The Andalite's Gift (Megamorphs, #1)

The Andalite's Gift (Animorphs #7.5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  2,096 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The Animorphs needed a break from the superhero stuff and everything should have been cool. But Rachel is missing and something is after the kids.
Mass Market Paperback, 93 pages
Published 1997

To ask other readers questions about The Andalite's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Andalite's Gift

Bonesy
Back when I first discovered Animorphs in the 90s, I accidentally read this one before the main series, and it confused the hell out of me. Going back and re-reading it in order (it takes place between #7 and #8), it's definitely a unique storyline because it still follows the basic Applegate plot, but extended and from the different points of view of every main character. The part with Rachel getting amnesia was a very interesting aspect, especially when she runs into the crazy homeless lady. I...more
Julie Sondra Decker
Visser Three has managed to train an alien beast from Saturn to be attracted to morphing energy, so every time the Animorphs change form they have to deal with an attack from a giant dust monster. With this setback plus having Rachel separated from the group while suffering from amnesia, things seem pretty hopeless, but get even worse when Ax and Marco are captured by the monster and brought to Visser Three. Clever morphing helps them escape, and the discovery of the alien monster's weakness giv...more
Amantha
Hey Kathrine you do know that's not how amnesia works, right? Right??? Okay.

That being said, this is a fun book with a different narrative structure, an intriguing mystery, and possibly one of my favourite scenes from the whole series - a scene that was reenacted many a time between my friends and me (the scene where Marco steals Cassie's dad's truck). I can't count the number of times I shouted "DO YOU JUST HATE TRASH CANS???" at my sister for no apparent reason.
Alan Gilfoy
"Hit and miss Animorphs adventure"

I liked the gradual exposition of the Veleek situation, but a lot of the book felt a little weird somehow.

The Veleek being unable to lift extra-large creatures was good. It makes sense for either heroes or villains to have some limitation to keep them from being all powerful to the point of being uninteresting. (For example, Superman is sometimes criticized in this regard)

Capturing instead of killing is often a limitation

Marco's bad driving and the way the other...more
Mr
in this book it was very interesting because when rachel gets captured. when this happens it justs want you to read more and more.Also when the yeerks start to stalk them I keep thinking there going to get caught but they keep geting away at the very last second its fun to read.in conclusionthis one of my favorate books from K.A.applegate. x Tyler Reed
Megan
I actually meant to get the first Animorphs books, not the Megamorphs, but I didn't check closely enough. T read these books when she was a kid, so I picked this up at Powells.

Repetitive storytelling, but it's a clever idea and I liked the descriptions. Probably would have loved it if I had been introduced to it when I was younger than 10...
Priscilla
Thank you to Emma for pointing out that the tie-ins should be read in publication order along with the main series! I finally have the answer to one of my biggest questions from the series: when did Marco drive Cassie's dad's truck and why??

This book was fun, which was excellent because the last few Animorphs books I read weren't. Great, but more heavy than fun. This one actually cracked me up a couple of times. I really liked how the shifting point of views helped built the story rather than ju...more
Christy
Oct 24, 2008 Christy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elementary aged students (3-6)
I read this book when I was in elementary school and we had library every week. It was fun to delve into a fictional world and forget school.
Janelle Dazzlepants
Katie
I don't remember for sure, but I think this might have been one of the books my local library didn't have when I was reading these books many years ago. I tend to be more forgiving of the books in the series that have sentimental memory attached to them.

Although I liked having chapters from the perspective of each of the individual Animorphs, the storyline was subpar. It utilized a cliche plot device and skimped on details that could have made powerful impacts. (view spoiler)...more
Josh Bacon
Animorphs The Andalite’s Gift was a fantastic book. It is basically about 5 kids who have the power to morph into any animal they have the chance to touch. The power was given to them by an Andalite Prince, Prince Elfangor. The normal Animorphs books are just one person telling the narration, but this one is by far, my favorite. All the characters get a chance to narrate in this book, an keep it suspenseful. As soon as one person gets into action, it’s like a commercial break while watching TV....more
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
The Andalite's Gift is the first Megamorphs book in the Animorphs series, taking place between Animorphs #7 and #8. The Megamorphs books are just like the regular books in the series, but a bit longer, and narrated by all the characters instead of just one. The increase in length means that the story has more time to get fleshed out, which is a nice change in pace.

A huge monster that looks like a cloud of dust and is capable of destroying anything in its path has started attacking the Animorphs....more
Swankivy
I didn't realize until after I read the full 54-book series that the Megamorphs books actually were supposed to be read in between certain volumes. It answered a lot of questions for me about why I didn't understand certain references and whatnot. I thought they were just throwing these things out and not necessarily telling the story of every mission the group went on, but I definitely missed out on some understanding by reading these out of order.

"Hey Visser Three! I washed your dog for ya!" B...more
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

In the first Megamorphs, the ‘companion’ series (not quite a spin off, not quite a continuation), the Animorphs fight a morph-hunting alien made of dust while Rachel has amnesia.

