Start by marking “Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens” as Want to Read:
Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens

Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  274 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
If disaster strikes and public services are limited, you want to know that your family will be taken care of. With an eye toward self-sufficiency, Kathy Harrison guides you through preparations and contingency plans that will keep you healthy, safe, and calm in a crisis. Learn how to inventory and rotate your food supply, pack an evacuation kit, maintain communication with ...more
Published July 23rd 2008 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published July 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Just in Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just in Case

Patricia
Nov 30, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jennifer Lohmann
Recommended to Patricia by: Jenna Woginrich
Shelves: non-fiction
A great book for preparedness - not the crazy survivalist type, but everyday well-being. We've all had the power go out, or been snowed in, or been too sick to leave the house for several days. How would you fare in any of those situations? Could you eat, stay warm, have enough meds, flush the toilet(s), keep your kids from going bonkers with boredom?!? Just in Case will help you plan and prepare for almost any situation ranging from a 24-hour power outage to a months-long pandemic.

I was please
Neligh
Jul 29, 2009 Neligh rated it it was amazing
“If you must rely only on yourselves and the goods and resources in your home, can you still live comfortably and safely? If you must leave your home to find safety elsewhere, can you be out of your house in ten minutes, confident that your home is secure and that all family members know where you are going, how you will get there, and how to keep in touch with each other? Some planning now will ensure that your answer will be ‘yes’ when you need it to be.” (p.49)

I. The OAR System: Organize, Ac
Debra Kaitschuck
Oct 08, 2010 Debra Kaitschuck rated it really liked it
While some of the tips are "common sense" and much of the book was review for me because of the classes I've taken recently, I did find the book contained a lot of great reminders and resources. For example, I never would have thought to keep a copy of our cats' immunizations records with our vital records to grab & go in case of an evacuation, nor had the need for feeding & water bowls and trash bags for cat waste entered my mind in the case of an evacuation. I'd previously only thought ...more
Cathy
May 07, 2009 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Everyone needs to have this book on their bookshelf. It is very detailed with preparedness tips for every type of emergency. It also teaches many preparedness skills and has a large food storage recipe section.
Anne
Oct 18, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
Kathy Harrison presents a compelling look at why we are more at risk from systemic failures in the power, food, transportation and communication networks than ever before and offers ways for families to prepare to meet those challenges. This isn't a "survivalists" manual. It won't tell you how to live in a fortified bunker so you can be ready for the apocalypse. But it will tell you how to assess your family's exposure to risk, prioritize your planning and prepare for disasters of different degr ...more
Michelle
Jan 31, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
This is not an "extreme prepper's" viewpoint book. This is a book with a broad and thorough view of general preparedness for a typical family. I appreciated her ideas on dealing with children which most books gloss over as well as preparing your home if you have to evacuate. This is a very good read for anyone anywhere that might find themselves out-of-place after any natural disaster, a failure in supply chains, or a simple week without power in the dead of winter. This is a great choice for a ...more
Laura Hughes
May 22, 2015 Laura Hughes rated it it was ok
Shelves: how-to
Kathy Harrison's heartbreaking and cathartic and soaring foster care memoirs make her sound like a down-to-earth, practical person, which she no doubt is and must be to care so well for so many children, but her how-to guide to self-sufficiency has a weird, panicky, fanatical tone. It's hard to take her good suggestions, like knowing how to turn off the water main so you can do it in the dark if your heat goes out in winter to prevent your pipes from freezing, when they're mixed in with suggesti ...more
Cyndi
Oct 31, 2015 Cyndi rated it really liked it
This book provides a good overview of how to get prepared for an emergency and/or natural disaster. It's not very in-depth, so you'll probably need to consult other sources, but it's perfect if you're getting overwhelmed trying to figure out where to start.
Kayla
Jun 17, 2015 Kayla rated it really liked it
There is a lot of information here and it's a good starting point for anyone who is interested in learning about self-sufficiency and preparing for emergencies. It does seem a little pushy about the emergency preparedness. Overall an interesting read.
Lisa Kearns
Jun 24, 2013 Lisa Kearns rated it really liked it
This book covers many categories of family preparedness - food and water storage, heating (and the dangers of fire and carbon monoxide in the home), first aid, threats from weather, earthquakes or civil unrest, and basic information for someone just realizing how important these things are. The book is organized into easy to read chapters, with charts, drawings and bulleted blocks. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn how to keep their family safe, organized and unafraid in emergen ...more
Angela Boord
Jul 25, 2015 Angela Boord rated it really liked it
A re-read for me.... My copy is actually pretty beaten up from use. A good, basic book on emergency preparedness for regular people.
David A. Carey
Jul 01, 2016 David A. Carey rated it it was amazing
Well orgainzed, well written, lots of info in this book. I'd suggest it for anyone who wants to be prepared for most any emergency.
Pammy
May 07, 2009 Pammy rated it really liked it
Always a sucker for a deal and for many things practical, I thought I would preview this in hopes of suggesting it to others or giving it with a wedding gift this summer. Sound information is presented in a very accessible way. Much of the content was covered in the school of life with my ever-prepared mother, but I used the checklists for an emergency evacuation kit and a few of the recipes to supplement my favorite stash. A good "basic reference" for a new household or folks who may have lived ...more
Jeanette
Mar 03, 2013 Jeanette rated it liked it
Recommended to Jeanette by: People who like boring prepper books.
I have three words for this book: dry, dry, dry.

