Start by marking “Old Bear” as Want to Read:
Old Bear

Old Bear

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,586 ratings  ·  219 reviews
Snug and warm, curled and furry, Old Bear sleeps.

Red, orange, and brown leaves fly through the air, and it is snowing hard. Old Bear doesn't notice.

Old Bear is dreaming about being a cub again. He is dreaming about the beauty of the world. He is dreaming of everything he loves about the forest that is his home.

Turn the page and you will see!
Published August 19th 2008 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Old Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Bear

In a Blue Room by Jim AverbeckWe are the Ship by Kadir NelsonWabi Sabi by Mark ReibsteinOld Bear by Kevin HenkesHow I Learned Geography by Uri Shulevitz
2009 Caldecott Contenders
4th out of 37 books — 91 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
445th out of 1,307 books — 972 voters

More lists with this book...

Christy

Readers are immersed into the warm, colorful and imaginative pages beautifully illustrated by Kevin Henkes in Old Bear. After several readings of Old Bear, including a read-aloud for my first-grade class, I have concluded that it is a children’s picture book worthy of consideration for the Caldecott Medal.
Few words are needed to tell the story of the old bear sleeping through the winter and dreaming of his younger, cub days. The seasons and color schemes change as we turn each page. Children
Kathryn
Gosh, I just want to snuggle up to Old Bear! Isn't he the cutest!? The story is simple and whimsical--Old Bear hibernates and has fanciful dreams of being a cub again, sleeping in a flower in spring, catching blueberry-raindrops on his tongue in summer. The illustrations are warm and interesting and capture the curiosity and appreciation for nature that Bear feels.
Karrie
The leaves on the inside front cover and the flowers on the inside back cover orient the reader to what season we are in. The title page introduces us to a friendly-looking bear who is sitting fat and happy, and as we turn to the verso and dedication page, our fat and happy bear is beginning his journey into a long winter's nap. The illustrations are easily readable, and very expressive without words.

As the story continues and the text is added, Henkes does a marvelous job of telling the story
David
Old Bear by Kevin Henkes is a hibernation story about a bear who dreams his way through the winter.

As leaves fly and snowfall begins, Old Bear finds a hollow tree and quickly falls asleep. Old Bear dreams of the four seasons, picturing himself as a cub sleeping in a giant pink Spring crocus. Bear's Summer dream features a daisy as the sun and blueberry rainfall. The Autumn dream features the world in yellows, oranges, and reds including the birds, fish and water. Bear's Winter dream shows the wo
Muhuawu wu
My favorite book written by Kevin Henkes is Old Bear. I chose Old Bear for many reasons.
First, I liked the illustrations because they were full of vivid color. Also, different colors were used for each season. For example, Mr. Henkes used light blues and white for winter. These color represented the cold and brisk air of winter days.
Another reason is because the illustrations look like the dreamy world Old Bear is dreaming about. The bright colors and big pictures make you feel like you are in a
Emily Sirota
Old bear is reminiscing on the days when he was a cub. He goes back to the seasons when he is a cub, he goes back to the energy he had when he was just a cub. His sweet dreams are all filled with his sweet memories from the past. When he awakes he realizes something...

This is a great story told by Kevin Henkes. The details are insane in this book all the shading, sketching, and painting really show. You can tell the illustrator put lots of effort into the drawings and kept them very bright and h
Emily Nunez-Eddy
"Old Bear" is a fun, explorative book for young children, telling the story of a bear, dreaming about the passing of multiple seasons, including winter, spring, fall, and summer, that leaves the reader questioning how the bear will react when he wakes up -- will he be disappointed in what he sees outside, or ecstatic? What will await his eyes when he awakes?
Unlike some of Henkes other books, such as "Kitten's First Full Moon", or "Birds", which are rather simplistic in illustrations, "Old Bear"
Madison Hays
Old Bear is a children's book written by Kevin Henkes. It is about a bear cub that falls asleep and dreams of the different seasons passing by. He is enjoying them all and loves everything about each one. Suddenly he wakes up and realizes that his dream just might have come true! Beautiful colors and flowers surrounded him, how long did the little cub hibernate for?!

The illustrations in this story are very simple yet have a lot of background detail. Watercolor and paint are used to create the p
Andrea
Old Bear curls up in his den for a long winter’s nap. In deep sleep he dreams about springtime summertime and autumn. The Old Bear finally wakes up, and notices it is spring once again. Even thought this book was not told in a poetic form, as I was reading this story I felt like I was reading a poem. This story flows beautifully and includes a lot of descriptive words which is why it gives this book a poem like feel. The illustrations are beautiful. Each season is complimented with an illustrati ...more
Kristen Badger
Henkes, K. (2008). Old bear. New York: Greenwillow Harper Collins.

A breathtakingly beautiful picture book about a hibernating bear dreaming about the four seasons. He wakes up to find that the season has really changed.

This book would be great to use when teaching younger students about the four seasons and the traits of each season.

