Start by marking “Special A, Vol. 08 (Special A, #8)” as Want to Read:
Special A, Vol. 08 (Special A, #8)

Special A, Vol. 08 (Special A #8)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  1,590 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Her whole life, Hikari Hanazono has been consumed with the desire to win against her school rival, Kei Takishima--at anything. He always comes out on top no matter what he does, and Hikari is determined to do whatever it takes to beat this guy...somehow When Hikari finally asks Kei out, it seems like a dream come true. But Kei wasn't counting on a double date with Sakura a ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Special A, Vol. 08, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Special A, Vol. 08

Come check out my book blog! Teenage Bookaholic

SYNOPSIS: *Please note that this is a review for the entire series, comprised of 17 books*
Hikari Hanazono is not your typical high school girl. While she comes from a modest background, she strives to do her best at anything and everything to top her rival. After losing an impromptu wrestling match as a child, Hikari made it her life's goal to beat Kei Takishima, a wealthy child who is destined to work for the family business, any way possible. She
Michelle. D.
I love Tadashi!!! He is my favourite character!!!!!!!!
Tadashi :D

So this review is for the overall series. I give the overall series 5 stars because it was raelly good.

Funny at times, romantic at times, cute at times, sad at times. Also, I really loved the art (It's true! I have some saved pictures from things in the book.)

I would like to say that Hikari is SOOOOOOOO dense. I mean like crazy. I'm not even joking. I'm not going to tell you why but I want to say that when she said that and Takishi
Series Review: Special A is a interesting and cute manga that I really enjoyed. It was funny and entertaining plot and character wise. I most enjoyed the dynamic between the characters. I recommend giving this manga a try.
Jenny Clark
Hahaha I love the "Go Tadashi" bonus at the end. Poor Kei with his Grandfather and all... and Aoi with his ulcer... Love Hikari's present for him!
Note:This review is a series review, not really a volume specific review.

One of my favorite mangas. An excellent shoujo (meaning it is a comic aimed at teenage girls) story about Hikari whose life mission is to beat Kei. She goes to a very expensive school (one that her family can barely afford) for the sole purpose of trying to beat Kei. Poor Hikari is a clueless and loving girl who is always #2 in everything while Kei is #1. A good mix of drama, hilarity, and sweetness.
Dianne Owens
We are finally beginning to see the cast forming into noticeable couples. Kind of interesting seeing how these side stories also affect the primary storyline as well. Though the story is hilarious, we also get to see character development for the various characters, as well as what can be referred to as foreshadowing for future chapters. Loving it in spite of knowing that I am close to halfway through the entire story.
This series was amazing! Hikari and Kai's relationship is so comedic and heartwarming. I got through this series so fast and I just wanted to keep reading. All the characters are fun and this series is very entertaining.

If you liked Ouran High School Host Club I would recommend this series.
Hooray! The missing chapters were scanslated and this book can go on my read list! Thankies to VN_Vertigo and SpecialAScans for scanslating the missing chapters! :D
This series was hilarious! I found myself laughing out loud ever so often as I eagerly read the story. This author's work is just remarkable!
insani added it
Nov 27, 2015
Zahrah marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Obsessive reader
Obsessive reader marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Kysellen Ryoui
Kysellen Ryoui marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Angi S
Angi S marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
  • High School Debut, Vol. 09 (High School Debut, #9)
  • Maid-sama! Vol. 06 (Maid-sama!, #6)
  • Gakuen Alice, Vol. 06 (Gakuen Alice, #6)
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 8 (Wild Ones, #8)
  • Love*Com (Lovely*Complex), Volume 8
She is a Japanese manga author. She is best known as the author of manga series Special A.

In 2001, her short story Day Dream Believer (デイ・ドリーム・ビリーバー) received an Honourable Mention for Hakusensha's 25th Athena awards. She debuted in Hana to Yume's October 2001 issue with a short story titled Faraway Blue (彼方の青 Kanata no Ao).
Maki Minami's longest running series, Special A, began publication in 200
More about Maki Minami...

Special A (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Special A, Vol. 1 (Special A, #1)
  • Special A, Vol. 02 (Special A, #2)
  • Special A, Vol. 3 (Special A, #3)
  • Special A, Vol. 4 (Special A, #4)
  • Special A, Vol. 5 (Special A, #5)
  • Special A, Vol. 6 (Special A, #6)
  • Special A, Vol. 7 (Special A, #7)
  • Special A, Vol. 9 (Special A, #9)
  • Special A, Vol. 10 (Special A, #10)
  • Special A, Vol. 11 (Special A, #11)