Start by marking “Zero Degree” as Want to Read:
Zero Degree

Zero Degree

Fiction. South Asia Studies. Translated from the Tamil by Pritham K. Chakravarthy and Rakesh Khanna. With its mad patchwork of phone sex conversations, nightmarish torture scenes, tender love poems, numerology, mythology, and compulsive name-dropping of Latin American intellectuals, Charu Nivedita's novel ZERO DEGREE stands out as a groundbreaking work of Tamil transgressi ...more
Published May 16th 2008 by Blaft Publications (first published 1998)

Nandakishore Varma
This book is said to be the face of Avant Gardë literature in Tamil. In the preface to the Malayalam translation, the famous writer Zacharia heaps praise on the novel. He says Malayalam writers are all stuck in the Romantic rut while Tamil literature has forged ahead, with a novel like Zero Degree which breaks all conventions.

In that, he is right. Charu Nivedita has thrown off all conventional restraints in the creation of this "anti-novel": a mix of narrative, poetry, doodles and sheer absurdit
Sangeetha Ramachandran
This would be one book I wanted to read for really a long time. There were warnings against it! Still whenever I check out any tamil books, I never failed to check its price or read its prologue. And finally it reached me in its due time.

A minute into the book, I understood that it isn't for me! This book, as claimed to be one of the best transgressive fiction work of tamil sadly didn't work for me. Okay this had happened before. I thought I should give it one more try.

This was my second attempt
Shyam Sundar
I neither liked this book nor disliked this book ! my head was swirling like anything when i'm done with thing !
this is my first non - linear & lipogrammatic novel !

why did i read this novel ?
* The legendary writer Sujatha called it ' a piece of shit'.
*Tehelka called it "Style with substance".
*Some called for the book to be banned straight away.
*Wikipedia calls it 'Postmodern lipogrammatic" novel .
*some call it transgressive fiction.

First, remember everything you are told and have believ
Ishan
Feb 04, 2012 Ishan rated it really liked it
I first came across Charu Nivedita at the Jaipur Literature Festival. He cracked me up, so I picked up his book.

The book, is, quite simply, chaotic.

Chaotic not in the usual demeaning sense. Chaotic in the way the world is chaotic. Chaotic in a beautiful way.

You'll struggle at some parts if not most, to decipher the meaning or relevance of a passage in the text. And it is this struggle that makes the book so good, and such a enjoyable read. Half way through, you'll come at a sort of agreement wit
Pechi
Aug 30, 2015 Pechi rated it it was amazing
A lipogrammatic novel ? In tamil? written in the 80s? Whoa! Unbelievable right?

One of the most unique and disturbing books you'll ever read . There may b no other book as unique as this in any other language.

It's a transgressive novel and its transgression at its peak ! Zero degrees is way ahead of its time . Even in 2015, it seems too futuristic to be true. Kudos to Charu for his bravery !

The book shatters all the expected codes of decency and morality in the very first page where he describes
Karthick Shiva
Aug 05, 2014 Karthick Shiva rated it really liked it
I dont know what to write a review about this book. because I dont know what author is trying to say.
I gave 4 stars because I have come to know a new genre called "Transgressive fiction". but still I dont understand the theme behind this F***ng zero degree. its like each page is not linked.
Lippogrammatic.. ok what is lippogrammatic.?

Read again and again! :( :( so that you will not understand.
Sarath
Aug 18, 2014 Sarath rated it liked it
The most craziest novel I have read till date. Felt - irritated, shocked, surprised, disgusted, sympathetic and bored. This is no easy novel and definitely not for those who can get offended by strong content of violence and sex. Never thought a novel could be this way and the most interesting read was Avanthika's episode in the novel. "Zero Degree" definitely needs a second read.
Sravanthi
Jan 05, 2011 Sravanthi rated it really liked it
Needs another read. But, quite a journey. I have no idea what 'finishing' this book means. It demands more than one read and the book itself can be read in bits and pieces: as an anthology of poems, a collection of short stories, mythical narratives and more such.
Dhanabalan P
Sep 16, 2014 Dhanabalan P rated it did not like it
This is a piece of shit.
Hannah Jervis
Jul 10, 2013 Hannah Jervis rated it it was amazing
Weird and beautiful.
Jagan K
Feb 21, 2016 Jagan K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Read review on my blog: http://orukozhiyinkooval.blogspot.in/...

