I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan

I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,083 ratings  ·  158 reviews
No matter what else was going on in his life or where he was�traveling to make movies, at the White House, or sometimes just across the room�Ronald Reagan wrote letters to Nancy Reagan, to express his love, thoughts, and feelings, and to stay in touch. Through these extraordinary letters and reflections, the private character and life of an American president and his f...more
Published February 26th 2002 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You, Ronnie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You, Ronnie

Corey
My Darling Wife,

This note is to warn you of a diabolical plot entered into by some of our so-called friends - (ha) calendar makers and even our own children. These and others would have you believe we've been married 20 years.

20 minutes maybe - but never 20 years. In the first place it is a known fact that a human cannot sustain the high level of happiness I feel for more than a few minutes - and my happiness keeps on increasing.

I will confess to one puzzlement but I'm sure it is just some trick...more
Jonathan Walters
Still one of my favorites. I have deep, mixed feelings about Reagan as a president, but the private side of the man portrayed by this book was fantastic to read about, and helped me view his relationship with Nancy and his death in a much more personal light.
Heather Morrow
An absolutely heart-melting collection of love letters. I could read this book again and again and again. And I want my daughters to read it when they're older.
Rachel
I've always liked Ronald Reagan. I've always respected the way that he handled things while in office, and the strong stand that he took on things that he believed in. When I found out about this book, I was interested, because it was a side that I really hadn't seen before.
I would highly recommend this book. If you're anything like me, however, be prepared to cry. I already get teared up when I see Reagan's funeral clips and read his Alzheimer's letter. This book did me in. By the time I was t...more
Gabrielle
I liked this book, but there were a few things holding me back from completely enjoying it. The letters from Ronald Reagan were touching, and despite the fact that I'm not a romantic person, I found myself thinking they were the sweetest couple to ever live. But, I wasn't a big fan of how Nancy Reagan seemed to have no identity outside of being Mrs. Reagan. She started to irritate me the more I read because she seemed to have no independence or sense of self beyond her role as a wife. Overall, i...more
Maria
I would love to find a man like this. There is nothing more precious than a sweet note from the man you love. I wish more men understood the beauty we women find in such simple, yet thoughtful acts. I never need flowers, jewelry, dinners....all I need is to read something a man wrote about his feelings for me and I will fall hook, line and sinker.
H
Even famous people take time to write love letters. (on White House stationery, but still) A great gift book.
Claire
This book is a quick read, I finished it in a day, but boy is it an amazing read. The love between Ronald and Nancy Reagan is absolutely beautiful and even from reading their letters it’s totally palpable. I don’t want to ruin the book for those of you who are interested in reading it, but here are a few of my favorite quotes. (Most of these made me cry if we’re being completely honest.)

“I don’t even mind that life made me wait so long to find you. The waiting only made the finding sweeter.”

“Wit...more
Antof9
What a wonderful book! I'm happy to remember President Reagan, in this the year of his death, by reading this book. It's a great book to read in small bites. And it was so easy to get choked up too, that I interspersed several other books with reading this one.

When my husband and I were first dating and he lived in Chicago and I in Denver, we didn't have email. And very few people had mobile phones; those who did did not have "unlimited nights and weekends". The first month he was in school, my...more
Amberly
I bought this book for a quarter at the library. My plan was to use it as a trade at the local dollar book store. A book and a buck for a book - I was out of books I was willing to trade. But when I got home I thought I might like to read it and put it on a bookshelf. When I started it in May I was really enjoying it and read it for a few days. One afternoon, I set it out of the way in my baby's room and kept forgetting to get it when he was awake. So I started reading other things and forgot ab...more
Beth
Ronald Reagan: actor, California governor, president … romantic?? I never realized it before, but it would seem that our fortieth president had the heart of a poet.

