Start by marking “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” as Want to Read:
The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  438,502 Ratings  ·  14,967 Reviews
Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination, but an answer.

In heaven, five people explain yo
Paperback, First, 196 pages
Published September 23rd 2003 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Five People You Meet in Heaven, please sign up.

Sammy very very very very i can not stress enough this is the best book by far to pick for an english class or ar.
Linda M The Time Keeper and The First Phone Call From Heaven are both amazing too!!
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Anna QuindlenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
120th out of 42,891 books — 161,038 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Books of the Decade: 2000s
36th out of 5,398 books — 25,426 voters

More lists with this book...

AJ Griffin
Jul 27, 2007 AJ Griffin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drippy, sentimental pieces of shit who love lifetime tv movies
what providence: i just remembered this book after I read some holier-than-though pretentious bullshit Mitch Albom wrote about Harry Potter. Mr. Albom-Winfrey seems to think the mass marketing of Harry Potter has ruined the theoretical lives of such figures as Winnie the Pooh, Clifford, Curious George, etc., despite that his own shitty books have been thrust upon the world under the same kind of marketing blitz.

As if I weren't annoyed enough at his article, I was subsequently reminded of this l
Fretty
Oct 10, 2007 Fretty rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: novel
"Lost love is still love, Eddie. It just takes a different form, that's all. You can't hold their hand... You can't tousle their hair... But when those senses weaken another one comes to life... Memory... Memory becomes your partner. You hold it... you dance with it... Life has to end, Eddie... Love doesn't."

The book that taught me the idea of death, God and life's never ending unanswered questions.

I vaguely remember when exactly I read this but I remember I read this couple of months before I
Gunne
Jul 08, 2009 Gunne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don't understand the one star reviews for the book. Are these directed to the author, Mitch Albom, because he openly dissed the Harry Potter phenomena via a 594-word short story? Because as far as I can tell, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a decent piece of literature that doesn't deserve the harsh punishment (presumably) directed to its writer. It's well-written, has a handful of good quotes, and is overall an inspiring and personal take on one's idea of the moment between death and th ...more
Jamie
Aug 20, 2008 Jamie rated it did not like it
One of the great things about checking out audiobooks from the public library is that I can take a chance on something I normally wouldn't buy, and I end up loving it. And then, of course, there are the times I take a chance on something I wouldn't normally like and end up really hating it as predicted. See if you can guess which is the case here by the end of this post.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is about Eddie, an amusement park maintenance guy who dies and goes to heaven. Spoiler alert
Ben
Mar 05, 2010 Ben rated it did not like it
My face tightens into a mean spirited frown, I grind my teeth, my head starts to burn, I clench my fists, I begin to tremble; there is a tightness in my stomach. I rip the telephone off the wall and throw it out my nine-story window onto the street; I let out a barbaric, guttural, king-of-the-jungle, ape-like scream. I feel my pulse beating in my neck, a blood vessel snaps in the back of my head. I flip over my couch, CRASH! I kick a hole in the middle of my T.V. I like that my shin is cut, blee ...more
Claire
Jul 20, 2007 Claire rated it it was ok
I never had any desire to read this book (or Tuesdays with Morrie for that matter), but a girl in my LSAT class gave it to me to read, so I felt like I had to read it.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is an incredibly quick read. It has small pages with big font and the content is not at all challenging. You could easily read this book in a weekend. That said, I don't know if you would want to. While the book was mildly entertaining and held my interest (I kept wanting to know who Eddie would
Joelle

By Mitch Albom
208pp Passaic, New Jersey
ISBN-13: 9781401308582
Hyperion $10.80

This book was so amazing that it remained on the New York Best Seller List for 95 weeks. If the book wasn’t that marvelous why would it have remained there? Mitch Albom’s book The Five People You Meet In Heaven is an extraordinary book. You might think it’s a religious book because the title itself, but it isn’t.
Kellie
Jun 02, 2013 Kellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2006-reads
أروى
Jul 20, 2010 أروى rated it really liked it
منذ مدة طويييلة لم أقرأ شيئا لامس أعماقي كهذا الكتاب، يجعلني أطرق وأفكر ، أنظر للبعيد الماضي وأتسائل عن القريب المقبل..

الكتاب يتحدث عن رجل مات في حادث أثناء تأديته لعمله في مدينة الملاهي ، بعد ذلك ينتقل هذا الرجل "إدي" إلى الجنة ليقابل هناك 5 أشخاص تقاطعوا معه بطريقة أو بأخرى في حياته..كل منهم كان ينتظره ليحكي له قصة كان لها تأثير على حياته وعلى تقرير مصيره في الدنيا، كانوا يساعدونه على فهم وتفسير كثير من الأمور التي لم يكن لها منطق واضح وقتها...

