Start by marking “The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born (Stephen King's The Dark Tower - Graphic Novel series #1)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  59,220 Ratings  ·  802 Reviews
'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.' With those words, millions of readers were introduced to Stephen King's Roland ' an implacable gunslinger in search of the enigmatic Dark Tower, powering his way through a dangerous land filled with ancient technology and deadly magic. Now, in a comic book personally overseen by King himself, Roland's ...more
Published November 21st 2007 by Marvel Comics (first published November 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tower, please sign up.

Scott The graphic novels are an adaptation in sequential art form, or as we used to call them, comic books. Personally, I got bored with this one. I don't…moreThe graphic novels are an adaptation in sequential art form, or as we used to call them, comic books. Personally, I got bored with this one. I don't think you can exchange books you read years ago.(less)
Richard Man the first book is trash but I was told to keep going and Man look the Dark Towers and the Game of Thrones series is the best thing ever written.…moreMan the first book is trash but I was told to keep going and Man look the Dark Towers and the Game of Thrones series is the best thing ever written. By the second book of DT it picks up but the 3-7 books are explosive like nothing I ever read.(less)

Anna
Mar 19, 2017 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To prequel της ιστορίας του Μαύρου Πύργου, όπου μας διηγείται τα νεανικά χρόνια του Ρόλαντ και πώς ξεκίνησαν όλα. Εν όψει μάλιστα και της τηλεοπτικής σειράς που αναμένουμε το καλοκαίρι (με Idris Elba και Matthew McConaughey) καλό είναι να το φρεσκάρουμε λίγο!

Οι φαν του Μαύρου Πύργου θα το λατρέψουν (εγώ ομολογώ ότι δεν τρελαίνομαι), αλλά το σκίτσο είναι εντυπωσιακό, η ιστορία περιγράφεται στο ίδιο ακριβώς στυλ με τα βιβλία, ενώ στα μπόνους έχουμε περιλήψεις, σημειώσεις από τους συντελεστές και π
Char
I absolutely adored this graphic novel. The artwork was STUNNING!

It seems that the graphic novels tell the story quite differently than the books do. Having just listened to most of The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass, the story of Susan Delgado and Rhea of Coos is still fresh in my mind. Their stories are told here, in Volume 1 of the GN series.I can't wait to read the next one!

You can get your beautifully illustrated copy here:

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

All Hail the Crimson King

Sud666
Mar 31, 2017 Sud666 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, horror
Magnificent! This is truly a work of art. Gorgeous paintings accompany a wonderfully written story. The Gunsligner Born is the story of Roland. This acts as a prequel to the Dark Tower novels, since Roland is only 14. We see his training with Cort and the other Gunslinger's of his Ka-Tet- Cuthbert and Alain. The story then follows Roland and his Ka-Tet as they undertake a mission against Farson's troops. Roland also meets and falls in love with Susan, which has tragic consequences for both.

I can
StoryTellerShannon
I never got into the novel series but after reading this particular graphic novel I just might give it another try. This volume focuses on the Gunslinger before he became a legend in this post apocalyptic Spaghetti Western Fantasy tale. It covers the legends of his home realm life, how he earned his guns at an early age and his first mission which led to him meeting his first love.

The tone is dark, gritty and at times brutal and women don't have many options unless they hold a great deal of pow
Steve
Jun 02, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Well, I was warned that there were changes to the story...

I read this as individual issues. Several reviews stated that Marvel, in their infinite wisdom, left a significant portion of the seven issues out of the compilation, dropping Robin Furth's history of Gilead and Arthur Eld completely. Without these, the story as presented makes even less sense. I'll explain that statement shortly.

This is part of the story from Wizard and Glass in which (view spoiler)
TK421
Mar 12, 2011 TK421 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I have been told that if you HAVE NOT READ book four of the Dark Tower Series, WIZARD AND GLASS, The Dark Tower graphic novels provide some spoilers.

WARNING: THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not read WIZARD AND GLASS, so I don’t know if I am writing any spoilers in this review. (Let me know if I am!!)

THE GUNSLINGER BORN is a graphic novel that packs just as much punch as King’s first book in the Dark Tower Series THE GUNSLINGER. But instead of an older Roland, we are introdu
David Sven
Apr 03, 2013 David Sven rated it really liked it
Great graphic novel that goes into the Roland origins story as related in The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass.