நாவல எனறால எனன? அது எபபடி இருகக வேணடும? அது நமககுள எனனெனன உணரவுகளை ஏறபடுதத வேணடும? எது இலககியம ஆகிறது? இலககியபபடைபபாக ஒரு புதினததை கருதுவோமாயின அதன தனமைகள எனன? குணஙகள எனன? வரமபுகள எனன? வரையறைகள எனன? கருததுகள எனன? கோடபாடுகள எனன? இபபடிப பல கேளவிகளுககு நமமால பதில அளிகக முடியும. ஆனால அபபதிலும ஒரு கருததாகவே இருககக கடவது. தேரநத எழுததாளரகளும, இலககியவாதிகளும சொலலும பதிலகள பெருமபாலும ஏறறுக கொளளப படடாலும அது வாசிபனுபவததை திரிகக வலலது. தூயமையா
Kalyan
Nov 20, 2011 Kalyan rated it did not like it
Total crap! Charu talks about everything in this book. Every page the topic jumps between cruelty, sex, sadism, child abuse, machoism, communism, gays, physical torture of captivities... sometime he even talks about big bang and infinity. with the current state of the world I felt like reading bunch of news papers cuts from different places. Yes! there is no sequence in it. It was like a dream sequence. It jumps between incidents. Sometime the character in itself gives interview but which is act ...more
Murugaraja Rajendran
Feb 17, 2017 Murugaraja Rajendran rated it it was amazing
Alogia
Mar 23, 2015 Alogia rated it liked it
Now that i have finished this book Goodreads now asks me, 'What do you think?', as though it were as simple a question as that to talk about Degree Zero. To be perfectly honest, I really don't know at all what I think. I have yet to decide if this book is so experimental that it is brilliant, or just the result of laziness called literature.

There are a handful of reoccurring 'characters' housed in a goodly number of short 'chapters' which include some character sketches, some recollections, som
Jeffy Joseph
Jun 27, 2016 Jeffy Joseph rated it really liked it
It sure is experimental. It felt like watching TV when someone else is channel surfing. Some times you get to see long sequences to make sense out of it, but there are also moments when the image flashes right past your mind as in a subliminal message.

A recurring theme is the violence against women in the society. Almost all the female characters in this novel are victims of some form of societal injustice. Some readers might be repelled by some passages/chapters, but those things do happen in
Azhagu Selvan
This book is said to be one of the break through on tamil literature. It talks about a lot of cruel stuff. Forced Sex, Starvation, Poverty, Violence on women. It is said to be written as a transgressive fiction in a non-linear way. It touched me in bits and pieces, but as a whole I think I'm not well read enough to understand the whole point of this book.
Dhevathi Rajan Rajagopalan Kannan
I bought this book after reading the prologue which stated that ,this is a non linear fiction and written lippogramatic method . Only few novels in history are written like this .
Novel is surely non linear , few chapters are well written but due to the non linear style it took time for me to understand . There are passages which are sarcastic and some of them are reality .
Ahimaaz R
Feb 19, 2011 Ahimaaz R rated it it was amazing
Creation chaos words(the power of them)communication(miscommunication) anxiety (angst) absurdity: human(beast) In my attempting to putting it in a nutshell there's the dawning of the realization I'm failing in the very act of it
Chitralekha
Jun 30, 2015 Chitralekha rated it liked it
Intriguing in parts, but fails to come together as a whole.
Vviisshhwwaa
Jan 26, 2013 Vviisshhwwaa rated it it was ok
Arunraj Ms
Nov 21, 2014 Arunraj Ms rated it really liked it
Bewildered and intoxicated writing style.....
Overthrowing all traditional novel concept with special effects.....
But "Zero degree" stands just below his "Exile"
Karthik
Many had written it many things..Its my turn..I couldnt stop feeling the uneasiness and irritating feeling when i was reading the book
Bharathi Rajeswaran
Travel
Genre
Lekshminarayanan Karthik
Jan 16, 2014 Lekshminarayanan Karthik marked it as to-read
"first of its kind book postmodern literature in tamil" they said. i've read this in tamil *goodreads* don't have that version on shelf. good for a open minded and matured readers.
Kirubakaran
Apr 22, 2013 Kirubakaran rated it really liked it
OK
Jaganathan Mani
Highly controversial Words and imaginations. Takes you to your breaking point.
Ramakrishnan Haribabu
The first transgressive/post-modernism book I read and it took more than 2 reads to understand this genre...
Kunal Thakur
Kunal Thakur rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2013
Iyyappan
Iyyappan rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Dinesh Raghavendra
Dinesh Raghavendra rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • ஜே ஜே சில குறிப்புகள்
  • நில்லுங்கள் ராஜாவே [Nillungal Rajave]
  • ஏழாம் உலகம்
  • Harbart
  • Going for a Beer
  • At the Full and Change of the Moon
  • ராஜீவ் கொலை வழக்கு (Rajiv Kolai Vazhakku)
  • Saraswati Park