorphs series. I really like how Applegate gives multiple aspects to every character - even the villains. You really see things from the Yeerks' point of view and can almost understand their feelings and thought processes. The Yeerks can seem almost human, while they see humans as aliens that bewilder and mystify them.

I also like how the two different villains with very different characters and strategies are presented, and it was interesting to see them facing of
ExterminationXIII
Dec 20, 2007 ExterminationXIII rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Animorphs: Visser by K.A. Applegate is about a trial of a Yeerk named Edriss five-six-two, or Visser one. In it, she has been charged with 5 charges of treason, and has to win the trial or be executed. The visser ends up having to call for help from the Yeerk's enemies, the Animorphs!

The author's purpose was to show that the bad-guys in the story are also facing hard times. I gave this book a 4 out of 5 because it's a good story, but it can get kind of boring at times. Like during the scenes whe
Alan Gilfoy
Apr 05, 2015 Alan Gilfoy rated it it was amazing
I loved the inside look at the Yeerks. Still do on my reread. I gladly got caught up in the story. I liked the retrospective information by itself, and the current action kept that from feeling like a history book.

Edriss 562 and Marco are both ruthless. I wonder how much Eva is.

Aliens being confused by human society is funny here too.

Visser Three's personality flaws are on full display. Edriss POV would emphasize that, and it seems the Visser conflict brings out more of his bad side. All stick a
Julie Decker
Aug 06, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was amazing
Visser One is brought to trial because Visser Three has accused her of treason. She is questioned, subjected to memory dumps, and asked to justify her actions when she committed various crimes in the name of taking Earth for the Yeerks. But Visser Three's behavior is also called into question during the trial as the Council of Thirteen cross-examine them. Visser One tells a story of her discovery of Earth, her first few hosts, and her relationship with a Yeerk who occupied another human host. To ...more
Apr 24, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: nostalgia
I read this before as an avid fan back in jr. high or high school when the Animorphs series was still running. After completing college, I thought it'd be nice to sort of return to my roots and reread the series that meant so much to me as a kid. Even years later, the book still resonates, if not more now that I can understand some of the nuances of the concept of forbidden love and friendships. K.A. Applegate is a masterful writer.
Z
Jan 30, 2009 Z rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, library
Probably the best of all the Animorphs books. I didn't read it when I was initially following the series, which I think caused it to pack even more of a punch. With some life experience to go along with it, the issues the book rises are mind-blowing.
Brian Guerrero
Apr 04, 2012 Brian Guerrero rated it liked it
I think this book was good but it was creepy. It kept you interested and not wanting to stopr reading it. At the end of the book i already knew what was going to happend. It was a simple but very intersting book.
Andrew
Jan 25, 2009 Andrew rated it it was amazing
One of the best of the series. It is here that we really get to know Visser One. It is here we realize that those who are considered evil are not very unlike ourselves.
Janelle Dazzlepants
Tommy Grooms
Jul 15, 2016 Tommy Grooms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visser is one of the best in the series, told entirely from the perspective of the Yeerk known as Visser One. During a trial for multiple counts of treason against the Yeerk Empire (with Visser Three as prosecutor), Visser One recounts the Yeerk discovery of Earth and her rogue mission to confirm humans as a "Class Five" species. We are shown the origin of the Sharing and the hidden motive behind the slow and secret infiltration of Earth. Along the visser's disturbing journey, Applegate draws ou ...more
Almira
Sep 13, 2015 Almira rated it it was amazing
First it was funny.

The way Visser One, Edriss, explained her observations about the human mind and humanity itself was hilarious. I laughed at how she said that Jenny Lines, "who claims to be an actress but had not done any acting", lacks organization in her brain. I laughed at how she almost believed that humans were able to produce something that is twice as fast as the speed of light. And then when she realized it was "fictional" she tried to wonder why humans would do it and concluded that m
Lisa
Since third grade, I have been an avid follower of the Animorphs series. Visser was the only book I was never able to find, and now that I've read it, I feel like I have some closure on my childhood. Now, summary!

Visser One, the highest ranking Yeerk below the Council of 13, is on trial for treason about ten times over. Her accuser is Visser Three, the only Controller of an Andalite host. Visser One's host is the mother of Marco, one of the so-called "Andalite Bandits" who plague Visser Three's
Swankivy
Aug 06, 2014 Swankivy rated it it was amazing
An astonishing peek in to the mind of the head of the bad guys. Wow.

