Start by marking “Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 1

Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 1 (Jyu-oh-sei #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Inspired by the anime. In the year 2436 A.D., twins Thor and Rai are living on the Space Colony Juno space station. Their entire lives turn upside-down after their parents are murdered and they are kidnapped and sent to a forsaken planet by masked men. Young adult.
Published August 12th 2008 by TokyoPop (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 1

Nisha
I don't read much shounen-like manga, but I feel like this is a class of it own. I'll start with the art, its old-school shoujo, so its very appealing to me. Kinda reminds me of Escaflowne, with the noses, but much more beautiful. The story is superb, tackling not only the sci-fi element, but human flaw and politics, through skillful narration of suspense.

The story begins with a pair of blond-haired, blue-eyed 11-year-old twins, Thor and Rai, who find their parents murdered and are immediately
Vicki
These notes cover vols. 1 - 3 (the complete series)

Delicate white-haired, white-skinned twin brothers Thor and Rei are kidnapped and left to fend for themselves on a dangerous prison planet after their politician father is killed. Can they survive on a planet populated by criminals and giant man-eating plants, and will they ever be able to get back to their home and find out why this happened to them?

This series is presented as 3 chunky volumes, each at least 1 1/2 times as thick as a normal Tok
Triston Sowles
This is a sci-fi shounen story seen through a shoujo lense. If the shoujo artstyle ever put you off, this would be a good gateway.

The plot is classic SF. Prison-planet, laser-swords, time-skips, love triangles and the whole nine-yards. In a way, it feels like Japanese Dune but on a jungle planet.

All in all, very unique and compact. Worth the time to read.
Lord
As an old fan of science fiction, I had high expectations from this manga, as space operas are not that common in this genre. Well, it starts as a space opera but the story takes place mainly on the planet that resembles Deathworld from Harry Harrison. I must say there are some very original elements, not that common in manga where even distant planets and often depicted like Earth's twins (Please Save My Earth). So, the setting and characters are intersting, the art manga standard. The story is ...more
Maverynthia
Men are beasts

This manga is terrible. I have no idea how this is some kind of award winning piece.We are barely introduced to Rai before he's killed... OFF PANEL as if the artist/author had a plan for him and scrapped it.Women are "" and they are constantly bested by men, and their whole existence is reliant on a man. It's made to seem like they have some kind of power, but really they don't which is why their rings are the exception "FEMALE Sun Ring" etc.Of course Thor is super good at everyth
Dani
I was really taken with this story - I love twins - but this is really about one boy, Thor, who must push on and survive no matter what adversity he must face. It was really exciting and unexpected. Of course, I really loved Third, just like everyone on the planet does! Zagi was also really intriguing, putting a face to the brutality of life on Kimaera.

I really liked the world building - marriage is at 13.8 years old; day is for 181 days and night time the same! We jump right into the action and
Feby
Dapat dari diskonan Gramedia. Tetapi lebih dulu nonton anime-nya.
Ceritanya sih keren. Fantasi campur-campur survival dan science fiction. Tokoh-tokohnya digali cukup baik. Tetapi kurang suka bagian romance-nya. Diselipin kurang pas dalam alur ceritanya.
Ayu
Saat membuka manga ini sekilas di toko buku, kostum yang dikenakan si tokoh mengingatkan pada salah satu anime di animax yang tidak pernah saya tonton, kecuali iklannya ^^. Dan ternyata benar, buku ini adalah versi manga dari anime tersebut. :D
Lea
This looks to be the beginning of a good series! I really enjoyed the story and the characters, and want to see what will happen next. Also, the art style is really nice, it reminds me of "From Far Away", which I loved. ^^
Mely
Colorful and improbable pulp sf reminiscent of Moore, Kuttner, and Brackett. AWESOME.
InfinitexLibrary
So far the anime follows this pretty well!
Snow
reviewed for Booklist
Kaitie
Kaitie added it
Apr 19, 2015
Ashlyn
Ashlyn marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Cindi
Cindi added it
Apr 02, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 05, 2015
Natala Wolfsblood
Natala Wolfsblood marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Orie Salvador
Orie Salvador is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
Miliana
Miliana marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Natsumi Itsuki (樹なつみ Itsuki Natsumi?, born 5 February 1960 in Kobe, Hyogo, Japan) is a Japanese shōjo manga artist best known for writing science fiction manga. She debuted in 1979 with Megumi-chan ni Sasageru Comedy in LaLa. She won the 1993 Seiun Award for best science fiction manga for Oz and the 1997 Kodansha Manga Award for shōjo manga for Eight Clouds Rising. Several of her works have been a ...more
More about Natsumi Itsuki...

Jyu-oh-sei (3 books)
  • Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 2
  • Jyu-Oh-Sei ~ book Three
Demon Sacred, Volume 1 Demon Sacred, Volume 2 Jyu-Oh-Sei, Volume 2 Demon Sacred, Volume 3 Jyu-Oh-Sei ~ book Three