The Long Run

The Long Run (The Continuing Time #2)

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  400 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Few of the telepaths survived the massacre by the United Nations Peaceforce. Seven years later, the last telepaths, Denice and Trent, are marked by the Peaceforce, and will die unless Trent can carry out his plan to avenge the deaths of his friends.
Published August 1st 1989 by Bantam Spectra (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Run

Ric

Even on well panned riverbeds, one can still find gold. And this is just what I found, via the Goodreads discussion groups, a golden book from the 80s. The Long Run is the 2nd book of the Continuing Time series by Daniel Keys Moran. It's primarily the story of Trent Castanaveras, 2nd generation genetically engineered human, who unlike Carl of the 1st book (Emerald Eyes, an amazing book in its own right) is not a telepath but instead is physically enhanced. Trent is a thief and a (cyber-)Player w

Nicholas
So, point of honesty: this was my favorite book when I was 14. And it was 1990. And the internet was still shuffling towards "a good idea."

It's not the best prose in the world. It's not the tightest story ever written. It's not the best cyber-punk heist novel of all time.

But it's damn good, and it tries hard, and it still kicks ass more than twenty years later.

I've had three paperback copies. I know Moran had some really high quality hard-back versions printed, but I wasn't in time to pick one o...more
Lurple
Daniel Keys Moran deserves more attention from sci-fi fans. My copies of his books are dog-eared and beat up, and this one is missing the cover, but I treasure them still. Moran has created an interesting sci-fi universe peopled with interesting characters. I encourage readers to check out his A Tale of the Continuing Time novels as well as his standalone work.
Patrick
Big Peter Abe with a surprising recommendation - forgotten Sci Fi from the late 80s, that reads with a contemporary feel - Brought me back to Red Mars with hints of the Bourne Identity.
Joseph
My absolute favorite book ever. I have read this at least a dozen times since I bought it in high school. That reminds me . . . it's been a while.
Chris
3.5 stars. I picked this up because of a secondhand recommendation and didn't learn anything about it before starting. Two paragraphs in, I knew it was one of those books from the 80s where the UN invades and nukes the US (it was always the USSR or UN) and some people have psychic powers. The main character is handsome, witty, athletic, total nerd wish-fulfillment. And while he has one true love, he won't hesitate to bang his way out of a situation. I wasn't wrong about any of those, but the boo...more
Scribal
I'm pleased to discover Moran however belatedly. I just read Emerald Eyes, The Long Run and the Last Dancer in that order. The Long Run is the tightest and most satisfying of the three. Comments have been made about it as a heist story and and a long chase--yes that's the form of the book but that's not why it's good. There are lots of tightly written genre novels with similar forms and often I don't like them enough to finish or forget them after I do.

The Long Run is good because Moran can wri...more
Roger
My rating is based upon having read this book for the first time (on or about) the year 1989. I remember eagerly turning pages as Trent escaped one hair-raising action sequence before entering another. This book was for me like crack is to a crack addict. I am tempted, oh so tempted, to read it again.

UPDATE:
Having just completed a re-read, I find that my previously high regard for this book has diminished over the last 20 odd years. I no longer consider this book to be one of my "all time favori...more
Jamie Friesen
The 2nd book in Moran's Continuing Times series (of which four have now been written), this one chronicles the adventures of Trent Castanaveras.

Genengineered by a geneticist, Trent should have been a telepath like the rest of his extended family. However, lacking the three genes of telepaths, he instead goes on to become one of the planet's best Players (hacker) in the InfoNet (21st century Internet) and premiere thieves years after his telepathic cousins are slaughtered by a world government te...more
Jeffrey
Apr 07, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: So good that everyone should read it.
Shelves: science-fiction
Stunning. A virtuoso performance. Mindblowing action. Great characters.

If you haven't found a good book to read, pick this one up.

A little background first. Trent, the main character, is a webplayer and a thief. He is also a genetic mutant. The United Nations is controlled by the Peacekeepers who are headquartered in France. The Leadership of the Peacekeepers, the Peacekeeper Elite are cyborgs.

