Start by marking “The Glass Lake” as Want to Read:
The Glass Lake

The Glass Lake

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  17,691 Ratings  ·  726 Reviews
Kit McMahon lives in the small Irish town of Lough Glass, where everyone knows everyone; children who walk to school together grow up and become sweethearts and marry, people gossip and grumble and dream their lives away. For it is a place where change comes slowly. One day, Kit's mother disappears and the town gossips run wild with stories. The consequences for Helen's hu ...more
Published June 29th 2005 by The Orion Publishing Group Ltd (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Glass Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glass Lake

Limonessa
Aug 02, 2011 Limonessa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women who love too much
Recommended to Limonessa by: Flannery and Maja
Shelves: adult-fiction
2.5/3 stars

Well, this should at least serve as an admonition to all women on how a MAN should never ever be the fulcrum around which a woman's life rotates, making him the centre of her universe.

The story - my first Maeve Binchy book ever - is set in the 50s and revolves around the lives of various families in the small village of Lough Glass, Ireland, during a span of about 10 years. Among this rather extensive set of characters, stars Helen McMahon alias Lena Gray, a desperate woman whose a
Ahmad Sharabiani
The glass Lake, Maeve Binchy
عنوان: دریاچه شیشه ای؛ نویسنده: مائیو بنچی؛ مترجم: قدسی گلریز؛ تهران، نشر روزگار، 1377؛ در 3 جلد؛ در 1268 ص؛ شابک دوره: 9646675255؛ چاپ چهارم 1379؛ چاپ دیگر (ششم) سه جلد در یک مجلد؛ تهران، روزگار، 1381؛ در 984 ص؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان ایرلندی - مادران و دختران - قرن 20 م
مترجم: محمد دانیالی؛ تهران، سمیر، 1391، در 568 ص، شابک: 9789642201891؛
Alexandra Ray
Aug 15, 2012 Alexandra Ray rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Alexandra by: Sabby
I... have no clue how to start writing this review. This is the story of lives, lives affected by secrets and lies and choices made by a handful of people. We watch as the consequences of those choices shape the lives of so many people over a span of about ten years. Naturally for a story that has to span that amount of time, it took some time also to get into it. It took at least 100 pages (which isn't much considering how long it is) and a couple hundred more before I absolutely could not put ...more
Melindam
Lovely, heartwarming story in the usual Maeve Binchy-style. Full review to come.
Amy Hillis
May 17, 2009 Amy Hillis rated it really liked it
I love me some Maeve Binchy. When I read her books, I want to be Irish, own a pub, and live in a tiny town. I can hardly read one of her books without developing a fierce hankering for corned beef and cabbage.

In typical Binchy style - we're immediately drawn into the life of a simple family in a largely nondescript - yet still engaging - town. In this book, a mother struggles continuing life in her family and she makes a choice that changes her husband, children, and self forever. A simple choi
Suzanne
Jun 09, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
I read this many years ago, I will endeavour to read it again this year. This was a haunting tale of a woman deeply unhappy and a poor husband left to pick up the pieces for the rest of his family. One of the first Maeve's books I read.

