Start by marking “American Jihad: The Terrorists Living Among Us” as Want to Read:
American Jihad: The Terrorists Living Among Us
Preview

American Jihad: The Terrorists Living Among Us

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Leading the second wave of post 9/11 terrorist books, American Jihad reveals that America is rampant with Islamic terrorist networks and sleeper cells and Emerson, the expert on them, explains just how close they are to each of us.
Published February 4th 2003 by Free Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about American Jihad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Jihad

Bryan Jaketic
My list of books to read has gotten so long, that some books have been on it for ten years. In the case of this book, the ten years of perspective is a good thing. American Jihad was probably very alarming when it first came out. Now it comes across as alarmist.

There will always be a tension between personal liberties and security. This book, to its credit, recognizes that. Steven Emerson uncovered a lot of groups making hateful speeches in our country. That is very sad, and very worrying. But h
Miriam Brown
Difficult to digest that terrorists live amongst us!

Difficult to digest that terrorists live amongst us!

Steven Emerson has done a great job putting facts together about the terrorists living in America, protected by civil rights and political correctness. To read about how jihadists are teaching in our colleges, indoctrinating our young people to convert to Islam, trying to gain control through fear and lies is absolutely mind boggling. A must read to gain an understanding of what they are doing
Eric
This is a very informative and helpful book. Its title is a bit misleading, though. Rarely does Emerson point to specific terrorists and the American town they live in. Instead, Emerson offers an overview of American-based organizations that sponsor conferences for terrorist speakers, recruit for terrorist organizations, provide funds to terrorist organizations, and spread the propaganda of terrorist organizations.

Emerson acknowledges that these groups have done nothing illegal, but they have su
Barbara
I had high hopes for this book it caught my eye so i picked it up and although it had its moments I didn't like the writing. To be fair he had a lot of information to get across maybe because of this the writing became more a list of names than the story of American Jihad.

There are several damning portions that show just how blind and unwilling to see our government was to possible terrorist attacks on American soil before 9/11. He also talked about how ingrained the terrorist fundraising and n
Royce
Interesting, insiteful, boring. Way way to many names and dates that jump all over the time spectrum. I'm totally freaked out about the number of radical Islamist's that are right hear in the USA. It is also amazing how deep they are in our own government, and how they enjoy our freedom of speech and our education system. They use all of this as their sword to strike down and "kill" as many Americans as possible. This book needs to be read by every American. It should be mandatory reading before ...more
Jamie
This is an excellent synopsis on Islamic Fundamentalist beliefs and what led us to 9-11. It carries beyond that by exposing terrorist organizations within our nation, some of whom receive federal funding as non-profit organizations, even post 9-11. Steven Emerson is very well informed and his research has resulted in documentaries and contributions to news organizations. This is a good read for someone beginning a study of Islamic Fundamentalism.
Sandy
A story that had to be told. I'd like to read an updated version, 10+ years later. What has changed, what hasn't? How has the Patriot Act affected the groups and individuals he discusses? If you are going to read this, be sure to read the chapter "Fighting Back," and of course, keep in mind that as with all religions, the extreme and militant fundamentalists are the tiny minority while often the most vocal, and destructive.
Greg
The author presents a clear case and shows that there are many terrorist organizations operating in America. I believe the book would be better if it was updated with some more current information.
Marcia
True Story. This man attends secret meetings in the Untied States and listens to Jihadists' plans to attack America. Scary stuff, but a little slow and boring to read through.
Regan
Very frightening review of terrorist cells in the US. It examines mostly pre-9/11, but also current cells. A little anti-Islam, but still interesting.
Kris
Very general, not the kind of interesting case study style typical of this type of book. Decently written and quick to read.
Michael
We need to be paying attention, there are terrorist organizations right in our backyards.
Scott
Eye opener. It's amazing what Americans will tolerate to avoid offending someone.
Steve Ririe
This is an important book for Americans to read and understand.
Steven
Dec 17, 2010 Steven added it
Very good read author is very knowledgeable source.
Joshua Embrey
Emerson is a brilliant man!
Dp4s
Political
-Demographics
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • Lights Out: Islam, Free Speech And The Twilight Of The West
  • The Secret Service: The Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency
  • The Communist
  • The Hunt for Bin Laden
  • My Jihad: The True Story of An American Mujahid's Amazing Journey from Usama Bin Laden's Training Camps to Counterterrorism with the FBI and CIA
  • My Year Inside Radical Islam: A Memoir
  • What's So Great About America
  • Leaderless Jihad: Terror Networks in the Twenty-First Century
  • Courting Disaster: How the CIA Kept America Safe and How Barack Obama Is Inviting the Next Attack
  • Now They Call Me Infidel: Why I Renounced Jihad for America, Israel, and the War on Terror
  • Reliance of the Traveller: A Classic Manual of Islamic Sacred Law
  • Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV
Secret Warriors: Inside the Covert Military Operations of the Reagan Era Jihad Incorporated: A Guide to Militant Islam in the Us The Fall of Pan Am 103 The American House of Saud: The Secret Petrodollar Connection Fall of Pan-Am 103, The: Inside the Lockerbie Investigation