Start by marking “The Pool of Fire (The Tripods, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Pool of Fire (The Tripods, #3)

The Pool of Fire (The Tripods #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  5,099 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
Will narrates further fight against alien Tripods. With taciturn Fritz, peddlers recruit more rebels. In four years, a spaceship will bring machines that poison Earth air for the Masters. Leader Julius sends Will, his cousin Henry, brilliant scientist 'Beanpole' Jean-Paul against the three Cities. Can they capture a subject for experiments and save the world?
Published August 30th 1984 by Puffin Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Pool of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pool of Fire

Miriam
Okay, but definitely the weakest of the trilogy. Felt more like a summary of how everything got resolved than its own story, and Will is increasingly hard to like. His heedlessness and sulking and self-absorption seem correct when he's thirteen; less understandable (or even believable) when he's in his late teens and chosen for special missions essential to the fate of all humanity.

As the characters grow older and interact with a wider range of the populace, the omission of women also becomes m
mlady_rebecca
Checked this one off the other day as read, but never got around to a review. I enjoyed this book, the whole trilogy. Kinda fun rereading a childhood favorite.

I've read a lot of discussion lately on protecting children from books, and I look back at books like this and I'm so glad I read them. The lessons they had about self-sacrifice, independence, the value of having your own mind and not living in easy complacency. They had a hand in forming who I am today. Would I be the same person if I'd
Farnaz Ps
Jul 22, 2015 Farnaz Ps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فانتزیها
مسئله این بود که بسیاری از کسانی که دوشادوش ما جنگیده و ارباب ها را شکست داده بودند، حالا در همه جا ادعا میکردند که بیش از دیگران حق و حقوق دارند...
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Pool of Fire (The Tripods #3), John Christopher
عنوان: برکه آتش، از مجموعه چهارگانه های جان کریستوفر؛ نوشته: جان کریستوفر؛ مترجم: محمدرضا زمانی؛ چاپ نخست، تهران، کانون پرورش فکری کودکان و نوجوانان، 1353؛ در 235 ص؛
عنوان: برکه آتش، از مجموعه چهارگانه های جان کریستوفر؛ نوشته: جان کریستوفر؛ مترجم: مهرداد تویسرکانی؛ تهران، قدیانی، کتابهای بنفشه، 1386؛ در 197 ص؛ شابک: 9644179161؛

George
Feb 16, 2016 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
"Η Λίμνη της Φωτιάς", εκδόσεις Σίμωσι.

Τρίτο και τελευταίο βιβλίο της νεανικής σειράς επιστημονικής φαντασίας "Οι Τρίποδες", που αποτελείται από τρία βασικά βιβλία (αυτά που διάβασα δηλαδή) και ένα πρίκουελ με τον τίτλο "When the Tripods Came", το οποίο μας δείχνει πως οι εξωγήινοι κατέκτησαν την Γη (δυστυχώς το συγκεκριμένο δεν έχει μεταφραστεί στα ελληνικά). Νομίζω ότι η σειρά κλείνει ικανοποιητικά με το τρίτο αυτό βιβλίο.

Η ιστορία αρχίζει ακριβώς από το σημείο που τελείωσε η ιστορία του δεύτερ
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

After discovering the Tripods' plot to destroy mankind, Will rushes back to the White Mountains to tell the other uncapped humans. With a race against time to overthrow the Tripods, Will and his friends must go across the globe recruiting massive amounts of youth to deal the final blow to the aliens.

After capturing a Tripod, they discover that alcohol has a sleep-inducing effect on the aliens. Armed with this new knowledge, will the resistance be able to ta
Wesley
Dec 07, 2011 Wesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't stress how much I've enjoyed these books. Such a simple story, simple layout but executed wonderfully. For me at least, it grasped my attention to it's fullest. Obviously if you're about to read the 3rd book then you've read the first 2. You won't be disappointed with "The Pool Of Fire." Read on.

format: audiobook (one of the best)
پگاه
Mar 14, 2016 پگاه rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
هرچی خواستم بنویسم، دیدم اسپویل میشه.
ولی چه قدر خوب بود. چه قدر نفهمیدم که واقعا دنیا با وجود سه پایه ها بهتر بود یا نه.
چه قدر یه فانتزی خالی نبود.:)
Philippa Dowding
Jan 21, 2016 Philippa Dowding rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still pretty enjoyable, but my least favourite of the 3 books. It felt a little hurried perhaps, or maybe a little predictable. This story is the one I remember least from reading it as a child, so maybe it didn't make as huge an impression on me as the first two did then either. Still, the description of the balloon attack is interesting, and traversing the Panama canal by balloon is pretty cool. The ending definitely felt hurried, as they try to set up a United Nations in about 4 pages. Also t ...more
May 23, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boys, scifi
While I can’t say that I was disappointed by this final chapter to the Tripods Trilogy, I have to admit that was just slightly below the first and second books in the series (The White Mountains and The City of Gold and Lead, respectively). The story takes off from where we were left, at the end of The City of Gold and Lead-In a world where alien Masters control all of mankind through strange, mandatory metal caps, only one small group of free men survive, hidden in a remote camp. Will, our stor ...more
Tom Lee
Sort of feels like the series deserves 3.5 or 4 for achieving its aims so fully but the individual books feel sleight and those aims are arguably too modest. As Becks said, it's interesting to read sort of proto YA. Makes me want to revisit the Narnia series too.

