Start by marking “The Retired Kid” as Want to Read:
The Retired Kid

The Retired Kid

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  347 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews

"It's been a wonderful eight years, but I need a break."

At the Happy Sunset Retirement Community, there's Ethel, Myrtle, Harvey, and Tex. And then there's Brian. The retired kid. He's here to escape school, homework, and daily chores.

But retired living has its challenges, especially when you're sixty years younger than everybody else!
Published June 24th 2008 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Retired Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Retired Kid

Sylvia
Apr 13, 2009 Sylvia rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Ya ampuunn buku ini lucu banget sih! Idenya itu lho.. kreatip (pake P)

Ada seorang anak, namanya Brian. Tiap hari dia sekolah, belajar, latihan sepak bola, kursus biola, kursus vokal, ngajak anjingnya jalan-jalan, jagain adiknya, belum lagi harus makan sayur. Jadi anak kecil memang sulit!

Maka suatu hari Brian mengumumkan bahwa dia akan pensiun. Tadinya ayah dan ibunya mengira Brian hanya bosan, maka mereka membuat pesta perpisahan buatnya. Tapi ternyata Brian serius, dan dia pergi ke panti jompo,
Monica Edinger
Dec 15, 2008 Monica Edinger rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Very clever. Just read it to my class of 4th graders and they got a kick out of it too (although they didn't agree that being a kid was a job).
Amber Lovett
Dec 30, 2014 Amber Lovett rated it really liked it
Brian has enough of being a kid. Between soccer practice, violin class, babysitting his sister, and eating his vegetables, Brian decides it is time for a change. He retires to Happy Sunset Retirement Community in Florida. At first, Brian has a great time golfing, napping, and watching movies with his new older friends. He is not as thrilled with the long documentaries, weekly checkups, or prune juice smoothies. Brian realizes he does not fit in with retired life. Some advice from his new friend ...more
May 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: bean-books, picture
Admittedly, I thought adults might get more of a chuckle out of this than kids. So I was surprised that my six-year old got the moral of this story and made connections ("Rockumentaries are those boring shows Pappy watches"). So all in all, a nice book for a laugh and to pull out when junior starts to whine about how rough life is. And bonus points: getting to use my old man voice while reading a picture book.
Breanna Samuels
Sep 21, 2015 Breanna Samuels rated it it was amazing
The lesson to be learned from this book could be one of the more important life lessons, don't wish your childhood away and live in the moment. The Retired Kid is about a young boy who is tired of being a kid with school, practices, babysitting his little sister, walking the dog, and all the other daily activities that go along with simply being a kid. Therefore, he decides to retire and take control of his life but when he retires he finds that retirement can be kinda boring sometimes and decid ...more
Tricia
May 21, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, read-aloud
My boys were already familiar with and enjoy this book (the 3rd grader brought it home from school), but it was new to me. They all think it's funny. I think I'd like to be retired for a month, especially if I could substitute some other activity for the golf!
Zaifeena
Aug 26, 2012 Zaifeena rated it really liked it
A good book to read to your child when he complains what a bore it is to go to school and do chores. The language is simple but some of the humour might be beyond your child. Nevertheless, he'll get the message all right-that life as a kid is good, school and all.
Dolly
Jun 13, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a funny story about the drudgery and meaning of our daily work, whatever our age. It is a bit of a commentary on the activities of retired persons and the need to feel active and useful. Our girls thought the juxtaposition was silly.
Emily
Mar 31, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
What child hasn't said that it is hard work being a kid? Brian feels the same way and after his short eight years of life, he believes it is time to retire. He says his goodbyes and heads to Florida to a retirement center. At first, Brian loves his new life, but after a while he grows tired of being retired. Their is only so many pictures of Myrtle's grandchildren he can look at, and so many times he could listen to Tex tell about his hip replacement. Brian quickly decides that being a kid isn't ...more
Picture Books
Jan 24, 2010 Picture Books rated it it was ok
Recommended to Picture Books by: Blythe Summers, children's librarian
The Retired Kid is interesting, because Jon Agee has a very cartoony sketchy style, and a lot of the pages look like panels because they have gutters, but the texts and pictures and not very integrated, certainly not in the way they are in comics. The very last page has large text in a speech bubble. A puzzling hybrid.

From his official biography: "I took up painting, sculpture, lithography, photography and filmmaking, but the thing I loved most was sketching out cartoons and comic strips in my
Emily
Aug 28, 2008 Emily rated it it was ok
Ok, it was a picture book, so there is not a lot to review. I thought was was going to be funnier. It was just ok. It could have made fun of old people a lot more than it did. My parents are prime examples.

