Start by marking “Black Snake: The daring of Ned Kelly” as Want to Read:
Black Snake: The daring of Ned Kelly

Black Snake: The daring of Ned Kelly

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  302 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"Everyone looks on me like a black snake"
--Letter to Sergeant Babington, July 1870

Ned Kelly was a thief, a bank robber and a murderer. He was in trouble with the law from the age of 12. He stole hundreds of horses and cattle. He robbed two banks. He killed three men.

Yet, when Ned was sentenced to death, thousands of people rallied to save his life. He stood up to the auth
Published 2002 by Black Dog Books

To ask other readers questions about Black Snake, please sign up.

Keelie i have an assesment due TOMMOROW and my teacher will kill me if i dont get it done

WHY!!!!!?????

Catherine
Dec 29, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read both for kids and for adults. Not having grown up in Australia I'm not sure if my knowledge about Ned Kelly was average or below average before reading this. I learned a lot but Wilkninson's injection of small details on the sides when writing the incidents, the different points of view, also had me enthralled with his story and I can see why his legend has persisted.
She lays this book out as a question to the reader -- what do you think, was he a crim or a legend. This qu
Tyrah
Aug 12, 2013 Tyrah rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK!!!!
Amber Campbell
Aug 24, 2012 Amber Campbell rated it really liked it
i think that ned is a villain hero and a victom because throght the hole story he is a villian hero and victom and i dont no the hole thing i forgot but i wish i could make a story like that is think its my best book ever read so far now its your turn to tell us what you think about this story i started this year july,15th 2012 and im finished it today saterday 25th August 2012
Haylie Karaitiana
EEEEEEK ! i didn't get too read it
Ariana Lockett
this book. is. telling. a. true. story. about. a. man. who. stole. stuff. to. provide. for. his. family this. is. a. great. book. to. read :-)
Vienna
Aug 05, 2012 Vienna rated it it was amazing
Its stink cause you cant even read it online... Does anyone know a website you can read this online please? :)
Anne
Mar 28, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
Fiction combined with non-fiction, suitable for adults and young adults. Enjoyable and interesting.
Lawson Mcguinness
Aug 01, 2012 Lawson Mcguinness rated it it was amazing
geewd
Sarah Johnston
Oct 03, 2015 Sarah Johnston rated it liked it
Aimed at middle school year age group, this is an interesting book on the life of the notorious Australian bushranger Ned Kelly. It's especially useful for showing how writers can take different perspectives in their work. The book shares various viewpoints of different people involved in the saga of the time. The reader will have to own conclusions on whether Ned Kelly, his family and friends were villains or victims.
Kirsty Cochrane
Oct 02, 2014 Kirsty Cochrane rated it liked it
A nice combination of fiction and non - fiction suitable for adults or older children. Lots of interesting facts and anecdotes about how and why Ned Kelly became the man he was.
Emily
May 20, 2015 Emily marked it as to-read
it was a great action and drama packed adventure you never get bored when the Kelly's are around just reading it makes you feel like you were just there.
Amber
Aug 17, 2015 Amber added it
I think it's very interesting and I would like there to be like numbered books
Mahesh
Jul 30, 2014 Mahesh rated it did not like it
the guy name is ked kelly and his father in jail and he can't read in school
Kayla Whitley-philip
Aug 23, 2014 Kayla Whitley-philip rated it it was ok
It is good a good story on ned Kelly and his life
Io
Jul 14, 2014 Io rated it liked it
One of the best biographical books I've read of Ned Kelly.
Derek
Jul 11, 2016 Derek added it
I think its agreat learning book of ned kelly
Sven McNiven
Jan 13, 2015 Sven McNiven rated it really liked it
I read this book with my class for a literary study. I found it interesting, as did my students. It's especially useful for showing how writers can take different perspectives in their work. Black Snake: The daring of Ned Kelly shares various viewpoints of the people involved in the saga of the Kelly gang. It leaves the reader to ultimately decide if Ned Kelly, his family and friends were villains or victims.
Wijefn2pqe Jefn1fje
Jul 10, 2016 Wijefn2pqe Jefn1fje rated it it was amazing
eh. thyhw3.tm wthbsnh w5yjnw
Aidan Blackburn
Aug 16, 2015 Aidan Blackburn rated it it was amazing
it is really good and i like it
Ryan Finlau
Aug 10, 2014 Ryan Finlau rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great book
Jayden Kennedy
Jun 22, 2016 Jayden Kennedy rated it it was amazing
I think its good
Jazmine
Oct 06, 2015 Jazmine rated it it was amazing
good
Zech
Sep 03, 2015 Zech added it
Aug 06, 2015 Esra Yilmaz rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Krystal
Sep 09, 2013 Krystal rated it it was amazing
This book is great it tells you a lot about ned Kelly life and I would read it over and over again
Jasmine
Sep 19, 2013 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Hi this is a great book so people read it ned Kelly is a victim and a villain
Bob Marly
Sep 16, 2013 Bob Marly rated it it was amazing
How do I read this book
I want to read it
  • Sophie Scott Goes South
  • Razor: Tilly Devine, Kate Leigh and the Razor Gangs
  • Drylands
  • Fledgling (Tri-Realms Saga, #2)
  • Withering-By-Sea
  • Journey to the Stone Country
  • The Legend Begins (Little Fur, #1)
  • By The Sword (Guardians of the Crown, #1)
  • The Deep
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 1
  • The People Smuggler: The True Story Of Ali Al Jenabi, The 'Oskar Schindler Of Asia'
  • Damned Whores And God's Police: The Colonization Of Women In Australia
  • Saltwater Vampires
  • The Bunyip of Berkeley's Creek
  • Wise Women of the Dreamtime: Aboriginal Tales of the Ancestral Powers
  • Poppy
  • The Very Hungry Bear
  • The Lieutenant
Carole was born in England in 1950. Her family moved to Australia when she was 12. She now lives in Melbourne, with her husband John.
Carole didn't start writing until she was nearly 40. Before that, she worked as a laboratory assistant, working with a lot of blood and brains. Once she’d decided to try and become a writer, she went to university. She wrote a lot while she was there including her f
More about Carole Wilkinson...