Start by marking “Infected (Infected, #1)” as Want to Read:
Infected (Infected, #1)

Infected (Infected #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  11,751 ratings  ·  1,116 reviews
A terrifying thriller that will crawl beneath your skin . . . and leave fresh blood on every page.

A mysterious disease is turning thousands of ordinary Americans into raving, paranoid murderers who inflict brutal horrors on strangers, their own families, and even themselves. And one morning, ex�football star Perry Dawsey awakens to find mysterious welts growing all over
Published October 14th 2008 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Infected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infected

Stephen
Gee...um...well...this was...uh... blue-in-the-face
...severely frustrating.

It had an interesting premise, a solid story, and truly excellent horror elements…BUT it also had shitty characters, and dialogue that grated on my nerve clusters bad enough to leave me irked with the entire effort.
facepalm-baby

Such a hope-dashing, bitter disappointment this was for me. After really enjoying Ancestor some time ago, I was looking to Sigler to become a new staple for me in the realm of science-horror. Now, after this miss, it looks li
Michael
Scott Sigler is one of those new fangled podcast novelists who is revolutionizing the publishing industry. Sigler offered audiences his first couple of novels free to the whoever wanted to download them. Through hard work and shameless self-promotion, Sigler got his name out there, drew in audiences and created a network of 30,000 plus rabid fans who couldn’t wait for the next insallment or novel.

Eventually, the publishing industry took notice and signed Sigler to a contract to put his stories i
Michael
This book did nothing for me. If you're going to give me action, then give me action I can believe and not have to stop every other page and question what I'm reading. If you're going to give me violence and gore (and be warned, there is a lot of violence and gore here) then give me violence and gore I can believe and not something just for the sake of writing something violent.

The concept of alien spores growing in humans was easier for me to swallow than anything else in this story and when it
Calypso
2.5

"Infecção" foi desde a sua publicação um livro que me chamou a atenção e pelo qual acabei por desenvolver algumas expectativas. Nem todas corresponderam, acho que esperava mais do livro, ou uma história diferente, não que a contada seja má, apenas espera mais.

Trata-se de um livro inserido no género Terror/Horror no qual tenho poucos conhecimentos. Sou decididamente mais fã de filmes ou mesmo séries vocacionadas para a área do que propriamente em livros.

Primeiramente o livro agarrou-me muito
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
AWESOME!!
Totally awesome.
Love this first book.
I was getting the creepy-willies all while reading it.
This book, by an author who formed fan base by writing chapters for podcasts, had a lot of promise. However, that promise was never fulfilled. The premise of the book is either an alien invasion or a bioterrorist attack (we're never really told) on some unsuspecting souls in western Ohio and northern Michigan. We're introduced to characters like Margaret Montoya, a doctor with the CDC who wants to stop this thing and advance her career, and "Scary" Perry Dawsey, a former U of Michigan linebacker ...more
Becky
This book has been on my wishlist since 2008, but it just never really made its way into my hands. Until now, when we have a couple things align to make that happen. The first thing that it's October. I love October - it's my favorite reading month, the month when I read all sorts of demented horror-y stuff all month long and don't feel a bit guilty about it. Err... not that I do anyway, but, y'know, I try to vary my reading and stuff. So, right, October, horror required. Check.
The next thing i
Mandy Moody
Scott Sigler is a podcast author - #1 on every aggregator, icluding Itunes. Infected is his first published novel. I picked it up because the cover looked cool, and the title sounded creepy. The short synopsis inside the front cover convinced me to buy it.
Boy, was I glad I did!
Infected is an original story that's well told, thought provoking, and fun to read. The characters are well written and believable and the story is intriguing.
This book gave me the feeling that all this was happening in r
Knotty
Wow, Scott really goes for the gross-out here. Look our Stephen King. I find Scott's books very readable (what does that even mean?) Ending was abrupt. Possibly setting up for a sequel. I want to know more about it! I may even have nightmares.

S P O I L E R S B E L O W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did anyone else get EXTRA creeped out by the association with Morgellons? Look it up if you haven't, I thought I was being April Fool's day spoo
J8J8

3,5 estrelas

Infeção é, acima de tudo, um livro de ficção científica com traços de policial/thriller que não traz nada de novo ao mundo literário mas que sem dúvida entretém.

