Start by marking “In the Presence of Fear: Three Essays for a Changed World” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
In the Presence of Fea...

Wendell Berry

In the Presence of Fear: Three Essays for a Changed World (New Patriotism Series #1)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  207 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Contains three insightful essays:
1. Thoughts in the presence of fear.
2. The idea of a local economy.
3. In distrust of movements.

Clear thinking about the state of the world and frames of reference for moving forward toward environmental, economic and social sustainability.
44 pages
Published 2001 by The Orion Society

To ask other readers questions about In the Presence of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Presence of Fear

Katie
Jul 01, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, food
This slim volume packs a big punch. The first essay is one of the most thoughtful and non-American-centric critiques of the 9-11 tragedy. With humility Wendell Berry reflects on how this event challenged our prosperity mindset and how it should guide our future toward a more local, caring economy.

The second essay explores the local economy in greater depth. Berry criticizes the false promise of global prosperity perpetuated by the current economic and governmental ideologies. After laying bare t
Michael
Jun 13, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book worth sharing with all of your neighbors and reading with all of your friends. This is the movement we need for America and the world. Local, vocational, radical. I couldn't recommend it enough. Here's a sentence that I may use for an epigraph: "The outward harmony that we desire between our economy and the world depends finally upon an inward harmony between our own hearts and the originating that is the life of all creatures, a spirit as near us as our own flesh and yet forever ...more
Marshall
Apr 29, 2016 Marshall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely imperative read for anybody existing within the culture of the world today. Urgent, timeless, unquestioningly significant and pertaining to all those qualifying as a consumer in the post industrial society, ESPECIALLY in America. It will strike a deep chord to those who care at all about the wellbeing of the planet and humanity. Encouraging us to love symbiotically with the earth or face autonomy, oppression, and extinction. you must read this.. Change Your Perspective!
John
Oct 23, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berry never fails to engage me, and this collection is no different. Written in the aftermath of 9/11, the first essay in particular is something of a call to change our ways in light of that tragedy. In particular, Berry seems 9/11 as the crushing of economic and technological optimism that characterized much of the '90s. We need a new direction, one that is more human, more localized, and more peaceable. I couldn't agree more.
James Hatton
Nov 22, 2014 James Hatton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is utterly brief, forty four short pages. But there's a lot here. I can't explain this book. It must be read to be understood. The reader may not agree with what's written here, but their mind will have something in it that was probably not there before. Hopefully, I'll reread this book someday.
Brian Tucker
Aug 20, 2014 Brian Tucker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It is the replacement of vocation with economic determinism that the exterior workings of a total economy destroy the character and culture also from the inside."

"Our economy needs to know--and care--what it is doing. This is revolutionary, of course, if you have a taste for revolution, but it is also a matter of common sense."

Berry's essays are timely. 5/5
Brendan M.
Mar 31, 2016 Brendan M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is real good. I don't want to call it "essential" reading, but it's very short - 44 pages! 3 essays! - and a lot of the things Berry talks about are relevant to this particular moment in American life.
Tonia Peckover
Jan 21, 2016 Tonia Peckover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three short essays addressing the culture of fear, the local economy, and a distrust of movements. Excellent as always.
Rich
Mar 06, 2014 Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, nature
A profound work that all those concerned with long-term solution to our economic woes should read.
Racheal
Written in response to 9/11, this book still holds its own today. Wendell Berry's writing is so full of beauty and wisdom no matter what he seems to be writing about--poetry, small town life, or in this case, issues such as the importance of land stewardship and problems with the global economy and "free trade".

This book is a slim 44 pages, but it is chalk full of things to think about. Berry is a master at saying something important with very few words.

"A change of heart or values without a pr
David
Jul 28, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am now a Wendell Berry fan. The only thing keeping this book from being a 5-star is the lead essay's wholesale acceptance of the official story on 9/11. Please. There are serious holes and questions left unanswered, and intellectual integrity requires at least some reflection on that fact. The other essays show Berry to be a thinker in the best possible way on some of the most important issues facing contemporary society. Good dirt, or should I say, soil.
jeremy
Nov 28, 2007 jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
the patriot act is 342 pages, while the first part of this book, "thoughts in the presence of fear" is a mere 9. guess which one was the more measured response.

xx: the aim and result of war necessarily is not peace but victory, and any victory won by violence necessarily justifies the violence that won it and leads to further violence...
Brian
May 03, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Chesterton and Lewis. And lovers of their country and world.
What these three essays, written in the wake of 9/11 and/or in response to it, lose to outdated-ness they more than make up for with timeless wisdom. Berry is a keen thinker whose reasoning is sound, who communicates lucidly, and is rooted in a rich life-giving tradition.
Doug
Jan 17, 2009 Doug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, another book from my wife's school reading list at Eckerd that held my interest. Incisive from one of our best critics of "Total Economy" and proponents of the Local Economy. I'd only read Wendell's poetry prior to this, and I wasn't disappointed. A GOOD READ!
Scott
Jan 21, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short essays would actually be a great intro to Wendell and some of the spirit of his writings.

Not a lot that needs to be said. Every time I read him, Berry solidifies his place very near the top of my list.
Meredith
Sep 06, 2007 Meredith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
interesting especially reading just after 9/11
Keriann
May 11, 2007 Keriann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yay Wendell Berry! That is all.
Eric
Mar 10, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life.
M.
Apr 17, 2008 M. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, politics
ugh
Kacy
Kacy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Monica Labush
Monica Labush rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Sean Baird
Sean Baird marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Paul Mauer
Paul Mauer marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Kirstin Olson
Kirstin Olson is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2016
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Christina Iluzada
Christina Iluzada marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
  • Riverwalking: Reflections on Moving Water
  • The Open Space of Democracy
  • The Lakotas and the Black Hills: The Struggle for Sacred Ground
  • Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed
  • Voices from the Storm: The People of New Orleans on Hurricane Katrina and Its Aftermath
  • Letters to a Diminished Church: Passionate Arguments for the Relevance of Christian Doctrine
  • Confronting Collapse: The Crisis of Energy and Money in a Post Peak Oil World: A 25-Point Program for Action
  • Travels with Barley: A Journey Through Beer Culture in America
  • The Best American Essays 2008
  • The Dream of the Earth
  • The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perseverance and Hope in Troubled Times
  • Lucifer's Legacy: The Meaning of Asymmetry
  • Desert Notes/River Notes
  • Power Politics
Wendell Berry is a conservationist, farmer, essayist, novelist, professor of English and poet. He was born August 5, 1934 in Henry County, Kentucky where he now lives on a farm. The New York Times has called Berry the "prophet of rural America."
More about Wendell Berry...

New Patriotism Series (4 books)
  • Patriotism and the American Land