Start by marking “Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)

Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,333 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Honorable Mention as The Historical Romance Club's Favorite Historical Romance of the Year for 2003

A fiery angel, a coldhearted devil, and a marriage hotter than hell!

Linnet MacDonnell was the youngest of seven sisters, and not the family beauty. With her flame-bright red hair, sharp tongue, and strange gift of second-sight, no man wanted her. But the devil would take her.
Published August 1st 2001 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Devil in a Kilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil in a Kilt

Outlander by Diana GabaldonKiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie MoningThe Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning
Best Highland/Scotland Romance Novels
134th out of 427 books — 1,427 voters
Beautiful Bastard by Christina LaurenA Hunger Like No Other by Kresley ColeFeral Sins by Suzanne  WrightDreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley ColeBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Don't judge me!
28th out of 113 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Kari
This was the first book in the MacKenzie series. Well-written although there was too much introspection that seemed to slow down the story and the actual romance. I loved the characters and will likely check out more books in the series.
Yona
Boring, very very boring.......... i'm not even sure how I managed to read it without skipping.
Anne
An excellent read for lovers of good Scottish Historical fiction with a good romantic situation. This author writes good stories, and I will be happy to read more of her books. Duncan of Kintail and his bride Linnet are wonderful characters who will draw you into their story.
Recommended
Lover of Romance
When Linnet MacDonnell was the youngest in her family, but now her father has decided to give her to Duncan MacKensie, a enemy to her father, as wife, despite her protests to the contrary. Throughout her young life, she is spirited but also has a gift for a second sight, which has prevented her from any man from wanting her, except for Duncan MacKensie who needs her gift more than he needs her, but is willing to marry her to know certain truths. At first Linnet is nervous around her new husband, ...more
Cherie Jensen
I wanted to like this book. Early on I was disappointed with the heroine who was brought into the story to use her "sight" to determine whether a child belonged to the laird or his bastard brother. She knew the answer as soon as she saw the boy but decided not to tell him because she wanted him to love the boy for himself not just because the boy was a rightful son. What a manipulating, controlling, pretending to be god, dishonorable character.

But, I kept reading. At times I felt between two peo
Danyel
I don't read much fiction, but I love men in kilts. My BFFs added this to a Scottish-themed gift basket they made me for my birthday. I've never read a romance novel. Never read historical fiction. I expected this to be cheesy but it really wasn't. The story was well written and believable (except, maybe, for a little magic) and you grew to really care about all the characters. The sexy parts were not over the top but were nice... I just got online and tracked down used copies of the next two bo ...more
Kimberly Nanneman
This book is a favorite of mine. it was wonderful!! she is a great writer, she is one of my favorite Author's & I have alot of favorites. this book is a keeper, like all the others that I have kept. anyone that loves to read romance books I recomend this one & all her otheres boos!! Happy reading!!
Monica
Normally I read historical romance but with a twist of paranormal such as time travel, fay or something. I read the sample on this book and thought I would give it a try. I fell in love with the characters, the story line is well written, and it keeps you wanting more.
pavao
For cheeeezy romance, look no further. I even learned a new vocabulary word: "manroot".
Linnet MacDonnell is sent to marry Duncan MacKenzie, an enemy of her clan who negotiated their marriage because he wishes to make use of her sight and have her be a mother to his son Robbie. Ever since his first wife died after telling Duncan that Robbie was his half-brothers son and not his, Duncan has been plagued with doubt and unable to look at the boy. Upon her arrival Linnet immediately realizes that Robbie is Duncan's true son but keeps that fact to her self as she believes that Duncan mu ...more
Leah
This was the review I added to Amazon when I read the book.

7 of 9 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Scottish Medieval. A MUST BUY!, December 20, 2001
This review is from: Devil in a Kilt (Mass Market Paperback)
To be Sue-Ellen's first book... she came out with a BANG! She drew me in from the first page and I couldn't put this book down. Great historical information and a wonderful love story. The secondary characters related to each other perfectly and were
GoldenjoyBazyll
Oct 12, 2009 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: JEN
Shelves: romance
OK now ladies.... here is a real bodice ripper!!!! ;)

You know that one of these... maybe 2 or more.... are necessary every once in awhile so why try and hide it! Just laugh!

