Start by marking “I Hate My Bow! (Hello Reader!, Level 1)” as Want to Read:
I Hate My Bow!  (Hello Reader!, Level 1)

I Hate My Bow! (Hello Reader!, Level 1)

A furious and embarrassed dog hates the big frilly bow that his owners have put on the top of his head, and he wishes with all his heart that he could go play with his friends in the mud. By the author of Oink! Moo! How Do You Do?
Published December 1st 1996 by Cartwheel Books

To ask other readers questions about I Hate My Bow!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hate My Bow!

My fifth book for Banned Books Week. While I did like the ending, I didn't like the beginning. My Lord, that dog is terrible. Hating on this, hating on that. :(
Mar 30, 2015 Alyssa rated it did not like it
I did not like this book. I just didn't see anything positive that a child could get out of reading this book. It was much too negative for my liking. I also think that children are usually upbeat and happy and so for that reason I don't think they would enjoy the book too much either. Children already live in a world that seems to be more negative with each day that passes by they do not need to be exposed to it that much more in a book. There is also the word "hate" that is used over and over ...more
Jun 13, 2007 Tortla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chidderbooks, animals
For some reason, I remembered the ending as different than it was. I won't ruin it for you, though. I'll just tell you that the moral is nonconformity, and I always thought it was about aquiescing to the demands of society and getting rid of that which does not suit your whims.
Madisen Justesen
Mar 29, 2015 Madisen Justesen rated it did not like it
Shelves: controversial
I don't even know where to start with this book. I didn't really think much of this book when I first looked at it but after reading it, I can't say I enjoyed it. The book doesn't really teach any good lessons. It talks about hating things and manipulating your friends to get what you want. The story didn't really make any sense either. It moved to fast and had a strange ending. I understand it is a first level reader but the story wasn't that great and it doesn't teach any good lessons. I woul ...more
Cassie Paries
Mar 30, 2015 Cassie Paries rated it it was ok
This book is not a very uplifting or positive story. It is controversial because it is about a dog who hates everyone and everything. The dog hates that baby (who is a human person). Then the dog manipulates all those who she claims to "hate into helping her and doing things for her. After those who she hates do things for her she considers them to be her "friends". Its sends a negative message to kids that you should hate people unless you do things for you. Then when they do things for you the ...more
Lauryn Carroll
Dec 15, 2014 Lauryn Carroll rated it did not like it
I do not think that this book has any morals and it is not uplifting. I do not think stories always have to end up with a happy ending, but I think it should at least support good values. In this book there are no clear morals or values and is supposed to have a happy ending because the puppy got what she wanted, but I don't think it is promoting good values. The puppy may be cute, but what was the author trying to get at? I feel like pessimism can be very contagious and this book teaches bad ha ...more
Mar 26, 2015 Karissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: 25-controversial
When I first read this book, I thought it was okay, but when I saw the age it was directed at, I wasn't impressed. I think it teaches children about being picky, manipulative, and that saying hate is okay and gets you what you want in the end. I never want my children to be saying they hate things - especially people. I think that one page where the dog says he hates the baby is the biggest problem for me. I don't want my four year old walking around saying he hates this and thinking it's okay a ...more
Apr 09, 2014 Julianna rated it did not like it
Shelves: april
This book was really stupid because the dog did not every learn a lesson, he manipulated and used his friends to get what he wanted and says hate way too much. It also encourages kids to be insecure with themselves when they have to do or wear something that they don't like. It also encourages disorder and confusion as the dog won't allow anything that restricts him. Sometimes rules are there to protect us and this book just teaches kids to break the rules and make a mess.
Sasha Thompson
Apr 08, 2014 Sasha Thompson rated it it was ok
Shelves: april
I can see why this author thought this book might be cute for kids. It's a cute little sad puppy, but I don't think I would want my child reading this book. It is very negative and I don't want my kids growing up to hate everything. I probably wouldn't put this book in my classroom for my students to read for the same reason. I probably wouldn't recommend reading this to kids so they don't have such a pessimistic outlook on everything growing up.
Kenzie Cornelison
Dec 11, 2014 Kenzie Cornelison rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
I didn't care for this book. I would not have it in my classroom - I think that it would not be a good book to have younger kids read. Mostly because of the attitude of the dog. It is negative until about the last page. It also says the word "hate" over and over and over. I don't think that is something we want to teach students is okay. I also didn't like the end of the manipulitive friends. How you have to chagne for your friends.
Ryan Fenn
Dec 11, 2014 Ryan Fenn rated it did not like it
This is a very negative book that promotes pessimistic behavior. I didn't think that it is an appropriate book to be read amongst children, because it re-enforces over and over again the idea that it is okay to be fake and to hate everything. Children may struggle understanding what the moral is of this story, which I myself seem to not understand. I would not recommend this book to children.
Nicole Martin
Apr 07, 2014 Nicole Martin rated it it was ok
Shelves: april
When I was a child, I thought that this was a good book because it has a cute ending. Now that I am older, I don't think that I would read this to my own children. The dog in the book uses the word 'hate' too often. I do not want to send the message to my children that it is ok to say 'hate' like that. This being said, I did think that the ending is really cute because the dog learns how to love.
Brielle Bogenschutz
Dec 11, 2014 Brielle Bogenschutz rated it did not like it
I would not recommend this book. I don't think theres much to come out of it. One thing that I did not like about the book was that every sentence started with "I hate." It puts a whole negative outlook on the book and the book was also very manipulative. I would not read this to a classroom because it has a negative message and encourages disobedience.
Hannah G.
Apr 10, 2014 Hannah G. rated it did not like it
Shelves: april
I personally didn't like this book very much. First of all, this puppy hates a lot of things. I don't think the word "hate" should be tossed around so much, so lightly! I also didn't see any sort of moral lesson come out of it. To me, it was just a story about a grumpy dog who throws a fit and manipulates others to get his way.
Jennica Crockett
Apr 10, 2014 Jennica Crockett rated it it was ok
Shelves: april
This isn't my favorite book. I think the word "hate" is a very strong word and I wouldn't want any of my children saying it all the time. This book is obviously meant for younger children because of the reading level. I also didn't like the story line, there was hardly a line. I wouldn't use this book in my classroom or my home.
Dec 11, 2014 Rebekah rated it did not like it
The art work was well done, but I did not like the storyline at all.
The dog was manipulative and only used those around him to his advantage. The word hate is too strong to be teaching a beginning reader. I would not use this book to teach reading because it has a bad teaching moral and does not teach good language.
Kayleena Nielson
Dec 11, 2014 Kayleena Nielson rated it did not like it
I don't think this book is anywhere close to good at all. It shows pessimism and rebellion. In addition to that, shows it is acceptable to use your "friends" for your advantage. It does not teach good interaction skills and teaches it is okay to breaks rules. Oh, and also I don't like the word "hate" used so much.
Emily Galicia
Apr 06, 2014 Emily Galicia rated it did not like it
Shelves: april
I definitely did not like this book. I think that the message is both pessimistic and manipulative. I would not like to teach my students that the word "hate" is an okay word. I do not think I will ever use a book like this because it may give them ideas to do wrong things just to get whatever they want.

