Start by marking “Introduction To Logic” as Want to Read:
Introduction To Logic

Introduction To Logic

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Introduction to Logic offers one of the most clear, interesting and accessible introductions to what has long been considered one of the most challenging subjects in philosophy. Harry Gensler engages students with the basics of logic through practical examples and important arguments both in the history of philosophy and from contemporary philosophy. Using simple and manag ...more
Published December 28th 2001 by Routledge (first published December 13th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction To Logic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction To Logic

Extremely helpful. I am no logician and though my field of study is very much conversant in and with philosophy both past and present, I found myself in need of a quick refresher of everything I had learned (and promptly forgotten) about Logic proper from my undergraduate studies.

Enter Gensler, who here does a fine job of succinctly and thoroughly providing no more and no less of what is needed. A concise logical argument should be able to be made, recognized, and supported after a reading of t
Defaceo
Harry J. Gensler's Introduction to Logic is an overall introduction to basic logic(s). Overall a strong one with a noticable weak point. One of it's most firstly distinctive features is the downloadable software LogiCola, which turns out to be a very useful tool for revising, but be wary, writing down your exercises is important in properly digesting the material. Also, the examples and exercises from the book are much more interesting and philosophically inclined.
The explanations of proofs and
Michael A
Since this is a textbook, let's just do simple pros and cons.

PROS:

It's a fine introduction to symbolic logic and many different types of formal logical systems. Chapter 2 covers basic syllogistic logic, then it gets into more classical logic in chapters 6 through 9. Once you've learned about propositional and quantificational logic, it moves on to modal logic (10/11) , deontic/imperative logic (12), and belief logic (13). The way these build on each other and the way you learn in tiny bits is a
Muhammad al-Khwarizmi
Great text on logic. I would only recommend learning inference rules not documented herein from Copi or another text like that. Also, I never used the starring method he uses to augment proof writing. For those naive to formal logic, it's not strictly necessary.
Carlos Hidalgo
Harry J. Gensler's "Introduction to Logic" is by far one of the best books about elementary logic that i have encountered. All the basic rules such as the rules of inference, introduction rules, elimination rules, etc, are explained with out most simplicity and clarity. Another great fact about this book is that it devotes chapters on the history of logic and the philosophy of logic unlike other logic books wherien these information are cluttered and spread throughout different chapters. Finally ...more
Megan Lengel
Though this was a good book, I find that it is difficult to understand if one does not have access to the program that goes hand-in-hand with this book. It does not do well as a stand-alone, but is extremely helpful when it comes to understanding the Logic program. I found that when I was working with the program, I understood what the book was trying to tell me. This understanding did not happen without the program.
Mohamed
مدخل جيد جدا لدراسة المنطق بالانجليزيه (للأسف لم اجد حتى الآن مثيل له بالعربية)
لغة الكاتب سهله وبسيطه و صياغاته ابعد ما تكون عن التعقيد
التمارين في نهاية كل فصل ذات فائده كبيره لفهم موضوعات الكتاب
بالاضافه لبرنامج التمارين "لوجيكولا" الممتع والذي افادني كثيرا لمراجعه فصول الكتاب مراجعه سريعه كلما اردت.

البرنامج متاح مجانا على موقع المؤلف
رابط التحميل بالاسفل

Danielle
i only covered three chapters in this book, but the class was a nightmare! i cant understand it and its just been a terrible experience. i wouldn't wish this class, or book, on my worst enemy. So glad that the class is basically over.
Lucas Gili
This was a good and enjoyable book for me as an introduction to logic as it wasn't too heavy-going. Overall I recommend it as one of the first books to read on the subject as it's more accessible.
Bernard
Bernard marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Lucy Anne
Lucy Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Leonard
Leonard marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Larkin
Larkin added it
Jul 30, 2015
Joseph Lee
Joseph Lee is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2015
Sasha
Sasha is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2015
Pangwukong
Pangwukong marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Dale
Dale marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Mengbing
Mengbing marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Lorrie
Lorrie marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Omar Garcia
Omar Garcia marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Redundantthermos
Redundantthermos marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Kpb1103
Kpb1103 marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Luke Brennan
Luke Brennan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
  • Logic: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Riddle of Scheherazade: And Other Amazing Puzzles
  • Kant and the Problem of Metaphysics
  • The Philosophy Files
  • The Complexity of Cooperation: Agent-Based Models of Competition and Collaboration
  • Foodopoly: The Battle Over the Future of Food and Farming in America
  • Elements of Information Theory
  • أرسطو المعلم الأول
  • A Course of Pure Mathematics
Ethics: A Contemporary Introduction Ethics and the Golden Rule Formal Ethics Ethics: Contemporary Readings Godel's Theorem Simplified