This companion series is special because the covers don’t follow the norm, the books are slightly longer and the narration switches between all the Animorphs – including, for the first time, Ax. Which is awesome, because narration from the point of view of aliens is often poignant...more
Beth
I like how this story is set up. More like a traditional novel. Instead of each book being a different character, each chapter is. And what long epic series is complete without someone getting amnesia? Even if it is a bit cliché, it made the story interesting. I also liked that she chose Rachael for the part. Typically Rachael is viewed as the confident one, and now here she is lost and afraid.

Marco as usual was hilarious. I don't think he should get a driver's license any time soon though. I lo...more
Rachel
The Animorphs can't figure out what is going on. There's a dust mmonster chasing them. It hunts morphing energy, so they can't morph without being found. They have no idea which planet the dust monster is from, or what it wants to do. Plus, Rachel has amnesia and is on the run. The other Animorphs have to find her and get rid of the dust monster--or give up the fight to save their planet.

The Animorphs books are science fiction. Completely, all the way. There are aliens with their alien technolog...more
Kristen
First Megamorphs. I don't even have individual reactions to the books anymore. They're all just part of the series, and I want to know what happens in the next part. This one was good. The kids all have a different enough voice that switching among them all didn't really throw me very much. I could tell it was somebody new talking. However, I don't think any of the voices were strong enough that I jumped into the chapters and started reading without first checking the chapter heading to see who...more
Danielle
Kind of too over-the-top for me.
Avel
I like the "telepathy" or "thought-speak" as it was portrayed in the passages. This book is great for young readers. One of the girls loses her memory, which displays strong emotion (pathos). As a vital key to catch young boys attention it also has action, and courage. It's good how the author shows the story from all of the characters points of views. It is a perfect page turner! Some peeps might creep-out by the "morphs." Nothing to shake a stick at.
Sharon
This was a pretty good one, fast paced and fun at times. Though what happens to Rachel is a bit...unnecessary. I really liked Marco here, and Jake, too. I especially like the end and the solution that they come up with. However, though it was an exciting book it wasn't a terribly memorable one. Nothing much happened that doesn't happen in other books and there were no great shining character moments. Though I did like the Ax and Marco scenes.
Val Nwosu
This was a very interesting take on things. Rachel loses her memory but retains her instincts. All in all, I liked the book but I didn't think it was better than any of the other megamorphs. I won't say any of the cool action parts in this book but I will say that readers will enjoy it. There is a crazy ex-controller in that traps one of the animorphs and the thing that Marco did at the pool was hilarious! I literally laughed out loud!
Getting to see a story unfold from all the main characters' viewpoints was really neat. Took a little getting used to, since all the other Animorph books are strictly single-narrator, but well worth it in the end.
The concept of a creature (or swarm of creatures) that feels and feeds off distinct energies was also cool, as was the way the kids figured out how to beat it in the end.
Cheryl in CC NV
A short comment for every book of the series until I get a chance to re-read them. All three of my sons and I loved this series and read every single book - I even bought every single book (most, but not all, used; some through school book sales). I'm excited to re-read them to see how the five main characters develop and to watch all the different transformations again.
This was another total favorite from childhood. Upon rereading, it's still a lot of fun, particularly with viewing the same events from such different perspective. But I guess my gripe with it now is that it (as with the rest of the MegaMorphs) is not really contiguous with the rest of the series. Nothing builds off of what happened in this one.
Caitlin
THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD

RACHEL!!! ♥♥♥♥ JAKE!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ TOBIAS!!!!!!! AX ♥♥♥!!! EVERYONEEEEE

Jackie Krasuski
I do not know how I ever would have survived junior high without this fantastic science fiction series. Maybe the story quality went down as the book numbers got higher, but the idea that aliens were invading our planet secretly... it was almost good enough for a young teenager to believe.
Odette
Not my favorite of the Megamorphs books by any means, but it has some action and some nice Yeerk moves. Plus, there's a crazy lady in the forest, and the trash can scene, arguably the best scene in all of Animorphs.
Ashley
Good book, the plot was slightly repetative and predictable, but overall not bad.

Didn't advance the plot any though, or flesh out characters, but Cassie got a whale. That's about it.
Maria M. Elmvang
Like BSC "Super Specials", "Megamorphs" tells the story from all viewpoints instead of just one. I think I prefer the regular Animorphs books though.
Ms. Myers
The. Book part. Of. Book Is. Tiger. And. Beare. Animorphs. Andalite 's. rachel. I think. Megamorph
animorphs books 2 12 Jul 11, 2012 09:12AM
  • Book Of Earth (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #5)
  • I Live in Your Basement! (Goosebumps, #61)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 3
  • Aliens Ate My Homework (Alien Adventures, #1)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 4 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #4)
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p...more
More about Katherine Applegate...
The One and Only Ivan The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) Beach Blondes: June Dreams, July's Promise, August Magic (Summer, #1-3) The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)