Start by marking “The Retired Kid” as Want to Read:
The Retired Kid

The Retired Kid

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  72 reviews

"It's been a wonderful eight years, but I need a break."

At the Happy Sunset Retirement Community, there's Ethel, Myrtle, Harvey, and Tex. And then there's Brian. The retired kid. He's here to escape school, homework, and daily chores.

But retired living has its challenges, especially when you're sixty years younger than everybody else!
Published June 24th 2008 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Retired Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Retired Kid

Ya ampuunn buku ini lucu banget sih! Idenya itu lho.. kreatip (pake P)

Ada seorang anak, namanya Brian. Tiap hari dia sekolah, belajar, latihan sepak bola, kursus biola, kursus vokal, ngajak anjingnya jalan-jalan, jagain adiknya, belum lagi harus makan sayur. Jadi anak kecil memang sulit!

Maka suatu hari Brian mengumumkan bahwa dia akan pensiun. Tadinya ayah dan ibunya mengira Brian hanya bosan, maka mereka membuat pesta perpisahan buatnya. Tapi ternyata Brian serius, dan dia pergi ke panti jompo,
Monica Edinger
Very clever. Just read it to my class of 4th graders and they got a kick out of it too (although they didn't agree that being a kid was a job).
Amber Lovett
Brian has enough of being a kid. Between soccer practice, violin class, babysitting his sister, and eating his vegetables, Brian decides it is time for a change. He retires to Happy Sunset Retirement Community in Florida. At first, Brian has a great time golfing, napping, and watching movies with his new older friends. He is not as thrilled with the long documentaries, weekly checkups, or prune juice smoothies. Brian realizes he does not fit in with retired life. Some advice from his new friend ...more
Admittedly, I thought adults might get more of a chuckle out of this than kids. So I was surprised that my six-year old got the moral of this story and made connections ("Rockumentaries are those boring shows Pappy watches"). So all in all, a nice book for a laugh and to pull out when junior starts to whine about how rough life is. And bonus points: getting to use my old man voice while reading a picture book.
Breanna Samuels
The lesson to be learned from this book could be one of the more important life lessons, don't wish your childhood away and live in the moment. The Retired Kid is about a young boy who is tired of being a kid with school, practices, babysitting his little sister, walking the dog, and all the other daily activities that go along with simply being a kid. Therefore, he decides to retire and take control of his life but when he retires he finds that retirement can be kinda boring sometimes and decid ...more
My boys were already familiar with and enjoy this book (the 3rd grader brought it home from school), but it was new to me. They all think it's funny. I think I'd like to be retired for a month, especially if I could substitute some other activity for the golf!
A good book to read to your child when he complains what a bore it is to go to school and do chores. The language is simple but some of the humour might be beyond your child. Nevertheless, he'll get the message all right-that life as a kid is good, school and all.
Jun 13, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a funny story about the drudgery and meaning of our daily work, whatever our age. It is a bit of a commentary on the activities of retired persons and the need to feel active and useful. Our girls thought the juxtaposition was silly.
What child hasn't said that it is hard work being a kid? Brian feels the same way and after his short eight years of life, he believes it is time to retire. He says his goodbyes and heads to Florida to a retirement center. At first, Brian loves his new life, but after a while he grows tired of being retired. Their is only so many pictures of Myrtle's grandchildren he can look at, and so many times he could listen to Tex tell about his hip replacement. Brian quickly decides that being a kid isn't ...more
Picture Books
Jan 24, 2010 Picture Books rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Picture Books by: Blythe Summers, children's librarian
The Retired Kid is interesting, because Jon Agee has a very cartoony sketchy style, and a lot of the pages look like panels because they have gutters, but the texts and pictures and not very integrated, certainly not in the way they are in comics. The very last page has large text in a speech bubble. A puzzling hybrid.

From his official biography: "I took up painting, sculpture, lithography, photography and filmmaking, but the thing I loved most was sketching out cartoons and comic strips in my
Ok, it was a picture book, so there is not a lot to review. I thought was was going to be funnier. It was just ok. It could have made fun of old people a lot more than it did. My parents are prime examples.

