Start by marking “I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan” as Want to Read:
I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan

I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,251 ratings  ·  175 reviews
From the time they met in 1950, through the 1990's, Ronald Reagan wrote letters to his wife, Nancy. In this beautiful book, those extraordinary letters are woven into a moving portrait of a long and loving marriage as Nancy Reagan shares not only the letters but also her reflections on them, and on the life that she and Ronald Reagan shared.
Published February 26th 2002 by Random House Trade (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You, Ronnie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You, Ronnie

My Darling Wife,

This note is to warn you of a diabolical plot entered into by some of our so-called friends - (ha) calendar makers and even our own children. These and others would have you believe we've been married 20 years.

20 minutes maybe - but never 20 years. In the first place it is a known fact that a human cannot sustain the high level of happiness I feel for more than a few minutes - and my happiness keeps on increasing.

I will confess to one puzzlement but I'm sure it is just some trick
Jonathan Walters
Still one of my favorites. I have deep, mixed feelings about Reagan as a president, but the private side of the man portrayed by this book was fantastic to read about, and helped me view his relationship with Nancy and his death in a much more personal light.
Heather Morrow
An absolutely heart-melting collection of love letters. I could read this book again and again and again. And I want my daughters to read it when they're older.
I've always liked Ronald Reagan. I've always respected the way that he handled things while in office, and the strong stand that he took on things that he believed in. When I found out about this book, I was interested, because it was a side that I really hadn't seen before.
I would highly recommend this book. If you're anything like me, however, be prepared to cry. I already get teared up when I see Reagan's funeral clips and read his Alzheimer's letter. This book did me in. By the time I was t
It doesn't matter what your political affiliation is! This isn't about politics, it is about one man's love for his wife and how he made her feel special.

There were times while reading these letters that I had tears in my eyes. There was no reason to be crying, there was nothing in the words that made them fall. They fell because no matter what anyone will ever tell me, there is that storybook love and you see it in every one of these letters.

Ronald Reagan may have started out as a Democrat and
I liked this book, but there were a few things holding me back from completely enjoying it. The letters from Ronald Reagan were touching, and despite the fact that I'm not a romantic person, I found myself thinking they were the sweetest couple to ever live. But, I wasn't a big fan of how Nancy Reagan seemed to have no identity outside of being Mrs. Reagan. She started to irritate me the more I read because she seemed to have no independence or sense of self beyond her role as a wife. Overall, i ...more
I would love to find a man like this. There is nothing more precious than a sweet note from the man you love. I wish more men understood the beauty we women find in such simple, yet thoughtful acts. I never need flowers, jewelry, dinners....all I need is to read something a man wrote about his feelings for me and I will fall hook, line and sinker.
Julie Stevenson
I love this book! The letters that Ronnie wrote to Nancy are amazing and truly show the deep love between them. There are graphics of many of the letters, cards, and messages that Ronnie wrote to Nancy in the book, some of which she has framed for her home. The book also detailed their fifty plus years together in both private and the public eye. It was easy to see through his letters how deeply Ronnie loved Nancy and always put her first above his career. She did the same. As I neared the end o ...more
Jun 26, 2015 Maria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
Ronald Reagan was the first President that I ever voted for. I was thrilled that he was elected. I remember watching the results that night. I remember where I was when he was shot. I remember both of their cancer scares. I remember sitting on my living room floor crying when I watched his funeral. I didn't know him at all. Of course I didn't...

This amazing collection of letters that Nancy saved and then shared with the world give an entirely new perspective on the man. This is a love story for
Even famous people take time to write love letters. (on White House stationery, but still) A great gift book.
 Barb Bailey
I like to read a few letters or diary books a year. They are easy reads and they let you have a good glimpse into the writers life. I had several thoughts while reading this slim volume. In the early years of the Reagan's marriage I thought maybe Nancy was insecure , clingy and demanding and perhaps Ronnie thought she needed constant reassurance. By the middle of the book I thought Ronnie thought he could make brownie points with Nancy and he was a bit over zealous about his writing skills as I' ...more
This book is a quick read, I finished it in a day, but boy is it an amazing read. The love between Ronald and Nancy Reagan is absolutely beautiful and even from reading their letters it’s totally palpable. I don’t want to ruin the book for those of you who are interested in reading it, but here are a few of my favorite quotes. (Most of these made me cry if we’re being completely honest.)

“I don’t even mind that life made me wait so long to find you. The waiting only made the finding sweeter.”

What a wonderful book! I'm happy to remember President Reagan, in this the year of his death, by reading this book. It's a great book to read in small bites. And it was so easy to get choked up too, that I interspersed several other books with reading this one.

When my husband and I were first dating and he lived in Chicago and I in Denver, we didn't have email. And very few people had mobile phones; those who did did not have "unlimited nights and weekends". The first month he was in school, my
I bought this book for a quarter at the library. My plan was to use it as a trade at the local dollar book store. A book and a buck for a book - I was out of books I was willing to trade. But when I got home I thought I might like to read it and put it on a bookshelf. When I started it in May I was really enjoying it and read it for a few days. One afternoon, I set it out of the way in my baby's room and kept forgetting to get it when he was awake. So I started reading other things and forgot ab ...more
Ronald Reagan: actor, California governor, president … romantic?? I never realized it before, but it would seem that our fortieth president had the heart of a poet.