Like they have always driven cars until the cars were no longer fixable. One day my dad just went to buy a new minivan. He used his slick bargaining techniques to pay full price and get them to throw in a state inspection (retail value, approx $33). I never have figured out why two old people
Bridget Cabbiness
“The Retired Kid” by Jon Agee is a picture book for children in the primary age group ranging from ages five to eight. “The Retired Kid” tells the story of Brain, who decides he is finished with school after eight years and ready to retire. Brian packs up his things and moves to Florida to a retirement community, but comes to realize maybe he wasn't meant to retire just yet. The author took the silly things children sometimes say into its literal context which is pretty clever. The story was sho ...more
Danielle
Jun 22, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
The Retired Kid is a great book! However, I feel that I would choose it for an older audience. Maybe 3rd or 4th grade, where students can really understand what Brian goes through at his age. I love this book because it picks at the little issues of being a kid, like going to school or other lessons. Most kids would agree that school is a job that they want to retire from. But, would they really want to leave to a retirement home? This book allows for great discussions in class. You could have s ...more
Tasha
Aug 11, 2008 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Agee returns with a charming look at an overworked kid who decides to retire from his hectic school and personal life. 8-year-old Brian has had enough and flies off to Florida to life at the Happy Sunset Retirement Community. Brian finds swimming pools, golf, and card games in his retirement. It is certainly not hard work. But eventually, Brian realizes that he doesn't fit in with the other retirees. He starts to think back about the fun parts of being a kid and realizes that though retirement i ...more
Katie Nanney
This story was funny and reminded me that the grass is always greener on the other side, no matter how old you are. The illustrations were a little plain, but very colorful. I enjoyed the comparison between older and younger lives and how it emphasized that no matter how great it looks from the outside, things are not always what they seem until you look deeper. I would like to keep a copy for my younger readers in my classroom.
Megan Miller
Apr 18, 2015 Megan Miller rated it really liked it
In this story a little boy decides he is going to retire from being a kid because its too hard. He is tired of doing his homework and chores, so he moves to the retirement home. He likes it for a while, but then he decides he better stay a kid for a bit longer. Fun book to use for a brain break or to write an narrative about what you would do if you were retired.
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it really liked it
Cute picture book about a kid who is fed up and tired of being a kid. He sees only what is wrong with his life, so he flies to Florida to live in a Retirement Home. He at first loves it, then he changes his tune and discovers he really does enjoy being a kid and comes out of retirement. A lesson on being grateful.
Jen
Jan 12, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-picture-books
A great re-entry book with third graders following the winter break. I loved how the students thought through this story. For example, one student asked why Brian's sister didn't go to the retirement community with him. Many kids also mirrored back what they appreciate in their lives. Perhaps retirement can wait. ;)
Karen
Sep 20, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This isn't my favorite of Jon Agee's books -- that would be Terrific -- but this book is pretty cute and clever. All kids think that being an adult is better than being a kid. All adults know that is not true.
Cara Byrne
Aug 25, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it liked it
Clever, funny. This work develops a stereotypical view of both privileged childhood and retirement, but it's still engaging and the story unique. And Agee's illustrations get me every time.
Eileen
Jul 12, 2011 Eileen added it
Recommends it for: Senior Citizens
Why was this book in the juvenile section?
What kid understands a HIP REPLACEMENT? Or a retirement community?

The premise is that the kid is SO EXHAUSTED by being a kid (emo crybaby) that he decides to FLY IN A PLANE (Yeah, ok, sure) to Florida to live in a retirement community, where he is further exhausted by watching TV and listening to old people talk.
CRY ME A RIVER.

So, he decides to go back home to his life wherein he didn't actually learn that his life wasn't that hard, just that old people
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 11, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Every kid will relate to Brian's story; being a kid can be hard (but so can being an adult). Interesting muted illustrations and some laugh-out-loud moments.
Roger
Jul 09, 2016 Roger rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Seems like a good way to broaden a kid's perspective. I'm not a kid so I'm not sure. But I am sure it worked for this adult. :)
Amanda Lee
Aug 20, 2015 Amanda Lee rated it really liked it
Silly and fun book about a kid who needs a break. Haven't we all felt that way? Maybe I should retire for a couple of weeks!
Beth
Dec 28, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unowned, children
Hilarious. This book shows that retirement, while nice, has its drawbacks too, especially when you are a kid.
Michelle
Dec 02, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-314
I like that this book is about feeing content with yourself and not trying to grow up too fast.
Donna
Apr 03, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
Need to share this with my grandson (age 9). Growing up is SO hard!
GooseberryCompote
Jul 15, 2016 GooseberryCompote rated it it was amazing
I talk like Car Talk when I read aloud Harvey's lines.
Matthew
Apr 09, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
The story of a boy who's had it with school and soccer and basically the endless responsibility of being a kid decides to retire and move to Florida He moves into a retirement community and settles into the life of a retired person. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful that sounds. The only difference being that he eventually got tired of the retired life and decided to return to the hectic schedule of being a kid. I wouldn't do that. I' stay retired and never look back. Still, this was a goo ...more
Joenna
Oct 22, 2008 Joenna rated it it was amazing
Brian is a very busy kid with lots of daily activities. One day, he decides he's had enough of the hard work, and wants to retire. He moves to Florida, to a retirement community, and loves it! He gets to play golf, go fishing, and take naps. But then, he learns the hard truth of being old and retired like hearing about hip replacements, Friday night swing dancing, and prune juice smoothies! Brian decides he's done being retired and moves home with his parents, and lives a normal kid life.
  • Wolf! Wolf!
  • Mr. Pusskins and Little Whiskers: Another Love Story
  • The Hinky-Pink: An Old Tale
  • Palazzo Inverso
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • Max's Words