Like they have always driven cars until the cars were no longer fixable. One day my dad just went to buy a new minivan. He used his slick bargaining techniques to pay full price and get them to throw in a state inspection (retail value, approx $33). I never have figured out why two old people
Bridget Cabbiness
“The Retired Kid” by Jon Agee is a picture book for children in the primary age group ranging from ages five to eight. “The Retired Kid” tells the story of Brain, who decides he is finished with school after eight years and ready to retire. Brian packs up his things and moves to Florida to a retirement community, but comes to realize maybe he wasn't meant to retire just yet. The author took the silly things children sometimes say into its literal context which is pretty clever. The story was sho ...more
The Retired Kid is a great book! However, I feel that I would choose it for an older audience. Maybe 3rd or 4th grade, where students can really understand what Brian goes through at his age. I love this book because it picks at the little issues of being a kid, like going to school or other lessons. Most kids would agree that school is a job that they want to retire from. But, would they really want to leave to a retirement home? This book allows for great discussions in class. You could have s ...more
Agee returns with a charming look at an overworked kid who decides to retire from his hectic school and personal life. 8-year-old Brian has had enough and flies off to Florida to life at the Happy Sunset Retirement Community. Brian finds swimming pools, golf, and card games in his retirement. It is certainly not hard work. But eventually, Brian realizes that he doesn't fit in with the other retirees. He starts to think back about the fun parts of being a kid and realizes that though retirement i ...more
Katie Nanney
This story was funny and reminded me that the grass is always greener on the other side, no matter how old you are. The illustrations were a little plain, but very colorful. I enjoyed the comparison between older and younger lives and how it emphasized that no matter how great it looks from the outside, things are not always what they seem until you look deeper. I would like to keep a copy for my younger readers in my classroom.
Megan Miller
In this story a little boy decides he is going to retire from being a kid because its too hard. He is tired of doing his homework and chores, so he moves to the retirement home. He likes it for a while, but then he decides he better stay a kid for a bit longer. Fun book to use for a brain break or to write an narrative about what you would do if you were retired.
A great re-entry book with third graders following the winter break. I loved how the students thought through this story. For example, one student asked why Brian's sister didn't go to the retirement community with him. Many kids also mirrored back what they appreciate in their lives. Perhaps retirement can wait. ;)
This isn't my favorite of Jon Agee's books -- that would be Terrific -- but this book is pretty cute and clever. All kids think that being an adult is better than being a kid. All adults know that is not true.
Cara Byrne
Clever, funny. This work develops a stereotypical view of both privileged childhood and retirement, but it's still engaging and the story unique. And Agee's illustrations get me every time.
Jul 12, 2011 Eileen added it
Recommends it for: Senior Citizens
Why was this book in the juvenile section?
What kid understands a HIP REPLACEMENT? Or a retirement community?

The premise is that the kid is SO EXHAUSTED by being a kid (emo crybaby) that he decides to FLY IN A PLANE (Yeah, ok, sure) to Florida to live in a retirement community, where he is further exhausted by watching TV and listening to old people talk.

So, he decides to go back home to his life wherein he didn't actually learn that his life wasn't that hard, just that old people
Ms Threlkeld
Every kid will relate to Brian's story; being a kid can be hard (but so can being an adult). Interesting muted illustrations and some laugh-out-loud moments.
Amanda Lee
Silly and fun book about a kid who needs a break. Haven't we all felt that way? Maybe I should retire for a couple of weeks!
Hilarious. This book shows that retirement, while nice, has its drawbacks too, especially when you are a kid.
Need to share this with my grandson (age 9). Growing up is SO hard!
The story of a boy who's had it with school and soccer and basically the endless responsibility of being a kid decides to retire and move to Florida He moves into a retirement community and settles into the life of a retired person. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful that sounds. The only difference being that he eventually got tired of the retired life and decided to return to the hectic schedule of being a kid. I wouldn't do that. I' stay retired and never look back. Still, this was a goo ...more
Brian is a very busy kid with lots of daily activities. One day, he decides he's had enough of the hard work, and wants to retire. He moves to Florida, to a retirement community, and loves it! He gets to play golf, go fishing, and take naps. But then, he learns the hard truth of being old and retired like hearing about hip replacements, Friday night swing dancing, and prune juice smoothies! Brian decides he's done being retired and moves home with his parents, and lives a normal kid life.
Gwen the Librarian
Brian thinks that being a kid is really hard work, so he decides to retire. He moves to a retirement community in Florida and gets to swim and play cards. But that’s not all – there are doctor visits and prune juice too. Soon Brian realizes that being retired is pretty hard work, just like being a kid. What’s a kid to do?

This is a humorous little story and I'd like to think that kids will get the jokes, but it's hard to be sure if this is just grown-up humor.
Grass is greener
Light and clever book about a kid who decides his life is so difficult he joins a retirement community. Both kids and adults will chuckle at this one.

Veg*n parents note: There is a brief reference to fishing. The child in the book names eating vegetables as one of his woes in life as a kid, but then decides vegetables are Ok as long as they are smothered in cheddar cheese sauce.
Jen H.
I love almost everything from Jon Agee but this one especially. Very funny story about an 8 year old boy who decides to retire from school and move to retirement home in FL. Life is good and he has lots of friends until he has to look at a million photos of grandkids, hear about medical problems, and watch boring shows. Just a fun story.
  • Wolf! Wolf!
  • The Hinky-Pink: An Old Tale
  • Mr. Pusskins and Little Whiskers: Another Love Story
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • Tippy-Tippy-Tippy, Splash!
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • Millie Waits for the Mail