The art was great. Fans of Dark Tower will love it. I'm not sure how it does as an entry into the main series of books though. The books also give more detail than is in the comic, but what this has that the books don't is extra information interspersed about the histories of Gilead and Arthur Eld and the mythology of "In World." This is actually NEW information that the books only hint
Stephen
Jul 14, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing
5.0 stars. WOW, WHAT AN AMAZING ADAPTATION!!! First off, I must say that this book is not recommended for those who have not read the Dark Tower series (especially Wizard and Glass on which this graphic novel is based). However, for those that have read and enjoyed Wizard and Glass, this graphic novel is a real treat. The artwork is superb, the tone is spot on, and the writers do an amazing job of translating a 500 page story into 150 page graphic novel without losing the scope of the book in th ...more
Richard Vialet
Mar 15, 2017 Richard Vialet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Tower fans and those who are interested in jumping in
*3.5 Stars*
Here we go. Years ago, I had a great time going on the epic adventure of Roland and his ka-tet as they travel in search of the Dark Tower in order to save the world(s) in Stephen King's massive genre-bending epic. With the Dark Tower movie being released this year, I thought I'd delve into the huge multi-series comic book adaptation of the story, and it starts here.

In this first 5-volume series, with guidance from King, Peter David and Robin Furth decided to begin the story by compili
Jean
Dec 04, 2008 Jean rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the Dark Tower series, so I looked forward to getting back to some places and characters I missed through the graphic novels. I might read the next one, to give them a second chance, but I'm not chomping at the bit, that's for sure.

The writing in The Gunslinger Born is dull--an overdone mimic of the language King uses in the original series. Still, although King's writing is enjoyable, he's no great word-master (great story-teller, yes). So I wasn't expecting miracles in the writing d
Kandice
Aug 16, 2009 Kandice rated it really liked it
7/2015 - I bumped it up a star because I very recently re-read The Gunslinger and this satisfied a craving. I so in love with Lee's illustrations! I'm still not a fan of the familiarity of the narrator with the reader, but the story is solid.

I love the way the GN explains things like Ka and Ka-tet as soon as the words are used. King lets the reader figure their meanings out, but with the GN there is a very finite number of words and a lot of information to pass along, so explaining is a good cho
Steve
Nov 11, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
I came to the Gunslinger Born, somewhat nervously. I've not read the entire series - or more accurately, I've been stuck on The Wastelands, unable to get further into the Dark Tower. But lately I've gotten into reading graphic novels, and I know King has been interested in them as a medium (Just look at the main character in Cell). That said, some of the reviews here seem quite upset over missing material. I don't know how to respond to that (maybe it was a "flow" problem), since I didn't read t ...more
seak
Sep 26, 2016 seak rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
juan carlos
Feb 06, 2017 juan carlos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En estos momentos donde mi vida sólo es depresión y dolor, me dije: " vamos a releer mi guía de la torre oscura y esperar mi muerte".

Así que en los próximos meses van a ir encontrando en estas reseñas puntos importantes que no deben olvidar para entender mejor esta saga de fantasía oscura creado por Stephen King.

¿En qué me tengo que enfocar al leer el nacimiento del pistolero?

1. El origen de Roland y como este consiguió sus armas.
2. Pongan principal atención a dos conceptos principales. EL SI
Chris
Sep 19, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
My first, of what I expect to be many reads of the Dark Tower series started almost two years ago. Since I have finished it I have wanted to find more ways of enjoying the saga while my to-read shelf continues to grow. This will make me wait a little longer to re-read the Dark Tower series; but then I found my library has every one of these graphic novels and I got excited. Finally a new experience of the Dark Tower that is fresh and new to me.

This graphic novel is basically the fourth book in
Katherine Furman
Aug 18, 2007 Katherine Furman rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of The Dark Tower, and I was a mixture of excited and apprehensive when I heard about its comic book adaptation. I thought that they were going to be prequels or something like that, but they turned out to be Wizard and Glass retold (which happens to be my favorite of the series.)

After this first issue, my fears were allayed I was sold. They are phenomenal. The illustrations are addictive and entrancing. They're all shadow and dark, and the use of black negative space is incredibl
Marc-Antoine
Oct 01, 2015 Marc-Antoine rated it really liked it
Funny thing, I actually enjoyed this more than Wizard and Glass.
Lasairfiona Smith
Aug 21, 2007 Lasairfiona Smith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comic books fans who love _amazing_ artwork
Just to clear things up, this is NOT the first book in the dark tower series. This is a comic of Roland's early years. The story is told in book four of The Dark Tower series, Wizard and Glass. The comic follows Roland from training and his gaining his majority and guns through his first lesson in love and loss. To those that have read the series, this story is just a compact retelling of most of Wizard and Glass. I collected the individual issues as they came out.

There are maybe six pages of ne
Maria
Jan 21, 2017 Maria rated it it was amazing
And I'm back in Mid World. Back with Roland and his ka-tet. Back for the Dark Tower. Oh happy days. After reading this first volume, I know that I'll love this series. Seeing the characters brought to life with such vivid, amazing art is fantastic. The writing, while not done by Stephen King, has his feel. It fits in the world he created.

