Black Lagoon, Volume 1

Black Lagoon, Volume 1 (Black Lagoon #001)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  863 ratings  ·  29 reviews

Lock n' load with the baddest soldiers of fortune ever to hit the high seas of Southeast Asia! Aboard their World War II torpedo boat, the Black Lagoon, Dutch the Boss, Benny the Mechanic, Revy Two Hand, and Rock, the salaryman from Japan, deliver anything, anywhere. In the dangerous underworld of the Russian Mafia, Chinese triads, Colombian drug cartels, crazed assassins,...more
Published August 12th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Black Lagoon, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Lagoon, Volume 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
180th out of 860 books — 2,497 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaNaruto, Vol. 01 by Masashi KishimotoBleach Volume 01 by Tite KuboOne Piece, Volume 01 by Eiichiro Oda
Best Manga of All Time
55th out of 246 books — 372 voters

More lists with this book...

Kati
This is a real seinen manga. No cute girls, no romances, just men and women kicking major butt! I love the whole team of the Black Lagoon but mostly, Rock and Levi. They defy all the stereotypes that say that the girl has to be the understanding, empathic one and the boy has to be the protector. Levi is awesome, just the way I like heroines to be!
Angel
A very good and entertaining action read. This is the story of the crew of the PT boat the Black Lagoon. They will transport anything anywhere for the right price. Working in Southeast Asia, they face the mob, hitmen, and other assorted folk trying to kill them. The first volume introduces Rock as the new crew member, and one very lethal maid. You'll have to read it to learn more. This had a good pace; it was entertaining, and overall I enjoyed it. I am looking forward to the next volume in the...more
Erin
Revy= One of my favourite 'heroines', if you will, of all time!!
She is killer, smart, sassy and bloodthirsty all of this leads to BADASS!
I saw the anime, of the same title, first. Loved the voice acting and the animation. I had to get this, and let me tell you! I will never regret buying this amazing manga. I also love the kinda/sorta underlining romance between Rock and Revy.
Filled with violence, great one liners and witty repartee!
Jenn (One of Many, We are Legion)
This one I have not read, but have watched the anime. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't rate based on the adaptation, but assuming that the manga is at least as good (but likely better) than the adaptation, this one kicks ass. Super strong women, too. Lots of ass kicking by every character.
Greg Smith
I'm pretty selective about the anime series I invest my time and money into. And this is definitely worth both, several times over.

I'm not going to review each of these individually, but as a whole, it is worth the five stars.
If your a little unsure if you wish to read, check out the anime series or just hangout at the bookstore and begin reading. If your like me, you will be hooked.

FYI: This is definitely meant for mature audiences so be aware there is a lot of language, shooting, etc...but I t...more
Trip
It's Hong Kong action cinema in manga form!
Raven
gagal numpuk Review di Elex T__T
daripada terbuang sia2, posting di sini saja...

------

Black Lagoon adalah organisasi ‘jasa pengirim’ yang beroperasi di perairan Thailand dan Laut Cina Selatan. Beranggotakan Dutch, Revy, dan Benny, pekerjaan mereka biasanya mencakup penculikan orang, perampasan barang, dan menghadapi mafia yang merasa terganggu dengan kehadiran mereka.

Rokuro, seorang salaryman biasa, hanya punya harapan kosong untuk kembali ke Jepang dengan selamat ketika kapal perusahaannya diba...more
David
This manga was recommended to me by a well-meaning student in my Japanese/American noir class, but whoever the audience is for this stuff, it's definitely not me. The most amusing thing to me about these action-heavy stories of couriers-for-hire is the fans who give them credit for breaking down stereotypes. Apparently, in the world of manga, if your buxom heroine in her Daisy Dukes with a terminal case of camel toe is fearless, bloodthirsty, and good with guns, you've made a feminist statement....more
Blue Caeruleus
Not bad for my first manga!
Jordan
Definitely good, but I prefer the anime because the action scenes just do much better in that format. The huge shoot-outs, barfights, and uh flying torpedo boat just look better on screen. The two are pretty much the same so far, so there's not much extra to be gained from the manga. Black Lagoon is one of my favorite anime series though, so it would be pretty hard to surpass it. I always feel like I should go become a pirate after watching/reading Black Lagoon. If Rock can do it, so can I.
mindaugas
Apr 03, 2011 mindaugas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who enjoy action-packed, well drawn comics
Shelves: manga, own, favorites, 2011
artwork, great
story, highly entertaining and funny at time
characters, wonderful, especially revy
overall, a very good first volume of the series. i just hope the rest of them are going to be as good. and it's nice it is still as of yet, an ongoing series. would love to read it in japanese, but unfortunately i'm not at that stage yet.
Marty
Jan 05, 2009 Marty rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Great fun anime. Stereotypes kicked apart at the seams. Girls with guns, what's not to like. Also well drawn, at least to me. Why can't this stuff be in color ?
Also watched all the anime series a while ago, so I was pre-disposed to liking it... Glad to see that the manga is also as much fun to read, as anime was to watch.
Lily
Rock is AWESOME! (I'm starting to see a pattern here in my reviews)

FINALLY a guy is the one who has to be understanding and be the light (lol) for the guy-er I mean the girl.

