Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 18: Scenery for a Doomsday (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #18)

Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 18: Scenery for a Doomsday (Naoki Urasawa's Monster #18)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  633 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Johan is a cold and calculating killer with a mysterious past, and brilliant Dr. Kenzo Tenma is the only one who can stop him! Conspiracy and serial murder open the door to a compelling, intricately woven plot in this masterpiece manga thriller.

A diabolical monster has transformed Ruhenheim, a little village nestled in the German countryside, into hell on earth - and his n...more
Published December 16th 2008 by VIZ Media (first published February 28th 2002)

Paul
One of the best serial dramas, ever. This is the final volume of a masterpiece in storytelling. I've been a fan of the serial drama since I was very young. Some television series have recently managed to do it well (Buffy & Babylon 5 for instance). This is definitely one of the best examples you can find. Dozens of characters, multiple intertwining plot lines that all come together in a fantastic way over 18 volumes of manga. No fantasy or superheroes in this "comic book" just a great manhun...more
After 2 years I have finally finished this manga series!!

It was a long haul and 18 volumes, but the finish was awesome. Love this series - lots of ethical questions about forgiveness, absolute evil, value of life . . . plus all sorts of action.
M.
I have been reading this series over the past year or so but have not been "recording" it here, so this entry stands for the entirety of the series.

This is probably the first truly "epic in scale" narrative that I have read in quite some time--probably since I put up some pretense that I was going to read every canonical classic while in high school. It is good too; events and characters matter, and the story is very engaging and, well, suspenseful actually.

The entire mythology developed around...more
Mikael Kuoppala
And so it ends. Did the ending of “Monster,” an epic, impossibly complex but extremely readable saga by Naoki Urasawa do its job? I dare say it did. It’s obvious that this series contained more characters, themes and events that could ever be completely wrapped up on every level, but “Scenery for a Doomsday” left me satisfied. It has an epic feel of closure- which it offers on a plot level- and the characters get surprisingly well built final scenes. And even as I was reading the last pages I wa...more
Kari Ramirez
After sitting on my shelf and renewing them twice from the library I finally started reading these (after stopping at volume two and not reading much of anything) again. I ended up tearing through them in a couple of days because I needed to know what happened!

The story flows so nicely. You're caught in this twilight time. It's not a tv show, it's not a novel, it's both. The suspense is definitely edge-of-your-seat and with each cliffhanger ending you automatically start reaching for the next vo...more
andrew
well, that's that. all done. 18 volumes, and I'm finished with Monster. it was a complete whim that got me started on it and I do not regret the time I poured into it, even if it seems like Diaz's praise for it might have been overblown. did it change my world? no. did it make me a huge manga freak? no. but did I read the entire thing, thousands of pages, and get caught up in the few characters that actually carried from volume to volume? yes. a very interesting story that was well-written and w...more
Ryan
GREAT series. Keeps you interested from the get go. Does meander a bit at several spots but not really surprising given the length of the series. Some very well written characters and the art is incredibly detailed.
Joevarian
When you find yourself interested in psychoanalysis, this manga is for you. The best of psychological thriller manga for me. This mangaka really knows how to build up our curiosity which makes this manga quite amazing.
William Hanley
I don't write reviews, but I must say that in "Monster", the way Urasawa added mystery, suspense, and surprising plot twists to a story theme of ethical chaos borderlines on genius.
Ian
And with that, MONSTER becomes one of my favorite comic book series ever. Naoki Urasawa has crafted a brilliant psychological mystery that kept me hooked through all 3,600+ pages, never faltering in his craft of master suspense and character building. Usually when a series goes on this long, things begin to unravel and plot points begin to fall apart or get forgotten. It takes a true storyteller to bring something of this scope to such a satisfying conclusion. Urasawa kept me guessing and on-edg...more
Brenda
This final book was INCREDIBLE. Absolutely gave me chills at the end. What an amazing story-teller Mr. Urasawa is!
Brock
A decent finale to the series, though it wasn't nearly as engaging as much of the middle portion of the series.
Carole
The ending was a bit disappointing.
Suzydumeur
Voilà c'est fini ! ce fut mon premier manga et je suis bien contente que l'on m'ait conseillée celui-ci comme première découverte. J'ai passé de très bonnes heures de lecture, la plupart trépidantes et dans l'attente impatiente de lire les prochains tomes. Les personnages foisonnent dans cette saga autour du "Monstre" et ils s'intègrent parfaitement bien dans cette histoire à tiroirs, qui peut paraitre un peu difficile à suivre par moments mais si on s'accroche tout se passe bien. Il y a un peu...more
Hippopottoman
It's hard to untangle this from book 17 in my mind, as I finished the last half of 17 and all 18 in one mad rush last night.
Plenty of action. More than usual for the books, and it was really exciting. Closure on a lot of fronts, with a little bit of uncertainty at the end, just to keep us on our toes. I enjoyed meeting two characters that we'd been curious about.
As always, the struggle between Johan, Tenma, Nina - and their ethics and morals - was engrossing, and I was really taken with a few of...more
Luna
I LOVED this series!!

I'm so glad I was able to take it all out of the library at once, though. I can't imagine having to wait every few months for the next volume! (Especially since I read the last 9 volumes in one evening!)

It's suspenseful and fast-paced and it has so many twists and turns. And toward the end, I literally jumped and gasped when I turned the page. I've never had that kind of reaction with a book of any kind!
Jamie
It's an amazing feat, to tell so complex and engaging a tale and keep it all together over 18 volumes. An incredible comic book achievement.
Cassandra
(Is there some way to just add the whole series? I don't want to add all 18 and spam up my list with this, amazing as Monster is...)
T.M. Carper
Kinda a letdown after 18 volumes of a story. Still interesting, but not what I expected at all. Suspenseful mystery.
Jan
It was great! Matt insisted i read this graphic novel series. A real page turner--read right through it.
Muriel
Was very much disappointed with the 'dénouement' of what seemed an excellent series. :-/
Dulce
These books are so good they will ruin your life. Nothing will ever be the same again.
Miguel Reveco
Aunque el final fue un poco abrupto, merece el 5 por el desarrollo total.
Jahe
KOMIK PALING KEREN YANG GW BACA!! TITIK!
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Mushishi, Volume 2
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 10
  • Gantz /9
  • Blame!, Vol. 10
  • Vagabond, Volumen 8
  • Emma, Vol. 05
  • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka, Vol. 7
Urasawa Naoki ( 浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival ex...more
More about Naoki Urasawa...
Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1) PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1) 20th Century Boys, Band 1 (20th Century Boys, #1) PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002 (Pluto, #2) PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)