Start by marking “The Andalite's Gift (Megamorphs, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Andalite's Gift (Megamorphs, #1)

The Andalite's Gift (Animorphs #7.5)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,661 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
The Animorphs needed a break from the superhero stuff and everything should have been cool. But Rachel is missing and something is after the kids.
Mass Market Paperback, 93 pages
Published 1997

To ask other readers questions about The Andalite's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Andalite's Gift

Ben Babcock
Seven books into the Animorphs series, and K.A. Applegate has a problem. The series is popular. Too popular. See, it’s so popular that its sales are already so high that any improvement is not only unlikely but mathematically impossible … unless she can come up with some way to make the series even bigger, even crazier. Something so wild that it transforms a horizontal asymptote on that time versus sales graph into a vertical one.

Enter Megamorphs. Whereas each regular book is told from a single
Julie
Mar 12, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Megamorphs book, in which each chapter alternates between a different character POV (practically ASOIAF-style!), accordingly delivering a story with even bigger scope and action. This one feels like a straight-up rip-roaring action movie, complete with animal-morphing car chases and all. It's awesome. Plus, it features one of the best quotes of the series: do you hate trash cans?? DO YOU JUST HATE TRASH CANS??!

quotes to come later!
Dichotomy Girl
This one was kind of shaky. I'm not sure if it was the multiple POV? Or just trying to put too much into one little book.
Lora
Feb 06, 2015 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Megamorphs books are the ones where we get all the POVs together, which is fun. They also don't go in order as the series books do, which I like even better; sometimes it goes from Jake to Rachel to Cassie to Rachel again.

Rachel's storyline fills me with so much horror-glee. It uses a trope I'm not fond of but does it well, and everything with her identity and how she views herself/how others see her is all super fascinating to read about.

Cassie also shines in this one; she has a brush with
Stephanie
Possibly my favorite quote from the whole book, which happens after Marco plows down 4 trash can's in Cassie's dad's truck: "Do you hate trash cans?" Jake asked. "Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!" - page 139

And after reading this, and checking my bookshelves, I don't think I ever read this book back in '99 or thereabouts, since I didn't own it. I have now remedied that, and ordered Megamorphs #1 and #4, since I also didn't have #4. That should complete my Animorphs collection
Julie Decker
Aug 05, 2014 Julie Decker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visser Three has managed to train an alien beast from Saturn to be attracted to morphing energy, so every time the Animorphs change form they have to deal with an attack from a giant dust monster. With this setback plus having Rachel separated from the group while suffering from amnesia, things seem pretty hopeless, but get even worse when Ax and Marco are captured by the monster and brought to Visser Three. Clever morphing helps them escape, and the discovery of the alien monster's weakness giv ...more
Bonesy
Back when I first discovered Animorphs in the 90s, I accidentally read this one before the main series, and it confused the hell out of me. Going back and re-reading it in order (it takes place between #7 and #8), it's definitely a unique storyline because it still follows the basic Applegate plot, but extended and from the different points of view of every main character. The part with Rachel getting amnesia was a very interesting aspect, especially when she runs into the crazy homeless lady. I ...more
Jenni
This was terrible. Amnesia and a giant dust monster... I can't even. I seriously struggled through this. It doesn't add anything necessary to the overall story, and I just wanted it to end. I'll definitely be skipping the next megamorphs book when it comes up in the chronology.
Jen
Mar 21, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a little bit looser than the main series, but just as fun to read. The kids are trying to be kids, and I like that we get a bit more of them being kids and worrying about things like pool parties and relationships and such. The last couple of books were pretty stressful (this comes in right after we meet the Ellimist, I think), so trying to let one's hair down is good.
But, of course, if it were *all* letting our hair down, there would be no book. I think (especially now that I'm older) I
Kim Dyer
The Andalite's Gift is a strange addition to the Animorphs series and I personally didn't think it was a particularly strong inclusion.