This slim volume — many of its 189 pages are filled with handwritten copies of Reagan’s notes or photos of him and Nancy together — is a heartwarming read. Reagan was certainly a clever, creative writer, and his devotion to Nancy is sweet and admirable. The letter on the dust jacket, written to Nancy on their anniversary, is a fine ex...more
Robyn
It sounds nerdy, but I COMPLETELY LOVED reading this book. I smiled and laughed and just really enjoyed reading this. I picked it up at my parent's house over Thanksgiving and I am so glad I did. It's Nancy Reagan writing a little history of their love story with letters from "Ronnie" throughout. There love story is probably one of my favorites of all time, including fictional love stories.

I also enjoyed learning little, interesting facts about early Hollywood, politics and how even famous peop...more
Susan O'Bryant
Ronald Reagan had such a special way about him. His humor and candid demeanor was like the icing on the cake, for his poetic heart was dedicated and true to his Nancy, the love of his life. This book, written by Nancy, features the letters, doodles, and telegrams sent to her over their 52 years of marriage (plus 1 year of dating). Nancy also shares with us the background story of their life together - how their careers and goals changed to lead them to the White House.

It was a pleasure to read t...more
Nadiah
Reading this book, I learn a lot about how to maintain a relationship, a marriage. Couples must support each other, and be expressive about how each feels to his/her spouse. Knowing that your loved one cares about you so much and think of you a lot helps you survive the relationship, no matter what.

Well, Nancy and Ronnie were so much in love, which is a great base for all relationship. But, they were also able to maintain the love. It's what more important. Because, many couples start with such...more
Carrie
I really enjoyed this book. I don't read a lot of non-fiction but someone loaned this to me, and I found myself unable to stop devouring it after reading just one page. It's not political at all for those of you who may be turned off by politics. It is the love story of Ronnie and Nancy and boy, that man could write! It is completely clear to me now why RR is considered "the great communicator." I find myself now wanting to know so much more about him, his Presidential administration, and why hi...more
Ashley
Forever I've thought this was a collection of Nancy's letters to Ronnie, not the other way around. (Reading comprehension fail on the sub-title for me.) I was pleasantly surprised, though - this is so much more unexpected! And who knew President Reagan was such a sap? Signing his letters as the "In Luv Guv" and addressing letters to Mommie Poo - it was adorable; they truly had one of those great relationships and couldn't stand even being in different rooms. Ronnie wrote Nancy letters constantly...more
Leina Bektassova
It's all about love letters. And love. And love letters. And appreciation. And care. And love again. And how it is possible to carry it through the life. To love more and more with every day. And never be scared to lose it.
Eva
I give this as a gift to every wedding that I'm invited to because I think it's such a great love story. It's a intimate look at the relationship between Ronnie and Nancy, before they became a public couple and throughout the presidency. Many of the notes appear in the book as hand written copies, which almost gives you the feeling of holding the actual letter and reading it.

Reading the letters made me long for the time when people actual still hand wrote letters. The letters that Ronnie wrote...more
Mandi
Who cares about the politics. The love story between these two is beautiful. This is a story of a man who was deeply in love with his wife. A beautiful romance!
Laurie
I was absolutely charmed by the sweet romance of the Reagans as told through their candid and touching letters and cards. You could really feel the emotions of both of them. It was well worth a step back in time to read about them as a couple. Nancy filled in with her memories in between the letters. The book contained many photos of the Reagans and photos of the actual letters. Heartwarming and quick read.
Nicole
This book really speaks to the relevance of a persons personal life in his or her professional life. It is a compilation of letters that Ronald Reagan wrote to his wife over the course of their marriage, and some narrative of Nancy Reagan’s that fills the reader in on what was going on in their lives and in the country at the time that particular letter was written. Talk about a man who was really in love with his wife! I think that the letters speak volumes with regard to his character and illu...more
Voracious_reader
I Love You, Ronnie can be devoured in under an hour. While reading it, I kept recalling images of Nancy Reagan leaning across Ronald Reagan’s coffin and patting it as she spoke to him and said her final goodbyes. The image was touching: a spouse completely and totally in love with her husband, mourning his passing. It would appear from the letters that Ronald Reagan was equally devoted. There certainly were some anachronisms present in the way that Reagan regarded his wife and family, but he did...more
Aimée
It doesn't matter what your political affiliation is! This isn't about politics, it is about one man's love for his wife and how he made her feel special.

