Start by marking “Settling the Account (Promises to Keep, #3)” as Want to Read:
Settling the Account (Promises to Keep, #3)

Settling the Account (Promises to Keep #3)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  2,839 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
Amy watches in growing fear the worsening confrontation between her husband and her son, until she realises that only one of them can survive it. How long can she keep them apart?

The final volume in "Promises to Keep". It follows directly on from Book Two, "Mud and Gold".
Published 2009 by Smashwords (first published 2006)

Sep 18, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
I have already reviewed Sentence of Marriage, but I'm going to include the entire series plus A Second Chance in this review because they really go together and could be one book (length permitting). In fact, somewhere in the middle of Mud and Gold, I realized what other saga this series brings to mind. If you read and loved Helen Hooven Santmeyer's ...And Ladies of the Club, I think you'll love this series.

These books kept me up at night. I dreamed of the characters. I can't get enough of this
May 24, 2011 Susie rated it it was amazing
This is the first free Kindle book (out of dozens) to which I have purchased the sequels. I couldn't stop reading them. The Promises to Keep series is extremely well-written. The historical content is well-researched, the characters are very well-developed and even though the books are long and detailed, I found every detail interesting.

The main downside, as others have mentioned, is that there is no closure until the end of the third book.

The third book in the series, Settling the Account, was
Jackie Leitson
Dec 22, 2010 Jackie Leitson rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love these books! Just wish they were in print too so my friends without ereaders could enjoy them!
Nov 02, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I have rated the other two books as five stars because they were that good. If I could rate this one higher I would. This is book 3 in Amy's story. And as ever she deals with broken heart after broken heart. This book is also just as much Lizzie and Frank's book as it is Amy's. The first book is totally just Amy's but book two is a combination of Amy's and Lizzie and Frank's. Though Frank is the narrator of their story.

This book takes you into the lives of our characters as fully grown adults. B
May 28, 2015 Erika rated it really liked it
This was my favorite of the series, mostly because of the happy ending FINALLY!!! But I loved Lizzie and Maudie's relationship. I loved reading about David and Amy's sweet relationship. I was so intrigued by Amy's care of Charlie and her patience and long suffering. The characters were so rich and real. So well written.
Apr 18, 2014 Birgit rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the Promises to Keep trilogy. There is another one called Second Chance which follows on from this one which I must read. The trilogy is about rural New Zealand in the late 1800's where two best friends (cousins) Amy and Lizzie marry two vastly different men and the different turn their lives take.

Lizzie marries a good man and over the trilogy have eight children and one grandchild and their story is a kind of rags to riches.

Amy on the other hand falls in love, gets pr
Nov 14, 2011 Elisa rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book of the series "Promises to keep" and I must say it was almost impossible to put it down. Every detail is so captivating, it always leaves you wanting more. After all the hardship Amy has endured in her journey, from her early teen years to now a woman of almost 40, it was refreshing to see a glimpse of hope and happiness in her horizon. I thought it was outstanding how the author managed to bring a bit of closure to certain aspects of Amy's life without making it hard to bel ...more
Nov 04, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
absolutely loved this series.......Right from the beginning the characters were real, and easy to relate to. i was wrapped up in their lives and kept hoping for a better life for Amy. I was elated at the ending.
Sheila Judson
Jun 11, 2013 Sheila Judson rated it it was amazing
Marcia Brineman
Jun 26, 2015 Marcia Brineman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This was the third in the series. They seemed to be about very mundane topics; life in the late 1800's, cooking, cleaning, working endlessly on the farm. But the story was compelling and I enjoyed them all.

