I Hate My Bow!  (Hello Reader!, Level 1)

I Hate My Bow! (Hello Reader!, Level 1)

2.5 of 5 stars 2.50  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A furious and embarrassed dog hates the big frilly bow that his owners have put on the top of his head, and he wishes with all his heart that he could go play with his friends in the mud. By the author of Oink! Moo! How Do You Do?
Published December 1st 1996 by Cartwheel Books

Tortla
For some reason, I remembered the ending as different than it was. I won't ruin it for you, though. I'll just tell you that the moral is nonconformity, and I always thought it was about aquiescing to the demands of society and getting rid of that which does not suit your whims.
Julianna
This book was really stupid because the dog did not every learn a lesson, he manipulated and used his friends to get what he wanted and says hate way too much. It also encourages kids to be insecure with themselves when they have to do or wear something that they don't like. It also encourages disorder and confusion as the dog won't allow anything that restricts him. Sometimes rules are there to protect us and this book just teaches kids to break the rules and make a mess.
Sasha Thompson
I can see why this author thought this book might be cute for kids. It's a cute little sad puppy, but I don't think I would want my child reading this book. It is very negative and I don't want my kids growing up to hate everything. I probably wouldn't put this book in my classroom for my students to read for the same reason. I probably wouldn't recommend reading this to kids so they don't have such a pessimistic outlook on everything growing up.
Nicole Martin
When I was a child, I thought that this was a good book because it has a cute ending. Now that I am older, I don't think that I would read this to my own children. The dog in the book uses the word 'hate' too often. I do not want to send the message to my children that it is ok to say 'hate' like that. This being said, I did think that the ending is really cute because the dog learns how to love.
Hannah G.
I personally didn't like this book very much. First of all, this puppy hates a lot of things. I don't think the word "hate" should be tossed around so much, so lightly! I also didn't see any sort of moral lesson come out of it. To me, it was just a story about a grumpy dog who throws a fit and manipulates others to get his way.
Jennica Crockett
This isn't my favorite book. I think the word "hate" is a very strong word and I wouldn't want any of my children saying it all the time. This book is obviously meant for younger children because of the reading level. I also didn't like the story line, there was hardly a line. I wouldn't use this book in my classroom or my home.
Emily Galicia
I definitely did not like this book. I think that the message is both pessimistic and manipulative. I would not like to teach my students that the word "hate" is an okay word. I do not think I will ever use a book like this because it may give them ideas to do wrong things just to get whatever they want.

Lauren Briggs
I will never read this book in my future classroom. Growing up I could never use the word hate because of such a strong meaning it has behind it. As a future teacher I do not want my students to think that is an appropriate word to use. I also feel like this book does not have a good message associated with it.
Cami
Apr 02, 2014 Cami rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: april
I can see how the controversy in this book would make people want this banned from their classroom. But I also thought this book was kind of stupid. I wouldn't have it in my classroom because I thought it was boring. I guess some people would like it because of the cute dog, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Rachel
This main character is far to pessimistic and manipulative. I remember reading this book as a child but did not see this. I think if this book was read to a class or your children you would need to discuss and explain the book.
Deawna Olson
I don't really like this book. It takes about something the dog hates things. I don't think this is age appropriate even because it talks about hating things and not wanting to do anything.
Dolly
Jan 11, 2009 Dolly rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
I wasn't sure if I'd like a book with the word "hate" in the title and the first half of the book is "I hate" this and "I hate" that. Not exactly the kind of story I would like to read to children, but the kids picked it out because of the puppy on the cover. The illustrations are okay, but overall the book was not very good.
Julie
(age 5) I didn't like that the dog hated his bow and his bath and the baby and the cat and that those other dogs didn't want to play with the dog. He got sad. But then he said, "I have an idea!" and he gave his pretty bow to the cat. He gave the chain to the baby. Then they played in the mud.
Steve
A great book about problem solving and being friends with those want to be friends with you. For first graders.
Hugh
The baby grabs the dog's booty and it said "I hate this baby." That made me think of Caroline!
Janette
Miss A can read this no problem, and both girls love the pictures and story.
Shannon
I too, remember the ending differently. This dog.. hates stuff.
Rachel
Kristi
Kristi added it
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'll Always Love You Tyrone the Horrible Bunny Trouble (rev) I Love School! (Noodles: Scholastic Reader Level 1) Don't Cut My Hair!