Start by marking “Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 1

Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 1 (Jyu-oh-sei #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Inspired by the anime. In the year 2436 A.D., twins Thor and Rai are living on the Space Colony Juno space station. Their entire lives turn upside-down after their parents are murdered and they are kidnapped and sent to a forsaken planet by masked men. Young adult.
Published August 12th 2008 by TokyoPop (first published 2006)

Nisha
Dec 14, 2010 Nisha rated it it was amazing
I don't read much shounen-like manga, but I feel like this is a class of it own. I'll start with the art, its old-school shoujo, so its very appealing to me. Kinda reminds me of Escaflowne, with the noses, but much more beautiful. The story is superb, tackling not only the sci-fi element, but human flaw and politics, through skillful narration of suspense.

The story begins with a pair of blond-haired, blue-eyed 11-year-old twins, Thor and Rai, who find their parents murdered and are immediately
Vicki
Sep 15, 2015 Vicki rated it it was amazing
These notes cover vols. 1 - 3 (the complete series)

Delicate white-haired, white-skinned twin brothers Thor and Rei are kidnapped and left to fend for themselves on a dangerous prison planet after their politician father is killed. Can they survive on a planet populated by criminals and giant man-eating plants, and will they ever be able to get back to their home and find out why this happened to them?

This series is presented as 3 chunky volumes, each at least 1 1/2 times as thick as a normal Tok
Triston Sowles
May 21, 2015 Triston Sowles rated it it was amazing
This is a sci-fi shounen story seen through a shoujo lense. If the shoujo artstyle ever put you off, this would be a good gateway.

The plot is classic SF. Prison-planet, laser-swords, time-skips, love triangles and the whole nine-yards. In a way, it feels like Japanese Dune but on a jungle planet.

All in all, very unique and compact. Worth the time to read.
Lord
Nov 18, 2009 Lord rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, sci-fi
As an old fan of science fiction, I had high expectations from this manga, as space operas are not that common in this genre. Well, it starts as a space opera but the story takes place mainly on the planet that resembles Deathworld from Harry Harrison. I must say there are some very original elements, not that common in manga where even distant planets and often depicted like Earth's twins (Please Save My Earth). So, the setting and characters are intersting, the art manga standard. The story is ...more
Maverynthia
Jun 01, 2015 Maverynthia rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
Men are beasts

This manga is terrible. I have no idea how this is some kind of award winning piece.We are barely introduced to Rai before he's killed... OFF PANEL as if the artist/author had a plan for him and scrapped it.Women are "" and they are constantly bested by men, and their whole existence is reliant on a man. It's made to seem like they have some kind of power, but really they don't which is why their rings are the exception "FEMALE Sun Ring" etc.Of course Thor is super good at everyth
Dani
I was really taken with this story - I love twins - but this is really about one boy, Thor, who must push on and survive no matter what adversity he must face. It was really exciting and unexpected. Of course, I really loved Third, just like everyone on the planet does! Zagi was also really intriguing, putting a face to the brutality of life on Kimaera.

I really liked the world building - marriage is at 13.8 years old; day is for 181 days and night time the same! We jump right into the action and
Feby
Dapat dari diskonan Gramedia. Tetapi lebih dulu nonton anime-nya.
Ceritanya sih keren. Fantasi campur-campur survival dan science fiction. Tokoh-tokohnya digali cukup baik. Tetapi kurang suka bagian romance-nya. Diselipin kurang pas dalam alur ceritanya.
Ayu
Sep 06, 2008 Ayu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saat membuka manga ini sekilas di toko buku, kostum yang dikenakan si tokoh mengingatkan pada salah satu anime di animax yang tidak pernah saya tonton, kecuali iklannya ^^. Dan ternyata benar, buku ini adalah versi manga dari anime tersebut. :D
Lea
Jul 07, 2010 Lea rated it really liked it
This looks to be the beginning of a good series! I really enjoyed the story and the characters, and want to see what will happen next. Also, the art style is really nice, it reminds me of "From Far Away", which I loved. ^^
Mely
Jan 26, 2011 Mely rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, writer-poc, shojo
Colorful and improbable pulp sf reminiscent of Moore, Kuttner, and Brackett. AWESOME.
InfinitexLibrary
Dec 28, 2012 InfinitexLibrary rated it really liked it
So far the anime follows this pretty well!
Snow
Oct 05, 2008 Snow rated it really liked it
reviewed for Booklist
Me
Me added it
Mar 05, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Brandi Blair
Brandi Blair marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Chocolate Panda
Chocolate Panda rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2016
Julia Adams
Julia Adams rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Maha Sabry
Maha Sabry marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Arianna
Arianna rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2015
Jaleena
Jaleena marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Albi
Albi marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Gusfina
Gusfina rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2015
J
J marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Isaac Zamora
Isaac Zamora marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Justmin Reyes
Justmin Reyes marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
julie scherber
julie scherber rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Natsumi Itsuki (樹なつみ Itsuki Natsumi?, born 5 February 1960 in Kobe, Hyogo, Japan) is a Japanese shōjo manga artist best known for writing science fiction manga. She debuted in 1979 with Megumi-chan ni Sasageru Comedy in LaLa. She won the 1993 Seiun Award for best science fiction manga for Oz and the 1997 Kodansha Manga Award for shōjo manga for Eight Clouds Rising. Several of her works have been a ...more
More about Natsumi Itsuki...

Jyu-oh-sei (3 books)