Lauren Briggs
Apr 04, 2014 Lauren Briggs rated it did not like it
Shelves: april
I will never read this book in my future classroom. Growing up I could never use the word hate because of such a strong meaning it has behind it. As a future teacher I do not want my students to think that is an appropriate word to use. I also feel like this book does not have a good message associated with it.
Jaycee Dixon
Dec 11, 2014 Jaycee Dixon rated it did not like it
I did not like the negativity in this book. The dog hates everything and I thought it was very pessimistic and degrading. I wouldn't read this to a class because it teaches them that it's okay to hate everything and be angry about it. The book seemed pointless to me and there wasn't really a story line.
Apr 02, 2014 Cami rated it it was ok
Shelves: april
I can see how the controversy in this book would make people want this banned from their classroom. But I also thought this book was kind of stupid. I wouldn't have it in my classroom because I thought it was boring. I guess some people would like it because of the cute dog, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Dec 16, 2014 Hillary rated it did not like it
Shelves: english-355
This is a giant dose of negativity! The little white puppy is negative and manipulative in every sense of the word. Unless I was teaching a unit on health and how important being a good friend is, and using this book as an example of "what not to do," I wouldn't use it!
Nicole Packer
Dec 11, 2014 Nicole Packer rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book was a really irritating book for me just because this dog hated everything and then changed himself to make friends with things that he hated before. I didn't really enjoy reading the book very much and I definitely wouldn't out this one in my home or in the classroom.
Dec 15, 2014 Mari rated it did not like it
This book is an easy read for kids but teaches a very bad message. To be manipulative and change for other people. This is an awful book! I will never put this on my self. It's not worth it. Plus it is not a very creative story. I do not recommend this.
Kaylyn Bud
Mar 31, 2015 Kaylyn Bud rated it did not like it
This dog seems very manipulative. Only gets friends that can help him and the dog uses those friends. This isn't something I would want to teach children. Also, it seems very negative because the dog talks about all the things it hates.
Jenna West
Mar 26, 2015 Jenna West rated it did not like it
This book is so negative, I would never want my children to read it and it is definitely one book that I will be banning from my classroom. I couldn't believe how negative this book was, and it had no moral to take away to teach.
Apr 02, 2014 Rachel rated it did not like it
Shelves: april
This main character is far to pessimistic and manipulative. I remember reading this book as a child but did not see this. I think if this book was read to a class or your children you would need to discuss and explain the book.
Deawna Olson
Apr 02, 2014 Deawna Olson rated it did not like it
Shelves: april
I don't really like this book. It takes about something the dog hates things. I don't think this is age appropriate even because it talks about hating things and not wanting to do anything.
Mar 26, 2015 Madison rated it did not like it
Super pessimistic. The dog is cute and all, but he says he hates the baby.... Why would a parent or teacher want to promote so much hate? This book is written for young children.
Lauren Busdicker
Mar 31, 2015 Lauren Busdicker rated it really liked it
Shelves: controversial
I thought this book was cute! I don't see how it would be controversial because it had a theme of working together in order to be happy. I think children would love this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • "I Can't," Said the Ant
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
  • I Love You the Purplest
  • Sleepy Dog
  • May I Please Have a Cookie?
  • Today Is Monday
  • Santa's Stuck
  • Wow! Ocean!
  • A Second Is A Hiccup
  • Biscuit's Pet & Play Halloween
  • Five Little Penguins Slipping on the Ice
  • The Story of Peppa Pig (Peppa Pig)
  • Duck & Goose, 1, 2, 3