There were times while reading these letters that I had tears in my eyes. There was no reason to be crying, there was nothing in the words that made them fall. They fell because no matter what anyone will ever tell me, there is that storybook love and you see it in every one of these letters.

Ronald Reagan may have started out as a Democrat and...more
Mainon
Apr 30, 2012 Mainon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking for love-letter or wedding-vow inspiration
Recommended to Mainon by: Kathleen Cochrane
Shelves: nonfiction, wedding
I don't think anyone could help being a little bit in love with Ronald Reagan after reading this book. The expressions of his love for Nancy are so disarming, disingenuous and powerful that they gave me almost constant chills.

I gave it four stars instead of five because the reproductions of his handwritten notes are sometimes separated by several pages from where the words are reproduced in the text, so sometimes I struggled to decipher his handwriting only to find the note typed out in her nar...more
Brisbride13
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! My 3 star rating was given because I was expecting more letters; and the book actually contains more of Nancy's reflections. I have heard about the Reagan's love for eachother over the years, but these letters: what a sweet and endearing love and what a true romantic Mr. Reagan was! I liked seeing this side of him as Im not a fan of his far reaching politics and it has changed my view of him as a man. He was a sweet, warm and funny person who just so happened to be...more
Tina Levy
The Reagans, a class act.
Katie
it's like reading a classic movie. SO romantic.
Kris Wells
I was a kid when Ronald Reagan was president and never gave him much thought. I recently visited his library in Simi Valley and was impressed with all he's done in his life and what a faithful person he seemed to be. This book was entertaining and sweet. I love how he loved Nancy and continued to tell her throughout their marriage. It shows the tenderness of their relationship and how they weathered the ups and downs (and they had a lot of them) during their marriage. Loved it!
Jennifer Lyons
Sep 04, 2007 Jennifer Lyons rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romantics
This book really touched my heart. It was so nice to see that letters like this really do exist between two people that care so deeply for each other. I read it on an airplane and was embarassed to be openly crying as I read it, but I just couldn't hold it in.

I read this book right after Regan died and it really shed a new light on him, in my eyes. It made watching his funeral a heartbreaking experience knowing how Nancy must have felt so alone without her Ronnie.
Charissa
This gets 4 stars for its exemplification of love and devotion. Nancy Reagan is not a great writer, but the relationship between her and the former president is inspiring and touching. Their continual devotion to one another, through all the insanity of their lives, and the deeply emotional quality of the letters written to her by her husband make this a book I couldn't stop reading. It truly is a story of their love for one another, with no bearing on politics at all.
  • When Character Was King: A Story of Ronald Reagan
  • Reagan, in His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America
  • The Reagan Diaries
  • Branch Rickey
  • My Father at 100
  • RN: The Memoirs of Richard Nixon
  • Laura Bush: An Intimate Portrait of the First Lady
  • Running with the Giants: What the Old Testament Heroes Want You to Know About Life and Leadership
  • Known and Unknown: A Memoir
  • White House Diary
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
Nancy Davis Reagan (born Anne Frances Robbins) is the widow of former United States President Ronald Reagan and served as an influential First Lady of the United States from 1981 to 1989.
More about Nancy Reagan...
My Turn: The Memoirs of Nancy Reagan Ronald Reagan: An American Hero I Love You, Ronnie My Turn: The Memoirs of Nancy Reagan I Love You Ronny

“Inrealized how valuable the art and practice of writing letters are, and how important it is to remind people of what a treasure letters--handwritten letters--can be. In our throwaway era of quick phone calls, faxes, and email, it's all to easy never to find the time to write letters. That's a great pity--for historians and the rest of us.” 3 likes