Primary

From Follett Titlewave: Reviews & Awards

ALA Notable Children's Books 2009

Kirkus Reviews 07/15/08

Booklist starred 06/15/08

New York Times 12/21/08

Bulletin
Lynn
Sweet and very quiet. But my rambunctious grandsons loved it and have asked to read it again and again.
Polly
A very charming and beautiful book about the seasonal dreams of a hibernating bear.
Mary Lourdes

Includes: illustrations

Rating: 4 stars

Format: Prose
Genre: Easy Fiction

Old Bear falls asleep for the winter. He dreams of spring and summer. When he wakes up, it truly is spring. The language of the story is simple, but with imagery. The artwork is in the pastel style. The use of color is great; it re
Nancy O'Toole
Old Bear tells the story of a bear hibernating during the winter. As he sleeps, he is filled with memories of past seasons. When he awakes, he discovers that it is already spring. Old Bear is a gentle book, filled with soft, friendly illustrations painted in pastel watercolor and outlined with darker ink. The book differentiates between the present and the past through a clever change in layout and color. The scenes in the cave are single page illustrations, outlined in black, with black text on ...more
karrie's corner

Alyssa Pierce
Kevin Henkes does a wonderful job of showing Old bear experiencing hibernation for the first time. In this book, the reader goes through all of the dreams of Old Bear during his hibernation. Within these dreams, the reader sees how Old Bear’s imagination fuels what he sees. For example, during summer a daisy is the sun and it was raining blueberries. It is endearing to see these different ideas represent what we know. He longs for being awake and a part of the world. We see his idea of spring, s ...more
Kay Mcgriff
I don't listen in on a discussion about picture books before someone speaks up in praise of Kevin Henkes. Old Bear was the only title on the shelf, so I grabbed it. Old Bear falls asleep in his den for the winter, but his dreams carry him throughout the seasons. I loved the illustrations that brought the simple text to life. I want to nap in flowers as big as trees and catch blueberries on my tongue as they rain from the sky.
Diane
Old Bear; Kevin Henkes (2008) Harper Collins Children

Late one fall, even before the first snow fall, Old Bear curled up in a den for a long winter's nap. Off into a deep sleep, full of pleasant dreams, he dreams of springtime and his earlier days as a playful cub -- huge colorful flowers as large as trees. Summertime with the sun as big and bright as a giant daisy, and autumn dreams with all the colorful reds, orange and browns. Even the cold winter made him dream of ice and pretty bright stars.
Andrew
Kevin Henkes is (just my humble opinion here) one of the greatest children's book authors out there. I truly think he will be, deserves to be, canonized alongside the heavyweights: Sendak, Ezra Keats, Wiesner and Elisha Cooper. Mr. Henkes understands children, and doesn't forget what it was like to be one. His art also equals his immense talent for writing. Highly recommend just for the art.
Alice
I admit, I was a little slow to warm up to Kevin Henkes book. Besides "Lilly and the Plastic Purple Purse", and "Kitten Moon" I wasn't very familiar with his books. I didn't like some at first and now...wow! I am a fan! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the illustrations in this book and I love the story! I love the seasons it talks about and the life of the bear! Fun one!
Rosa Cline
In this story Old Bear was sleeping and he started dreaming; he dreamed about each season of the year and what he enjoys most about them all. And when he wakes up it's spring and he thinks he's still dreaming when he's not. (My review isn't written well, but it was a nice story to read outloud to my 2 year old granddaughter)
Lavonnia
Old Bear is a picture book that has received numerous awards and recognitions. The intended reading age range for this book is (N)Nursery, ages birth through 5 years old and that may extend to the (P)Primary age range from 5 years through 12 years old.

The book describes the hibernation season for bears. During Old Bears hibernation he dreamed through the summer, spring and fall and when he awoke all the snow was gone.

I have given this book a 4 star rating for the illustrations that were displaye
Bethley Giles
Henkes, K. (2008). Old Bear. New York: Greenwillow Books.
School Library Journal Starred Review, Best Book
Choice

Old Bear is the story of a bear who goes into hibernation and dreams about experiencing each of the seasons as a young cub. While I enjoyed this book, the story did not live up to my expectations. However,illustrations are beautiful, with bold lines and bright colors. This book would be excellent for a unit on hibernation or the seasons, or language arts lessons on imagery.
Ruhama
A delightful take on waht goes on when a bear hibernates. Henkes takes us intot he bear's mind, where he dreams (in vivid colors) of each season, ending with winter. By this time, it's spring outside and Old Bear is thrilled to find it's not just a dream anymore. I really enjoyed the silliness of the dreams, as well as the use of color in each season. The illustrations are done in the style of A Good Day and Kitten's First Full Moon, which fits the style (bears should be fat, right?). The endpap ...more
Aprils
I read the board book version of this book. I loved the colors. This is a great way to teach children about hibernation. The text was beautifully and poetically written. I loved the book when it said that "the sky was blazing with stars of all colors."
Jocelyne
Beautiful images, coloured to create a sense of each of the seasons, makes this book a pleasure to read. Old Bear dreams of the passing seasons while tucked away for the winter. He awakens to find a beautiful spring blooming instead of the anticipated snow.
Russell
Part Inception, part Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, the titular character explores a fantastical dreamscape. Perhaps he gathered some peyote for the long winter. I know I'll be dreaming of blueberry rain after this book.
Melynda Moore
What: This book is about Old Bear and what he dreams while he is hibernating. As he dreams, he moves throughout the different seasons. When he wakes up again and steps out of his cave, it is finally springtime.

So What: This book could introduce topics such as hibernating and/or the seasons. Student's must know what happens during different seasons and how the environment around them changes.

Now What: The students could each create their own diorama of a season of their choice. In order to make
Kathryn Brewer
This book is a good children's book with nice illustrations. It focuses on bears and dreams. It's a quick read so it's an easy book to fit into a busy schedule if the class is focusing on animals.
Tim Vandenberg
An Exuberant, Joyful, Dreamy Celebration of the colors & joys of life! Henkes is a Master!

Winner of the Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor for Picture Book (2009).

HIGHLY recommended!
  • The Bicycle Man
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • The Princess and the Pig
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Blackout
  • The Widow's Broom
  • Spring Is Here
  • Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf
  • A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse, #1)
  • The Sandwich Swap
  • Mister Seahorse
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...
Chrysanthemum Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse Kitten's First Full Moon Owen Wemberly Worried