I get the feeling that Rock is going to turn into a guy people should be wary of. Watch out Roanapur.

Short review is short.

Cheesey ending is cheesey.
Nameh dah
El precio no vale la edición (Viz media). Es injusto pensar que por ser un poco más grande que un tomo común, te aumenten 4 dólares. Además, siendo correctos, el arte de Hiroe no resulta tan espectacular como para aprovecharlo en tamaño. Del guión no hay quejas por supuesto. Black Lagoon es un muy buen producto.
Spuurrrnggeeee
GAHHHHHHH!!!!!! SERIOUSLY MINDBLOWINGLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT STORYLINE, GREAT ART, GREAT CHARCATERS!!!!!!!!!!!
Besides, does anyone thing Balalaika and Chang would make a good couple there, I know it seems a little out of nowhere, but really people, there is chemistry there, CHEMISTRY people!!!!!!!
Tim Chang
a more tongue-in-cheek take on gangster mafia (vs. hard-edged and dark like the "Crying Freeman" series), and a lot of fun to read. Wish it either went a little bit edgier & hardcore, or else more cutesy/romantic...feels like it's caught right in between these two extremes
Crystal
Some thoughts:

- lots of action
- main female character is very strong willed, but also extremely sexualized
- main male character doesn't make much sense for why he joined the rest
- story a bit difficult to follow
- great artwork, but a bit too busy for my tastes
Fabian Pulido
I enjoyed this. It was a good action manga I picked up casually as something to start reading on the side when i was at the library the other. I just might have to continue the series to see how it all turns out.
Frank Taranto
A fun violent story, kind of reminds me of Quentin Tarantino movies. The girl Revy is the real bad ass in this book, with the Rock being a displaced Japanese business man. Lots of violnece and destruction.
Don
It wasn't a bad manga. I liked the premise and the characters, just not enough that I felt a need to go out and buy the other books in the series. But if I happen to see a book at the library I'd check it out.
S.L.J.
Amazing Manga and brilliant anime. One of the few that has a great english dub. Revi is awesome and the whole series pulls no punches.

P.S. Roberta is the most bad-ass chick ever!!!
Rochelle
Aug 08, 2012 Rochelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Recommended to Rochelle by: Meredith
Shelves: manga
I thought it was a good read. It's got action and cursing in it. I like the main character alot, she's pretty awesome. I would like to keep reading it.
Keya
Tons of fun. Revy Two Hand is a great character. I love all the lyrics they use. Hoping the plot gets a little more involved down the line though.
Action
Tons of shoot'em up action with a crazy sexy girl blazing the way. It is fun to read and the artwork is pretty good as well.
Deanna Knippling
Fast, brutal, and full of over-the-top characters: just what you'd want in a shoot-em-up.
Jason Luu
My rating for the entire series (rather than rating every volume of manga individually).
Elizabeth
Sexy chicks with guns. Do you need any other reason to read this?
Jovan washington
a fun grown up manga
calla's apartment 1 2 Jun 18, 2013 10:42AM
black lagoon 1 2 Jun 06, 2013 07:32AM
Spoiled Rotten Manga: Black Lagoon 1 5 May 25, 2013 10:51PM
  • Blame!, Vol. 1
  • Dogs: Prelude, Volume 0
  • Highschool of the Dead, Band 2
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 1 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #1)
  • Gin Tama, Vol. 1
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 1: Blood of a Thousand
  • Gokusen 1
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 2 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #2)
  • Zombie Powder: The Man With the Black Hand (Zombie Powder, #1)
  • Claymore, Vol. 01: Silver-eyed Slayer (Claymore, #1)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 07 (Yotsuba&! #7)
  • Gunsmith Cats: Volume 1
  • Mushishi, Volume 1 (Mushishi, #1)
  • Aria, Volume 1 (Aria, #1)
  • Silver Diamond, Volume 01: Silver Seed
  • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka, Vol. 1
Black Lagoon, Volume 2 Black Lagoon, Volume 3 Black Lagoon, Vol. 4 Black Lagoon, Vol. 5 Black Lagoon, Vol. 8