This is, overall, a good book. However, it seems to be about twice as long as it needs to be. Part of that may be because the book is the stories of more than one couple: maybe it would have been better to split them apart, though.
As part of a series, of course the characters are fairly well established. The new additions are a little sketchy at first, first this author has a knack for the right words to define a character, depending on descriptions not only of clothing, but a
Jun 20, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it
This is the third of a series of highly addictive books about turn of the century (20th century) New Zealand. Well written, with very engaging characters, Ms. Parkinson has done a good job of closing most of the open questions remaining in the plot. It is nice to see something good finally happen to Amy, the long-suffering heroine, although what happens to her good-for-nothing husband is entirely too good for him, making Amy, once again, a little too good to be true. But Amy's cousin Lizzie, her ...more
Zoe Jussel
Dec 25, 2015 Zoe Jussel rated it liked it
This was the third in the series by Shane Parkinson, which quite intrigued me. I got quite fed up with the pathetic attitude that one of the protagonists displayed toward her hideous, abusive overbearing husband. It was just too unbelievable that ANYone could be so weak hearted with that sort of treatment. Yes, she felt she had to stay as it was arranged, but once her boys were gone, to have her still be under the thumb of the brute was hard to take. I kept waiting for me to keel over and die, l ...more
Nov 27, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
This was Book 3 in the Promises to Keep series. I loved this book - finally things turned around a bit for Amy! The story of Lizzie and Frank continue as a parallel story line, with their daughter, Maudie, growing up and becoming an important character. Amy actually becomes reunited with her long lost daughter, Ann, who she had given up for adoption. Amy's husband, Charlie, passes away thankfully, and things are looking quite good for her. She finally is getting some needed relief. I was a littl ...more
Sara Truscott
Aug 19, 2012 Sara Truscott rated it it was amazing
This book started off slower than the first two but by the end I was sold again. Excellent story. I'll miss Amy.
Tia B
Dec 27, 2013 Tia B rated it it was amazing
This has got to be one of my all time favourite books. The characters are so well developed, and the story is realistic in such ways that at times it took great effort not to throw my kindle out the window in pure frustration at Amy's naïveté and vulnerability to the advances of jimmy. Being around the same age as Amy when I first read this book, it intrigued me more than it might other young people as I found Amy quite relatable, even though I, and many others, are nothing like her. I'm not eas ...more
Lynn Ricards
May 04, 2014 Lynn Ricards rated it liked it
This was a good book because the author writes well. I'm hanging with the story through three books wondering when Amy will get her happy ending. Nope, now her children are getting beat up, but instead of getting help from dad next door or her best friend who would slay dragons for her, she stays with the abuser. Victim mentality?? You would think she would at least help her children. Most sane people would. Somewhere in this scenario I decided she was just stupid and the author enjoyed writing ...more
Lynelle Clark
A Build up to create a very good read. I must say that I really loved the way the author just keep on adding to the series. Building it with each chapter so that you stayed glued to the series. I can not remember that I ever read a series so quickly then this one.
With Amy's son's growing and the Anglo Boer War looming in the distance Amy was faced with decision to save her family. How difficult it would be at the end she could not fathom. But once again the tears flowed in this book.
Amy was now
Jan 01, 2013 Alexia rated it it was amazing
After reading the severely negative reviews on Amazon, I was a little skeptical to how this trilogy would turn out (there is still the addition, Second Chances, to read); everyone was stating how depressing the books were...well, now that I've made it through all three books, I have to say that they were wrong. Is Amy's life full of hardships, sadness and struggles? Yes. Is the ending all bubbles and giggles and happiness? No. But it's REAL which I love. The author doesn't lead you through a fic ...more
Jun 01, 2012 Marji rated it liked it
This is the third book in the Promises to Keep trilogy. I can only give it three stars for several reasons.
1. It can't and won't stand alone as a single book. It is merely a continuation of the second book, which is a continuation of the first. As if another chapter were being written, and it was broken into 3 volumes just for sheer size. Most other trilogy's I've ever read, each book can and will stand alone, but are enhanced by the reading of the others. Not so in this case. If you hadn't read
Oct 09, 2015 Jschiersch rated it really liked it
Read the three books in this series in record time. Couldn't put them down and couldn't wait to get back to them if I did put them down. The story of late 19th century settlers in rural New Zealand was both ordinary (ordinary lives, ordinary people) and extraordinary (the characters, the situations, the times). Parkinson's account of these families is riveting, making the reader drop back in time to an era of intense hard work and deprivation alongside the seldom felt, small joys of life.
Dec 15, 2014 Cathy rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful series of books. I just completed the 3rd one and totally loved it. I read all three straight through and could not wait to find out what was going to happen next. Amy's sons grown and her oldest acting out and cursing at his ma just like his dad. Charlie was so mean to Amy for 20 years of marriage but almost at the end of the book there is a revelation that made me sad for what could have been.
Amy's cousin goes on and has 8 children all told. Her first born daughter marries
Jun 06, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing
Marietjie Steyn
Feb 06, 2016 Marietjie Steyn rated it it was amazing
Wow! Op skool het ek geleer van ronde karakters en taal het my so beïndruk dat ek Afrikaans-Nederlands gaan studeer het, net om uit te vind dis 'n lot taalgeskiedenis en nie praktiese toepassing nie, maar nietemin: Nog nooit in my lewe het ek so 'n ronde karakter soos Charlie teëgekom nie. Om vanaf die meeste haat ooit in my hart te beweeg na snikke oor sy smart, sy swaarkry, sy drome en sy leed, is ondenkbaar. Wat 'n wonderlike reeks! (Lanklaas so getjank.)
Nov 26, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok
If you haven't read the first two instalments don't bother trying to get your head around what has gone on in the past and who are all these people.?