The novel is roughly a hundred pages longer than a typical Animorphs book and differs because it's narrated by all six Animorphs, rather than a single narrator. I personally found all of these voices to be unnecessary. There was far too much jumping around, sometimes only sticking with a narrator for a couple of pages before flipping to the next. It also meant th
Amantha
Hey Kathrine you do know that's not how amnesia works, right? Right??? Okay.

That being said, this is a fun book with a different narrative structure, an intriguing mystery, and possibly one of my favourite scenes from the whole series - a scene that was reenacted many a time between my friends and me (the scene where Marco steals Cassie's dad's truck). I can't count the number of times I shouted "DO YOU JUST HATE TRASH CANS???" at my sister for no apparent reason.
Alan Gilfoy
"Hit and miss Animorphs adventure"

I liked the gradual exposition of the Veleek situation, but a lot of the book felt a little weird somehow.

The Veleek being unable to lift extra-large creatures was good. It makes sense for either heroes or villains to have some limitation to keep them from being all powerful to the point of being uninteresting. (For example, Superman is sometimes criticized in this regard)

Capturing instead of killing is often a limitation

Marco's bad driving and the way the other
Mr
Apr 07, 2008 Mr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in this book it was very interesting because when rachel gets captured. when this happens it justs want you to read more and more.Also when the yeerks start to stalk them I keep thinking there going to get caught but they keep geting away at the very last second its fun to read.in conclusionthis one of my favorate books from K.A.applegate. x Tyler Reed
Megan
Sep 17, 2008 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I actually meant to get the first Animorphs books, not the Megamorphs, but I didn't check closely enough. T read these books when she was a kid, so I picked this up at Powells.

Repetitive storytelling, but it's a clever idea and I liked the descriptions. Probably would have loved it if I had been introduced to it when I was younger than 10...
Priscilla
Jun 06, 2014 Priscilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Emma for pointing out that the tie-ins should be read in publication order along with the main series! I finally have the answer to one of my biggest questions from the series: when did Marco drive Cassie's dad's truck and why??

This book was fun, which was excellent because the last few Animorphs books I read weren't. Great, but more heavy than fun. This one actually cracked me up a couple of times. I really liked how the shifting point of views helped built the story rather than ju
Maddy
Dec 29, 2015 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I vividly remember laughing myself to tears with the Marco vs. trahs can debacle multiple times when I was a kid. Now I can more appreciate the creepy old lady living in the forest (do we ever get any backstory to her?? I want backstory!) and, oh man, I LOVE how whales are written in this series. :') They're so, so poetic. And I love Cassie's doubts about whether it's ethical to morph animals with self awareness. And Tobias' joking with Marco about hawk stuff. That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, ...more
Tommy Grooms
May 06, 2016 Tommy Grooms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The four Megamorphs books are distinguished by their multiple-person narration and generally "bigger" plots. The first one has one of the more formidable foes in the Veleek, amusing action (Marco driving the truck!) and one of the most satisfying endings ("'Hey, Visser Three!' Cassie crowed. 'I washed your dog for you!'"). But apart from that it feels like the weakest of the four, and the main reason for this is the amnesia subplot with Rachel. It doesn't add much more than a general sense of co ...more
Nikki
Apr 11, 2016 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not too huge on story, but this is a fun blockbuster with heaps of action. Marco's humour is also 1000% on point in this one. I would have liked more Tobias chapters.
Christy
Oct 24, 2008 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elementary aged students (3-6)
I read this book when I was in elementary school and we had library every week. It was fun to delve into a fictional world and forget school.
Cereus
A bit more intense, and longer than the other books. Switching points of view made this much more satisfying and definitely struck me as a precursor to Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series.

Definitely impressed by Cassie's badassery in this, and the whole morality of everything really falls into place in this novel. It's definitely super serious, yet still reminds the reader that these are just KIDS.

Also Rachel's whole amnesia plot-line was a bit wearying but...whatever. It would be cool to
Janelle Dazzlepants
Katie
I don't remember for sure, but I think this might have been one of the books my local library didn't have when I was reading these books many years ago. I tend to be more forgiving of the books in the series that have sentimental memory attached to them.

