Start by marking “Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology” as Want to Read:
Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology

Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  735 ratings  ·  22 reviews
What would it take to end violence against women of color? How does the mainstream antiviolence movement help? How does it hinder? When will we admit that repositioning women of color at the center of the movement--women more often harmed by the police, prisons, and border patrols than aided by them--means that we must address state violence?

In Color of Violence, INCITE! d
Published August 1st 2006 by South End Press

To ask other readers questions about Color of Violence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Color of Violence

Overall, this is an excellent radical feminist/womanist anthology. As with any anthology, there are a few duds, but overall it asks critical questions about the nature, scope, impact, and response to violence for women of color. Some of my favorite articles were:

Federal Indian Law and Violent Crime by Sarah Deer

A Call for Consistency by Nadine Naber

"National Security" and the Violation of Women by Sylvanna Falcon

The Color of Violence by Haunani-Kay Trask

Pomo Woman, Ex-prisioner Speak Out by Stor
Bart
Most of the essays in Color of Violence are pretty amazing. In "Heteropatriarchy and the Three Pillars ["Slavery/Capitalism, Genocide/Capitalism, Orientalism/War] of White Supremacy" Andrea Smith asserts that right-wingers are justified for claiming that "the colonial world order depends on heteronormativity" (72). Of course, Smith wants this world order dismantled. The anthology is very broad, authors writing on issues from violence of international institutions/capitalism on disabled folks in ...more
Meen
I've read several chapters of this one over the course of various gender-related classes, but I don't think I've read the entire thing, so it's still on the to-read list. (But with five stars for the stuff I have read.)
Michelle
Jul 29, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in racial, economic and gender justice movements.
Shelves: sex-and-gender
I've become an utter fan of INCITE! I think they link together much of the most remarkable grassroots organizing in the country. The theoretical and strategic questions they are grappling with, the individuals on the national committee, and much (though not all) of their local committee work couldn't be more remarkable or needed. The Color of Violence, their first book, is on the one hand a catalog of much of the best revolutionary movements across the country. On the other, their is an emergent ...more
Tinea
Feb 29, 2008 Tinea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dudes, white ladies, everyone. for real.
Recommended to Tinea by: "Globalized Sexualities" class
This book is an intervention in both second wave feminism—-single-issue, white dominated sexual assault support-—and anti-oppression activism that condones or ignores sexualized violence.

The central premise of the The Color of Violence is that anti-sexualized violence work cannot be separated from anti-oppression work. Violence against women includes sexualized violence and all other forms of violence. Violence experienced by women, and especially by women of color, lower-income women, and quee
Lauren
Sep 11, 2007 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who cares about ending violence against women
This anthology is pretty much an indespensable tool for learning more about violence against women and how to organize against it. The authors consistently frame "violence" in the context of racial and gender oppression and move the term beyond interpersonal and domestic abuse to an understanding of violence at the hands of the state. Police brutality, prisons, the military, the border patrol, all are skewered on INCITE's rhetorical lance as insitutions upholding patriarchy and white supremacy. ...more
Allee
I feel like only a super dense white feminist would intrude on this book with her critiques... As an outsider for whom the book is neither by nor for, I value and appreciate it for the insight it gave me. I had vague ideas that law enforcement is not a friend or a tool for disadvantaged communities, but I never realized the extent to which it could doubly victimize women of color who attempt to turn to it for help. The last chapter was especially helpful since it actually got into what community ...more
Millicent
This book should be read if just for Andrea Smith's essay: 'Heteropatriarchy and the Three Pillars of White Supremacy'. She nailed it right there.
Avory
This is an excellent anthology that I would recommend particularly to feminists of color but also to all white feminists, because the essays within not only summarize some problems of importance to women of color, but really give some constructive suggestions for activists who are ignoring the needs of women of color (whether aware or not).
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
Splendid. Absolutely-fucking-amazing. This book took me a while to read; that was only because there was sooooo much packed in it and so many good essays. I had to read it in 3-5 essay clumps and then put it down because there was practically an overload of information and analysis. Everyone should read this. Amazing.
Emelda
I don't think I'm in the right headspace for this book right now. I just couldn't get into any of the essays I tried to read. Several of the writings just made me rather read the authors' full books. There were some good quotes I gleaned, but finishing this book would have felt like a chore, so I gave up.
Jill
If you haven't thought of these topics, I think this would be a good starter book. As someone who has thought of many of these topics in depth, I often found some of the analysis a little less than rigorous. Either way it was still thought provoking.
Lauren
Overall a fantastic book dealing with violence, whether it be coming from the state or within ones home, that centers the wisdom, experience and needs of women of color. It is not a perfect book, but it is an invaluable one.
Liz
pretty much every essay is excellent. this could be approximately 1/8 as good and still be worth buying; it could be about 1/35 as good and still be worth getting from the library.
I read about 1/2 of this book then decided it was time for some fiction. It's very good, so far, and I look forward to the organizing section once I'm up for some NF again.
Jason
This book is incredible. I'm especially excited about the article on Heteropatriarchy and the three pillars of white supremacy.
Scott Neigh
Reviewed here.
Amy
buy this book and keep it on a table near your bed and read it all the time.
Hilary
Oct 15, 2007 Hilary marked it as to-read
i'm soo excited to read this book!
Amelie
Jul 05, 2007 Amelie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone with privalige
read dis book become an incite! ally
Kate Watson
READ THIS IMMEDIATELY TOO
jennifer
Oct 10, 2008 jennifer marked it as half-read
sheel's sister!
Kingdon Xd
Kingdon Xd marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Celosia
Celosia marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Crystal Salas
Crystal Salas marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Wd
Wd marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Aahila
Aahila marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Jeezy's Inthabuilding
Jeezy's Inthabuilding marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex
  • Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty
  • Feminism FOR REAL: Deconstructing the Academic Industrial Complex of Feminism
  • This Bridge We Call Home: Radical Visions for Transformation
  • Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism
  • Undivided Rights: Women of Color Organizing for Reproductive Justice
  • Loving in the War Years
  • Feminism without Borders: Decolonizing Theory, Practicing Solidarity
  • But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • Captive Genders: Trans Embodiment and the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Exile and Pride: Disability, Queerness, and Liberation
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women
  • killing rage: Ending Racism
Andrea Smith is a Cherokee intellectual, feminist, and anti-violence activist. Smith's work focuses on issues of violence against women of color and their communities, specifically Native American women.

Along with Nadine Naber, she co-founded INCITE! Women of Color Against Violence in 2000, and she plays a prominent role in its National Planning Committee. INCITE! is a national grassroots organiza
More about Andrea Lee Smith...
Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide Native Americans and the Christian Right: The Gendered Politics of Unlikely Alliances The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities Sexuality, Nationality, Indigeneity