Start by marking “Tea” as Want to Read:
Tea

Tea (A Divine Comedy #1)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Visually arresting, Tea is an experimental poem-cycle with traditional formal techniques built into its wild surface.
Published February 1st 1998 by Wesleyan

To ask other readers questions about Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea

Christine
May 06, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Came back to this book again after having read some of it before. The intro is great, too; this passage blew me away:

"As memory required me to revisit the deaths of many of these men, I realized that I ran the danger of writing a collection in which death was a consequence of my "lifestyle." (I use quotes here, because I do not really understand the difference between a life and a lifestyle, aside from the fingerpointing. I am nevertheless happy to be accused of style.) Some who read or do not
Janet
Jul 28, 2010 Janet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
DA Powell is one of the most remarkable contemporary poets. Another poet, Rachel Zucker, told me to read this--absolutely superb. Poets always know who's good. Strong and tender and dead on, each line is a poem in itself. Evidently, he wrote it longways on legal paper to examine the tensile strength of the line, how long it could go before it crashed and burned. The arrival of a star.
Julene
Jan 19, 2009 Julene rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I just finished Tea from the library, I definitely want my own copy. I love his intro, how he says this is not an AIDS book. Good for him to differentiate. I love the concept of tea and it's use by the gay community. I remember Tea Dances when I lived in NY and would go for the occasional weekend to Fire Island. The Tea Dances on Sunday afternoons were bitter sweet because the weekend was nearly over.

This book is an amazing weave of culture. It is rich in literary and myth references, in fact he
Darrell
Nov 27, 2013 Darrell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Poets, Experimental
Elizabeth
Jun 02, 2008 Elizabeth added it
Shelves: poetry
I enjoyed this very much.... and I was blown away by some of the poems. Plus, it's the right size. To have a book with a fragmented, emotional core -- for me, I can only sustain engagement with such a rendering for a while. Powell's portraits of love, lust, the impact of AIDS on the queer community are passionate and unflinching.
Kristin
Dec 02, 2012 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Favorite pieces: most every poem in "Tea Dance"; "[she was not expecting another gentleman caller. a golden male had already been brought forth]"; "[the last dog of this boyishness is put to sleep. feckless fluffy pet: I am not saved fella]"
Zach
Aug 12, 2008 Zach rated it really liked it
I particularly appreciated the nifty index in the back as a way of clarifying the gay inner circle/disco/comic book jargon peppered throughout. Also, the book looks great. Reads pretty well too.
Andrew
Mar 17, 2009 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I first ran across it years ago at the Berkeley Main Library. I loved the Robert Hass blurb on the back. Nice stuff.
James
Nov 18, 2009 James rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-poetics
I think this book shows Powell establishing his style. It's really good, but not as powerful as the later two in the series.
Luis Correa
Oct 20, 2009 Luis Correa rated it it was amazing
I've never felt dirtier and giddier at the same time. Really barreled through this focused yet playful book.
Tiffany
Oct 24, 2007 Tiffany rated it really liked it
A beautiful book filled with beautiful poems.
Heidi Kuchta
Heidi Kuchta marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Salima
Salima marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
M
M rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
damon
damon marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Brynne
Brynne marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Darrin Gonzales
Darrin Gonzales rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Pamela Parson
Pamela Parson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Brent Armendinger
Brent Armendinger rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Emery Rossi
Emery Rossi marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Ambaldassare
Ambaldassare rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Maryann
Maryann rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
  • The Lichtenberg Figures
  • Reasons for Moving / Darker / The Sargentville Notebook
  • My Life
  • Sleeping With the Dictionary
  • The Collected Poems of Weldon Kees (Revised Edition)
  • Mysteries of Small Houses
  • This Connection of Everyone With Lungs
  • Dancing in Odessa
  • The Angel of History
  • The Man Suit
2036352
D. A. Powell is the author of Tea, Lunch, Cocktails, Chronic and Useless Landscape, or A Guide for Boys, which received the National Book Critics Circle Award in Poetry in 2013.

Repast, Powell's latest, collects his three early books in a handsome volume introduced by novelist David Leavitt.

A recipient of fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts, Powell li
More about D.A. Powell...

A Divine Comedy (3 books)
  • Lunch