Long Journey Home

Long Journey Home

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  11 reviews
After divorcing her abusive husband, single mother Callie May is still nursing the scars of a painful past. The last thing she needs in her life is another man, so she's less than thrilled when a handsome but brooding stranger moves into the apartment across the hall. Dan Mattson may be attractive, but his circumstances certainly aren't: a former church pastor, he abandone...more
Published September 7th 2008 by Whitaker Distribution (first published June 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Long Journey Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Journey Home

Jewel
Sharlene MacLaren easily draws me into the bitter complicated lives of Callie May, a newly divorced mother of one and recently singled neighbor Reverend Dan Matteson. Dan doesn't understand why God allowed an unthinkable tragedy to come his way and is convinced there is no reason to continue to serve in pastoral care. Callie believes her mistake of falling for someone who abused and abandoned her is enough to keep her from ever experiencing true love.

MacLaren exemplifies how the immense pain of...more
Kw
Nice story. Very predictable, however, and a little hard to believe that Dan would have been so aggressive and almost hostile so early on. Several things didn't ring true . . .
Ruth
Her: A single mother of an infant, recently divorced from an abusive husband. She is trying to start over, with God at the center of her life.
Him: A minister who left his church after his wife and baby daughter were killed in a car accident. He is running from the pain and from God.
Setting: The apartment building in which they both live.
Resolution: Wouldn't that be a spoiler?
The Author: Tells a good story but succombs to the temptation to sermonize.
V.K. Sansone
Very good book and the characters are like real people that you get to know and learn to care for. A really good read when you are sitting by the fireplace on a long winters night or curled on the couch wrapped in a throw and reading Shar's good books! Get them and enjoy! :)
Sandy
I felt like Dan fell in love too quickly. I mean in one sentence he's mourning his wife and the next sentence he's oogling Callie but who knows I'm not a guys so maybe that happens. Other than that it was a good read.
Colleen
Easy read, spiritually based. I personally enjoyed the characters and how they overcame their past while keeping their faith.
Lacy
3.8
Loved the story and the characters. There was a little too much scripture and such for my liking however, good book!
Lynnea
Great book! It was a little slow at the very beginning but then really picked up pace and I couldn't put it down!
Jen
New to me author. This was good, plot was believable & the scripture references were perfect.
Denise
Aug 23, 2008 Denise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YES!
This is another amazing book by Maclaren! She is such a talented author!
Elaine
Aug 13, 2009 Elaine marked it as to-read
749/674
Nithyasree
Nithyasree marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Judith Ndayishimiye
Judith Ndayishimiye marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Carri
Carri marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
After 31 years of teaching second and fourth grades, Shar decided to say, "Bye-bye, Students!" and "Hello, Writing World!" and it's been an interesting, exciting, challenging, and inspiring adventure. One thing she knows for certain—God dropped a seed of passion for writing in her heart back in the summer of 2000, and He's been growing it ever since. She signed on with Whitaker House Publishers in...more
More about Sharlene MacLaren...
Hannah Grace (Daughters of Jacob Kane, #1) Loving Liza Jane (Little Hickman Creek #1) Maggie Rose (Daughters of Jacob Kane #2) Sarah My Beloved (Little Hickman Creek #2) Courting Emma (Little Hickman Creek #3)