Start by marking “Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods” as Want to Read:
Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods

Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  543 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Defines a biblical church as one that properly balances the eternal truths of Scripture with timely, relevant methods designed to engage the culture.

The book in the popular Re: Lit series picks up where Vintage Jesus leaves off, beginning with a focus on the person and work of Jesus and then exploring the confessional, experiential, and missional aspects of his church. Thi
Published December 23rd 2008 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Vintage Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vintage Church

The Trellis And The Vine by Colin MarshallLife Together by Dietrich BonhoefferBrothers, We Are Not Professionals by John PiperTotal Church by Tim ChesterDangerous Calling by Paul David Tripp
Local Church
9th out of 54 books — 25 voters
FROM BUDDHA TO JESUS by Steve CioccolantiHumility by C.J. MahaneyRadical by David PlattWhy Pro-Life? by Randy AlcornCity of God by Augustine of Hippo
Christian Engagement in Culture
70th out of 115 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Sean
Vintage Church can best be explained as a field manual on The Church. Chapters deal exhaustively with various issues associated with what the church is, what the church does, how the church does this or that, why the church does this or that, etc. Each point is well researched and well backed by Scripture with a lot of direct footnotes.

Reading this book can be exciting and encouraging, but you need to discern what is official and what is opinion. There are very many great resources, ideas, and t
Alex
Vintage Church is classic Mark Driscoll (cowritten with Gary Breshears) - classic systematic evangelical theology delivered in a contemporary, relevant package. What I particularly like about Driscoll is he's unapologetic about defending a historic, biblical, evangelical faith. He is obviously familiar with church history, drawing on major Christian thinkers and coupled with a deep knowledge of Scripture writes with authority.

Driscoll grounds the church firmly in Christ and from there discusses
Jonathan

I would have given the book an extra star but for the fact that Driscoll covers much of the subject matter in more detail in "Doctrine" and "On Church Leadership". By and large, the book is timely, well written and immediately useable. I think, however, toward the end of its pages, the author falls prey to his own preference for church location and method of interaction. While I would take nothing from Driscoll's thoughts on missional churches impacting culture, it seems to me to be incomplete a
Tom Bazan
Vintage Church is part of Driscoll and Breshears' Re:Lit group of books. Similar to Vintage Jesus, this has a bit of a textbook feel. Driscoll gets through a lot of topics very quickly. He doesn't waste a lot of time explaining things more than he needs to. He gives a lot of lists and groups. He doesn't mince words.

In summary, this book is about the body of Jesus Christ, the church. In each chapter, he looks at some of the issues that churches have to consider--many are doctrinal (such as the ro
Chauncey Lattimer
Mark Driscoll & Gerry Breshears. Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods. Wheaton: Crossway Books, 2008. 336pp.

Mark Driscoll (pastor) and Dr. Gerry Breshears (professor/theologian) have joined once again to bring us Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods, the second “Vintage” title in the well-liked Re:Lit series. Many ‘church leadership’ books are lacking in that they are either all leadership philosophy/theology – with little or no hands-on practicality or they are ‘
Chris
Vintage Churchis a very good book. In it pastors Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears present what they believe a church should be and do. The book answers 12 questions starting with what is Christian life and Christian Church, and ending with how can the Church transform the World. The answers to their questions are based in their understanding of the Bible, and they site the sources for their arguments. The arguments are easily understood, and the book is full of information.
I had ahardtime liste
Nathan Hartley
I only rated this book two stars because I agree with almost everything Driscoll says in it. Otherwise, it would have only been one star. The reason is not the content but the delivery. This book is such a dry, boring, and un-engaging read. If someone is walking into an evangelical church for the very first time this book will help them understand the reasons behind the things they see. However, most of that is usually learned in conversation or a partnership/membership class. The book came acro ...more
Dottie Parish
This is an excellent book clearly describing what the church is and should be. Through out it exalts Jesus Christ as the head of the church. Chapter titles include: What is A Christian Church, Who is Supposed to Lead a Church? Why is Preaching Important?, How Can a Church be Unified? How Can a Church Utilize Technology? How Could the Church Transform the World?