I really do enjoy re-reading these books as it brings back memories from my teenage years and it's nice to rekindle the memories of my first 'grown up' books I tackled. I love revisiting them for this reason, but mostly as I simply adore this author's work!
Susan
Nov 17, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Naeem Nedaee
چون این جا تفکیکی برای دوجلد وجود ندارد،ریویو را سه قسمت می کنم.مقدمه،ریویوی جلد یک و ریویوی جلد دو.
مقدمه
مدتها بود گودریدز درست برایم باز نمی شد و خیلی از این بابت ناراحت بودم.امشب هم بدون این که امید خاصی داشته باشم بازش کردم و خدا را شکر این بار سالم بود!و چه وقت خوبی.وقتی که هنوز یک ساعت از تمام شدن جلد دوی دریاچه ی شیشه ای نمی گذرد و خیلی حرف راجع بهش دارم.
هنوز باورم نمی شود نزدیک هزارصفحه ی این کتاب دوجلدی را خواندم و تمام کردم.خیلی سریع نبود،ولی حین خواندن گاهی که نگاهم به شماره صفحه می اف
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 29, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
At first I wasn't sure about this book. It seemed a little too trivial, but I stand corrected, because The Glass Lake has a lot more to it than meets the eye. Eerie, sometimes humorous, often gripping, this book is definitely a memorable one. :)
Abbylockhart
Nov 04, 2012 Abbylockhart rated it it was amazing
i have read this book more than once,it is probably my favourite.everytime i read it, i feel like i am living in this village, i'm going to school with the kids, i search for helen in the lake. and then i somehow transfer to the big city, and i live next door to lina and lewis. i go to work with them, i write letters to kit, i organize this dance-event. the characters are very "alive", vivid,very colourful, not plain, not shallow. a bit self-centered or obnoxious, maybe...I feel lina as a differ ...more
Marilyn
May 30, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Maeve Binchy is a wonderful story teller. This is along complicated family tale. Her characters are so real that you can reach out and touch them. I recommend Maeve Binchy to whomever wants to be lost in a book.
Tina
Aug 06, 2011 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is one of my all-time favourite books - I think partly because of how it got me through what could have been an awful travel day. I picked it up as bulk paperback at the Ottawa airport just before Christmas in, I think, 1995. I had never heard of Maeve Binchy, but it was a fat novel and I was pretty sure it was going to be a long day, as I was flying back to visit my family in northern BC, and it was one of those awful Canadian winters. My plane ended up having to detour through Toronto, th ...more
Claire
Dec 20, 2009 Claire rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It was so engrossing and enthralling and all those over adjectives that start with e. The main character was so relatable, and I especially enjoyed her tumultuous friendship with Clio - it was so realistic.
But really, I just love how Binchy writes. The way she skips from scene to scene keeps you interested.
And, SUCH satisfying ending.
All in all, a book I will revisit time and time again, despite its 700+ page count :)
Sep 22, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in the early 2000s and haven't been able to stop reading it. I read it in full at least once a year but routinely just go back to read specific chapters all the time. I find I've gotten different things out of the book each time I read it. This title will remain on my shelf for years to come.
Amanda
May 12, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kit McMahon is a young girl living in the small village of Lough Glass, where everyone knows each other. She is believed to live a charmed life - has a doting mother and father, a brother she gets on well with, many friends (including the shallow but vivacious Clio Kelly). One night Kit's mother Helen goes out walking and never comes back - after months of searching, a body is found and Kit mourns the mother she has lost. At the same time we start following the story of Lena Gray in London, an u ...more
Ariel
Mar 14, 2008 Ariel rated it it was ok
WOW! ok so I really liked the beginning of this book. it was haunting & mysterious. and then i HATED one of the main characters. and i couldn't get over what an idiot she was. but i finished it. and it was only ok. and i don't recommend it to anyone! the only thing i liked about this book is that this horrible woman leaves her husband & family to be with another man... and it all falls apart with man #2. basically she gets what she deserves and regrets being an idiot. that was a TINY bit ...more
Diana
Jan 29, 2015 Diana rated it it was ok
The two stars in not an indication that Ms. Binchy was a bad writer...that just is not the case. Ms. Binchy could develop characters better than any writer of contemporary romance fiction & the way she introduced a ton of characters to the reader, and keep them all straight is pure alchemy. No, I just plain did not care for any of the characters in this entire 700 page novel. I especially detested the weak & pathetic main female protagonist. The story line just seemed to plod along & ...more
Angela
Jun 19, 2009 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book at the very start. You follow two young girls, Kit (Mary Katherine) and Clio, while learning about their town of Lough Glass. The whole story is more about Kit and her family. Her father, Martin, is the town pharmacist. Her mother, Helen, was in love with another man when she met Martin and married. Her younger brother, Emmett, has a stutter that means he gets teased a lot by the other children.

The pivotal point in the book comes when Kit, and others in town, realize Helen is m
riverlight
This is one of my favorite books, one I can reread over and over. It's set in a small town in Ireland in the 1950s, where Helen MacMahon's daughter Kit struggles with Helen's decision to marry the safe-and-secure man she doesn't love (Kit's father) and what happens when Helen decides that safe decision is killing her spirit. (I'm trying not to spoil!)