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

The Yeerk Empire identifies five "classes" of alien. Those are the following: Class One are unfit, physically, for infestation; Class Two are infestable but have physical issues that are difficult for the Yeerk to manage; Class Three are infestable but exist only in small quantities; Class Four are perfect for infestation but cannot be challenged because of military excellence; and Class Five
alternBRUNO°°
Dec 29, 2014 alternBRUNO°° rated it really liked it
Although this book gives the impression (by its cover) to be about Visser Three and ends up being narrated from the perspective of Visser One it's a dutiful nice piece of work both as a chronicle and as to follow the main plot. We follow the early years of Visser One since its arrival to Earth until he becomes the Yeerk in Marco's mom. I feel impressed by the subtleties and nuances to make everything fit into the general story.
Alex
Man oh man, this was definitely the absolute best Animorphs book I have read so far. I never read this one as a kid, which might actually be a blessing since I don't think it would have affected me then the way it did now. It was just SO GOOD. I have no words.

By the way, the cover is very misleading. This book is about Visser One, not Visser Three, and she is not an Andalite.
Mariam
This was a strong one. I'm always fascinated by the stories where we look at the humans from alien's point of view. And Visser one is an interesting character. More nuances of her character are shown here. (Why is Visser three on the cover?) I loved the moment when Edriss first explored the human brain.
It was interesting that both Vissers one and three were fascinated by the species they infested. I wonder if Visser three got in some way "corrupted" by Alloran, like Visser one was by Allison (wh
Timothy Boyd
Jan 24, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing
Fantastic SiFi series for a young reader. I enjoyed reading these with my daughter. The storyline is good and the plot interesting, wouldn't take much to make these great adult SiFi stories. Highly recommended
Abdul Siddiqui
Jul 28, 2015 Abdul Siddiqui rated it really liked it
An engrossing origin story about a character not seen nearly enough in the series. Lacks some of the evocative qualities of the established protagonists.
Whitney
This one was a nice change from the regular series. We got an inside look at some of how the Yeerk empire works and got to get inside the mind of Visser One. Definitely a nice compliment to the rest of the series.
Lo
Jun 10, 2015 Lo rated it really liked it
this was the worst yet. (as you might have guessed...... marco ;___;)
Jessica Lauren
Dec 13, 2015 Jessica Lauren rated it it was amazing
Woah
Pomaflah
Mar 14, 2013 Pomaflah rated it it was amazing
Visser is everything The Host wasn't. It's touching and sweet mainly because the reader already knows the characters and it genuinely brings something new to them. So many sequences in The Host are ripped off from here, and I love this book because it's about motherhood and love, rather than romance and pacifism.
Kiana
Jun 27, 2015 Kiana rated it really liked it
Here's a lesser known fact about me: I love origin stories.

My favorite characters, I love reading about how they came to be what they were. I love reading prequels that tell the story of what was before the original, how the Earth became the way it was (because everyone loves fucking with the Earth). I love the why.

It was probably mainly due to this book that I love origin stories so much.

Katie K
Jan 24, 2016 Katie K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He's the source of incredible destruction and evil throughout the galaxy. She's the leader of the Yeerk invasion of Earth...and Marco's Mother. This is their story. For anyone who has read the series cannot miss this book. It explains so much af the side of the sotry we never get to see. Where did it all begin and with who? All these questions and more are answered here.
Karthik Thrikkadeeri
Mar 18, 2014 Karthik Thrikkadeeri rated it really liked it
It was really good. I first thought it would be solely about Visser Three. But this has been quite a good book. I really enjoyed reading it, especially the 3rd and 4th quarters. I have to say, though, I really really disliked the Council's verdict.

I believe I'll see more of this in the next book. Anyway, we'll see what happens to Visser One.
  • Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunnally, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunnally, #1)
  • Another Amy (Replica, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 8
  • Book of Names (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #1)
  • Dragon (Five Ancestors, #7)
  • Attack of the Mutant (Goosebumps, #25)
  • The Revealing (W.I.T.C.H. Graphic Novels, #3)
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Message (Animorphs, #4)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)