In the chapter on church unity a detailed discussion of what divides the church including: heretics, pride, legalism, distrust, traditio
Ryan Rindels
I would highly recommend every Christian read Vintage Church. There are so many aspects of the faith, and the church in general that are assumed and yet undefinable by most. What is the church of Jesus Christ? Why is church membership important? What about Church discipline? Mark Driscoll (and Gerry Breshears) answer these questions. Driscoll has a journalism background and it makes his writting easy to read. I appreciate the innovative aspects of his ministry at Mars Hill in Seattle. For instan ...more
Zach Gifford
Apr 12, 2010 Zach Gifford rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This book, the second in the Vintage series by Mark Driscoll, looks at the church through the lens of Scripture and allows it to teach us what a church should look like.

I really appreciated the "fresh view" of a Scriptural view of church when so many people are trying to figure out the new way of doing things, or even turning away from church altogether. I definitely recommend this book to everyone who wants to be involved in the church.
Bill
I love the constant, plain, direct reference to the Bible as the way to define what church is. Driscoll is very comfortable in describing the current landscape, both of society in general and of the church. As usual, Driscoll's style is easy to read, which is an asset in this genre! Has significantly influenced how I'm thinking about church.
Evan
Really enjoyed reading this book. As someone who has a limited role in church ministry, it made me want to get more involved. I thought the concepts were great and really enjoyed the biblical basis for what they talked about. I think it was an easier read, most of the concepts were well-explained, and I thought it was very informative!
Aaron Thomas
awesome stuff in here. It's a little dry at the beginning and Driscoll loves to use big words, but I have a man crush on this guy. It's one of those books where you can jump around b/c each chapter is a very independent subject. He's got some great stuff in here, particularly on "unity" and "church discipline".
Jason
Jun 23, 2009 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
This was a great book that went over various aspects of the church and I, once again, found Mark Driscoll's writing very entertaining and enlightening.

If you are interested in finding out why churches do the things they do and having an inside look into the life of a church, check out this book.
Jared Totten
While the first half of the book deals with theological issues, the second half deals with more practical issues such as the use of media and interaction with the culture. A sound and thorough treatment of the idea of church. While it could have been split into two books, it was definitely a good read!
Aileen Benjamin
I really enjoyed this book though it was not what I expected. I found the chapter on church unity especially encouraging and enlightening. Thanks again, Mark, for another clear, concise and helpful read.
Valerie
That's what I'm talking about. I love practitioners. Even if you don't agree with everything, you gotta love the relentless practicality and thoroughness... at least I do.
Joel Blunt
One of the worst books I have ever read. The author makes zero attempts to prove any of his points. Driscoll's editor should not have allowed this to go to print.
Peter Krol
I didn't agree with everything, but I thought this was an excellent book on what the church is and does, written for the common man. Very, very practical and engaging.
Tom
I listened to this book after I downloaded it from audible. Pastor Driscoll brought up some interesting points. Worth a read/listen.
Jonathan Render
This a good book and if you have read vintage Jesus you should read vintage church. these two books go hand and hand.
John Root
Anyone seeking a basic understanding of Ecclesiology should read this book. Driscoll writes in a very accessible way, as always.
Cindy
I don't like Driscoll's sarcastic humor and pessimism. Probably the only time a read a book by him.
Jeremy Anderson
Great content but can be difficult reading. Theology students and theo-nerds will dig it.
Tyler Hurst
Just not very good. I would recommend several other books instead.
Bobby Jones
Great biblical perspective on the church!
John Wiley
Good contemporary ecclesiology
Cheryl Reber
Apr 30, 2013 Cheryl Reber added it
Shelves: ministry
Great reference work in Driscoll style.
Crystal
Awesome! A must read.
Todd
Love reading MD!
  • Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community
  • Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission
  • Community: Taking Your Small Group off Life Support (Re:Lit)
  • Leaders Who Last
  • The Trellis And The Vine
  • Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be)
  • Nine Marks of a Healthy Church
  • Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
  • Finding Faithful Elders and Deacons
  • Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry

Mark A. Driscoll is the founder and teaching pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Washington, as well as the co-founder of the Acts 29 Church Planting Network where he also served as President for a short period. Driscoll continues to serve on the board of Acts 29. He has contributed to the "Faith and Values"
More about Mark Driscoll...
Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship & Life Together Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe (RE: Lit) Death by Love: Letters from the Cross Vintage Jesus: Timeless Answers to Timely Questions Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church