Comecei esta leitura pouco convencida de que iria gostar e até com o pressentimento de que a iria abandonar após algum tempo não só devido a alguns comentários mas, em grande parte, devido às primeiras páginas que se vieram a revelar um pequeno entrave. Antes de qualquer pessoa pegar neste livro aconselho a pensarem 2 vezes

Kate
The government has been tracking a strange disease with numerous outbreaks in the Michigan area. The infected seem to go insane and kill people before violently killing themselves, and by the time the head CDC researchers get to the bodies, they are in a state of rapid decomposition and they have found barely enough evidence to show that there is some kind of foreign parasite involved. They find the infected through use of the word "triangle."

Perry, a former football star and recovering rage-aho
Erika
4 gruesome stars.

It's been 4 years since I read this book, and yet I still managed to cringe when I stumbled upon the book's cover while surfing Goodreads. Why is this such a surprise to me? Partly because I don't usually remember the details of many of the books I've read, unless it's super good. Why did I cringe? Because this book is GROSS AS FU...!!!

Let's be clear: I don't gross out easily. I grew up watching scary/gross movies and reading scary/gross books. I also have 3 younger brothers, wh
Infected is a crazy, impressive concept that's written from every possible viewpoint. An infection like nothing the world has ever seen before begins taking over people's bodies. Through Perry, we see the infection through the eyes of someone who has it. Through Margaret, we see it from the medical standpoint. Through Dew, the government's though process. We even experience the infection from the standpoint of the infection itself. It's fantastic to see everything going on from these different a ...more
Tressa
Doug
Feb 01, 2008 Doug rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi/Horror Fans
My entry into the genius world of Scott Sigler. The guy knows how to write. And this story of an "inner invasion" kept me on the edge of my seat. Sigler's books are not for the squeamish, nor the kiddies. Since that time I have enjoyed numerous novels and short stories by this new media master of the macabre. But Infected will always have a special place in my heart. And my kidneys. And my leg...
Cathleen
Well-plotted enough, I suppose, but most definitely NOT my kind of read. Incessant foul language, manic violence, graphic gore, and grating characters. Ending wasn't what I'd expected (not a compliment), and I weary of obvious sequel set-ups.

audiobook note: Authors rarely do a good job reading their own works, and Sigler even acknowledges that he can't do female voices. He's right.

11811 (Eleven)
4.5 stars. This was an excellent sci-fi/horror that begs to be adapted into a David Cronenberg film (with good old fashioned special effects, none of that CGI crap.) I listened to the audio version narrated by the author as a free podcast download from iTunes. The production quality was top-notch and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Theresa Leone Davidson
"Men are looking for us...KILL us...YIKES" OK, you have to read this to understand why this line is so funny. Evil blue triangles embed themselves into unsuspecting humans, malevolent, horrifying things that no one can explain, and they eventually make their human hosts turn psychopathic and kill everyone in sight. But it's when the triangles start talking to the humans, letting on tidbits like their fear of police, Columbo in particular, that the book can make you laugh out loud, a relief from ...more
Christina White
This book was a really strange read. Sci-fi should have a sub category called "super deluxe sci-fi", and this one could be the book that sets the bar. The author did a good job laying out the plot and I found my self wanting to keep turning the pages. Scott Sigler is creative, I'll give him that, but wow.. what a weirdo! (view spoiler) ...more
Chris
Podcaster Scott Sigler’s first two novels, "Earth Core" and "Ancestor," were released in audiobook format over the internet to more than 30,000 subscribers. His latest work and first major print release, Infected, is an engrossing, albeit gruesome, thriller with a touch of the supernatural and enough blood, guts and gore to please popular fiction fans en masse.

Perry Dawsey is a fallen athlete from Ann Arbor, Michigan, who spent his former college days on the football field as a local hero. After
Patrick D'Orazio
Okay, a book called infected. I am a fan of apocalyptic fiction, viral plagues, etc. Typically you are on the outside looking in, at least in most of the horror that I have read. You don't really understand the plague victims in their insanity, rage, or just plain barbaric behavior. You just want to see them kill, or see them wiped out, depending on your view point.
What we have here is a hard science view of a highly detailed infection where us humans get to play host to a bunch of triangle sha
Duchess Nicole
Well, my husband and I listened to this on itunes as a free podiocast. The narrator is also the author, Scott Sigler. For the most part, he did a great job. I was excited to listen to him, to the inflection in the way he meant for it to be read that a reader normally has to create in their mind. Though whoever the producer was did some funky stuff with his voice on certain characters.

The book was great, if a bit gross in parts for my taste. It was a weird mix if sci-fi and horror, which I don't
Guestford_junkie
Dew Phillips and his partner in the CIA are on a top secret mission, chasing after madmen who are homicidal and suicidal, possibly infected with some new disease. Teamed with them is Margaret Montoya from the CCID, called upon to run autopsies on the victims of the infection. There's just one problem, there's never enough remains to autopsy, the corpses either burnt or liquefied. What they need is a fresh or alive host.