Although I liked having chapters from the perspective of each of the individual Animorphs, the storyline was subpar. It utilized a cliche plot device and skimped on details that could have made powerful impacts. (view spoiler)
Josh Bacon
Mar 14, 2012 Josh Bacon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Animorphs The Andalite’s Gift was a fantastic book. It is basically about 5 kids who have the power to morph into any animal they have the chance to touch. The power was given to them by an Andalite Prince, Prince Elfangor. The normal Animorphs books are just one person telling the narration, but this one is by far, my favorite. All the characters get a chance to narrate in this book, an keep it suspenseful. As soon as one person gets into action, it’s like a commercial break while watching TV. ...more
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
The Andalite's Gift is the first Megamorphs book in the Animorphs series, taking place between Animorphs #7 and #8. The Megamorphs books are just like the regular books in the series, but a bit longer, and narrated by all the characters instead of just one. The increase in length means that the story has more time to get fleshed out, which is a nice change in pace.

A huge monster that looks like a cloud of dust and is capable of destroying anything in its path has started attacking the Animorphs.
Swankivy
Aug 05, 2014 Swankivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize until after I read the full 54-book series that the Megamorphs books actually were supposed to be read in between certain volumes. It answered a lot of questions for me about why I didn't understand certain references and whatnot. I thought they were just throwing these things out and not necessarily telling the story of every mission the group went on, but I definitely missed out on some understanding by reading these out of order.

"Hey Visser Three! I washed your dog for ya!" B
Nemo (Young Adult At Heart)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

In the first Megamorphs, the ‘companion’ series (not quite a spin off, not quite a continuation), the Animorphs fight a morph-hunting alien made of dust while Rachel has amnesia.

This companion series is special because the covers don’t follow the norm, the books are slightly longer and the narration switches between all the Animorphs – including, for the first time, Ax. Which is awesome, because narration from the point of view of aliens is often poignant
Vince
May 16, 2016 Vince rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Look, I've been adding a lot of these books to my "read" shelf lately, it's cause 2 wonderful comic creators are doing a weekly podcast about these books. I don't feel like I want to really leave a review for these, I'm just reading these for fun and nostalgia... That said, I have to remark that re-reading this was miserable, this reads like some sort of "D-Grade" fan-fiction. I know these books aren't classics of literature but damn, this book is just terrible.
Beth
Jan 24, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how this story is set up. More like a traditional novel. Instead of each book being a different character, each chapter is. And what long epic series is complete without someone getting amnesia? Even if it is a bit cliché, it made the story interesting. I also liked that she chose Rachael for the part. Typically Rachael is viewed as the confident one, and now here she is lost and afraid.

Marco as usual was hilarious. I don't think he should get a driver's license any time soon though. I lo
内森
May 16, 2015 内森 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the blockbuster of Animorphs. Does it add to the main story arc in any way? no Is it way to corny? Of course. This book shifted the formula with some interesting tactics and over the top action. Because of this some of the Animorphs most memorable moments happened within this book (truck chase scene, whale sky diving). I loved it but I completely understand why it would rub some the wrong way.
kazerniel
Surprisingly the shorther format of the other novels works better for this series than this proper-sized novel. It felt reallly long and unintriguing, I couldn't wait to be over and done with it.

The only features that saved it from me giving it 2 stars were (view spoiler). It would have been nice if they actually developed her plotline a bit more.
animorphs books 2 13 Jul 11, 2012 09:12AM
  • Book of Earth (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #5)
  • Aliens Ate My Homework (Alien Adventures, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 8
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 4 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #4)
  • Bad Hare Day (Goosebumps, #41)
  • Another Amy (Replica, #3)
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p ...more
More about Katherine Applegate...

Animorphs (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • The Invasion (Animorphs, #1)
  • The Visitor (Animorphs, #2)
  • The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)
  • The Message (Animorphs, #4)
  • The Predator (Animorphs, #5)
  • The Capture (Animorphs, #6)
  • The Stranger (Animorphs, #7)
  • The Alien (Animorphs, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)