Start by marking “The River Cottage Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The River Cottage Cookbook

The River Cottage Cookbook

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  704 ratings  ·  20 reviews
First published in the United Kingdom in 2001, THE RIVER COTTAGE COOKBOOK quickly became a hit among food cognoscenti around the world. Now tailored for American cooks, this authoritative and animated ode to eating well is one part manifesto and one part guidebook for choosing and storing food grown in the garden, butchered from prize animals, or foraged or caught locally. ...more
Published March 25th 2008 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The River Cottage Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The River Cottage Cookbook

Caitlin
I really enjoyed reading all the essays in between recipes on eating sustainably and knowing more about the provenance of your food. I'm unlikely to ever need much of the information on animal husbandry or squirrel skinning, but it was interesting and I have a greater appreciation for the food I bring into my home. As a cookbook this wasn't really my bag - too many exotic ingredients (which was kind of the point) and steps like hanging meat for three days in a cool dry place.

Michelle
This is one of those books to which I can't fairly give a star rating, because it's largely useless to me, but that doesn't make it a bad book by any means. Much of the book, as other reviewers mention, focuses on raising/growing your own food, and I think this book would be a truly amazing resources if you are interested in that lifestyle. It's a huge tome, and just FULL of information. However, as someone who has no garden space and certainly no room to raise my own animals for food, most of t ...more
Katharine
Wow. A huge, heavy book. Everything on how to choose breeds, prepare homes for, keep happy, kill, clean, and cook many animals. From the usual farm animals to wild game, to oddities like cuttlefish (and a great picture of the ink all over the bathtub). Also full information on how to prepare and grow a garden and information about all the vegetable and fruit choices. And how to choose fruit from the supermarket. And forage for mushrooms and wild berries. And pretty much anything else you could p ...more
Heather
The food was reminiscent of Nigel Slater's food, but not nearly as eye-catching. It was a great encyclopedia of food knowledge, however, and I found myself picking up a number of random food tidbits.
Lee Broderick
The central tenet of this book is that the year-round availability of ingredients in modern supermarkets has robbed us of much of their enjoyment. It's difficult to overstate the influence that this book had, and continues to have: it remains the definitive volume on seasonal cooking in Britain more than a decade on.

A wealth of information is contained on buying and harvesting ingredients - wildfood and farm & garden produce and this is supplemented by several recipes. The recipes mainly dra
Tim
The title really doesn't cover the contents.
This is the story of the brilliant River Cottage TV series.
With this book, and the right sources, you should be able to duplicate what he achieved.
A sort of up to date and more comprehensive guide to the father of self sufficiency, John Seymour.
Great read, great recipes, great photo's.
Even if we can't all live in this lifestyle we can dream and take on board some of the advice!
incidentally River Cottage can be seen on Google Maps satellite view, althou
Meredith
But I live in suburbia! At least half of this book is pie in the sky for me. Not that I have any great urge to go off and skin rabbits, make nettle soup, or anything. It's just that I can't. This shouldn't be marketed as a, "You could do this too!" book. Or maybe this lovely book was never meant for city-dwellers. I shouldn't be teasing my self-sustaining fantasies this cruelly.
P.S. The veg recipes look delicious, and the gardening section was inspiring! For maximum doability, however, I recomme
Rachel
What an amazing book! I live in the city so I won't be able to apply too many of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's tips, but this book is super packed with ways to produce healthy foods. So much information - it's like an Encyclopedia. Shows where all the cuts come from on the animals. Tells how to pick animals, raise them, breed them and everything. Tips for vegetables too! And the book has recipes throughout. A great reference for the knowing about your food.
Emily
I wish i lived near the sea so i could do down to the docks and haggle for cheap fresh crab and lobster, i mean he was talking about types of crab that you just can't find and i bet their pale white meat would be sweeter for the purple velvet on their claws. i want a farm, i want to eat my own suckling pig and make sausages and bacon and well yeah self sufficiency is a harsh mistress im not sure i could turn my garage into an abattoir. but STILL!!!
Catherine Woodman
This is a beautifully photographed book, and while I guess I would consider myself to be a convert, he is very preachy about what he thinks is wrong with the way we grow food. He says we should eat half as much meat as we do and pay twice as much for it, and I larely agree with that. The photos alone are worth getting the book out of the library
Elizabeth
This book filled me with all kinds of dangerous ideas about having my own flock, harvesting from my own fruit trees, and foraging in the woods. I would consider it more of a reference book for the aspiring homesteader than a cookbook. For that reason, I don't think I need a copy...yet.
lauren
Sep 24, 2008 lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone not offended by meat
Shelves: food
This is a fabulous cookbook. This guy is so enthusiastic about food and he goes into great poetic detail about everything from farm fresh produce to why you should raise and kill your own chickens. I haven't used any of the recipes from this book, but that's beside the point.
Dan Lenox
Someday, when I get bored with life in the city, this is the way I'm going to live. Not everyone can say they have pig slaughtering get-togethers once a year and a.)not be joking and b.)not be creepy. A great book about country life not just cooking.
Dee Marsh
A must for anyone living the smallholding dream. The recipes are good but the advice on animal husbandry and killing and preparing thereof is invaluable.
bookyeti
Not all of us can live the smallholding dream, but following along with Hugh's cookbooks are the next best thing. :) This guy is my hero!
chelsea
Beautiful photos - seems to be heavy on the meatiness, but I think it will be a good addition to the cookbook shelf...
Ally Hunter
in my next life i want to be married to this dude....solely for the good food.
John
If you loved the tv programme... you will definitely like this book.
Dee Marsh
A very useful as well as beautifully presented book.
Lili
Another lifestyle cookery book with some very good recipes.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Jenny's Book Life
Jenny's Book Life marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • French Provincial Cooking
  • English Food
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Thai Food
  • The River Cottage Mushroom Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #1)
  • Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • The Splendid Table
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is a British celebrity chef, smallholder, television presenter, journalist, food writer and "real food" campaigner, known for his back-to-basics philosophy.

A talented writer, broadcaster and campaigner, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is widely known for his uncompromising commitment to seasonal, ethically produced food and has earned a huge following through his River Cott
More about Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall...
The River Cottage Meat Book River Cottage Veg Every Day! River Cottage Every Day The River Cottage Family Cookbook The River Cottage Year