This slim volume — many of its 189 pages are filled with handwritten copies of Reagan’s notes or photos of him and Nancy together — is a heartwarming read. Reagan was certainly a clever, creative writer, and his devotion to Nancy is sweet and admirable. The letter on the dust jacket, written to Nancy on their anniversary, is a fine ex
It sounds nerdy, but I COMPLETELY LOVED reading this book. I smiled and laughed and just really enjoyed reading this. I picked it up at my parent's house over Thanksgiving and I am so glad I did. It's Nancy Reagan writing a little history of their love story with letters from "Ronnie" throughout. There love story is probably one of my favorites of all time, including fictional love stories.

I also enjoyed learning little, interesting facts about early Hollywood, politics and how even famous peop
Susan O'Bryant
Ronald Reagan had such a special way about him. His humor and candid demeanor was like the icing on the cake, for his poetic heart was dedicated and true to his Nancy, the love of his life. This book, written by Nancy, features the letters, doodles, and telegrams sent to her over their 52 years of marriage (plus 1 year of dating). Nancy also shares with us the background story of their life together - how their careers and goals changed to lead them to the White House.

It was a pleasure to read t
Reading this book, I learn a lot about how to maintain a relationship, a marriage. Couples must support each other, and be expressive about how each feels to his/her spouse. Knowing that your loved one cares about you so much and think of you a lot helps you survive the relationship, no matter what.

Well, Nancy and Ronnie were so much in love, which is a great base for all relationship. But, they were also able to maintain the love. It's what more important. Because, many couples start with such
I really enjoyed this book. I don't read a lot of non-fiction but someone loaned this to me, and I found myself unable to stop devouring it after reading just one page. It's not political at all for those of you who may be turned off by politics. It is the love story of Ronnie and Nancy and boy, that man could write! It is completely clear to me now why RR is considered "the great communicator." I find myself now wanting to know so much more about him, his Presidential administration, and why hi ...more
Forever I've thought this was a collection of Nancy's letters to Ronnie, not the other way around. (Reading comprehension fail on the sub-title for me.) I was pleasantly surprised, though - this is so much more unexpected! And who knew President Reagan was such a sap? Signing his letters as the "In Luv Guv" and addressing letters to Mommie Poo - it was adorable; they truly had one of those great relationships and couldn't stand even being in different rooms. Ronnie wrote Nancy letters constantly ...more
Leina Bektassova
It's all about love letters. And love. And love letters. And appreciation. And care. And love again. And how it is possible to carry it through the life. To love more and more with every day. And never be scared to lose it.
This was such a sweet book. Ronald Reagan's letters were interspersed with Nancy Reagan's thoughts and memories. She says she wanted his letters to be read by people and not just stuck in a museum or library.
What a lovely couple – they were so much in love. This book shed a totally different light on the persona of Ronald Reagan from the typical view of him as president. Never knew he doodled so much. A quick read and thanks to First Lady Nancy for sharing.
I give this as a gift to every wedding that I'm invited to because I think it's such a great love story. It's a intimate look at the relationship between Ronnie and Nancy, before they became a public couple and throughout the presidency. Many of the notes appear in the book as hand written copies, which almost gives you the feeling of holding the actual letter and reading it.

Reading the letters made me long for the time when people actual still hand wrote letters. The letters that Ronnie wrote
M. Barbaro
This book was a huge inspiration to me and the love Nancy shared for Ronnie helped me with my book. Well written and showed an more caring intimate side of Nancy Reagan
Who cares about the politics. The love story between these two is beautiful. This is a story of a man who was deeply in love with his wife. A beautiful romance!
Candice Snow
I'm a sucker for cute romance, and this was adorable. There's nothing more romantic than handwritten letters to tell someone you love them!
Chris Zaens
Left or right, sentimental or stoic, you'll admire the Reagans for their mutual self-giving. Great read for inspiration seekers!
Destinee Reynolds
This was one of the most beautiful love stories I have ever read. I greatly enjoyed this book.
A great insight into the relationship of a great President and his First Lady! Very quick read.
  • When Character Was King: A Story of Ronald Reagan
  • The Reagan Diaries
  • President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination
  • Reagan, in His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America
  • All The Best, George Bush: My Life and Other Writings
  • RN: The Memoirs of Richard Nixon
  • A Different Drummer: My Thirty Years with Ronald Reagan
  • How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life
  • God and Ronald Reagan: A Spiritual Life
  • Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader
  • My Father, My President: A Personal Account of the Life of George H. W. Bush
  • George and Laura: Portrait of an American Marriage
  • Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism
  • The Rebellion of Ronald Reagan: A History of the End of the Cold War
  • Dutch: A Memoir of Ronald Reagan
  • My Father at 100
  • Barbara Bush: A Memoir
  • Harry S. Truman
Nancy Davis Reagan (born Anne Frances Robbins) is the widow of former United States President Ronald Reagan and served as an influential First Lady of the United States from 1981 to 1989.
More about Nancy Reagan...
My Turn: The Memoirs of Nancy Reagan Ronald Reagan: An American Hero To Love A Child Nancy Untitled Nonfiction

“Inrealized how valuable the art and practice of writing letters are, and how important it is to remind people of what a treasure letters--handwritten letters--can be. In our throwaway era of quick phone calls, faxes, and email, it's all to easy never to find the time to write letters. That's a great pity--for historians and the rest of us.” 3 likes