Amy wasn't the main character in this part three of the series. This let the novel drift around other family members aimlessly.
Sarah coming late into the book, I felt was a complete shambles, shallow character building and didn't flow well.
Should I continue with this series?
Liz Banks
Aug 25, 2014 Liz Banks rated it it was amazing
By the time I finished the three books in this series I was living more in New Zealand at the turn of the 20th century than I was in my own home. It was a deep look at another time and place with a heroine who made the best of what she had. I read "Sentenced to Marriage". "Mud and Gold" and this book because I cared about the characters and wanted to see what happened to them. The author does not take the easy way out.
Jan 17, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This 4 book serial held me spellbound this week. I couldn't stop reading and I'm sorry it ended. I have rarely purchased sequels for my Kindle, but after reading the first free volume, there was no stopping. Excellent character development, suspense without major crime scenarios, true to life living situations, and great historical context made this series a fantastic read. I won't rehash the story, except to say that Amy's life held my interest.
Denise Novak
Jun 02, 2015 Denise Novak rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the series, Promises to Keep.I have had trouble putting these books down. So well written, such excellent character development - you really care about these characters and I so want a hopeful ending for Amy. The historical research is very well done and adds so much to the storyline. I haven't quite finished this third installment and I've already purchased the 4th book.
Ruth Lehman
Aug 24, 2016 Ruth Lehman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I could hardly put this book down, as well as the previous two. Such interesting historical background to a story whose ending one must keep reading to get to. I hoped Amy would some day find her first born child, but was intrigued with her daily struggles with Charlie and beginning to think it was not to be. I am looking forward to book 4.
Dianna Miller
Aug 05, 2014 Dianna Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great saga

Great saga

I didn't give the 1st book in this series a good review because I thought it was supposed to be a I realize that it is a saga I can only give it the highest of's a wonderful story and I ready to start on the fourth book in the series. Bravo to the author, Shayne Parkinson!!!

• Tamar (Tamar Deane Trilogy #1)
  • The Denniston Rose
  • The Captive Wife
  • God Touched (The Queen's Blade, #0.75)
  • Дети Арбата. Книга 2. Страх
  • The Blue-Eyed General
  • Death by Devotion (Caribbean Murder, #9)
  • Trophy Child: Saving Parents from Performance, Preparing Children for Something Greater Than Themselves
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • Love Released (Women of Courage, #1)
  • Ripping the Bodice
  • A Lesson in Friendship (Lesson Series, #4)
  • Under the SS Shadow
  • Bishop's Reach (Bay Tanner, #6)
  • Prospect Street
  • NIV, Real-Life Devotional Bible for Women, Imitation Leather, Turquoise: Insights for Everyday Life
  • Alligator Lake
  • Unladylike Pursuits
I write historical novels set in New Zealand, starting in the 1880s. My sixth book, "After the Roses", takes the series to 1924. I'm fascinated by social history, particularly that of my own country. I was born in New Zealand, and apart from two years in England have lived here all my life. I'm married to my childhood sweetheart, who grew up in the farming valley that's the inspiration for my imag ...more
More about Shayne Parkinson...

Promises to Keep (4 books)
  • Sentence of Marriage (Promises to Keep, #1)
  • Mud and Gold (Promises to Keep, #2)
  • A Second Chance (Promises to Keep, #4)