As far as trashy romance novels go... Devil In A Kilt is definately a saucy read!!!!!! Setting... Scotland. Situation at hand- Drunken father marries daughter to an angry neighboring lord (hence- the Devil in a Kilt!). She has the sight- he has the bod! Ok... sorry- let me be serious. His previous wife did him very wrong and
Chumchum_88
As usual it was adorable
I loved the main characters, and like lennit I loved how Duncan was awkward with words, he kinda pissed me off most of the book, cause how he distanced himself from her and through that made her feel worthless.
I loved marmaduke XD I kinda feel guilty cause when lennit had that two headed guy vision and said its a friend who is good with words and will betray u, I instantly thought if marmaduke I didn't want him to be the traitor and thankfully he wasn't
I specially loved
Karen
May 15, 2010 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Scottish romance readers
This one deserves a little more than 3 stars, but not quite 4. I love a good Scottish Highland romance and this one really ticks all the boxes. I enjoyed it enough that I will continue on with the series. I really enjoyed the characters in this story, not just the hero and heroine, but supporting characters as well. I found the ending lacked a little and it was almost as if it was rushed. If you enjoy romance set in the Scottish Highlands then I highly recommend you read "Devil in a Kilt".
Tiffany
I just finished reading this last night. I am always a sucker for historical romances and this one was no exception. I loved how spunky Linnet was. Even when she heard all the horrible stuff her father said about her she kept her head held high. Duncan was a great hero for the story. He had his own demons which he battled along with an evil half brother. In all it was a very good book.
Suzie
This is my first book by this author- and it was FANTASTIC. Wonderful characters, touching story, and great imagery. All the things you look for in a book, its got it. The worst thing about it- you will sit down to read and lose two hours before you know it. Hope you enjoy as well.
Linda
I love books about the Scottish Highlands and this is one of the best historical romances I've read. Sexy romps, chivalrous knights, tumultuous adventures.... It had enough twists & turns to make it near impossible to put down. This one is a keeper!
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Apr 04, 2012 Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥ by: Courtney

This is the 1st Sue-Ellen Welfonder book I read, and right from start it caught me and keep me reading till the last page. But I don't feel connected to the book after 238 pages. It's boring and I just want to finish it.

Julie
Story of a tortured highlander laird that has to learn that not all women are like his evil first wife. Will the love of a good woman change his mind?

Carla
I enjoyed this book. It had all of my favorite things, a hunky Scottish Lord who has to learn to love again, a Scottish lass with the sight, an evil bastard half brother, a mystery and steamy love. I think I will get another of her books!
Dawn-Desiree
I really enjoy Sue-Ellen Welfonder's writing style. She creates characters that appear very real.
Knowing more about Maramaduke (read the second book first) I came more to admire him.
Good book worth the read.
Suzanne Goldberg
Just started....already looks good. Love a brooding highlander struting around the campfire naked .this has got to be a good omen. Yes this was a decent read. Little slow getting to the good stuff but not bad at all
Heather
Enjoyable romance book. I liked the characters. The five id based on the genre. It is whet it is....a romance book not war and peace. I do like this author.
Normal
Mumsgang Nash
I really enjoy sue-ellen welfonder books and always looking for books she has written , great plots, great characters and great details
Betzacosta Fiction
no se, no me lleno tanto como hacen los buenos libros históricos. Este protagonista masculino no fur nada atractivo
Luxx
You know a book is good when it made you cry! I just wish we had seen more of the happy family
Jenny U
Ridiculous....and I love it! How could you pass up a book called "Devil in a Kilt"?
Sarina
Wonderful book! I can't wait to read more of Sue-Ellen's books :)
Micke
Jan 27, 2009 Micke added it
I am a sucker for a good romance and I read this one. It wasn't bad.
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)
  • Highland Hellcat (Highlander, #2)
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, #1)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Master of the Highlands (Highlands, #1)
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • Captured by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #1)
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • The Scotsman
  • Highland Dragon
  • The Guardian (Return of the Highlanders #1)
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
196759
Sue-Ellen Welfonder is a card-carrying Scotophile whose burning wish to make frequent (free) trips to the land of her dreams led her to a twenty year career with the airlines. Bi-lingual, she flew international all those years, working her flights as foreign language speaker. Her flying career allowed her to see the world, but it was always to Scotland that she returned.

Now a full-time writer, sh
More about Sue-Ellen Welfonder...

MacKenzie (7 books)
  • Bride of the Beast (MacKenzie, #2)
  • Only for a Knight (MacKenzie, #3)
  • Until the Knight Comes (MacKenzie, #4)
  • Bride for a Knight (MacKenzie, #5)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7)
Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6) Bride of the Beast (MacKenzie, #2) Sins of a Highland Devil (Highland Warriors, #1) A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7) Only for a Knight (MacKenzie, #3)