I saw the author on "Doomsday Preppers" and thought her book might be good. Unfortunately it lacks any kind of passion. The only topic throughout the book that you can tell that she is passionate about is environmental friendliness, or whatever you want to call it, but she is not talented enough of a writer to pass any of her dry passion along to the reader.

I gave the book 3 stars because the information she states is all useful and accurate--it
Donna
Jan 11, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
clear, concise
expert advice
easy follow
Staci
Sep 24, 2012 Staci rated it really liked it
This is a really good book about disaster preparedness and self-sufficiency, particularly for those with young families to think of. The author is a mom from the northeast and you get the sense that she has done everything she is writing about. This is not a he-man survival "expert" giving you the down-low on how to survive in the Amazon or the Artic Circle, this is a modern, everyday woman giving you good information on how to survive the disasters one would have a chance of experiencing in reg ...more
Ruthie Jones
Jul 30, 2010 Ruthie Jones rated it it was amazing
I love these types of books, and I am inspired to become prepared to live off the grid. I refuse to live in fear of disasters and other events that cause us to lose power, water, food, etc., but it pays to be prepared for all types of situations, even a short power outage. This book covers everything from getting yourself, family, home, and car into a state of preparedness to tips on handling emergencies to basic skills needed in case you have to live off the grid short-term and long-term. Very ...more
Scolaro
Sep 28, 2012 Scolaro rated it really liked it
Shelves: knowledge
Very interesting, even if you're not a crazy conspiracy freak who believes the end is near. ;)
The last pages about terrorist attacks weren't absolutely necessary, in my opinion, and many general hints and tips are aimed at people who live in a (their own?) house. However, to a certain degree most of the hints are quite sensible, especially when you live in areas that are prone to certain kinds of natural disasters, e. g. forest fires or heavy storms.
Jessica
I stopped reading this book for over a month because I just didn't really feel like it, but I still think it's a great resource and worth reading for anyone who is interested in disaster preparedness. It's basically a primer on how to stockpile enough at home to be able to survive for up to a few months without help from any outside resources. Lots of advice on what to do in case of all sorts of different types of disasters you might encounter.
Michelle
Jun 13, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Absolutely excellent book filled with valuable information about preparing your family for a variety of emergencies (storms, lengthy power outages, home evacuations). An easy read, well laid out with detailed step by step procedures and methods for personalization. Every family should consider this book as the foundation of their own plan for when the unexpected happens.
Malina
Sep 19, 2009 Malina rated it really liked it
Shelves: help
A well written preparedness guide, this book takes you step by step through what to do to make your own family well prepared for any emergency. I think this is the best book of its type I've read, keeping its focus, knowing the material and presenting options while discussing what kind of choices are better in different situations. Stuff to learn for pretty much anyone.
Anna
Oct 21, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing
This is a GREAT reference book for Emergency Preparedness. I learned so much, and liked how the book was organized for easy reference. Even some good food storage recipes too. I liked it's reasonable ideas on how to improve your family's emergency preparedness from a mainstream, non-church perspective.
Mike
Mar 20, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-sufficiency
This is a great book for those who want to be ready when your boat gets rocked. It is an excellent reference filled with ideas and directions on how to be prepared for nearly any catastrophe and how to continue on with life without things like fossil fuels or electricity.
Ann Love
Dec 04, 2009 Ann Love rated it liked it
A good start to getting prepared and being self-sufficient. It is much more accessible for average people who just want to be less reliant on the grid and global food systems. This book is infinitely less alarmist or extreme than a lot I have tried to plod through.
Tara
Sep 02, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Worriers, Boy Scouts and Survivalists
Pray that you will never need this information, but it is good to be prepared. This is a straightforward, very handy book, especially given all the bad weather in New Orleans and the recent fires in California. It even has recipes for no electricity/emergency cooking!
michelle
Apr 22, 2012 michelle rated it really liked it
loved other storey pub books (country life for realists & dreamers is a big fav of mine) also read kathy harrison's non fiction foster family books so this was a neat read for me - very good info! i am already implementing some of her ideas
Stefanie
Oct 30, 2008 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Stefanie by: Providence Journal
A must-read for moms, especially those who like to be prepared for the unexpected, (and don't we all ;o) Now I'm pricing wood stoves and fire wood; you may even catch me gardening this spring (yeah, try and contain your smirks!)
Michael
Aug 28, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to-reference
A comprehensive guide to self-sufficiency, from emergency evacuation to suggestions for making cheese at home. The author may come off as frugal or old-fashioned, but she really knows her stuff. A very good addition to the library.
Anna
Jan 26, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
Just in Case is a good, basic beginner book to get you thinking. I like the way she focuses on figuring out which kinds of disasters are most likely in your neck of the woods.
Tracy
Mar 19, 2011 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: homesteading
good book for those who don't have any emergency plan. Much of it is common sense that many people are lacking in. Easy to read format makes it less daunting than som eother emergency planning books.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficien 1 3 Apr 26, 2012 06:00PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficien 1 5 Apr 22, 2012 11:32AM
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • The Renewable Energy Handbook: A Guide to Rural Independence, Off-Grid and Sustainable Living
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • The New Create an Oasis with Greywater: Choosing, Building, and Using Greywater Systems, Includes Branched Drains
  • How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living