Start by marking “Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)

Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,644 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Honorable Mention as The Historical Romance Club's Favorite Historical Romance of the Year for 2003

A fiery angel, a coldhearted devil, and a marriage hotter than hell!

Linnet MacDonnell was the youngest of seven sisters, and not the family beauty. With her flame-bright red hair, sharp tongue, and strange gift of second-sight, no man wanted her. But the devil would take her.
Published August 1st 2001 by Forever

Outlander by Diana GabaldonKiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Bride by Julie GarwoodThe Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
Best Highland/Scotland Romance Novels
161st out of 472 books — 1,717 voters
Night Angel by Lisa KesslerThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Causal Angel by Hannu RajaniemiDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasThe Devil On Horseback by Victoria Holt
Titles - Angels and Devils
14th out of 190 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Cherie
Nov 03, 2014 Cherie rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, e-book
I wanted to like this book. Early on I was disappointed with the heroine who was brought into the story to use her "sight" to determine whether a child belonged to the laird or his bastard brother. She knew the answer as soon as she saw the boy but decided not to tell him because she wanted him to love the boy for himself not just because the boy was a rightful son. What a manipulating, controlling, pretending to be god, dishonorable character.

But, I kept reading. At times I felt between two peo
Melinda
Mar 19, 2015 Melinda rated it it was ok

I’m on a Highlander historical romance kick. I’ve been searching high and low for a good Highlander series that has at a few books already written. I found this series and looked at the reviews to see if it was worth reading and the majority of readers liked it so I downloaded the first book.

The story and plot were pretty good but I had such a hard time getting used to the authors use of expletives, not because they were harsh but because they made me laugh. I think they were supposed to be mean
Kari
Jun 15, 2014 Kari rated it really liked it
This was the first book in the MacKenzie series. Well-written although there was too much introspection that seemed to slow down the story and the actual romance. I loved the characters and will likely check out more books in the series.
Yona
Feb 18, 2014 Yona rated it it was ok
Shelves: highland
Boring, very very boring.......... i'm not even sure how I managed to read it without skipping.
Anne
Dec 07, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it
An excellent read for lovers of good Scottish Historical fiction with a good romantic situation. This author writes good stories, and I will be happy to read more of her books. Duncan of Kintail and his bride Linnet are wonderful characters who will draw you into their story.
Recommended
Lover of Romance
When Linnet MacDonnell was the youngest in her family, but now her father has decided to give her to Duncan MacKensie, a enemy to her father, as wife, despite her protests to the contrary. Throughout her young life, she is spirited but also has a gift for a second sight, which has prevented her from any man from wanting her, except for Duncan MacKensie who needs her gift more than he needs her, but is willing to marry her to know certain truths. At first Linnet is nervous around her new husband, ...more
Danyel
Jan 03, 2011 Danyel rated it it was amazing
I don't read much fiction, but I love men in kilts. My BFFs added this to a Scottish-themed gift basket they made me for my birthday. I've never read a romance novel. Never read historical fiction. I expected this to be cheesy but it really wasn't. The story was well written and believable (except, maybe, for a little magic) and you grew to really care about all the characters. The sexy parts were not over the top but were nice... I just got online and tracked down used copies of the next two bo ...more
Chumchum_88
Jul 10, 2014 Chumchum_88 rated it it was amazing
As usual it was adorable
I loved the main characters, and like lennit I loved how Duncan was awkward with words, he kinda pissed me off most of the book, cause how he distanced himself from her and through that made her feel worthless.
I loved marmaduke XD I kinda feel guilty cause when lennit had that two headed guy vision and said its a friend who is good with words and will betray u, I instantly thought if marmaduke I didn't want him to be the traitor and thankfully he wasn't
I specially loved
Kimberly Nanneman
Mar 14, 2008 Kimberly Nanneman rated it it was amazing
This book is a favorite of mine. it was wonderful!! she is a great writer, she is one of my favorite Author's & I have alot of favorites. this book is a keeper, like all the others that I have kept. anyone that loves to read romance books I recomend this one & all her otheres boos!! Happy reading!!
Monica
Jul 27, 2011 Monica rated it it was amazing
Normally I read historical romance but with a twist of paranormal such as time travel, fay or something. I read the sample on this book and thought I would give it a try. I fell in love with the characters, the story line is well written, and it keeps you wanting more.
pavao
Dec 15, 2007 pavao rated it it was amazing
For cheeeezy romance, look no further. I even learned a new vocabulary word: "manroot".
Corandra

Re-lectura del: 16-12 al: 17-12-15
Jan 18, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Linnet MacDonnell is sent to marry Duncan MacKenzie, an enemy of her clan who negotiated their marriage because he wishes to make use of her sight and have her be a mother to his son Robbie. Ever since his first wife died after telling Duncan that Robbie was his half-brothers son and not his, Duncan has been plagued with doubt and unable to look at the boy. Upon her arrival Linnet immediately realizes that Robbie is Duncan's true son but keeps that fact to her self as she believes that Duncan mu ...more
Leah
Nov 20, 2011 Leah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
This was the review I added to Amazon when I read the book.

