Start by marking “Dragons From The Sea (The Strongbow Saga #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragons From The Sea (The Strongbow Saga #2)

Dragons From The Sea (The Strongbow Saga #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  983 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The thrilling Strongbow Saga continues with this fierce sequel chronicling the adventures of a young man learning the ways of the Viking warriors. As fifteen-year-old Halfdan embarks on a perilous mission in a foreign land, he shows signs of greatness. But will he live up to his family name, or die trying? Author and Viking expert Judson Roberts draws on his detailed knowl ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by HarperTeen (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons From The Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons From The Sea

Trish
Feb 15, 2009 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was able to steal this book from Sarah (she's on page 252) and finished it very quickly. I was anxious to see where our hero Halfdan would go next. He is still not quite out of danger and I was glad for every friend he encountered now that he is so very alone. I laughed out loud at the declaration, "I could not believe my good fortune. We were going to war." Boys who have never seen war have such a romantic view of it.

What I love about this character is his humility and integrity. His religion
Lady Knight
I loved "Viking Warrior" and was really hoping for a solid sequel. "Dragons From the Sea" is definitely satisfactory!

After the encounter with Toke and his men that left Halfdan without home or family (again!), Halfdan has sworn a blood debt to avenge Harald by killing Toke and the other murderers among his crew. But first he needs to gain some standing before other men or his claims will be ignored and Toke will certainly kill him before he has a chance to kill Toke. He ventures to apply for a
Neil Hanson
Aug 10, 2011 Neil Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first of these recently, and really enjoyed it. I believe these are actually classified as books for teens or older teens - clearly targeted at boys and young men. The last time I fell into one of those categories, the Beetles were still together...

Nonetheless, I really like these books.

This is a book I was wishing wouldn’t end so quickly. The storytelling is outstanding, even if the character development is a bit simple. But again, these books are written for young men / teenagers -
Karen Ball
Jun 05, 2011 Karen Ball rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical fiction with a solid base on what life was like for most people during the time of Viking invasions (before 1000 AD). Lots of action, violence and bloodshed, so if that's not your favorite fare, this may not be for you. For those mature readers (I recommend for 8th grade and up) who can handle that, this is well written with phenomenal character development. Be ready -- Roberts has no problem killing off characters you've come to like.
Book 2: Dragons From the Sea -- Halfdan
My Review: Judson Roberts may be no Stephen King or Ken Follett, but, nonetheless, he does have some pretty sweet storytelling skills. In the second book of The Strongbow Saga, we are reunited with Halfdan as he continues his ongoing fight for revenge. It’s interesting— at times it seems as though some inner piece of Halfdan’s soul seeks peace and cannot make sense out of the killing and plundering so revered and respected by his culture. He speaks with the forest and its creatures so beautifull ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Grandma Bev for TeensReadToo.com

The year is 845 A.D. and fifteen-year-old Halfdan Hroriksson vows to find and kill the man who murdered his brother, Harald. He travels to the fortress, Hedeby, where he hopes to join the crew of a Viking longship and go i-viking.

The fierce, epic STRONGBOW SAGA continues with this exciting sequel, following the adventures of a young man learning the ways of the Viking warriors.

Halfdan is ready for action, armed with an amazing longbow that he made hi
bird
Oct 20, 2012 bird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. It completely topped the first book and I once again loved Halfdan. He is such a character and so real. I was in stiches throughout this book. Probably because at times he reminds me of a main character in a story of mine, but he has such a dark and dry sense of humor.

I know she is supposed to be a lady-like type of girl...........buttttttt....... Genevieve got on my nerves quite a bit. She whined and cried too much. Sure she had spirit, but I sided wit
Stacy
Jun 06, 2010 Stacy rated it really liked it
Fast paced action, left me wanting more!

The plot is a masterpiece. Perfectly woven to tell a wonderful tale. Perfectly written.

The story opens with Halfdan journeying to find employment on a ship so he can gain wealth for his ultimate quest, to avenge his brother’s murder. He soon becomes part of a crew and his true warrior training begins. Through battles and trials his honor is tested. However, his ultimate test comes in the form of a prisoner.