القصة مثيرة وترابط الأحداث متقن يظهر كم هي مصائر ا
Jonathan Ashleigh
Nov 20, 2015 Jonathan Ashleigh rated it it was ok
I get why old religious women might like this book, but it wasn't for me.
Roos
Jul 30, 2007 Roos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends
Shelves: novelia, indonesian
Buku yang bagus terutama bagi yang suka memaknai dan menghargai Hidup, membuat kita untuk selalu bersyukur kepada Sang Pencipta.

Pelajaran 1:
Tidak ada kehidupan yang sia-sia. Satu-satunya waktu yang kita sia-siakan adalah waktu yang kita habiskan dengan mengira kita hanya sendirian.

Pelajaran 2:
Pengorbanan bagian dari kehidupan, bukan untuk disesali jika mengorbankan sesuatu yang berharga, karena kita tidak sungguh-sungguh kehilangan itu, Kita hanya meneruskannya pada orang lain.

Pelajaran 3:
MAAF.
Mikha ϟ
Jul 28, 2014 Mikha ϟ rated it really liked it
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom
عنوان: پنج نفری که در بهشت به ملاقات شما میآیند؛ نویسنده: میج آبوم؛ مترجم: مریم زوینی؛ شابک: 9644181131؛
عنوان: در بهشت پنج نفر منتظر شما هستند؛ نویسنده: میج آلبوم؛ مترجم: پاملا یوخانیان؛ تهران، کاروان، 1384، چاپ دیگر: تهران، نشر قطره، 1389، در 176 ص؛ شابک: 9786001191824
پنج وعده دیدار در بهشت، مترجم: الهه مرعشی، نشر حافظ نوین، اردیبهشت 1386 در 288 صفحه
پنج نفری که در بهشت ملاقات می کنید، مترجم: مژگان حسن زاده، نشر جیحون، آبان 1388 در 160 صفحه
پنج نفری
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Apr 12, 2016 Aj the Ravenous Reader rated it really liked it
The title alone got me reading this book and more when I found out the Mitch Albom wrote it since I am a big fan of his Tuesday's with Morrie. Though I did not like this book as much as I did Tuesday's, Mitch Albom again succeeded in inspiring his readers and moving them to have uniquely fresh view of death just like what he did in Tuesday's.
Rachel
Apr 27, 2008 Rachel rated it did not like it
This is just the most awful book I have ever read. I hate this book!
Shovelmonkey1
Jun 05, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people waiting for christmas
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: sheer profusion in local charity shops
I read this at Christmas but frankly after eating too many roasted vegetables, drinking too much merlot and making myself a comfortable nest out of discarded wrapping paper, I was disinclined to write a review. It's now six months later and I think I've finally worked off the last roasted potato so this seems like a timely juncture to write a review of The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Eddie works at the amusement park on the Ruby Pier. He's 83 and probably due for retirement. On his birthday,
Lizzy _3
This book is very imaginative I'll give the author that much at least. I don't know if I liked the story so much as the way it was written. Don't get me wrong, the story was very creative and it made you think, but he wrote so poetically it was hard for the words not to sink into your soul. The story was about a old crippled man named Eddie. Eddie worked at an amusement park called Ruby Pier and he was the head maintenance worker. The book starts on the day of his death. There was this little gi ...more
Paul
Mar 02, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-novels
Not at all my normal fare, but it was a last thing at night read. I am a sceptic, so again this would not be a book that would attract me; it’s not that I like the idea of the cessation of existence at death, but I think that’s what happens. So how come I read this? Occasionally I buy books at auction because they can be very cheap; this came with assorted others, so ended up on the shelves.
It’s very brief and could easily be read in one sitting and is about a fairground worker called Eddie. It
Liz Janet
Dec 18, 2015 Liz Janet rated it did not like it
Extreme simplification, ridiculous writing style, nonsense. Honestly, whatever this author was trying to do, whether making me cry tears of blood, philosophy over the meaning of life, or discover my connection with those around me, but he failed miserably at all of them.