Perry Dawsey has a different life from what he once thought he'd have. Once
Cláudia P.
A melhor maneira de descrever a experiência de ler este livro é que foi NO-JEN-TA.

Porquê? Porque eu sou daquelas pessoas que nunca na vida poderia ser médica. Sangue não me faz impressão mas tecidos moles, órgãos internos e coisas do estilo deixam-me arrepiada até à medula.

Este livro poder-se-ia bem inserir naquele tipo de séries televisivas como os V ou a Vieram em Paz ou algo do género; séries de que eu até gosto. A narrativa é incrivelmente corrente e deixa-nos na expectativa para o que vem d
Célia
“Infecção” começou por consistir numa série de podcasts lançados pelo autor americano Scott Sigler, em 2006. Depois do elevado número de vendas dos podcasts desta e de outras histórias, o autor conseguiu um contrato com a editora Random House, que permitiu que as suas histórias estivessem disponíveis fisicamente, em livros.

Estamos perante uma história que se encaixa nos géneros de terror e ficção científica, e se tenho vindo a explorar com curiosidade alguns livros dentro do segundo, definitivam
Angela
I wanted to like this book. I was ready to let it entertain me with its creepy-sounding premise: alien spores infecting hapless human beings and turning them violent and delusional, while directing them to some mysterious purpose. Meanwhile the government has to race to figure out what's going on before word of the violence spreads to the general public--and before the aliens become enough of a genuine threat that military action must be taken.

Okay, cool, I thought. However, the book that that p
Catalina
I enjoyed Scott Sigler's "Nocturnal" very much, so I searched out more books by him. I picked this one because it dealt with themes I am intrigued by: Pandemics, end of the world stuff and how ordinary people deal with them. I also liked that it was a trilogy. This first book did not win me over completely because if focused too much time on the gory effects of the infection on the sufferers rather than the investigators. This technique gives the readers the answers rather than having us try to ...more
Jason
4 stars, but for delivering the thrills, chills, and gross outs, it is a 5 star. This is a fairly typical take on "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", but with a modern and graphic twist. Sigler has created one bad ass protagonist who I found that I liked, I empathized with, and I believed. This is a thriller at it's heart and science fiction novel for a story line. The pacing is a bit uneven at times which can be forgiven as this is a first novel in a series, an much of it provides great setup. Th ...more
Nora aka Diva
Possible Spoilers!!

This was a fun read, weird in places true. I have some questions that were not answered but I don't think this lessons the enjoyment of the novel at all. It was interesting to "see" so to speak the transformation(both mentally & physically) of Perry as the seeds took root and grew within him. It would have been nice to find out where exactly they came from & what exactly that gateway was leading to but it was never said. All in all if you suspend belief a bit and let t
Mike (the Paladin)
Well....humm, this review is going to be a little mixed. First I gave it 2 stars, but I think I'm going to at least try the next book in the series.

Now, why the rating and why try the next book?

Well, the idea behind the book is interesting. As movie goers and readers already know. For example (view spoiler) The book was interesting enough that I found I wanted to see how the writer worked
Singley Staff Boo...: Infected 11 9 Feb 03, 2014 06:45PM
[asmb] Book Club: Infected 27 19 Oct 02, 2011 12:14PM
  • 7th Son: Book Three - Destruction
  • Crescent
  • Wasteland
  • South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • Beneath (Origins Edition, #3)
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • Underwood and Flinch
  • Hater (Hater, #1)
  • The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)
New York Times best-selling novelist Scott Sigler is author of the INFECTED trilogy (INFECTED, CONTAGIOUS and PANDEMIC), ANCESTOR and NOCTURNAL, hardcover hardcover thrillers from Crown Publishing; and the co-founder of Empty Set Entertainment, which publishes his Galactic Football League series (THE ROOKIE, THE STARTER, THE ALL-PRO and THE MVP).
Before he was published, Scott built a large online
More about Scott Sigler...
Contagious (Infected, #2) Ancestor Nocturnal Earthcore The Rookie

“Despair filled his skull even more tightly than his own brain. All around him cars filled with normal people perfectly unaware of the disease turning Perry's body inside out. Fucking normal people.” 23 likes
“In a life where waking hours are draped in the costume of horrid nightmare, where reality has suddenly become questionable, it's easy to be scared by dreams.” 3 likes