I like the struggle Halfdan continues to face in t
P.D.R. Lindsay
Aug 11, 2013 P.D.R. Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya

This is the second book in a series (the Strongbow Saga) about a young Viking warrior, Halfdan Hroriksson, who lives at the time of the Viking expansion into Europe in the late 9thC. Halfdan's story is woven through the known history about several Viking heroes and leaders, but the book is more than a history lesson. Halfdan's story makes good reading. It's definitely YA fiction and a young man's book for it's a good solid adventure story about a young man.

In the first book, 'Viking Warrior' Hal
Andrew
Mar 09, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the second book in the series more then the first mostly because the plot moves along at a very brisk pace(I felt the first book took a bit too long to get going in terms of the main story), and also because this book makes a bit more use of its historical setting. It ties in with the actual historical raids of real life Vikings such as Ragnar Logbrod against the Western Frankish Kingdom of Charles the Bald in A.D. 845. Also interesting is the internal struggle of main character Halfdan- ...more
Craig
Feb 19, 2011 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is Book Two in the Strongbow Saga by Judson Roberts. The principal character, Halfdan, son of a Viking warlord and a captured Irish princess, enlists as an expert bowman on a longbow (Danish fighting vessel). His ship is one of many which have left Denmark in 845 AD under command the Danish King to invade Frankia (France). France was actually invaded by a large Viking force in 845, so the narrative is historical fiction. Through deception, the men from Halfdan's ship (and other ships) invad ...more
Michelle Griep
Sep 04, 2011 Michelle Griep rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this, I definitely need to get me a bow and arrow. Whewie...what a non-stop Viking adventure! This is the second in the Strongbow Saga, picking up with hero Halfdan in the trading town of Hedeby, and ending with a screaming great cliffhanger. Good thing I've already got the next book in my hot little hands.

Author Judson Roberts does a fantastic job putting the reader into a Viking warrior's POV. I felt like I was out on the trail scouting for enemies, or riding the crests in a lon
Stacey
Halfdan has survived a lot lately. A recently released slave turned warrior he has seen his father’s, mother’s and now half-brother’s death. And he took an oath to avenge those that have been wronged. But first he needs to make his story and name known as he travels in the land of the Danes and finds a ship that will allow him to be a Viking.
I had read this book years ago when it was first published. I was surprised, it’s historical fiction. It has all the elements of a good fantasy story, but i
Douglas Cook
Young Norseman Halfdan sails on his first raiding party. Exciting plot and setting.

First paragraphs
Hedeby
Early in the year the Christians number the eight hundred and forty-fifth after the death of their God the White Christ, my fate led me to the outskirts of Hedeby, the largest town in all the kingdom of the Danes. I arrived there in the late afternoon, tired, hungry, and sore from spending many days atop a horse. At least I had not suffered too badly from the cold on my journey. Though by
Judy
Feb 28, 2015 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not great but good enough for a Viking fix. It was interesting that the author included Ragnar Lothbrok, Bjorn Ironside and Ivar the Boneless in this book. 843 AD seems to be a truer date for these historical figures than 40 years earlier as in the TV show.
Katie
Jun 29, 2015 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is often the case with series, this 2nd novel in the Strongbow Trilogy seems like a bridge more than a novel. I look forward to seeing more of how Halfdan's story unfolds in the next two installments.
Darcy Lewis
An engaging continuation of the journey of Halfdan, the half-Danish, half-Irish teen whose brother Harald was murdered (book 1). Here, he starts to make his way in the Viking world.
Samantha
Feb 09, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great and fun read!!! it was full of action and adventure i loved every single page amazing work Judson Roberts!!!
Con Wolf
Aug 09, 2015 Con Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, it wasn't quite as exciting as the first book but I can't wait to read the next book!
Daniel
Dec 03, 2011 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was just as good as the first and maybe a little. It continues the story of Halfdan, but now his part of jarl Hastein's crew. This book delves deeper into how the viking society works.It also allows for Halfdan's character to develop and change with the new challenges he faces. Aboard a viking ship he has to earn respect from the other crew. With the addition of new characters it gave the story a little variety and realism to the story. The story arch is still very entertaining and rea ...more
Spencer
Apr 18, 2015 Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great novel by Jusdon Roberts. The historical accuracy is really enjoyable, and the twists and turns the plot has made are exciting. Halfdan has grown a lot since the beginning of the first book, and that kind of progression is always great. A fun read for teens and adults!
Joe
great easy read with plenty of action. Be prepared to read the third in the series.
Sonia
Dec 19, 2014 Sonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another amazing novel from this saga. great job mr. roberts!
Kate
Book 2 in the Strongbow Saga picks up right where Book 1 left off with our hero Halfdan continuing his quest to avenge his family honor and the death of his brother. Lots of Viking battles complete with pillage and plunder. This book introduces several new characters who are real historical figures,making for some interesting reading. The author includes lots of notes about the Vikings at the end of his books and on his blogs. Book 3 next but 4 not due out for awhile due to publishing conflicts. ...more
Abby Goldsmith
Another cliff-hanger ending, but this second book in the saga is just as good as the first. I'm listening to the newly produced audiobook versions, and I wish I didn't have to wait for the next book! I want to listen to them all in one go.