We then get to watch Kit grow up, move on, fall in love, struggle with how to stay friends with someone she's outgrown, come to terms with family
Shannon
Jul 11, 2009 Shannon rated it really liked it
This book had some parts that semmed to drag on & was a bit predictable, which is why I only gave it 4 stars. Once I got passed the slow beginning, it pulled me in & I didn't want to put it down. In my own personal prejudices, I never thought I could feel for a mother who abandons her children. But this book allowed me to not only feel for her character but to love her & abandon my judgements against her (& others who I've known to make these kinds of choices). It's a great book ...more
Carissa
Apr 28, 2008 Carissa rated it really liked it
listened to this one on audio–21 discs! holy longness. read by barbara caruso who is a masterful narrator, i was able to stick with this story until the end, but at about disc 9 i was wondering what the heck else the story was going to be about and… it kept going! by the end, i cared deeply for the main characters and was sad to see the story end. a story of serious miscommunications with dire, life-changing results. i liked it less than scarlet feather, but i think that was because s.f. had foo ...more
Kim
Sep 12, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Anna recommends highly. Anna was right, I was so drawn into the characters of this small town in Ireland and the main character Kit was someone I would like to know. I like how she wrote of the main story line but kept you following the other character's lives as well. This would have been a good bookclub read. There were so many parallels between people and chiices that were taken that it does make you think of hereditary traits. I don't want to give the story away but it was a great read.
Jenn
Oct 22, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: slice-of-life
I enjoy Maeve Binchy's books and I really liked this one except for the ending. As long as the book was, and as detailed it was, I was disappointed in the hasty ending. Otherwise the story was engaging because you were wondering if the fact that Lena was alive would be revealed to the rest of her family and how they would deal with it.

If you've read Tara Road, Quentin's, or Scarlet Feather and enjoyed the stories, you will enjoy this one as well.
Janet
Aug 26, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
A great story of a family torn apart when the mother disappears and everyone thinks she drowned in Glass Lake. I liked the characters even the mother who gives up her family for the one man she thinks she loves only to find out what a mistake she made and what she really gave up. The story doesn't just focus on the characters but a lot on the difficult choices we have to make in life.
April
Mar 24, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent. Maeve Binchy has the ability to bring the characters to life. The endings are never expected and they are very real. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to just curl up and get comfortable with a great book. My only warning is that you may not be able to put it down!
Mae
Jan 05, 2013 Mae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ireland
I started this book in search of Maeve Binchy, trying to figure out why she is so popular. She might not be a scholar but she certainly is a fantastic storyteller and she tells the stories of Ireland so well. The more I read her the more I like reading her books. A lovely, strange story, much like Ireland.
Lauren
Sep 16, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
I've got a soft spot in my heart for English, Scottish and Irish writers, especially when the books are set in earlier decades. This book is very sad at times, but the character development is superb. It reminds me a lot of my favorite Scottish author, Rosamunde Pilcher.
Nicole Richardson
Mar 18, 2016 Nicole Richardson rated it really liked it
This book really grabbed me and held me. There are several characters you love, hate, then love again (or hate.) I loved the era and the setting. I will be reading more by this author.
Geralyn Laporte
Jul 26, 2012 Geralyn Laporte rated it really liked it
Although I felt I knew parts of the story I was amazed how the story unfolded and I miss the characters, so it must have been a really good book. This story will be with me for a long time.
Kelly
Nov 25, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
A light read that completely entertains.
Cathy
Oct 26, 2016 Cathy rated it really liked it
Very good. Love this author & books set in Ireland.
The Glass Lake 1 44 Dec 06, 2008 05:04PM
  • September
  • Paradise House
  • Village Secrets (Tales from Turnham Malpas #5)
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Up Island
  • Never Too Late
  • The Secrets We Keep
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
More about Maeve Binchy...

“It was so silly to try to define things by words. What did one person mean by infatuation or obsession and another mean by love. The whole thing couldn't be tidied away with neat little labels." - Lena Gray” 14 likes
“But an intelligent man like you would know that to live in an unrealistic hope is a very foolish way to spend a life." - Lena Gray” 6 likes