Start by marking “The Cruel Mother: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Cruel Mother: A Memoir

The Cruel Mother: A Memoir

In 1919 Sian Busby's great-grandmother gave birth to triplets. One of the babies died at birth, and eleven days later she drowned the surviving twins in a bath of cold water. She was sentenced to an indefinite term in a prison for the criminally insane. For generations to come, the author's family dealt with the murders and the accompanying shame, guilt, and anxiety by sup ...more
Published August 17th 2005 by Carroll & Graf (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Cruel Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cruel Mother

Chana
Jan 22, 2009 Chana rated it liked it
The author's great-grandmother, while ill with post-partum pyschosis and grieving the death of her four year old daughter the year previous, drowns her new-born daughters. While the subject is unutterably sad, the author does a fine job of researching the history, and the psychological and social forces that may have led to this tragedy. It is a compassionate and educational look at not only the time and place in which this event occurred, but at infanticide in general.
Virginia Appleton
Nov 29, 2012 Virginia Appleton rated it liked it
Morbidly interesting and thoroughly depressing as you'd expect, given the subject matter. Well written but had a tendency to 'jump' erratically (I found) from subject /era.
Nov 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
In the early years of the 20th century one of the author's ancestors was found guilty of infanticide. This is an exploration of the 'crime,' in the context of the legal, medical and social framework of the period. The traumatic birth of triplets, with only two surviving, had clearly left their mother suffering from serious post-natal depression that led to a psychotic interlude during which the surviving babies were drowned. This would not now be treated a crime since modern law excludes acts of ...more
Rosalind
Aug 14, 2015 Rosalind rated it liked it
This book was interesting, but rather a lot was made of a single tragic event and I didn't think it necessary, for example, to speculate on methods of contraception in the early 20th century and whether or not the protagonists availed themselves of them. It was also quite repetitive (eg too many references to the 1922 infanticide act). Despite this, it was an engaging read and the author's personal journey to unravel the truth from this deep family wound came across with real passion. I'm glad I ...more
Cleo Bannister
This is a sad book which details in depth the facts surrounding the death of Beth's surviving twin daughters who she drowned. Beth already had 3 sons, her only daughter had died the year before and this terrible event appeared to come out of the blue.

This book is a good read, there is a lot of social history within the story including that of lace workers, horse traders, the effects of World War I as well as the fate of those mothers who killed their babies.

Sian Busby is Beth's Great Grandaughte
Adam
Aug 11, 2013 Adam added it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I have A 25 page rule if I don't get into a book by then I put it down and i'm afraid to say I had to put it down, I also read half a page three quartes of the way through and it was a wedding so because i am not interested in this womans wedding I put it down, If this book was simply about the murders and was cut down to 100-150 pages I would of have finished it, so I am afraid to say it has to go in my could not finish pile.

I will not rate this book as I feel it would be unfair, if I brought
Alison
Nov 20, 2013 Alison added it
a memoir about gt grand mother of author. see summaries. but also exploration of the practices of the times 're family life, childbirth, contraception, and the understanding of post partum depression and psychosis . and the affect that all might have on future generations - even tho the story was not really known or understood, would the ghost of it haunt later mother's in the family. well written with nice personal intersections in the middle of,a well researched piece.
Kayleigh  Holloway
Oct 12, 2011 Kayleigh Holloway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unusual reflection of a family history.
Sue Smith
Jun 14, 2014 Sue Smith rated it liked it
Very sad book- well written.
Linda Dubois
Linda Dubois marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
S.M. MacInnes
S.M. MacInnes rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Steven John Fletcher
Steven John Fletcher rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Dilly
Dilly marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Angela Burrows
Angela Burrows rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Hollie
Hollie added it
Jun 10, 2016
Glenda
Glenda rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
George Hebenton
George Hebenton rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Claire Benton
Claire Benton marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Bernie
Bernie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Angel Tompkins
Angel Tompkins marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Janina Bolan
Janina Bolan rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Shiobhan Bradbury
Shiobhan Bradbury rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Jude Wright
Jude Wright rated it did not like it
Feb 10, 2016
Kendra Sherman
Kendra Sherman rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2016
Canckorn
Canckorn rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Siân Elizabeth Busby (19 November 1960 – 4 September 2012) was a British writer.
The daughter of the Canadian actor Tom Busby and Wendy Russell, she was educated at Creighton School in Muswell Hill and read English at Sussex University.
Originally embarking in a career in arts television, she later switched to writing. Her first two books were non-fiction. A Wonderful Little Girl (2003) concerned a
More about Siân Busby...