These books feel very well-researched, with immersive details about viking life and the 'Land of the Franks.' The characters, the adventure, and the story makes history come alive. Love it!

Heather E
May 27, 2010 Heather E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable sequel to Viking Warrior. Halfdan joins a Viking ship as it sails to invade France. I'm really enjoying watching Roberts balance Halfdan as a believable Viking and a sympathetic hero (often tricky since many aspects of Viking culture - making a fortune through rape and pillage for example - are hard to sympathize with). I am looking forward to the third book in this series.
Barbara ★
Jan 30, 2009 Barbara ★ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who like Viking novels
I have always been fascinated by the Vikings and their exploits. This book gives a first hand look (from a teenager who is a man in this time period) at life and vengeance in AD 845. Really fascinating and just as bloody as you would expect from a Viking novel. I just ordered book 3.
Kileen
Nov 05, 2011 Kileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this story, it was really well written and Filled with bloody battles that I know guys will enjoy far more than me. But, the author threw in some romance for us girls and made it a perfect series. I highly recommend this series!
Scott Marlowe
Mar 26, 2011 Scott Marlowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I was about to pull the trigger on book 3 when I noticed the Kindle price: $9.99? Really? These are short novels. Good story, but not worth paying that much for the eBook. Sorry, Harper Collins.
Taia
Dec 01, 2009 Taia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very well done I still love Halfden! And I was very happy to have other characters who were funny and witty. And the intro to 'the girl' was great. The battle scenes were awesome!
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • An Innocent Soldier
  • Sons of Thunder (Raven #2)
  • Frontier Wolf
  • The Lion at Bay (Kingdom Series, #2)
  • Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • Blood Will Follow (The Valhalla Saga, #2)
  • Blue Flame (Perfect Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow of the Swords: An Epic Novel of the Crusades
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • The Rogues (Stuart Quartet, #4)
  • The Wallace
  • Blood Lance (Crispin Guest, #5)
  • Fight for Freedom (Gladiator, #1)
  • Keeper of the Grail (The Youngest Templar, #1)
  • Far Traveler
  • Sworn Brother (Viking, #2)
Fascinated since childhood with the Vikings, and a lover his entire life of captivating stories, Judson Roberts decided in 1999 to attempt to combine these interests and write a novel set within the world of the Vikings. Two years and countless hours of research later, the Strongbow Saga, a historical fiction series for adult and teen readers, was born.

Over his long and varied career, Judson Rober
More about Judson Roberts...

The Strongbow Saga (4 books)
  • Viking Warrior (The Strongbow Saga, #1)
  • The Road to Vengeance (The Strongbow Saga, #3)
  • The Long Hunt (The Strongbow Saga, #4)