A Second Chance (Promises to Keep, #4)

A Second Chance (Promises to Keep #4)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  1,203 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Amy uses the second chance she had hardly dared dream of to make up for the wasted years. But a familiar face from long ago makes an unwelcome reappearance, threatening her new-found happiness. Payback has more than one meaning, and sometimes people get what they deserve.

"A Second Chance" is the sequel to the three-volume work "Promises to Keep"
Published 2009 by Smashwords (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Second Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Second Chance

Erin
I cannot express how much I loved this series. Ms. Parkinson's writing is so engaging and real that I found myself excited to escape into the world of her characters each time I picked up one of her books. To say I am WAITING for the next book in this series would be an understatement! Thank you Shayne for giving me weeks of enjoyment and reminding me how lucky I am to LOVE to read :)
Kristen
I read books 1 and 4. I did not read 2 and 3. While I may have missed some things, I am glad over all that I did not read the middle two. I liked Amy too much to read about her horrible marriage. I do wish I knew a little more about some of the other characters, like her older brothers. They are not really mentioned in the last novel so I have no idea where they went or how their lives turned out.

I was very glad that Amy was finally able to have peace in her life. She needed and deserved to have...more
Erin
Fantastic reading except for the big mistake I made upon starting the first novel; I wasn't aware it was part of a series! I felt like too little was happening to move the storyline along. Page after page of mundane Little House on the Prairie like lives of the characters set in New Zealand had me wondering when any developments were going to occur. To my surprise and delight, I realized there were three more books. Then it began to make sense, and I realized I was onto just the kind of storytel...more
Lisa
Well, What can I say.......

I absolutely loved these books. I fell for every character, good and bad. For a story to be able to provoke so many emotions in a reader is a rare thing. The fact that it wasn't full all sweetness and light and happy endings made them even more real. I do agree with another reader as I would have liked to have known how John and Thomas got along in their lives. As for the ending, I'm not sure if I liked it or was annoyed! I thought for a few moments that my kindle had...more
Heidi Harsch
This Series was the best I've read in a very long time!

This was the fourth book in the series. I dreaded it coming to an end. Amy captured my heart in book one as being a sweet and loving country girl. At a young age she experienced so much loss and pain but never lost her kindness and compassion for others.

The second book was very frustrating and difficult to get through. It broke my heart to see Amy be physically and mentally abused by not only her step mother and husband but by her son as wel...more
Diane
Of the four books in the series -- this is sort of a follow up book to the trilogy -- I think this one fell short of the others. It seemed a little forced, to me, as far as story line and the pace felt forced as well. I will say that it pretty neatly wraps up the loose ends that the trilogy had left hanging but it almost wraps them up TOO neatly.

I still definitely recommend the series as a whole if you like this genre!
Marilyn
This fourth installment of the Promises to Keep saga, set in 19th and early 20th century New Zealand, is as much of a page turner as the prior three. This one is by far the most positive, with some good things happening to our heroine, Amy. Parkinson does a good job of demonizing Amy's early fiancé' and lover, Jimmy, who reappears in this book in person for the first time since the first book. My only complaint is that all of the qualities that originally attracted Amy to Jimmy have disappeared....more
Melissa
This is the 4th book in the series and is a satisfying conclusion. Amy finally gets the chance to relax a little and leave all the difficulties of her past for awhile. However, the reappearance of a particularly lothesome character threatens Amy's new found happiness.
Mary E
I thought this book would bring closure to Amy's Saga. In many ways it did, but there's so much more. Frank and Lizzie, David, Beth, Maise!...so many great characters. I hope she write another sequel.
Tia B
This has got to be one of my all time favourite books. The characters are so well developed, and the story is realistic in such ways that at times it took great effort not to throw my kindle out the window in pure frustration at Amy's naïveté and vulnerability to the advances of jimmy. Being around the same age as Amy when I first read this book, it intrigued me more than it might other young people as I found Amy quite relatable, even though I, and many others, are nothing like her. I'm not eas...more
Jazmine
I was really satisfied with the conclusion to Amy's story, even though I found myself getting quite impatient with a few aspects, as I kept wondering if she would get the second chance she really deserved.
Amy, in fact earned several second chances with a lot of things in the end. Happiness was to be found not just in one aspect of her life, but in all areas.
This wasn’t a ‘and they lived happily ever after’ scenario. This was a descriptive, long-winded, well-earned continuation of Amy’s life’s...more
Elizabeth Bailey
I think I've got muddled with 3 and 4 on this series. Suffice to say, as I've said in the other reviews, that this was an absorbing and entertaining read for the duration of the four books. I really enjoyed the development of Amy's and Lizzie's stories, and the youngsters growing up. Some wonderful characters had been met and enjoyed along the way and it was sad to see some of them go, although good to welcome the new ones. A very well written series altogether.
Donna
Finally Amy is at peace with her life in this book. It was hard for me in the first 3 books, but at the same time I was unable to put them down as it was wonderful reading and following her life and the lives of all of the people of that era and in that community of New Zealand. From a young girl of just 12 in the first book "Sentence of Marriage" thru this one she has grown into a wonderful woman, gone thru many difficult trials, happy times, children, losses, etc and still found happiness in e...more
Dawn
A wonderful series

