The Death of an Irish Tinker (Peter McGarr, #13)

The Death of an Irish Tinker (Peter McGarr #13)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A body has been found shackled to the upper branches of one of the tallest trees in Ireland. The victim is a "Tinker, " one of the mysterious and secretive class of itinerant travelers who have roamed the country for generations. The intent of the murder is obvious - to shock, to punish, to warn. But who is doing the punishing, and who is being warned? These are the questi...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Avon Books (first published September 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of an Irish Tinker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of an Irish Tinker

The Quiet American by Graham GreeneNorwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiThe English Patient by Michael OndaatjeThe French Lieutenant's Woman by John FowlesThe Greenlanders by Jane Smiley
Nationality
139th out of 158 books — 21 voters
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherThe Thirteen Problems by Agatha ChristieThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldThirteen at Dinner by Agatha ChristieSleeping Murder by Agatha Christie
Lucky 13
119th out of 168 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Monnie
This one started as a blast from the past: An old friend we haven't seen in years mailed my husband Jack a copy of 1997 The Death of an Irish Tinker totally out of the blue, knowing we'd "get" the connection. Bartholomew Gill is the pen name of Mark McGarrity, who wrote 16 books featuring police detective Peter McGarr (the last published posthumously after McGarrity's death from a fall in 2002).

So what's the connection? Quite a few years ago, McGarrity's brother, a very tall Irishman named Hugh,...more
Aunt
I thought I had read all of Gill's McGarr mysteries - but I found very confusing the fact that the titles of the books have been changed. Although Gill was a reporter in real life for the Star Ledger his writing all took place in Ireland.
This book was a lot of fun, if scarey murders can be called fun, and contained modern information on the life of the Tinkers - or Travelers - or Irish gypsies - however they wish to be called.
Of course I've been following in the books McKarr's career but once...more
Lori
Apr 16, 2009 Lori added it
Picked this one up by chance, and it's part of a series. Kept my attention. Would be very gory and bloody if it was made into a movie, but a good story line. I want to read more in this series and figure out who Peter McGarr is.
Mwshepherd
A little different view of Dublin - not the uprisings or the Celtics, this is crime and travelers and frustrated detectives. Good accents and a fast read - good vacation stuff.
Megan
Interesting crime novel about an Irish drug kingpin and police corruption spanning 12 years - I may read more McGarr mysteries. There's only about a billion of them.
Mike  Sullivan
Good book. Similar plotline to that Brad Pitt movie a while back where he is a gypsy and has the crazy accent...the movie may have been based on this book???
Abbey
I didn't care for this book. Although it was easy to read, I wish there was a little more description with the characters. It just didn't do anything for me.
Ray
Quick read. Fairly well paced with believable characters. However leaves you wondering a bit at the end.
Rebes
Too dark for my taste. But despite that, it was still a page-turner!
Kieran
A bit gruesome.
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Anna Wade
Anna Wade marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Zadrarose
Zadrarose marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
NE
NE added it
Jun 25, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jun 13, 2014
Craig Mccall
Craig Mccall marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Debbie Karimullah
Debbie Karimullah marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Bartholomew Gill is the pen name of Mark McGarrity.

Mr. McGarrity was born in Holyoke, Mass., and graduated from Brown University in 1966. He studied for his master's degree at Trinity College, Dublin, and never tired of mining the country for material.

''One of the things they gave me,'' he once said of his books, ''is a chance to go back to Ireland time and time again to do research.''

He was also...more
More about Bartholomew Gill...
The Death of a Joyce Scholar (Peter McGarr, #8) Death in Dublin (Peter McGarr, #16) The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1) The Death of an Irish Sea Wolf (Peter McGarr, #12) The Death of an Irish Sinner (Peter McGarr, #15)