Christopher deserves credit for surprisingly good prose. I'd say the YA-ness shines through in two main ways. First, the characterizations, while unspooled with obvious skill, are broad and serve a sort of moralistic or instructive func
Space
Nov 01, 2011 Space rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The third in the White Mountains trilogy, this was the last book I read on the Tripods. Apparently now there is a fourth, but as far as I knew at the end of this book, the good guys won, and there were no more tripods or aliens. I will someday go back and read the fourth, but for now, I've read this trilogy many times. It still holds that nostalgic feeling for me, as I was introduced to the series as a child. I can't recommend it enough, and hope everyone who has kids keeps this story alive for ...more
Austen
May 09, 2010 Austen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
The final chapter of the Tripods trilogy was very well done. I have always been curious as to what happened 50-100 years down the road as Will 'left his seas and islands'. Did mankind make it out to the stars to confront the Masters? Were they able to hold their emotions in check? Christopher leaves open some very future-directed questions to the fate of the characters, but the book itself was wonderful.
Scott Anderson
Dec 01, 2011 Scott Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-16-30
The third in the Tripods series, this book tells the story of how the humans eventually overcame the Masters and freed themselves and the earth.

A fitting conclusion, just as good as all the rest of the books. It involves a lot of danger and action as always, and the human characters make the story seem believable. This is one of the first every dystopia novels for young adults, and it has set the standard ever since.
Odile
Jun 12, 2011 Odile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally loved the 3rd book, read it in one morning!
I love the ending... how so very human!
I wonder if there is another series after this one, following Will and his friends but at the same time I think it is just perfect where it stopped.
Rachel
Dec 02, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a very long time ago as a teenager and really liked it. I still remember things about the story that make me want to reread it.
Lavendersbluegreen
I just reread this trilogy after many years and wow it was better than ever! Apparently there is even another book… so I will have to check it out too.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 03, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like sf
The last book in the Tripods series. Can the resistance group defeat the Tripods, and free humans from their mental control?
Alisha Erin
Oct 12, 2011 Alisha Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Absolutely fabulous end. I cannot believe it has taken me so long to reread this. I really recommend them.
Anthony Ventrello
This conclusion to "The Tripods" is as exciting as the others in the trilogy and makes the reader wish there was more. A bittersweet ending to a great sci-fi trilogy.
Ashley
Feb 07, 2008 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
An excellent ending to the series.
Daniel
Nov 19, 2010 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The exciting conclusion of the tripods series. Complete with social commentary on Man.
Lowden
Jun 28, 2009 Lowden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing dialogue from the human side of a war of men versus aliens.
Rayni
Oct 26, 2007 Rayni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wondered if the series would end satisfactorily for me. It did.
Nathaniel
Mar 10, 2017 Nathaniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked it
F.J.Samanes F.J.Samanes
Es el libro que cierra una trilogía que creo que es una gran precursora de las actuales sagas distópicas (Los juegos del hambre, Divergente...)
Caleb
Mar 20, 2017 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked it alot
Myles
Apr 23, 2011 Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff, skiffy, topian
I could cut a long review short: The Tripod Trilogy is a terrific sf series for the young ones, the darkest revelation of a post-tripod-conquest world is, obviously, that women don't matter at all. Where does that leave all the young men?

I read these books when I was 11 or 12 at the same time as other juvenile genre pieces from C.S. Lewis to Tamora Pierce, and I can't remember if I noticed the lack of girls then. I possibly was too busy having a crush on the strong-but-silent Fritz....

The story
Amanda
Mar 20, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think my passion for these books can be overstated.

When I was in 6th grade, the day after reading that a character previously thought dead at the end of “The City of Gold and Lead” was, in fact, alive, I told my teacher that I was “partying in my head.” The thrill upon re-reading that section, now some 20 years later (!) was, I swear, not in any way diminished.

This third book, of the Tripods Trilogy, was definitely a “wrapping up” story. I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that, of cour
Wisdom Zelda
Disappointment

STOP!!! You, O Reader, must stop reading and listen to this warning now. The book that this review tells about is the third book of the series The Tripods. Understood? Do you take upon all responsibilities? Yes? Good. O Guardian of the Review, open the gate! (Yes, by the way he exists).

The Pool of Fire, by John Christopher (oh yes, Samuel Youd) is the follow-up of The City of Gold and Lead, which is the follow-up of The White Mountains. Now that Julius and the scientists have the s
Sci-fi and Heroic...: The Pool of Fire discussions 9 14 Apr 24, 2011 09:20AM
  • This Time of Darkness
  • Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)
  • The Keeper of the Isis Light (Isis, #1)
  • Devil's Hand
  • This Star Shall Abide (Children of the Star, #1)
  • Those Who Watch
  • The Boy Who Reversed Himself
  • The Missing Persons League
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Cobra Trilogy
  • The Runaway Robot
  • Starman Jones
  • Ardneh's Sword (Empire of the East, #4)
  • Children of the Lens (Lensman, #6)
  • The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 3
  • Saturday, the Twelfth of October
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)
  • Fire Margins (Sholan Alliance, #3)
2001324
Sam Youd was born in Lancashire in April 1922, during an unseasonable snowstorm.

As a boy, he was devoted to the newly emergent genre of science-fiction: ‘In the early thirties,’ he later wrote, ‘we knew just enough about the solar system for its possibilities to be a magnet to the imagination.’

Over the following decades, his imagination flowed from science-fiction into general novels, cricket nove
More about John Christopher...

The Tripods (4 books)
  • When the Tripods Came (The Tripods, #0.5)
  • The White Mountains (The Tripods, #1)
  • The City of Gold and Lead (The Tripods, #2)

“I was remembering the things we had done together, the times we had had. It would have been pleasant to preserve that comradeship in the days that came after. Pleasant, but alas, impossible. That which had brought us together had gone, and now our paths diverged, according to our natures and needs. We would meet again, from time to time, but always a little more as strangers; until perhaps at last, as old men with only memories left, we could sit together and try to share them.” 57 likes
“Some people are oil and water.” 32 likes