How on the history of time was this book on the Bestseller list for over ninety weeks? I weep for humanity.
Amy (shoutame)
Feb 19, 2016 Amy (shoutame) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I initially gave this book 4/5 stars but I have since moved it down to 3/5 stars. I thought it was a good read but I now feel that I wouldn’t read it again. The story centres around an elderly man who dies at the beginning of the book. The man goes to heaven and there he meets with five different people. These people have different connections to his life, some of them he knows and some of them he has never knowingly met before. Mitch Albom gave an interesting perspective on what may happen to u ...more
Harun Harahap
Apr 15, 2009 Harun Harahap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya, fiksi, terjemahan
seperti buku2 Mitch Albom lainnya, di buku ni alur ceritanya pun maju mundur..mungkin ni ciri khasnya..oiya diantara babnya pasti ada tulisan2 khusus di masa lampau..*gw suka gaya lo..hihihi..*

sesuai dengan judul bukunya, Eddie, Sang tokoh utama menemui 5 orang di alam baka setelah kematiannya itu..dan setiap orang yg ia temui memberikan satu pelajaran kepada Eddie..

Orang pertama mengajarkan klo hidup semua orang itu saling berkaitan..kita tidak menyadari mungkin di saat kita bergembira..di sudu
Trudi
I didn’t read this book when everyone was in love with it, cheering it, championing its readability, its imagination, its magical splendor. Nor did I read it when the inevitable backlash kicked in, when it was accused of being trite, overly sentimental manipulative dreck, one of the worst books to be foisted upon Western literature. The fervor has since died down on both sides and at last this book found its way to me. Which side would I fall on?

Well I must be a sentimentalist, for I just absol
Jeff
May 31, 2008 Jeff rated it did not like it
If I met this book in Heaven, I would be very disappointed.
And, OK, I only read about fifteen pages, but that was enough.
You don't have to eat 130 bowls of shredded wheat to know that you can't stand it.

And I actually sort of liked his book about the old guy, and I guess his dog book is probably pretty awesome and all, but, oh man, this book, excruciating...
for fifteen pages...but, really, that's a pretty good chunk of this.
Karlie
Feb 03, 2009 Karlie rated it it was amazing
The book, The Five People you Meet in Heaven, is about a man named Eddie, that on his 83rd birthday, got killed in a tragic accident at an amusement park, trying to save a little girl. As Eddie is dying, he feels two hands in his, than his world rapidly goes black. He awakens and the skies are changing colors above him, and every wound he had on his body is now healed. Throughout Eddie's journey, he meets five people. People he has not met before, or people he has only came across once, but have ...more
Hanna
Dec 06, 2015 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boring, adult
I first gave this 2 stars, I still don't know why, then I made them three stars. And now it's been three months and I still think about this book and its beautiful meaning and it's only fair if I give it four. I'll definitely be re-reading this soon.
Brooke
Nov 17, 2008 Brooke rated it did not like it
The most boring book ever written.
Hissa Reads
Jul 15, 2015 Hissa Reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was lovely, reassuring and just amazing.
I liked the book mostly because it gave an astonishing perspective not only about heaven but about life itself!
And oh, I found it very cool that the book started with "The End" like how cool is that? You start a book with the ending of it's main character "Eddie". But is it really the ending?

The idea of Mitch's heaven is that when you die, you go to heaven and meet five people who will explain to you why you're life was the way it was
Kimmy
Apr 29, 2010 Kimmy rated it really liked it
The five people yo meet in heaven starts out with a grumpy old man named Eddie. The reader in unaware of his past and why he is so lonely. Eddie works ar a carnival which has deeper meaning to him than just spinning rides and cotton candy stands. On his 83 birthday he had no idea it would be his last. Saving an innocent girl from a broken carnival ride, he gave his life. Now sent to heaven he meets five people who remind him of his past. They show how he affected the world in a way that was unc ...more
Tasos Anastasopoulos
May 24, 2011 Tasos Anastasopoulos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tasos by: Ellen Isabella
Shelves: kindle
First of all i owe a huge thanks to the person that recommended me to read this book... and in general to start reading Mitch Albom's novels. I find it first of all original that he's dealing with a unique kind of subject,how can heaven really be like. It's remarkable how he's managed in not so many pages to mention so many things... "5 people you meet in heaven" is an hymn to some very fundamental values of life, the writer being a sport's journalist himself seems to be aware that it takes no c ...more
Abigail Amor
This book is one of the manifestations that a book can transform.
The five people you meet in heaven did potently moved me.
Spectacularly written story!
Genre? 7 42 Apr 27, 2016 07:38AM
The Five People You Meet in Heaven (uhhh yea.. whats this?) 49 525 Mar 02, 2016 02:06AM
safe 3 48 Feb 16, 2016 10:57AM
  • Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas
  • The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box, #1)
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • The Song of Names
  • Noli Me Tángere
  • Lisa And David
  • Gidget (Gidget series, #1)
  • Letters for Emily
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.
More about Mitch Albom...

“All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time.” 4091 likes
“All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair.” 2625 likes