7 of 9 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Scottish Medieval. A MUST BUY!, December 20, 2001
This review is from: Devil in a Kilt (Mass Market Paperback)
To be Sue-Ellen's first book... she came out with a BANG! She drew me in from the first page and I couldn't put this book down. Great historical information and a wonderful love story. The secondary characters related to each other perfectly and were
Regan Walker
May 03, 2012 Regan Walker rated it really liked it
Entertaining 1st in the Series

Set in 1325, at the time when Robert the Bruce ruled Scotland, this is Welfonder’s first book and the first in the Highland Warrior series. It tells the story of Laird Duncan MacKenzie of Kintail who is bitter, angry and surly because his first wife cheated on him with his half brother, a man who looks like his twin. The rumor is that Duncan murdered his first wife. He wants to know if his 6 year old son, Robbie, is his own or his half brother’s, so he decides to we
GoldenjoyBazyll
Oct 12, 2009 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: JEN
Shelves: romance
OK now ladies.... here is a real bodice ripper!!!! ;)

You know that one of these... maybe 2 or more.... are necessary every once in awhile so why try and hide it! Just laugh!

As far as trashy romance novels go... Devil In A Kilt is definately a saucy read!!!!!! Setting... Scotland. Situation at hand- Drunken father marries daughter to an angry neighboring lord (hence- the Devil in a Kilt!). She has the sight- he has the bod! Ok... sorry- let me be serious. His previous wife did him very wrong and
MissCherry
May 25, 2016 MissCherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creo que soy una de esas pocas personas a as que le encanto esta saga. Sobretodo este es de mis favoritos. Disfruto cuando los personajes sufren situaciones melodramaticas o tienen pasados turbios y oscuros.
Karen
May 15, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scottish romance readers
This one deserves a little more than 3 stars, but not quite 4. I love a good Scottish Highland romance and this one really ticks all the boxes. I enjoyed it enough that I will continue on with the series. I really enjoyed the characters in this story, not just the hero and heroine, but supporting characters as well. I found the ending lacked a little and it was almost as if it was rushed. If you enjoy romance set in the Scottish Highlands then I highly recommend you read "Devil in a Kilt".
Jessica
Apr 19, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good, actually.
Zoe
Dec 28, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
when I started the book it had 4 Stars. then when Linnet wouldn't quit whining about how he wouldn't love her in her internal dialogues, it went down to 3. in the last 30% when the plots meant nothing and it became obvious to me that the better part was never going to come, it went down to 1 star. I am giving it 2 stars because I don't want to be harsh.
such a pity. I really had high hopes for the book.
Tiffany
Apr 22, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this last night. I am always a sucker for historical romances and this one was no exception. I loved how spunky Linnet was. Even when she heard all the horrible stuff her father said about her she kept her head held high. Duncan was a great hero for the story. He had his own demons which he battled along with an evil half brother. In all it was a very good book.
Fa
Feb 25, 2016 Fa rated it did not like it
I'm so disapointed with the way the story ended..., I kind of knew how it was going to end because it's a romance, and most of them are very predictable, to me at least, but anyway, the end was just badly written and not enough developed, it seemed to me like the author just got tired of writing this book and finished it that way just because..., it was a very entertaining book when I first started it, considering that, yes, it was a little bit obvious and repetitive, but it wasn't that bad, I w ...more
Suzie
Mar 04, 2012 Suzie rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author- and it was FANTASTIC. Wonderful characters, touching story, and great imagery. All the things you look for in a book, its got it. The worst thing about it- you will sit down to read and lose two hours before you know it. Hope you enjoy as well.
Linda
I love books about the Scottish Highlands and this is one of the best historical romances I've read. Sexy romps, chivalrous knights, tumultuous adventures.... It had enough twists & turns to make it near impossible to put down. This one is a keeper!
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Apr 04, 2012 Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥ rated it liked it
Recommended to Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥ by: Courtney

This is the 1st Sue-Ellen Welfonder book I read, and right from start it caught me and keep me reading till the last page. But I don't feel connected to the book after 238 pages. It's boring and I just want to finish it.

Julie
Sep 09, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Story of a tortured highlander laird that has to learn that not all women are like his evil first wife. Will the love of a good woman change his mind?

Carla
Aug 16, 2010 Carla rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It had all of my favorite things, a hunky Scottish Lord who has to learn to love again, a Scottish lass with the sight, an evil bastard half brother, a mystery and steamy love. I think I will get another of her books!
Dawn-Desiree
Jan 05, 2014 Dawn-Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Sue-Ellen Welfonder's writing style. She creates characters that appear very real.
Knowing more about Maramaduke (read the second book first) I came more to admire him.
Good book worth the read.
Suzanne Goldberg
Jun 25, 2012 Suzanne Goldberg rated it really liked it
Just started....already looks good. Love a brooding highlander struting around the campfire naked .this has got to be a good omen. Yes this was a decent read. Little slow getting to the good stuff but not bad at all
Heather
Nov 02, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable romance book. I liked the characters. The five id based on the genre. It is whet it is....a romance book not war and peace. I do like this author.
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)
  • Master of the Highlands (Highlands, #1)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Highland Warrior (Campbell Trilogy, #1)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • Highland Dragon
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • The Irresistible MacRae (The Highland Lords, #3)
  • The Scotsman
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Highland Hellcat (Highlander, #2)
  • Tamed by a Laird (Galloway Trilogy, #1)
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
196759
Sue-Ellen Welfonder is a card-carrying Scotophile whose burning wish to make frequent (free) trips to the land of her dreams led her to a twenty year career with the airlines. Bi-lingual, she flew international all those years, working her flights as foreign language speaker. Her flying career allowed her to see the world, but it was always to Scotland that she returned.

Now a full-time writer, sh
More about Sue-Ellen Welfonder...

MacKenzie (7 books)
  • Bride of the Beast (MacKenzie, #2)
  • Only for a Knight (MacKenzie, #3)
  • Until the Knight Comes (MacKenzie, #4)
  • Bride for a Knight (MacKenzie, #5)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7)