This story about Amy and her family and life were a wonderful adventure. I loved reading about Amy as a child and watching her grow up. this may sound funny, but Amy became a treasured friend for me, crying and smiling through out her story. on one hand I couldn't wait to turn the page, but on the other hand knowing that I was that much closer to the end of the series. I loved this series. so worth reading.
Angie
While this is a great addition to the Promises To Keep series , it would be a great stand alone book as well . Unlike the first three books in the series which seem to move from one to the other , this book seems to fill the reader in on things covered in the previous books . Again a great stand alone , but I found it just a little distracting having read the series .
This is a much lighter read than the first three books and it does a heart good to see Amy finally living a lighter life . I am...more
Patsy Chastang
This is th fourth book in the series Promises to Keep. This book takes all the characters and gives all good ending which ties all the books together. This is a great story and a wonderful author. I enjoyed every one of the books. It's takes you back to the 1800's in New Zealand. Once you pick them up to read its hard to put them down. There are so many very sad parts that will break your heart but life was hard back then. The author has written some wonderful books with so much emotion in every...more
Marion Galvin
So very real!

so great a conclusion to a collection of books.wonderful in detail, lengthy enough to fulfill the needs of the reader. Great heroic characters. everything you could want...romance,strife,sadness,and joy. makes you appreciate the advances in technology. highly recommend the entire collection by this author.
Irene Marie Dawson
Book four

Our heroine continues to amaze.Not since Follett's "Pillar's of the earth" have I enjoyed reading a series so much.Well written historical saga of one woman's struggle as she ages from a young girl raised with love to a woman who overcomes an abusive marriage and continues to find joy in her world.
Verity Brown

If the ending of Settling the Account still left you wanting more, this book delivers. Almost too much.

In contrast to the first three books in the Promises to Keep series, which were quite dark, this book errs on the side of being too light. After 20 years of nothing going right in Amy's life, suddenly everything seems to magically work out for her, including a fairly unrealistic take-down of the guy who did her wrong back in book 1. Since the most compelling thing about this series is its reali...more
Karen Jernigan
Fantastic Series!

This series captured and held my attention with zero effort. I'm in awe of the character development and the way the author addresses important topics that we take for granted as rights today, but which were taboo in days gone by.
Dianna Miller
Wonderful

Wonderful

Although I wish things might have turned out differently this was a wonderfully memorable series. I can assure you that I will be reading it again and again in the future.

Sharon Jones
This is book #4 and I am still engrossed with the characters waiting anxiously to find out what happens to them and how they cope with the problems of day-to-day survival.

I was not disappointed in this book and found that the 4th book is still as good as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes a series tends to get lax in its research or strength of story but this still held my attention and I am anxious to get on to the 4th book. I am addicted. Plus this is not a story about murder, blood, killing, may...more
Lynn Diamond

Great book

wonderful story. a book you won't want to lay down until it is finished. the story of Amy is complete with this book.
Sarah Klein

Great book

Once you start these four (4) books it's extremely hard to put them down. I highly recommend them to all
Billie Turknett
Excellent

The best, hands down, book of the series. I love Amy as a family member and I hope to read from this author again real soon.
Celia
Very enjoybable light read. I got the first book in the series free and ended up buying the other three and very quickly reading the other three.

I have some regrest at not being able to give the series five stars as I enjoyed these books very much but I only give five starts to books that have changed my world view.

I think Ms. Parkinson might improve her series if she gave more of the history of New Zealand where she might become a top historical novelist. I found I wanted to know more about New...more
Renee
Enjoyable Read

So much to tie together but the flow was good and the characters were complete. I enjoyed the ending and wasn't left wondering what happened to any of the other characters who were significant to the series.
Jeannie
I have given each book in this series, but probably should have given them 5, owing to the fact that, once begun, I could not put them down! Great reads all!
Roger
This is sort of book 4 of the story. Whether it stands alone is hard for me to say. It might, but you'll get more out of it if you read the earlier parts. While the last story ended satisfactorily there were some loose ends that this one tidies up nicely relating to some unfinished business from the first book. Boy, do some people get what they deserve! There is also quite a bit of payback for Amy's grim years when things are a lot happier. That part ought not to work because there's not enough...more
Susie
In this final book about Amy she is a widow reunited with her daughter she gave up when she was born. She is free of the harsh farm life and living in a large city where she is living a life she never dreamed she would live. I found myself celebrating with her. Being a hopeless romantic I had hoped she would fall in love, but I was so pleased to read she was finally happy. Shayne's books have been a welcome addition to my library and I would recommend them to anyone who wants a realistic look at...more
  • Tales of St. Austin's (School Stories, #3)
  • The Denniston Rose
  • Whirl of the Wheel
  • The Cattle Baron's Reluctant Mistress
  • Just Patty
  • The Day the Flowers Died
  • Christmas Hookup
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • The Girl In The Red Hoodie (The Grimm Curse)
  • The Children
  • Ashes of Roses (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #4)
  • Sex God
  • World Odyssey (The World Duology, #1)
  • The Scholar (The Fall Series, #2)
  • Witch Rising (Witch Song #2.5)
  • The Legend of the Firefish (Trophy Chase Trilogy)
  • The Highlander's Dangerous Temptation (The MacLeries #7)
  • Song of the Shiver Barrens (Mirage Makers, #3)
Sentence of Marriage (Promises to Keep, #1) Mud and Gold (Promises to Keep, #2) Settling the Account (Promises to Keep, #3) Daisy's War All I Want