In a previous novel the Peacekeepers dropped a nuclear bomb on New York City to destroy an enclave of t...more
Dave Bell
Big fan of Daniel Keys Moran. Story goes that he wrote 33 volumes of a sci-if epic when he was in high school. Not sure how true it is but I dig his style - future world (2060's) after a UN war to unify all countries, goes back and forth between "cyber-punk" themes of hackers and AI's running amok, cyborgs built in zero-gravity orbiting space stations, a solar system wide human culture, genetically engineered telepath protagonists (which were spawned by time-travelling humans from the future inv...more
Matt
Picked this off the "to be read" pile as it was the highest rated of my unread books on Goodreads (over 4.7 average rating!). I've read both The Last Dancer and Emerald Eyes so had some curiosity about the legendary Trent.

On the whole it’s a reasonable action adventure come "heist" tale.

The prose style, choice of view point and pseudo-historic epigrams conspire to sap a fair bit of the tension about how the job is going to go that a "heist" yarn could have. (The fact that I’ve read the books out...more
Ryan McCormack
A roller coaster, fun read compared to the first book in this series. Trent is a great character; you almost can't help rooting for him. Keys-Moran took a more straightforward approach with this book as well, which I appreciated. Fewer interludes from future oddities. Anyway, well worth the read, and I'd almost say you could skip the first and still enjoy this one.
Michael Bourgon
"The Crystal Wind is the Storm, and the Storm is Data, and the Data is Life."
The whole book is basically one giant chase scene, from downtown New York City to orbit, to the Moon. All the while our hero, Trent The Thief (mind the capitals) is busy running from the Peace Keeping Force, and determined to steal things. Great scenes and quotes abound.
Robert
If you can find a copy of this book -often in a used bookshop - by all means pick it up and read it right away. I've read it at least four times and it continues to hold my interest if I pick it up again. There's a point to the story, but mostly its narrative, narrative, narrative.
Dcchivers
Was reluctant to read this book because I struggled thru Green Eyes, but I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the story, and enjoyed the references back to Green Eyes, refreshing my memory. The writing style is choppy for me, but I had a much easier time following along with this book.
sinecure
Mar 04, 2008 sinecure rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to sinecure by: Jason Coleman
One of my favorite books. Underdog style hero mixed with (at the time of writing) plausible future happenings. The author is particularly good at making assumed background knowledge seem real. Still a good read ~20 years later. Of course, some of that may be nostalgia.
Phillip
Simply one of the best, and easily the funniest, science fiction series I have ever read. My bookshelves cry out for more from Moran.
Cheri Turner
I just re-read this one and I still love it... I have a few extra copies so I can spread the enjoyment of this book...
Kathleen Franklin
The original 1970s version is better. He "fixed" it in the late 90s, but the 'improvements' were not.
Andrew
My favorite book ever. A joy to read over and over. I absolutely love this book and its author.
Andre
This is one of my all time favorite sci-fi's, it has a thief, flying cars, and great characters.
Don
Great book; I've loved it since I first read it when I was a teenager.
Robotguy
My favorite book of all time. If you liked Snow Crash, check this one out.
bluetyson
The Long Run: A Tale of the Continuing Time by Daniel Keys Moran (2002)
Mel Nevergold
If you touch my copy of this book I might break your fingers.
Warren Rochelle
I wish he had written more tales of the Continuing Time!
James
You will believe a man can walk through walls.
Althia
This guy can weave a tale! Trent was cool....
  • Angel Station
  • Falcon
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Stainless Steel Visions
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion, #2)
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • The Fortunate Fall
  • The Galactic Whirlpool (Star Trek Adventures, #14)
  • A Gift from Earth (Known Space)
  • Catspaw (Cat, #2)
  • Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1)
  • Lords of the Middle Dark (Rings of the Master, #1)
  • Spinneret
  • The Age of the Pussyfoot
  • First Family (Amtrak Wars, #2)
  • The Musashi Flex (Matador, #9)
  • Riverworld and other stories
Emerald Eyes  (The Continuing Time, #1) The Last Dancer  (The Continuing Time, #3) The Armageddon Blues The A.I. War: The Big Boost  (The Continuing Time, #4) The Ring

“The Crystal Wind is the Storm, and the Storm is Data, and the Data is Life.” 6 likes
“The air currents should take you to the wall in, I don’t know, ten minutes or so, but if you’re really in a hurry, take off your clothes and throw them away from you; for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” 1 likes