Start by marking “Tea” as Want to Read:
Tea

Tea (A Divine Comedy #1)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Visually arresting, Tea is an experimental poem-cycle with traditional formal techniques built into its wild surface.
Published February 1st 1998 by Wesleyan

To ask other readers questions about Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea

Christine
Came back to this book again after having read some of it before. The intro is great, too; this passage blew me away:

"As memory required me to revisit the deaths of many of these men, I realized that I ran the danger of writing a collection in which death was a consequence of my "lifestyle." (I use quotes here, because I do not really understand the difference between a life and a lifestyle, aside from the fingerpointing. I am nevertheless happy to be accused of style.) Some who read or do not
Janet
DA Powell is one of the most remarkable contemporary poets. Another poet, Rachel Zucker, told me to read this--absolutely superb. Poets always know who's good. Strong and tender and dead on, each line is a poem in itself. Evidently, he wrote it longways on legal paper to examine the tensile strength of the line, how long it could go before it crashed and burned. The arrival of a star.
Julene
I just finished Tea from the library, I definitely want my own copy. I love his intro, how he says this is not an AIDS book. Good for him to differentiate. I love the concept of tea and it's use by the gay community. I remember Tea Dances when I lived in NY and would go for the occasional weekend to Fire Island. The Tea Dances on Sunday afternoons were bitter sweet because the weekend was nearly over.

This book is an amazing weave of culture. It is rich in literary and myth references, in fact he
Darrell
Nov 27, 2013 Darrell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poets, Experimental
Elizabeth
Jun 02, 2008 Elizabeth added it
Shelves: poetry
I enjoyed this very much.... and I was blown away by some of the poems. Plus, it's the right size. To have a book with a fragmented, emotional core -- for me, I can only sustain engagement with such a rendering for a while. Powell's portraits of love, lust, the impact of AIDS on the queer community are passionate and unflinching.
Kristin
Favorite pieces: most every poem in "Tea Dance"; "[she was not expecting another gentleman caller. a golden male had already been brought forth]"; "[the last dog of this boyishness is put to sleep. feckless fluffy pet: I am not saved fella]"
Zach
I particularly appreciated the nifty index in the back as a way of clarifying the gay inner circle/disco/comic book jargon peppered throughout. Also, the book looks great. Reads pretty well too.
Andrew
I loved this book when I first ran across it years ago at the Berkeley Main Library. I loved the Robert Hass blurb on the back. Nice stuff.
James
I think this book shows Powell establishing his style. It's really good, but not as powerful as the later two in the series.
Luis Correa
I've never felt dirtier and giddier at the same time. Really barreled through this focused yet playful book.
Tiffany
A beautiful book filled with beautiful poems.
Alex Beausejour
Alex Beausejour marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Dec 03, 2014
Ala'a  Muhammad
Ala'a Muhammad marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Eileen Rush
Eileen Rush marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Christopher Robins
Christopher Robins marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Sarvinoz
Sarvinoz marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Zfiore
Zfiore marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
  • Dancing in Odessa
  • My Life
  • Sleeping With the Dictionary
  • The Descent of Alette
  • Science & Steepleflower (New Directions Paperbook)
  • And Her Soul Out Of Nothing
  • The Collected Poems of Weldon Kees (Revised Edition)
  • Without: Poems
  • Against Forgetting: Twentieth-Century Poetry of Witness
  • The Sonnets
  • Kinky
2036352
D. A. Powell is the author of Tea, Lunch, Cocktails, Chronic and Useless Landscape, or A Guide for Boys, which received the National Book Critics Circle Award in Poetry in 2013.

Repast, Powell's latest, collects his three early books in a handsome volume introduced by novelist David Leavitt.

A recipient of fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts, Powell li
More about D.A. Powell...
Cocktails Chronic Useless Landscape, or A Guide for Boys Lunch By Myself