Start by marking “Introduction To Logic” as Want to Read:
Introduction To Logic

Introduction To Logic

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Introduction to Logic offers one of the most clear, interesting and accessible introductions to what has long been considered one of the most challenging subjects in philosophy. Harry Gensler engages students with the basics of logic through practical examples and important arguments both in the history of philosophy and from contemporary philosophy. Using simple and manag ...more
Published December 28th 2001 by Routledge (first published December 13th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction To Logic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction To Logic

Michael A
Since this is a textbook, let's just do simple pros and cons.

It's a fine introduction to symbolic logic and many different types of formal logical systems. Chapter 2 covers basic syllogistic logic, then it gets into more classical logic in chapters 6 through 9. Once you've learned about propositional and quantificational logic, it moves on to modal logic (10/11) , deontic/imperative logic (12), and belief logic (13). The way these build on each other and the way you learn in tiny bits is a
Extremely helpful. I am no logician and though my field of study is very much conversant in and with philosophy both past and present, I found myself in need of a quick refresher of everything I had learned (and promptly forgotten) about Logic proper from my undergraduate studies.

Enter Gensler, who here does a fine job of succinctly and thoroughly providing no more and no less of what is needed. A concise logical argument should be able to be made, recognized, and supported after a reading of t
Harry J. Gensler's Introduction to Logic is an overall introduction to basic logic(s). Overall a strong one with a noticable weak point. One of it's most firstly distinctive features is the downloadable software LogiCola, which turns out to be a very useful tool for revising, but be wary, writing down your exercises is important in properly digesting the material. Also, the examples and exercises from the book are much more interesting and philosophically inclined.
The explanations of proofs and
Muhammad al-Khwarizmi
Great text on logic. I would only recommend learning inference rules not documented herein from Copi or another text like that. Also, I never used the starring method he uses to augment proof writing. For those naive to formal logic, it's not strictly necessary.
Carlos Hidalgo
Harry J. Gensler's "Introduction to Logic" is by far one of the best books about elementary logic that i have encountered. All the basic rules such as the rules of inference, introduction rules, elimination rules, etc, are explained with out most simplicity and clarity. Another great fact about this book is that it devotes chapters on the history of logic and the philosophy of logic unlike other logic books wherien these information are cluttered and spread throughout different chapters. Finally ...more
Megan Lengel
Though this was a good book, I find that it is difficult to understand if one does not have access to the program that goes hand-in-hand with this book. It does not do well as a stand-alone, but is extremely helpful when it comes to understanding the Logic program. I found that when I was working with the program, I understood what the book was trying to tell me. This understanding did not happen without the program.
مدخل جيد جدا لدراسة المنطق بالانجليزيه (للأسف لم اجد حتى الآن مثيل له بالعربية)
لغة الكاتب سهله وبسيطه و صياغاته ابعد ما تكون عن التعقيد
التمارين في نهاية كل فصل ذات فائده كبيره لفهم موضوعات الكتاب
بالاضافه لبرنامج التمارين "لوجيكولا" الممتع والذي افادني كثيرا لمراجعه فصول الكتاب مراجعه سريعه كلما اردت.

البرنامج متاح مجانا على موقع المؤلف
رابط التحميل بالاسفل
i only covered three chapters in this book, but the class was a nightmare! i cant understand it and its just been a terrible experience. i wouldn't wish this class, or book, on my worst enemy. So glad that the class is basically over.
Lucas Gili
This was a good and enjoyable book for me as an introduction to logic as it wasn't too heavy-going. Overall I recommend it as one of the first books to read on the subject as it's more accessible.
Jessica Walters
The most comprehensive guide to logic I have ever read. It explains the reasoning behind the theory as opposed to just showing you how to solve the problems.
Si is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2015
James DeWan
James DeWan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Christopher marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Preety marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
adrenalexpire marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Theodorus Cavin
Theodorus Cavin marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Ayman added it
Oct 29, 2015
Atte added it
Oct 19, 2015
Andy marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Risto Saarelma
Risto Saarelma marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Marta Palacio
Marta Palacio marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Chris Vogt
Chris Vogt is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2015
Sandra marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Murali Suriar
Murali Suriar marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
  • Kant and the Problem of Metaphysics
  • The Essential John Nash
  • An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis
  • The Nature of Necessity
  • The Complexity of Cooperation: Agent-Based Models of Competition and Collaboration
  • The Riddle of Scheherazade: And Other Amazing Puzzles
  • Elements of Information Theory
  • The Art and Thought of Heraclitus: A New Arrangement and Translation of the Fragments with Literary and Philosophical Commentary
  • A Portrait of Love
  • The Philosophers Toolkit: A Compendium of Philosophical Concepts and Methods
  • Concluding Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments (Writings 12.1)