My advice: don't read the comics if you haven't read the books by SK first. There are some major spoilers in this first volume alone, which aren't revealed in
Andrew
Jan 20, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Ok this is a second time around for this book but there is a reason...I have finally been able to get all the various instalments to both series of the Dark Tower.

The series was intended to tell the early story of Roland Deschain linking up with the novels. Much of the material is new but does have various vague references from the novels so there is a continuity even if not directly stated (after all the books are from different publishers).

So the book - the artwork is clean and vivid in a st
Angelar
Aug 23, 2007 Angelar rated it liked it
If you haven't yet read the Dark Tower series (or finished the series) and plan to, don't read this book! The writers and artists have crammed an impressive number of spoilers into this brief volume, and have also bulldozed levels of nuance which make the Dark Tower series such a good read.

Some elements of the artwork are inspired and atmospheric, which I appreciate, but the artists still work for Marvel, so the male characters look like they're on steroids and have had chin implants and the one
Ryan
Apr 08, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it
This was better than I expected even after being pleasantly surprised by others reviews.

Yes it does retrace stories from The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass, which are a little fresh in the mind for me. However I love those stories so much I didn't resent repeating them!

The best bits of these volume for me were the extra bits exploring the history of Mid-world Mearlyn and Arthur Eld.

The history of ritual sacrifice making The death of Susan Delgado even more compelling as well as heart breaking!!
Mitchel Broussard
What works in written form fails miserably here. There's no mystery, no subtly to the writing and storytelling, it's all heavy-handed metaphors and awkwardly handled dialogue that spends more time talking directly to the reader than it does having actual characters say anything meaningful. The lack of King's writing is a constant and sad presence. I'm the biggest Dark Tower fan you can find, so maybe that's why I was so hard on this, but I have the $100 leather-bound omnibus of the first five Vo ...more
Bryce Wilson
Feb 14, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Simultaneous fulfilling and disappointing. One of those maddeningly annoying things that gets the notes but not the music. The fact is King's Dark Tower patois sounds completely stupid coming from anyone other then King. The first chapters reads like bad fan fiction, and though it eventually lays off the Thankee Sais, the title still retains approximately 1/1000th the emotional power of The Wizard and Glass. I can't imagine giving a shit unless you have already read the novel's.

That said the ar
Effie
Oct 16, 2016 Effie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Εξαιρετικό!
Πολύ πιστή μεταφορά του βιβλίου, το οποίο θεωρούσα σχεδόν αδύνατο να συμβεί. Η εικονογράφηση και τα χρώματα είναι απόλυτα ταιριαστά με την εικόνα που είχα για τους χαρακτήρες, τα τοπία και τη γενική ατμόσφαιρα στο μυαλό μου. Εντάξει, εκτός απ τον Γουόλτερ τον οποίο σκεφτόμουν πάντα ως ένα πολύ γοητευτικό άντρα, (view spoiler)

4,7 αστέρια, μόνο και μόνο επειδή δεν είμαι σίγουρη κατ
C.W.
Jan 05, 2015 C.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was mostly a kinda quickly paced wrap-up of the fourth book in the series, Wizard and Glass, which takes place almost entirely in Roland's past. None of the story for this one was new to me, but it was interesting to see it all play out visually - the art is just amazing. Really suits the story well. I was initially unsure of how to rate this, but I've actually read the next one already and that really helped me to decide what to rate both that one and this one.
Nico
Aug 15, 2015 Nico rated it really liked it
Interesting approach to the Dark Tower series, telling the story chronologically. The artwork is great and I loved the little side stories with the history of mid-world, other characters and more back story you didn't hear about in the book. Spares me also the time to reread this great fantasy epic, which I think needs multiple readings to understand completely.
Sarah Anne
I thought this was about Roland pre-DT years but it's actually just putting the DT books in chronological order, which means this one is like a graphic read of Wizard and Glass. And it's messing with my images of the characters. Not worth it!
Allie
Dec 19, 2016 Allie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
My first Steven King.

I've already put all the other volumes on hold. Looking forward to them.
Alondra
Oct 01, 2011 Alondra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
5 Stars

The Dark Tower

Backstory on Roland Deschain

Graphic Novel

...I don't need to say anything else.
  • The Stand: The Night Has Come
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)
  • The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 13: Too Far Gone
  • Wolverine: Old Man Logan
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
  • Stephen King's N.
  • American Vampire, Vol. 3
  • Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 1: Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum
More about Peter David...

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - Graphic Novel series (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home